ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Pitino is Back: New Coach at Iona

If Pitino had been here the last 11 yrs and had the talent Cal has had he would have 4 titles at least. No doubt.
Don. You're beclowning yourself. Condolences.

You have some explaining to do. I know how this works. When people form impressions, and give their opinions, about coaches and players of other teams, what they are doing is relying on highlights. They are only looking at those players and coaches at their best. You're no doubt thinking of Pitino's best years, his final fours and championships. When it comes to our own players and coaches, everyone scrutinizes them to the nth degree - everyone is aware of every bad play, every bad game, every season ending disappointment. Here are some Pitino results at Louisville, off the top of my head:

2003: 4 seed lost to 12 seed Butler
2004: 10 seed lost to 7 seed Xavier
2010: 9 Louisville lost to 8 seed California
2011: 4 seed lost to 13 seed Morehead State
2017: 2 seed lost to 7 seed Michigan

Everyone of those is worse than anything Cal has done at Kentucky - either the seed he got (i.e., Cal has never been a 9 or a 10), or the 'gap' (difference between his seed and the seed of the team that beat him). Based on that, Pitino is the 'underachiever', not Calipari. But all you remember is Wisconsin, Kansas State and Auburn for Cal, and all you remember for Rick is beating Michigan in the title game. Apparently.

Edit: forgot one thing. Rick famously is hesitant to play freshmen, because his offense and defense are too complicated. So he wouldn't have won anything with Cal's freshmen players.

Mojo, I said if he was here and had the talent that Cal has had. Wasn’t comparing Cal and him and Ul vs ul

Don. You're beclowning yourself. Condolences.

You have some explaining to do. I know how this works. When people form impressions, and give their opinions, about coaches and players of other teams, what they are doing is relying on highlights. They are only looking at those players and coaches at their best. You're no doubt thinking of Pitino's best years, his final fours and championships. When it comes to our own players and coaches, everyone scrutinizes them to the nth degree - everyone is aware of every bad play, every bad game, every season ending disappointment. Here are some Pitino results at Louisville, off the top of my head:

2003: 4 seed lost to 12 seed Butler
2004: 10 seed lost to 7 seed Xavier
2010: 9 Louisville lost to 8 seed California
2011: 4 seed lost to 13 seed Morehead State
2017: 2 seed lost to 7 seed Michigan

Everyone of those is worse than anything Cal has done at Kentucky - either the seed he got (i.e., Cal has never been a 9 or a 10), or the 'gap' (difference between his seed and the seed of the team that beat him). Based on that, Pitino is the 'underachiever', not Calipari. But all you remember is Wisconsin, Kansas State and Auburn for Cal, and all you remember for Rick is beating Michigan in the title game. Apparently.

Edit: forgot one thing. Rick famously is hesitant to play freshmen, because his offense and defense are too complicated. So he wouldn't have won anything with Cal's freshmen players.
Shut your whore mouth... this thread was about to turn take the “cal can’t coach” turn

Reactions: LukaszObrzut87
He was years ago, is he still now or has he lost his edge? He’s no spring chicken, I’m not sure he wasn’t already losing his edge before the house of cards fell on his head.

We shall see. I’m not particularly invested either way, I can see the redemption side but at the same time Rick has already plenty of time in the sun.

Good question. At this point, I see only a few elite coaches out there and he is at least among the elite if not better than most of them. He won't be around much longer. The therapist in me looks at him and sees a miserable person.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
If Pitino had been here the last 11 yrs and had the talent Cal has had he would have 4 titles at least. No doubt.
Not sure he would have won 4 but he would have done just as well if not better. IMO, both he and Tubby were better x/o coaches than Cal. RP could not recruit as well and TS could not recruit.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
UK gave him the opportunity to win a NC. Pitino is a cheater both on his wife and his employer. No one should hire a Coach to lead young men with no ethics.
Uh, UK was next to level zero on the college bball landscape when he took over. He led the program back from near death to a championship level. By the end of his stay, his teams were every bit as good as what Cal has put on the floor, many cases better and that's not a knock on Cal.

well lets see, right off the bat he still has a 5 game suspension to serve from the stripper gate punishment and he will surely get more punishment from the ncaa once the fbi penalties are handed out. so iona is living on borrowed time. I guess its good to get you name in the news.

Uh, UK was next to level zero on the college bball landscape when he took over. He led the program back from near death to a championship level. By the end of his stay, his teams were every bit as good as what Cal has put on the floor, many cases better and that's not a knock on Cal.
UK had tradition and name, it did more for RP then RP did for UK.

I don't understand the sentiment of "College basketball is better with Pitino on the sidelines." Really?? The guy that was in charge during hookers for high schoolers, flips off fans, and lies every time he opens his mouth is good for college basketball????
Completely agree. He is a habitual liar, cheater and an old scumbag.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I would be very skeptical about sending my son to play for him after all the crap with paying for players, prostitutes, and an abortion for his assistant coach's wife that he banged on a restaurant table. Not a very good role model for your son to have.

But your Son would love him.....

Rick Pitino: "My biggest regret in coaching was leaving Providence College. They were two magical years in my life. It was a small Catholic school with a small gym I loved so much. I'm going back to a similar situation. I know I'll love it equally the same."

I thought his biggest regret was leaving UK?! Some things never change.
LOL that’s the pure BS king some here still like. (smh)

I don't understand the sentiment of "College basketball is better with Pitino on the sidelines." Really?? The guy that was in charge during hookers for high schoolers, flips off fans, and lies every time he opens his mouth is good for college basketball????

He's paid for his sins and then some. It's time to move on.

He's paid for his sins and then some. It's time to move on.
I agree 100%. He's far from a perfect person, but I doubt very much that he's further from perfect than most basketball coaches. (or fans). I never bought into the thought that UK fans should despise him because he accepted a job with UL. He didn't leave UK to go there, he left UK to be a pro coach. When that didn't work out, he took the best college job that was open to him. Its more than a little presumptuous to think fans can dictate that he can't work for a "rival" long after he moved on from UK. Not that it matters, but it's really stretching the term to call UL a rival anyway. Rivals have more or less equal chances of winning games played over the years and that's never been the case with UL/UK.

At your own jokes? At least you're a one man show.

What's your problem, bud? I was just having a little fun at Pitino's expense, sorry it offended you. Don't like it, move on. Why did you have to feel the need to be rude? Wasn't trying to be a comedian at all. Did I do something to bother you in the past? Can't say I even recognize your name much.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I agree 100%. He's far from a perfect person, but I doubt very much that he's further from perfect than most basketball coaches. (or fans). I never bought into the thought that UK fans should despise him because he accepted a job with UL. He didn't leave UK to go there, he left UK to be a pro coach. When that didn't work out, he took the best college job that was open to him. Its more than a little presumptuous to think fans can dictate that he can't work for a "rival" long after he moved on from UK. Not that it matters, but it's really stretching the term to call UL a rival anyway. Rivals have more or less equal chances of winning games played over the years and that's never been the case with UL/UK.
He went to a our biggest rival period no matter where he was in between.And there were other jobs at the time he could’ve had that was as good. Michigan and Vegas are 2. He’s a flipping traitor and flipped us off!

Reactions: lonnie boyd
Please forget my earlier questions. Looked at some of your previous posts and seems like you enjoy being negative to many others too. All I needed to know about you. Have a great evening.
How you too my teasing you as negative confuses me.
I may disagree but I never name call or get rude
Sorry you took it that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT