ADVERTISEMENT

Running thread

Understand...but he said in that 100 miler they are allowed "at the 50 mile marker and beyond"

...seems pointless at that point, at least for Ursch, who's doing it "just to do it". After 50 miles, any mortal human/nonprofessional runner is going to be worthless at that point, and not need a "pacer".

He's got a less than 50% completion rate in his FIFTY milers...so, why would he need a "pacer" in a 100? Friends/support, I understand completely, can't imagine getting through that any other way.

Not dogging the accomplishment, just seems kinda silly to be inquiring about pacers for a 100 mile run. Not like Ursch doesn't dog/mock anyone/everything that he can get his hands on, so sorry if I offended anyone. Just guessing (correct me if I'm wrong) that if you get to the 50 mile point, you're goal is to FINISH...not keep any kind of pace. By that point, your body is basically done anyways...you'll do what you can do, for as long as you can.

There is no pace in something like that for 97% of the entrants, it's the will/desire to finish/complete the damn thing, which would be amazing obviously.

Guess what I'm saying is, You guys are nuts.
ohwell.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/1 4:43 PM by B.B.d.K.

It's a silly running thing but kind of a nice luxury when you're doing something like that. I'd suppose for ursch the benefit would just be keeping him going and making sure he's healthy. 50-100 miles is a long frickin way.

I used one of the race pacers last 1/2 and I really liked it especially now that I try not to run with a watch. With a watch you're paying more attention to it than what your body is telling you.

If it's an open weekend I'll probably tag along. Don't need much of an excuse to head to Colorado.

I fully get he's into the racing terminology, strategy, etc...but, just call it what it is in *this* scenario ---> support/buddy/motivation, etc.

Basically the same kinda stuff PTI(pti) has made fun of you, me, & everybody (who's really into something, whatever it is) for since the beginning of time, ..and now he's beyond the point of no return. Just find it amusing considering his past of dogging anything & everything that people love or are passionate about.

Healthy Diet? Check. MyFitnessPal? Check. Barefoot running techniques & experiments? Check Snacks/Salt Tablets/Supplements? Check. All the latest Gear/technology/etc? Check. Endless blogs/articles/theories/etc? Check. He mocked each and every one of those things a mere year or two ago.

He's a few years behind in giving in, but has come a long way from the "Lol, I just get drunk, Eat a sausage biscuit, put on my $25 Goodwill shoes & Hanes clothes and run a PR! You fags!!!" guy.

Just glad to see he's finally so far into something he's become "that guy" he's made fun of his entire life.

Couldn't be happier for the guy.
party0004.r191677.gif

I generally try to find the pace teams if they have them. They do help keep you steady and you don't have to actually run with them, just keep them within eyeball range. Once you reach a certain point in the race, if you feel good, you can break away.

Oh yeah, ultra guys are weird. Or those guys who do a marathon every weekend. I'm convinced when they all get older that they'll find out every bone in their body has to be fused due to the abuse they've given them.

* This is a great thread for runners to talk about running. Not sure why any non-runners would spend so much time here.

* Ladycat --> you're still allowed to have your pacer, it just won't count as a world record when you set one. So really think about it before going down that path
3dgrin.r191677.gif

* I think I have a new favorite running chick...

http://www.ultrarunning.com/headlines/ultrarunning-news/harrison-and-clark-named-7-ultrarunners-of-the-year/

...goodness.

* The lass and my mom are doing the Rock N Roll half here next month. Very excited to go out and root them on. It's fun to be on that side of the rope, for sure.

The NO RnR is a half I've really wanted to do just because I love NO and the thing has to be flat. I'm curious as to how much of a cluster it is. I did the Chicago RnR and loved it. Did the Vegas RnR and hated it. Thought it was a total cluster touch.

Any idea how well or poorly organized the NO RnR is PTI?

I ran the RnR full 3 years ago, and it was the flattest, prettiest course I've ever run on a road race. And it was extremely well organized. From what I understand (think from anth), the Vegas race turned into a cluster-F once they moved it to a PM start. But come on down for this one. Fantastic race.

I may have to put it on my list for 2015. I'm actually in shape to do it now for a change vs using the first few months of the year to get in shape, but don't have the time this year.

BTW - if you want a beautiful course, do the Callaway Gardens Half or Full. It's a very small race with only about 300 entrants for the whole thing, but it's very well organized and the course is like running through a national park. Because of where it is, there are few spectators, but there's plenty of course support and it's absolutely beautiful.

Callaway Gardens

Ultra runners are definitely strange breed of people. But compared to the rest of the workout universe (crossfit, meatheads, cyclists, triathlon, regular runners & swimmers), they are actually the most tolerable. Cyclists are easily the most annoying people known to man.

RE: Ultra folks being weirdos....

I think that's becoming less and less true as the sport grows in popularity. Check out these links -- they talk about a Louisville guy who in the late-90s had a record for most 100-mile finishes in a calendar year (i think it was 14).

http://mahoney4.home.netcom.com/ao100/
http://www.nbbd.com/godo/ef/100MileEnduro/
http://www.omagdigital.com/publication/index.php?i=35777&m=&l=&p=70&pre=&ver=swf

Ancient Oaks in 1999 had 6 starters and 5 finishers. In 2013, there were 67 starters and 33 finishers.

http://ancientoaks100.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Final-Results.htm

Back then, there were only 20-25 100-milers in the country. Now, there are hundreds (with > 60 being listed right now on ultrarunning.com).

I've met some old school dudes who have been doing this a long time, and I'm telling you -- they're a different breed. It's mostly very low-key/caveman-type outdoorsman freaks. Now, it's mostly normal people like myself. We're still all idiots for doing it -- but the 'average' ultrarunner is a pretty normal person.

It's crazy how many hotties go to these races now, too. Shew-wee. I would expect it's mostly chicks with hairy armpits who listen to Widespread Panic. Not the case. Here's Emily Harrison again, just in case you missed here (#6 women's ultrarunner in 2013)...

images

Nothing weird about her at all, imo.

What's a good weekly routine for someone who hasn't ran (or exercised) in a long time? I graduated high school 4 years ago at about 150 and I'm dangerously close to 200 now. Was on the wrestling team in high school and absolutely loved running, but college has done me in - I'm fat and lazy now. I want to start running again.

My brother-in-law made a resolution for 2013 to run a marathon and ended up running the one in DC in October. Kind of made me want to do the same because I saw the benefits he gained from the regular exercise and dieting. Not sure if I'll actually do any marathons or 10K's, but I want to start running again.

I've done a little research and the internet says to only run 3-4 days a week, but most on here talk about only having one day of rest. Which is best?

Originally posted by CC_332:

I've done a little research and the internet says to only run 3-4 days a week, but most on here talk about only having one day of rest. Which is best?
Don't take anything you read on the internet as gospel, regardless of the source. Everyone is different (different body builds, different eating habits, different strides, etc). Treat what you read as a guide rather than as marching orders. You just need to start running, see how your body reacts, and make modifications as needed.

What lb said. Take a program like Couch-to-5k or the Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway beginner programs and use them as a guide and then figure out what works for you.

Over the years, I've had some major low leg injuries that resulted in reconstructive surgeries so I can't take the pounding of running 5 days a week. I'm training for a marathon. I took Hal Higdon's program and modified it for what works for me. He prescribes 5 days of running. I dropped a day and substituted in an extra day of strength training instead.

Listen to your body and let it guide you.

Gonna have to skip my marathon I was hoping to crush this month due to getting the flu thanks to traveling everywhere and my GD UNHEALTHY FAMILY MEMBERS WHO SHOW UP TO FUNCTIONS WITH A FEVER, ETC. AND PASS ON THEIR BS ILLNESS.

furious.r191677.gif

* Ran 1300 miles in '13. Goal was 1500. Got injured twice and missed a combined 5 weeks so really think I could've done it. Oh well, hopefully this year.

** Thought we were running the NOLA marathon backwards and forwards PTI (pti)...

My quads are still really sore from jogging 2.1 miles Tuesday. Hope tomorrow mornings MTB snow ride loosens things up.

Originally posted by Steven1221:
My quads are still really sore from jogging 2.1 miles Tuesday. Hope tomorrow mornings MTB snow ride loosens things up.
Running/ riding is a perfect compliment. For you it won't take long to get comfortable.

100-miler on a track. That takes some mental strength. Also, I can't imagine what that would do to your hips given the bank of the track if the runners go the same direction the entire 100.

New 100-mile record

Have enjoyed following your alls progress and spring running plans. Posted a few weeks ago stating that I had hung up crossfit to focus wholly on running. Hit double digits for the first time last week with a ten miler. It felt surprisingly good (normally run btw 4-6 miles three or four nights a week.)

Decided this week I was going to shoot for my first halfie this a.m. Took off solo this morning at 9:30 at a cool 21 degrees. Again, felt strong through ten - then hit a fvcking wall - first time ever running this distance and or experiencing the wall. Went from holding a 8:15 - 8:20 pace through ten to rocking mid 9 minute miles until completion at 13.1. Was just thrilled to finish. Came in under two hours at 1:50:26.

Looking forward to the Lexington half in March.

1:50 is very respectable, especially if you've never done that distance. If you're doing RunTheBluegrass just make sure you get your hill work in between now and then. I love that race and the course but damn the hills can eat you alive. It's the only race I've ever done where I looked up and everyone in front of me was walking.

laugh.r191677.gif
- just looked at the elevation profile for the NOLA RnR half. 0 - 12 ft is the entire change. That has to go on my 2015 running calendar.

Originally posted by LadyCat92:
1:50 is very respectable, especially if you've never done that distance. If you're doing RunTheBluegrass just make sure you get your hill work in between now and then. I love that race and the course but damn the hills can eat you alive. It's the only race I've ever done where I looked up and everyone in front of me was walking.
That's what I heard. My brother and his wife ran it last year and said the hills were killer. She said it was the toughest half course she's ran. There is a half in Knoxville that same weekend. Might consider that one depending on running partners' preferences as well.

* Ladycat --> New might be the flattest city in America. In the marathon (the course I ran 2 years ago), there were two "elevation" spots, and I'm being dead serious....

- a small ramp that leads up to the road along Lake Pontchartrain (probably 10 feet)
- a cute little walking bridge in City Park (maybe 3-5 feet)

* Wild Azalea 50-miler yesterday....

- just absolutely got my ace handed to me. im sick as a dog today. dehydrated. had to stop multiple times to relieve myself in the woods. just a butt-kicking all day long
- thats the longest hiking/biking/running trail in Louisiana = 27 miles
- camped out Friday night, which was fantastic.

Somehow managed to sneak my first 40+ mile week ever in this past week. Nice to know that Ursch eclipsed that on a Saturday afternoon in Louisiana.
indifferent.r191677.gif

Physically, I feel perfect. Still trying to figure out pacing though. Really, really difficult for me turn it down a notch and be able to do my long runs at a pace that won't wreck my legs. Three months and some change away from the Derby marathon and in some pretty decent shape rolling out of the holidays... need to cut back about 10lbs to make up some easy time.

Originally posted by MobileCatFan:
Somehow managed to sneak my first 40+ mile week ever in this past week. Nice to know that Ursch eclipsed that on a Saturday afternoon in Louisiana.
indifferent.r191677.gif

Physically, I feel perfect. Still trying to figure out pacing though. Really, really difficult for me turn it down a notch and be able to do my long runs at a pace that won't wreck my legs. Three months and some change away from the Derby marathon and in some pretty decent shape rolling out of the holidays... need to cut back about 10lbs to make up some easy time.
What's your goal time?

Anyone have any experience with achilles tendonitis? I'm training for my first full marathon, which is 4 weeks from yesterday. Over the last week I've developed pain in my left achilles, to the point where today, after my long run from yesterday (15 miles) I am walking with a limp. Not sure if I should keep training, take some time off (but with fast approaching race that would be hard to do), or just give it up.

Originally posted by Dore95:

Anyone have any experience with achilles tendonitis? I'm training for my first full marathon, which is 4 weeks from yesterday. Over the last week I've developed pain in my left achilles, to the point where today, after my long run from yesterday (15 miles) I am walking with a limp. Not sure if I should keep training, take some time off (but with fast approaching race that would be hard to do), or just give it up.
I just had my first bout with this in October. Took about 5 weeks off to rest it. Check out this from Runners World...

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/achilles-tendinitis

(make sure to watch the video)

Its one of those injuries that just nags and nags. On bad days, my ankle just feels like a slightly rust door hinge. I plan on taking another couple weeks off for good measure. Surprisingly, though, it feels even better after this week's run than it did before. To stay in shape, switch to the elliptical and/or bike. Much lower impact while still keeping the legs strong.

Originally posted by anthonys735:
Is it too cold to run today? Thinking of giving it a go. Probably just jump on the trainer though.
if its windy = yes
if its not = no

Experienced folk - Going to run my first half on March 30th in Knoxville (thanks for elevation maps LC). Would also like to run the Derby half on April 14th? Is that enough recovery time for a noob?

Originally posted by Deep_oak:
Experienced folk - Going to run my first half on March 30th in Knoxville (thanks for elevation maps LC). Would also like to run the Derby half on April 14th? Is that enough recovery time for a noob?
You've already knocked out a sub-2 on your first ever attempt at the half distance, which is great. So, two weeks is PLENTY of time to recover to run two half races.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT