ADVERTISEMENT

Pilgrim says Hurley

UConn loses tonight = a tiny sliver of hope that Hurley may come here
UConn wins tonight = no chance
Idk Pilgrim said we should root for them to win, maybe he will feel like he accomplished everything he wanted at UConn and is ready for a new challenge

Do you remember 2003 when the UNC job was open and Roy Williams was coaching Kansas in the national title game? Doherty was let go on April 1, the Tuesday before the Final Four, and Ropy Williams was their obvious target, having turned down the job a few years earlier. Talked about it all week. That was a crazy one.
I remember him saying something like "I don't give a sh*t about North Carolina!". He was named their coach a week later.

I agree. Kentucky will not get Oats, Wright, Hurley, Donovan, Stevens or Drew.
Ky always gets an up and coming coach. One who comes here to win his NC. We don't need another guy like Cal whose good years are behind him. We make NC winners at Ky. We don't buy them. We don't need a coach to come here to become a has been like Cal. JMO

One thing to consider with Hurley. It will get a lot tougher after this years run. The lose their top 4/5 players minimum. Newton and Spencer to graduation. The freshman Castle is a lotto projection, their best player Clingan is also a lotto pick. Karaban, the Aussie is a late first, early second round projected pick. They only have TWO recruits signed for next year, 2 four star guy, one is really good, the other so so. A LOT to replace next year and will take a ton of extra work to fill out a roster hitting the portal. I get it he will have the same thing facing him at UK if he was to take the job, but UK is UK. Maybe he comes, maybe he doesn't, but it is not as big a long shot as people are portraying it to be.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Hurley won't turn down a chance to three peat. No way.
I certainly agree with this ... and I also think UConn will win tonight and cover the spread. So ... the probabilities are against us, even if Hurley were our first pick.
(P.S. Nate Oats is my first pick.)

Reactions: celtikat33
Both of these will be and are MAJOR points for UK.

Dan Hurley is not being talked about for back-to-back title games. He's being talked about as a possible replacement at UK. No other school provides that. With or without Cal, we are the needle (even when we ain't playing or winning). Our coaching search is overshadowing the fist back-to-back title contender since Florida 15+ years ago.

Also, UConn will be left outside when the big conferences leave the NCAA. Will make the monetary hole they are already in that much deeper.

He may not come here, but people who act like we have nothing to offer aren't looking deep enough.
If UConn wins tonight Hurley and UConn could do something no one has done since UCLA in the 70’s win back to back to back titles. That puts him right next to John Wooden. Being from a basketball family that probably means a lot to them.

If he losses then odd go up dramatically IMO.

If UConn wins tonight Hurley and UConn could do something no one has done since UCLA in the 70’s win back to back to back titles. That puts him right next to John Wooden. Being from a basketball family that probably means a lot to them.

If he losses then odd go up dramatically IMO.
Back to back. Not 3 in a row.

Remember when Tubby left and we ended up settling for Billy G?

Point is none of us know what goes on with our AD and his list. Cal wanted the job when it was offered to Billy G.

I know Cal had to go but I’m worried who we will get with Mitch leading the search.

Ky always gets an up and coming coach. One who comes here to win his NC. We don't need another guy like Cal whose good years are behind him. We make NC winners at Ky. We don't buy them. We don't need a coach to come here to become a has been like Cal. JMO
Agree, really don't think Wright or Donovan are the answer. Gotta go younger and hungrier than them.

Leaving a scenario where you have everything completely dialed in and are on top of your game, for a big name dream job and a ton of cash.

Reminds me of Pitino 1997.

Reactions: Fox2monk
No doubt he'll have to lose first tonight.
But IF he will take the call then he'll be the coach. 💯

UCONN will have to triple his salary to match what UK will offer. We will see how it plays out over the next two days.
Right now UK is the only blue blood in the power 2 conferences with UCLA joining next year. But the state of CA is making UCLA subsidize Cal for the lost revenue in conference realignment. NOW is the time to flex that SEC money before UNC joins the big 2 leagues. It’s a unique time that in football driven re-alignment we are the sole basketball power currently in the big two.

No doubt he'll have to lose first tonight.
But IF he will take the call then he'll be the coach. 💯
Keep in mind, the money available in the SEC is a major factor. Big East schools and other conferences won't have the resources he'll have at UK. In the end, for a coach like him, it's about the money. And winning a title at UK is on another level than winning one or more, at UConn.

Football drives college athletic revenues. The Big East doesn't have the TV revenue to disburse to its schools. Boosters can only chop in for so long.
I’m aware of football and revenue. I just think it’s more likely he is driving up the price on UConn. I hope I’m wrong.

Maybe UConn will offer him a raise but can't/won't match what we offer, will get cocky, and then say we won championships with 2 other coaches before you. Take it or leave it. That's what we should have done with Cal the last time he got a new contract.

All Hurley is going to use us for is to get a huge contract out of UConn since his contract was on the verge of being renegotiated anyway. Anyone that thinks we have a chance to land him is insane. His roots are in the Northeast and that's where his family wants to live.
Probably so but you have to make him an offer he really has to consider. You just have too.

Offer Hurley 5 years at 70 mil. Make him turn that down. 15 mil a year . If CCC gettibg 12 give Hurley 15.

Bring slick Rick home he brought us back before its worse now but if anyone can do it he can
If we end up with some bum like Cronin or something random I’d take Rick in a heartbeat because he would literally kill himself to win here again IMO. Plus UofL fans would be mad…

Right now UK is the only blue blood in the power 2 conferences with UCLA joining next year. But the state of CA is making UCLA subsidize Cal for the lost revenue in conference realignment. NOW is the time to flex that SEC money before UNC joins the big 2 leagues. It’s a unique time that in football driven re-alignment we are the sole basketball power currently in the big two.
That sounds like California.

On IG it was reported that UCONN admin is actually nervous.
Makes sense. They know they can't offer what we can. Maybe he's not interested, but it won't be because they can offer more money or prestige. If he listens then it's kind of out of their hands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT