ADVERTISEMENT

Reeves Against Real Competition

Goodness, what's your standard? He scored 24 points last night and he gets blasted because he took too many shots. He scores double digits against legit competition and they shouldn't count as "wins" for him? So what's the standard? Double digits on the road AT Gonzaga is a poor performance? Double digits on the road AT Arkansas is a poor performance?

Where's your comment on his performances vs Tennessee both games? Where's your comment on his 37 points AT Arkansas, a Sweet 16 team?

And what about 22 points in the first round of the NCAA Tournament vs Providence?

Didn't Alabama earn a 1-seed last year? Poor little Reeves only managed 20 measly points on the road against them

I mean, goodness - get a grip on reality, man
I posted his lines against a ton of teams. No one can refute the original argument because facts are facts. Much more often than not, he blows his load against legit teams. You are free to not like that and be triggered by it, but it’s objectively true.

There might be still some bleed over from last year, where we NEEDED Reeves for offense, as opposed to this year, where we really shouldn't. That was kind of the hope when we added guys like Edwards, DJ, Shep and Dilly: That Reeves wouldn't be asked so much of.

But still.. it's crazy to be throwing this all on Reeves. He's proven he can hit shots and I don't think the opponent really matters. You get him his shots until someone else really proves to be a better option, which I don't think we've seen one yet.

Reeves shot nearly 40% from the 3 over the last two years, at two different programs and in two different offenses. Even the greatest shooter in then world, Steph Curry, will have bad nights. He shot 9 for 27 over the last 2 games.
For the 1000th time, nobody has laid anything squarely on Reeves! The reading comprehension level on this board is unbelievable. This was a thread about Reeves, but nowhere in the thread was he solely blamed for the loss. There are plenty of threads in which I discuss guys like Edwards and Wagner.

This thread was simply about acknowledging that this dude still thinks he’s a big game bucket getter when he isn’t.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I posted his lines against a ton of teams. No one can refute the original argument because facts are facts. Much more often than not, he blows his load against legit teams. You are free to not like that and be triggered by it, but it’s objectively true.
I'm not going back thru 4 pages of posts to find it, so post again if you want - but I haven't seen your irrefutable data. But I digress, 24 points last night was proof he's capable. 22 points in NCAA Tournament game is proof. 37 points on the road vs a 1-seed is proof. His performances against Tennessee last year is proof. I mean, that data is also irrefutable, right?

For the 1000th time, nobody has laid anything squarely on Reeves! The reading comprehension level on this board is unbelievable. This was a thread about Reeves, but nowhere in the thread was he solely blamed for the loss. There are plenty of threads in which I discuss guys like Edwards and Wagner.

This thread was simply about acknowledging that this dude still thinks he’s a big game bucket getter when he isn’t.
Except for all those games I've listed where he did get buckets, but it's too convenient for your OP narrative to actually acknowledge those, correct?

4 pages in, it sure seems like folks think Reeves was the problem last night, no matter how much you say otherwise.

Our guards last year were putrid, we had no real play makers. Reeves HAD to be the offense. So I'm willing to give him and the team some time to pivot from that.

I'm not going back thru 4 pages of posts to find it, so post again if you want - but I haven't seen your irrefutable data. But I digress, 24 points last night was proof he's capable. 22 points in NCAA Tournament game is proof. 37 points on the road vs a 1-seed is proof. His performances against Tennessee last year is proof. I mean, that data is also irrefutable, right?
2022-23

MSU - 1/7, 1/3 3PT, 5 points LOSS
@GONZ - 4/13, 2/7 3PT, 10 points LOSS
UCLA - 2/13, 2/8 3PT, 6 points LOSS
@MIZZ - 3/6, 0/3 3PT, 8 points LOSS
@BAMA - 7/13, 4/7 3PT, 20 points, LOSS (most buckets scored in garbage time)
SC - 6/13, 1/5 3PT, 13 points, LOSS
@TENN - 4/10, 2/6 3PT, 18 points WIN (outlier)
KAN - 3/9, 0/3 3PT, 10 points LOSS
ARK - 4/12, 1/4 3PT, 11 points LOSS
@UGA - 8/21, 4/8 3PT, 20 points LOSS
TENN - 3/8, 1/3 3PT, 8 points WIN
VAN - 4/17, 1/8 3PT, 14 points LOSS
@ARK - 12/17, 2/4 3PT, 37 points WIN (outlier; noteworthy that he attempted just 4 threes)
@Van - 8/20, 3/9 3PT, 22 points LOSS
PROV - 8/18, 5/9 3PT, 22 points WIN (outlier)
KSU - 1/15, 1/10 3PT, 5 points LOSS

12 times, he scored 10 points or less.
19 times he shot 33.3% or less on 3PT shots.
13 times he made one 3FG or less.

2023-24

KAN - 7/25, 3/17 3PT, 24 points LOSS

Except for all those games I've listed where he did get buckets, but it's too convenient for your OP narrative to actually acknowledge those, correct?
If you take the time to read the original post, you’ll notice that I clearly said “more often than not”, he lays eggs. It is absolutely true, and there’s no argument against it.

2022-23

@ARK - 12/17, 2/4 3PT, 37 points WIN (outlier; noteworthy that he attempted just 4 threes)

2023-24

I'm not sure what these actually tell us. He's proven he can make shots against the good teams. I think more than anything, this just tells us our guard play last year was not reliable.

I don't think anyone here believes Reeves should be our main offense.. but he WAS our main offense last year, and so long as Wagner and Edwards are getting acclimated, Reeves is going to get his shots. And even when they ARE acclimated, I'm not sure we should really take many of Reeves looks away.

TBH, I'm excited for how he can maybe look by mid-season, with guards around him that aren't Wheeler and oft-injured Cason Wallace. I think Reeves could be deadly when he's not THE guy, and also THE guy that opponents will focus on.

2022-23

2023-24

LOL!!! You listed multiple "outliers" - I'm not dumb enough to notice your blatant bias here. How are they "outliers" if you have multiple of them listed? There's not a single good performance you're secure enough to give him credit for?

Any good performance is listed as "outlier" or "garbage time". Or, and wait for it, he didn't make enough 3s but still scored 37 points? How on earth is that worthy of some fictitious complaint?

12 times he scored 10 points or less. But also 12 times he scored 10 points or more, and 8 times he scored 14 points or more.

So you want him to score more than 12 points, but you only want him taking 3s, but you don't want him missing too many 3s, and UK has to win the game for it to count?

2022-23

2023-24

In total seriousness, there's only 4 games you listed that should count as "laying an egg". I don't get why 10 points should be some kind of insult, nor why 8 points in a win should be considered an egg.

LOL!!! You listed multiple "outliers" - I'm not dumb enough to notice your blatant bias here. How are they "outliers" if you have multiple of them listed? There's not a single good performance you're secure enough to give him credit for?

Any good performance is listed as "outlier" or "garbage time". Or, and wait for it, he didn't make enough 3s but still scored 37 points? How on earth is that worthy of some fictitious complaint?

12 times he scored 10 points or less. But also 12 times he scored 10 points or more, and 8 times he scored 14 points or more.

So you want him to score more than 12 points, but you only want him taking 3s, but you don't want him missing too many 3s, and UK has to win the game for it to count?
Do you understand the meaning of “outlier”? I just wrote that to point out that these are deviations from the norm. So if you want to make a case that it is not true that more often than not he shits his pants against good teams, I wish you the best of luck using those precious few outliers.

This data irrefutably shows that on most occasions against quality competition he is not up to par.

In total seriousness, there's only 4 games you listed that should count as "laying an egg". I don't get why 10 points should be some kind of insult, nor why 8 points in a win should be considered an egg.
Am I arguing with a 10-year-old? Are you serious right now?

Eggs absolutely laid against MSU, Gonzaga, UCLA, Kansas, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, KSU, and now Kansas again. And plenty of other debatable eggs in those other games.

Do you understand the meaning of “outlier”? I just wrote that to point out that these are deviations from the norm. So if you want to make a case that it is not true that more often than not he shits his pants against good teams, I wish you the best of luck using those precious few outliers.

This data irrefutably shows that on most occasions against quality competition he is not up to par.
I have a much, much better grasp on what "outlier" means than you do on what "irrefutably" means...
Am I arguing with a 10-year-old? Are you serious right now?

Eggs absolutely laid against MSU, Gonzaga, UCLA, Kansas, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, KSU, and now Kansas again. And plenty of other debatable eggs in those other games.

24 points against Kansas is "shitting down his pants", but I'm the one arguing like a 10 year old?
Who decided scoring double digits against legit competition is laying an egg? I can almost guarantee you didn't even play varsity basketball in HS

Reactions: gharding07
I have a much, much better grasp on what "outlier" means than you do on what "irrefutably" means...

24 points against Kansas is "shitting down his pants", but I'm the one arguing like a 10 year old?
Who decided scoring double digits against legit competition is laying an egg? I can almost guarantee you didn't even play varsity basketball in HS
It’s completely inefficient basketball. There’s not a basketball guru in the world that would say shooting 7/25 from the field and 3/17 from three is playing well. If you are actually counting this game as a good one for him, then there’s no reason to continue a dialogue.

Reactions: crestcat
It’s completely inefficient basketball. There’s not a basketball guru in the world that would say shooting 7/25 from the field and 3/17 from three is playing well. If you are actually counting this game as a good one for him, then there’s no reason to continue a dialogue.

I'd like to see what he can do on this team. If another year passes where he shrinks in big games, you might be on to something. But it's far too early to tell that. Heck, we could make the argument that the entire team shriveled last year again bigger competition: Wheeler couldn't handle decent guards, Cason was injured, we had no other capable 3pt shooters.

Reactions: CatsFanIL
Then there's no reason to continue, because you are irrefutably hating on the kid for absolutely no reason at all. You just simply can't get over the K-St game. Games against legit opponents where he scored double digits are "eggs" - you don't know basketball. Some of those shots he missed down the stretch, which were basically desperation attempts, are being held as damning evidence against him - get out of here. He had 27 points. He had next to no help from teammates scoring the ball, a la Wagner, Edwards, Mitchell.

Who's taking the shot late in the game last night for the win? Wagner? Be real. Edwards? Be real. Mitchell, hadn't done much of anything all night. Thiero? Love him, but if it's not a dunk, he's not really scoring.

Agree to disagree. But labeling something as irrefutable doesn't make it irrefutable. Labeling something as an outlier doens't make it an outlier. Makes you foolishly biased.

Then there's no reason to continue, because you are irrefutably hating on the kid for absolutely no reason at all. You just simply can't get over the K-St game. Games against legit opponents where he scored double digits are "eggs" - you don't know basketball. Some of those shots he missed down the stretch, which were basically desperation attempts, are being held as damning evidence against him - get out of here. He had 27 points. He had next to no help from teammates scoring the ball, a la Wagner, Edwards, Mitchell.

Who's taking the shot late in the game last night for the win? Wagner? Be real. Edwards? Be real. Mitchell, hadn't done much of anything all night. Thiero? Love him, but if it's not a dunk, he's not really scoring.

Agree to disagree. But labeling something as irrefutable doesn't make it irrefutable. Labeling something as an outlier doens't make it an outlier. Makes you foolishly biased.
If you took the time to read through the thread, you would find plenty of other people that are not calling a 7/25, 3/17 3PT (6/17, 2/11 3PT in 2nd half) a solid night. Those are atrocious shooting numbers, and a good deal of those shots were wide-open.

But yeah, I, and countless others don’t know basketball….

I'd like to see what he can do on this team. If another year passes where he shrinks in big games, you might be on to something. But it's far too early to tell that. Heck, we could make the argument that the entire team shriveled last year again bigger competition: Wheeler couldn't handle decent guards, Cason was injured, we had no other capable 3pt shooters.
He’s 1 for 1 so far in laying an egg against good competition. Let’s see what happens against what might be a couple decent mid majors, and then some more ranked teams.

He’s 1 for 1 so far in laying an egg against good competition. Let’s see what happens against what might be a couple decent mid majors, and then some more ranked teams.
I think that's all any of us are saying. And for reference, if Reeves laid an egg the other night, I don't want to know what we call Wagner and DJs performance.

I suspect Reeves will be more efficient when he has more reps with our PGs. That doesn't mean there won't be some off-shooting nights, but it should be better. And I don't believe (and I could be wrong) it has anything to do with competition levels of our opponents. I don't think Reeves can't hang with the Kansas' and Kstates of this world..

If you took the time to read through the thread, you would find plenty of other people that are not calling a 7/25, 3/17 3PT (6/17, 2/11 3PT in 2nd half) a solid night. Those are atrocious shooting numbers, and a good deal of those shots were wide-open.

But yeah, I, and countless others don’t know basketball….
Trust me, there's no shortage of posters on this message board that don't know squat about basketball. And truth be told, I'm sure you and I can actually agree on that...
And it might be semantics, but there's a HUGE difference in calling 24 pts "laying an egg" vs "solid night"...

Edwards and Wagner were worse, absolutely. And my point has never been that he is in capable of ever playing well against real competition. It is rather that more often, he does not play well.

And he as a player and Cal as his coach have to address this. Fewer minutes. Better shot selection. Moving the ball. I find it very interesting that his best game in a Kentucky uniform is a game in which he only attempted FOUR three-pointers.

Trust me, there's no shortage of posters on this message board that don't know squat about basketball. And truth be told, I'm sure you and I can actually agree on that...
And it might be semantics, but there's a HUGE difference in calling 24 pts "laying an egg" vs "solid night"...
24 points on 25 shots and 17 3PT attempts is god-awful. If you distribute some of his shot attempts over the course of the entire game to people like Shepard and Dillingham and Tre Mitchell, we win going away.

And Reeves second half numbers that I pointed out are just brutal.

Interesting enough, I checked his stats on the years at Illinois State. His 3rd year he played just one power conference team, Wisconsin. Dropped 25 on them with 7 for 12 3pt shooting. His 2nd year, he played Ohio State, dropped 17 on them with 3 for 7 3pt shooting. As a freshman, he played TCU, dropped 15 on them, 3 for 4 3pt (Played just 17 minutes). He played Cinci, but that was just a so-so performance. 11 minutes, 5 points 1 for 1 on 3's and 4 TOs..

But looking at that, this tells me Antonio Reeves is perfectly fine to play in the big games.

Edwards and Wagner were worse, absolutely. And my point has never been that he is in capable of ever playing well against real competition. It is rather that more often, he does not play well.

And he as a player and Cal as his coach have to address this. Fewer minutes. Better shot selection. Moving the ball. I find it very interesting that his best game in a Kentucky uniform is a game in which he only attempted FOUR three-pointers.

I think we're going to realize very quick just how bad (and injured) our guard play was the two years prior to this one. Wheeler just wasn't that good, and Ty, Grady and Cason all dealt with injuries, some of which lingered all season.

I think his issue is that he isn't good enough to be the focus of the offense.

When he's a cog, he can be very good. He can light it up. When the rest of the team isn't going--he tends to force the issue and that leads to some of the inefficiency we see.

Down the stretch vs Kansas, no one else was really doing anything on offense. So he's left trying to create and taking step back 3's.

He missed a few open 3's, but those will come. He shot 40% last year, he's at 35% this year.

Either way, 17 is too many.

I think his issue is that he isn't good enough to be the focus of the offense.

When he's a cog, he can be very good. He can light it up. When the rest of the team isn't going--he tends to force the issue and that leads to some of the inefficiency we see.

Down the stretch vs Kansas, no one else was really doing anything on offense. So he's left trying to create and taking step back 3's.

He missed a few open 3's, but those will come. He shot 40% last year, he's at 35% this year.

Either way, 17 is too many.

I thin he would thrive as the 2nd piece. Kind of like a CJ McCollum or Klay. Not that their games are the same, but you put a great PG with Reeves who will demand attention and create his own offense (something Wheeler could not do), and Reeves could be deadly.

Just think, last years scouting report on us, probably read something like "Stop Reeves, he's their only chance to create offense". This year, you have 3 or 4 guys who can create offense alone, and thats not even mentioning Tre Mitchell or our bigs when they come back. This season should, should, be a lot easier for Reeves.

Reactions: Cats192
24 points on 25 shots and 17 3PT attempts is god-awful. If you distribute some of his shot attempts over the course of the entire game to people like Shepard and Dillingham and Tre Mitchell, we win going away.

And Reeves second half numbers that I pointed out are just brutal.
There's obviously no way to prove that, so it's just wild speculation. Give Reed the ball more, he might've just turned it over more like he did late in the game. Same to Rob, and his step-back corner airball should count as a turnover as well. I'd rather have Reeves attempting a shot than Reed and Rob driving wildly into traffic turning the ball over, or Adou attempting a 3, or Burks attempting a 3, or based on the game, DJ and Edwards attempting anything

There's obviously no way to prove that, so it's just wild speculation. Give Reed the ball more, he might've just turned it over more like he did late in the game. Same to Rob, and his step-back corner airball should count as a turnover as well. I'd rather have Reeves attempting a shot than Reed and Rob driving wildly into traffic turning the ball over, or Adou attempting a 3, or Burks attempting a 3, or based on the game, DJ and Edwards attempting anything
I’m certainly not going to argue that those guys didn’t make critical mistakes, but that’s exactly why I qualified what I said with distributing his shots to others over the course of the “entire game.” When you’ve got a dude who goes 4/5 and another 6/12 and Tre Mitchell who took only 4 shots, no way should a dude jack up 17 threes and make three of them.

I think there’s not a whole lot left to do in this thread except to come back to it after we play Miami. I would love nothing more than to have Reeves prove me wrong.

I think fans are justifiably mad about the loss to Kansas, and as fans do, they want to pin the blame. But it was a game that we all thought was a loss, or even a blowout, as we had 3 guys out already, all of them bigs. And not only do we get up on Kansas by 14, we prove we can beat them shorthanded, it's not a blowout, and sure enough, Hunter DIckinson is the difference maker without our bigs, as he goes for 20/20.

It's almost exactly what we thought was going to happen. Our freshman are still young, we are missing several key players, and we still almost won. Yeah, moral victories and all that.. but what I saw was a team that can beat anyone, and likely will once they get going.

I’m certainly not going to argue that those guys didn’t make critical mistakes, but that’s exactly why I qualified what I said with distributing his shots to others over the course of the “entire game.” When you’ve got a dude who goes 4/5 and another 6/12 and Tre Mitchell who took only 4 shots, no way should a dude jack up 17 threes and make three of them.
Do I forsee, or even hope, Reeves attempts 20+ shots per game this season? Absolutely not. But if this team is going to have success, at least at the rate BBN is craving, then Reeves needs his shots. But the bigger concern is that, again if this team is going to have the success BBN wants, DJ and Edwards have to get going.

If I'm Reeves, and I'm watching how DJ and Edwards are playing, you better believe I'm going to look for more opportunities to get buckets. I don't fault him whatsoever in his pursuit of 24 points and putting the team in a GREAT position to win the game

Do I forsee, or even hope, Reeves attempts 20+ shots per game this season? Absolutely not. But if this team is going to have success, at least at the rate BBN is craving, then Reeves needs his shots. But the bigger concern is that, again if this team is going to have the success BBN wants, DJ and Edwards have to get going.

If I'm Reeves, and I'm watching how DJ and Edwards are playing, you better believe I'm going to look for more opportunities to get buckets. I don't fault him whatsoever in his pursuit of 24 points and putting the team in a GREAT position to win the game
I don’t think Wagner necessarily needs to get going. I think Shepherd and/or Dilly can take his minutes and run with them. And I think if Dilly can stay on tue court, he is a more complete scorer than Reeves. He is capable of doing what Reeves tries to do. That’s not to say that he won’t have off games also, but NBA teams are salivating over what he just did.

I don’t think Wagner necessarily needs to get going. I think Shepherd and/or Dilly can take his minutes and run with them. And I think if Dilly can stay on tue court, he is a more complete scorer than Reeves. He is capable of doing what Reeves tries to do. That’s not to say that he won’t have off games also, but NBA teams are salivating over what he just did.
Now I'm a Dilly fan, and as of now, I'm impressed by him. But to be fair, he had what....really just a 4-minute display, not a full game. Again, tons of talent and high expectations, but he had what, 12 points in 90 secs? What about the other 14 minutes he played?

I also think it's worth noting that Reeves grabbed 8 rebs and turned the ball over ONCE in 34 mins...

Now I'm a Dilly fan, and as of now, I'm impressed by him. But to be fair, he had what....really just a 4-minute display, not a full game. Again, tons of talent and high expectations, but he had what, 12 points in 90 secs? What about the other 14 minutes he played?

I also think it's worth noting that Reeves grabbed 8 rebs and turned the ball over ONCE in 34 mins...
All I can tell you is that if Dilly takes 25 shots and 17 threes - and I’m not advocating that anyone should do that - he scores a lot more than 24 points.

All I can tell you is that if Dilly takes 25 shots and 17 threes - and I’m not advocating that anyone should do that - he scores a lot more than 24 points.
Sure maybe, but that's speculation. What's not speculation is he didn't score in the 2nd half. His last made shot was with 4:53 secs left in the 1st half.

Again, AMAZING 4-minute stretch from him. But outside of that stretch (more specifically, a 90 second stretch) there wasn't nearly as much to be hyped about.

Reactions: TCurtis75
Sure maybe, but that's speculation. What's not speculation is he didn't score in the 2nd half. His last made shot was with 4:53 secs left in the 1st half.

Again, AMAZING 4-minute stretch from him. But outside of that stretch (more specifically, a 90 second stretch) there wasn't nearly as much to be hyped about.
Awfully hard to score in the second half when Reeves takes 17 shots and Wagner takes 6. Those dudes took 68% of the shots. Dilly took two shots in the half.

Awfully hard to score in the second half when Reeves takes 17 shots and Wagner takes 6. Those dudes took 68% of the shots. Dilly took two shots in the half.
And the ones he did take weren’t even close to going in. Plus he committed ridiculous fouls. The fact he didn’t get more shots in the second half is totally on him and him alone.

There is no such thing as a "clutch player". That notion has been analyzed to death, and it just doesn't exist. Mighty Casey strikes out. Some players have done well in some important games and that becomes the story. But when you look at the numbers, the clutch player strikes out, misses the shot, flubs the putt, drops the pass, squibs the kick etc in important games at the same rate as they do in other games.

I found my post from last season. He was still a top 50 shooter in the country last season. From 3.

There has been a lot of debate about his 3 point shooting numbers vs decent/good teams. Here are the stats, judge for yourselves. It's not as bad as it seems. For the season he's top 50 in the country.
www.sports-reference.com

Antonio Reeves 2022-23 Game Log | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

2022-23 Game Log for Antonio Reeves
www.sports-reference.com
www.sports-reference.com

Michigan St: 1-3
Gonzaga: 2-7
Michigan: 3-4
Yale: 1-3
UCLA: 2-8
Missouri: 0-3
Alabama: 4-7
Tennessee: 2-6
Texas A&M: 5-11
Kansas: 0-3
Arkansas: 1-4
Miss St.: 4-7
Tennessee: 1-3
Auburn: 4-7
Arkansas: 2-4
Providence: 5-9
Kansas St: 1-10 TOTAL: 38-99= 38.3%

There is no such thing as a "clutch player". That notion has been analyzed to death, and it just doesn't exist. Mighty Casey strikes out. Some players have done well in some important games and that becomes the story. But when you look at the numbers, the clutch player strikes out, misses the shot, flubs the putt, drops the pass, squibs the kick etc in important games at the same rate as they do in other games.
What about players that wilt under pressure or bright lights?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT