ADVERTISEMENT

Pilgrim says Hurley

There's a chance that Hurley sees these two titles as a chance to parlay this into getting THE top coaching job(or top5) with THE top pay, when he probably knows full well that he will never have this opportunity set up for him quite like he has today. He DID struggle his first few years.. and it's certainly not easy to keep winning at this level eith this amount of roster turnover. He loses just about all of his talent next year off of these two title teams.. he could go back to tournament results that are a little more middle of the pack.

He might look at this and say "I could get 10 maybe even 12mil at UK, and that might not always be there".

You start getting turned down and your job will be devalued like crazy. Hurley is not leaving after back to back titles at what has been the most successful postseason program of the last 25 years.
But if he does, I guess we won’t be seeing you around here again, at least not under your current name 🤣

Reactions: Fox2monk
I'd offer Hurley 11mil and then another 2mil in heavily incentivized tournament results. If UK gets a final 4, he gets another million, and I have to imagine UK getting a final4 would generate a lot revenue to cover some of those incentives.

Go look at what I posted about a year ago. To make a long story short he would be highly interested in the job if offered. My brother in law is a pretty close friend of his and had lunch with him last year after winning title 1. Not a lock to get him win or lose tomorrow night but we should all be Purdue fans
I hope you will keep us updated if you hear anything from your brother in law!

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Hurley has a $7.5m buyout.

UConn has already said they planned on giving him a contract with more money and a larger buyout.

But they haven't yet and he'll at least listen to UK

The question on his mind is going to be - do I want to be locked down at UConn and pass on reviving the the most intense basketball program in the nation

Don't know if Hurley's personality would work here. Don't know if he could handle the scrutiny. Would probably be in a fight with the fans every game.
He'd try to have half of us kicked out of Rupp every game lol. He's winning bigly but just don't see the fit.

Hurley has a $7.5m buyout.

UConn has already said they planned on giving him a contract with more money and a larger buyout.

But they haven't yet and he'll at least listen to UK

The question on his mind is going to be - do I want to be locked down at UConn and pass on reviving the the most intense basketball program in the nation

And what if he goes back to being kind of so-so in the tournament? Everyone thought Jay Wright finally emerged, but his results fell back to earth a bit, after those two titles (and he also wasn't all that great before said titles). Hurley might see this as a shot to get a top5 job with a huge gauranteed contract.

Hurley has to be aware, like any coach, that he could go another 10 years without a Final4. Now would be the time to demand the world.

Reactions: CGblue
And what if he goes back to being kind of so-so in the tournament? Everyone thought Jay Wright finally emerged, but his results fell back to earth a bit, after those two titles (and he also wasn't all that great before said titles). Hurley might see this as a shot to get a top5 job with a huge gauranteed contract.

Hurley has to be aware, like any coach, that he could go another 10 years without a Final4. Now would be the time to demand the world.
and he probably will.

you can what if any coaching hire.

but Mitch is going to have to hire someone. He just had $33m handed to him by Arkansas.

Use it to get the coach that is going to be the most impactful, just don't get stupid with it.

Suffice to say I don't think UK will be handing out lifetime contracts anytime soon.

UConn on the other hand, may try

I personally believe Oats is off the table with the $18m buyout. I would actually be mad if UK paid that to get him

Something many aren't taking into account is conference realignment. Uconn may not have a conference in 5 years, or one that gets 1/10th of the big 2s money.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that the big 2 break off soon with 1-2 others and have their own postseason. We all know this is football driven, but basketball could be drug along due to media contracts.

Greatest program of all time in the reliable top football conference and highest paid coach is a strong sell. No worries about conference instability.

We really have to hope that Purdue can win tonight. That's probably our only hope at Hurley. Uconn losing tonight would go a long ways into getting Hurley.
I really don't think that would matter.

You better believe UConn has already let him know they are going to take care of him after the game tonight win or lose.

This won't be about money. I mean it will, but he's going to get paid whether he stays or goes.

This is going to be about - Do you want to be the most powerful figure in a state where all you have to do is be passionate about what you love and the program you represent.

Maybe Hurley isn't a shake hands and kiss babies kind of coach needed at Kentucky - or maybe he realizes that to be mentioned with the all time greats, he has to be at a program like Kentucky

The only thing I can safely say about his is he won't wilt from the pressure, he is a coach who embraces it, sometimes combatively, sometimes aggressively, but he'll never forget he is the coach of Kentucky

which is exactly what Barnhart is going to look for in the next coach.

I really don't think that would matter.

You better believe UConn has already let him know they are going to take care of him after the game tonight win or lose.

This won't be about money. I mean it will, but he's going to get paid whether he stays or goes.

This is going to be about - Do you want to be the most powerful figure in a state where all you have to do is be passionate about what you love and the program you represent.

Maybe Hurley isn't a shake hands and kiss babies kind of coach needed at Kentucky - or maybe he realizes that to be mentioned with the all time greats, he has to be at a program like Kentucky

The only thing I can safely say about his is he won't wilt from the pressure, he is a coach who embraces it, sometimes combatively, sometimes aggressively, but he'll never forget he is the coach of Kentucky

which is exactly what Barnhart is going to look for in the next coach.

Well, I still think Uconn losing is better than them winning. But it's probably not likely regardless, I agree.

Reactions: Fox2monk
We can offer Hurley more than UConn would be willing to go easily

This sounds like some serious fanboy crap.

Here's what would actually be the appeal for Hurley

1. AD left UConn for Arizona State so he'll have new AD and likely wants leverage to have input on who should be hired.

2. His Agent now has a monster to point as an option in addition to just wanting to get the most he can.

3. Conference/College Sports realignment. Football is talking of a Super League of 80 teams and being run by the NFL. What happens with rest of sports? Do they leave out Basketball Leagues like Big East from their "own" Tournament too?

Reasons he would want to stay in Northeast:

1. He/his Wife are from Northeast and their families (extended) are there and able to be around the program/go to games with ease, etc....

2. He's 40 mins from being king of CBB and having total control and all that he wants after a program invested/believed in him and stuck by him as they moved to Big East again. He's rewarded that. He'll get compensated.

The only people who think this is possible in the media right now are on UK end of the media. National media thinks that he will definitely use this to increase his next deal as he should--but nobody thinks it's realistic. National media may not have known the Cal/Arkansas stuff as much or more likely chose to believe he'd leave UK for Arkansas, but they know a lot about other coaches/the whispers they hear.

I could see Knicks being appealing for Hurley at some point but I'm looking at he/Jay Wright as declining the job and moving on-which you need to get on ASAP with the Portal and to replace roster spots you'll lose with guys following Cal to Arkansas or asking out to go elsewhere.
The conference angle/future is our only real shot here.

We can offer Hurley more than UConn would be willing to go easily
I don't think Barnhart is going to hire a coach for more than Cal was making.

While it would be a huge blow to Cal's ego, UK has to be fiscally responsible in this.

They just dodged a major bullet, and while they have $33m of house money now, whoever the next coach is has to prove himself. I think you pay in the range of $7m with incentives

but what I know about contract negotiation and UK finances, you couldn't fill up a thimble.

Mike DeCourcy says Hurley will say no as will everyone else of any substance including Drew, Oats, Donovan, Wright and Stevens. Sounds like Mike thinks we will only be able to get Pitino, a mid major up and comer or Power 5 low hanging fruit.

I don't think Barnhart is going to hire a coach for more than Cal was making.

While it would be a huge blow to Cal's ego, UK has to be fiscally responsible in this.

They just dodged a major bullet, and while they have $33m of house money now, whoever the next coach is has to prove himself. I think you pay in the range of $7m with incentives

but what I know about contract negotiation and UK finances, you couldn't fill up a thimble.

I think a minimum 5 year deal at 8 million a year would get him.

But I do agree we should be much more careful

Mike DeCourcy says Hurley will say no as will everyone else of any substance including Drew, Oats, Donovan, Wright and Stevens. Sounds like Mike thinks we will only be able to get Pitino, a mid major up and comer or Power 5 low hanging fruit.
If I ever need any advice on how to be a loser bitch then I will look to Mike DeCourcy

Who?

I think a minimum 5 year deal at 8 million a year would get him.

But I do agree we should be much more careful
I'd be fine with incentives that guarantee him to be the highest paid coach in America

just not a base contract.

Its past time for UK to have a coach that bets on himself

Reactions: Fox2monk and Jakerz
The coach of Kentucky leaving has eclipsed the national title game as the major news story

The UConn coach who may repeat as national champion is being talked about as the replacement, not about him coaching the game - and he will be asked before and after the game about Kentucky

Kentucky is still Kentucky folks.

I was already rooting for Purdue tonight, now I am the biggest Purdue fan in the world. Hurley is not leaving UConn after going back to back. Him losing tonight is the only possibility (still very remote) of him possibly coming to UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT