ADVERTISEMENT

Reeves Against Real Competition

Who gets them? 1-12 shooting Wagner who airballed a layup? O-6 shooting Edwards who bricked a dunk? Dilly who airballed a 3 late in the game and the fouled out? Mitchell who couldn't hit free throws when they mattered because he was dead tired from his defensive effort? Adou who isn't a shooter? Burks who airballed a 3? Sheppard who had a layup and tried to kick it out which resulted in a TO? Who else should have taken those shots?

That's 14 possession where you don't even have a chance of driving and getting fouled. If he plays, fine, but he needs a cap on 3's. 17 is absurd.

Just does not get it done. If it wasn’t obvious already, it is painfully obvious tonight. Statistics do not lie, and they bear this out that more often than not he lays eggs against quality competition.

This is not to say that he shouldn’t play, but it is to say that he should not be taking the bulk of the shots or be relied upon as the go-to scorer. He simply cannot get buckets against the likes of Duke and Kansas, etc..
Yeah, he should not be creating offense and forcing shots. When someone else is creating the offense and he is setting and shooting, he's really good. When he's having to create for himself and shooting on the move or on set-backs, he's just not as good. In fact, he's not even an average shooter under those circumstances.

And here again, as I've mentioned in other threads, it's a matter of learning roles and how to finish. We were right there, just need to learn how to finish. Dillingham and Shepherd are guys who could create for others and make open shots also but they were in foul trouble and also had issues with doing too much and turning it over. They will get there, I do not doubt it.

That's 14 possession where you don't even have a chance of driving and getting fouled. If he plays, fine, but he needs a cap on 3's. 17 is absurd.
Again, who gets those shots? None of the people I listed had earned them any more that Reeves. In fact, based on Reeves performances overall from last year, including the good games like Bama, Arkansas, and UT as well as the poor ones like KState, I would say Reeves has earned the opportunity to take those shots.

Just does not get it done. If it wasn’t obvious already, it is painfully obvious tonight. Statistics do not lie, and they bear this out that more often than not he lays eggs against quality competition.

This is not to say that he shouldn’t play, but it is to say that he should not be taking the bulk of the shots or be relied upon as the go-to scorer. He simply cannot get buckets against the likes of Duke and Kansas, etc..
Yeah, but just wait until the JV teams come to Rupp...he will make them pay.

We lose by 20 without him. He was the only one that could get a shot. You’ve had some bad takes in history but this might be the worst.
What so many don't get is that the team plays worse when he's on the floor firing away, because they are completely taken out of the offensive flow of the game.

Take him out and get some ball movement (instead of a black hole) and maybe the other guys start making shots.

He had 17 field goal attempts in the 2nd half. The rest of the team combined had the other 17.

What so many don't get is that the team plays worse when he's on the floor firing away, because they are completely taken out of the offensive flow of the game.

Take him out and get some ball movement (instead of a black hole) and maybe the other guys start making shots.

He had 17 field goal attempts in the 2nd half. The rest of the team combined had the other 17.
Then your gripe is with the others and not him because all through out the second half, they would look for Reeves instead of taking their own shot. The ball movement was there. It is just no one wanted to take the shot so Reeves had too. There were plenty of times that they tried to force the ball to Reeves and it resulted in a turnover. All of Reeves shots came within the flow of the offense. Can you say the same about Wagner or Edwards (especially wagner)? Absolutely not because those two did what freshman do...they tried to force things.

Hero ball. He’s a volume player and that just doesn’t work in college unless you have oscar in the paint. Him, Wagner, edwards combined shot 18% from the floor last night.

OP should've just directed this at Wagner and Edwards. Reeves kept UK in the game.
10 pts vs Michigan last year
11 pts vs Gonzaga last year
20 pts vs Bama last year
18 pts vs Tennessee last year
23 pts vs Texas AM last year
10 pts vs Kansas last year
27 pts vs Ole Miss last year
11 pts vs Arkansas last year
16 pts at Florida last year
21 pts vs Auburn last year
37 pts at Arkansas last year
22 pts vs Providence in the NCAAT last year

I mean, what are some people on here smoking? Is it recreational, legal, smuggled?!?
The fact that he plays poorly more often than not against legit competition is backed by the box scores. I’ve demonstrated it countless times and it’s not some subjective opinion. It’s objectively true.

Are you listing last years Michigan, Gonzaga, Kansas, and Arkansas (1) games as wins for him? Holy cow.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Yeah, he should not be creating offense and forcing shots. When someone else is creating the offense and he is setting and shooting, he's really good. When he's having to create for himself and shooting on the move or on set-backs, he's just not as good. In fact, he's not even an average shooter under those circumstances.

And here again, as I've mentioned in other threads, it's a matter of learning roles and how to finish. We were right there, just need to learn how to finish. Dillingham and Shepherd are guys who could create for others and make open shots also but they were in foul trouble and also had issues with doing too much and turning it over. They will get there, I do not doubt it.
The fact that Reeves, and apparently Cal, think that Reeves is the go-to guy down the stretch is alarming. He was 0/9 from deep over the last ten minutes and didn’t hit a single jump shot. He had a nice euro-step in transition and a physical, chest to chest move at the rim. Everything else: hero jumpers.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Hard to blame Reeves when other guys did zero. Easy to blame the guy who refused to sit the guys not giving us anything.
I’m not solely blaming Reeves. Just pointing out the obvious: that we’re still relying on an Illinois St. transfer to be our go-to scorer even though he’s proven time and time again that he’s not capable of playing and shooting at a high level against this level of competition. Do you think Bill self was happy to have him take 25 shots to get to 24 points? wouod Self take 3 of 17 three point shooting 10 times out of 10? Yes.

I’m not solely blaming Reeves. Just pointing out the obvious: that we’re still relying on an Illinois St. transfer to be our go-to scorer even though he’s proven time and time again that he’s not capable of playing and shooting at a high level against this level of competition. Do you think Bill self was happy to have him take 25 shots to get to 24 points? wouod Self take 3 of 17 three point shooting 10 times out of 10? Yes.
I’m not denying Reeves has struggled in big games. I’m saying it’s hard for the guys who were making shots to even take them while they’re on the bench. To be fair, out of Wagner, Edwards and Reeves I’d still rather have Reeves shooting last night.

I agree that he doesn't need to be the go to guy, but he's capable of creating and shooting.

I think he gets into trouble when no one else is giving you anything and he's pressing the issue. That felt like the case in the 2nd half. He took a couple step back 3's off the dribble. That's not what we need or want.

If this team is going to be GREAT, Wagner, Dillingham, and Reed all need to be able to beat their man off the dribble and create offense. We want Reeves catching and shooting 3's. Not being Steph Curry and trying to pull up off the dribble.

The fact that he plays poorly more often than not against legit competition is backed by the box scores. I’ve demonstrated it countless times and it’s not some subjective opinion. It’s objectively true.

Are you listing last years Michigan, Gonzaga, Kansas, and Arkansas (1) games as wins for him? Holy cow.
You leave out Alabama, Tenn, and Providence. He’s shown up more often than not against the top teams. Michigan and Gonzaga for sure was before he was getting legitimate opportunities to play.

He’s being asked to do too much imo. He’d be better in a complimentary role, more of a catch and shoot when you’re open type of guy. Right now he is trying to be the nba version of Devin Booker and go iso. Would help if wagner and edwards start creating and drive/dish to an open reaves.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Maybe if someone else takes some of those 25 shots, we win...
Who do you want taking them? Wagner who was 1-12 and airballed a layup? Edwards who bricked a dunk and finished with a total of 1 point? Mitchell who was exhausted at the end due to his defensive effort and missed tons of free throws? Dillingham who airballed a 3 and fouled out? Reed who made freshman mistakes down the end? Burks or Adou who aren’t shooters?

All of them had opportunities to take shots and they either missed (except Dilly and Reed in first half) or tried to force the ball to Reeves many times resulting in a TO.

Who exactly should have taken those shots?

Who do you want taking them? Wagner who was 1-12 and airballed a layup? Edwards who bricked a dunk and finished with a total of 1 point? Mitchell who was exhausted at the end due to his defensive effort and missed tons of free throws? Dillingham who airballed a 3 and fouled out? Reed who made freshman mistakes down the end? Burks or Adou who aren’t shooters?

All of them had opportunities to take shots and they either missed (except Dilly and Reed in first half) or tried to force the ball to Reeves many times resulting in a TO.

Who exactly should have taken those shots?
ummm.

Shepherd who went 4/5 and literally his only miss was the forced three that Calipari drew up. He had two buckets in the last 10 minutes of play. That’s the same amount of buckets that Reeves had during that time.

And yes, Dilly, who was 6/12 overall. He exercised terrible shot selection on the airball jump shot, but so too did Reeves on a number of three-pointers that he took over the course of the game.

And yes, Thiero. He went 5/10. I’ve got no issues at all with him driving to ball a couple more times in the last 10 minutes of play.

And how about Tre Mitchell who only took four shots the entire night?

Last edited:
He’s being asked to do too much imo. He’d be better in a complimentary role, more of a catch and shoot when you’re open type of guy. Right now he is trying to be the nba version of Devin Booker and go iso. Would help if wagner and edwards start creating and drive/dish to an open reaves.
He's a product of Cal's no-teaching "offense". If anyone thinks Cal is going to change and as a result implement (or have someone on his staff do it) an actual offense, then you haven't been watching. It's still the same ISO stuff, difference they're a little quicker overall this year.

It just gets worse when you zoom in.

Went 2/11 from deep and 6/17 overall in second half. Good grief.

And Wagner took 6 of the other 17 shots, making 1.

2022-23

MSU - 1/7, 1/3 3PT, 5 points LOSS
@GONZ - 4/13, 2/7 3PT, 10 points LOSS
UCLA - 2/13, 2/8 3PT, 6 points LOSS
@MIZZ - 3/6, 0/3 3PT, 8 points LOSS
@BAMA - 7/13, 4/7 3PT, 20 points, WIN (outlier)
SC - 6/13, 1/5 3PT, 13 points, LOSS
@TENN - 4/10, 2/6 3PT, 18 points WIN (outlier)
KAN - 3/9, 0/3 3PT, 10 points LOSS
ARK - 4/12, 1/4 3PT, 11 points LOSS
@UGA - 8/21, 4/8 3PT, 20 points LOSS
TENN - 3/8, 1/3 3PT, 8 points WIN
VAN - 4/17, 1/8 3PT, 14 points LOSS
@ARK - 12/17, 2/4 3PT, 37 points WIN (outlier; noteworthy that he attempted just 4 threes)
@Van - 8/20, 3/9 3PT, 22 points LOSS
KSU - 1/15, 1/10 3PT, 5 points LOSS

12 times, he scored 10 points or less.
19 times he shot 33.3% or less on 3PT shots.
13 times he made one 3FG or less.

2023-24

KAN - 7/25, 3/17 3PT, 24 points LOSS

ummm.

Shepherd who went 4/5 and literally his only miss was the forced three that Calipari drew up. He had two buckets in the last 10 minutes of play. That’s the same amount of buckets that Reeves had during that time.

And yes, Dilly, who was 6/12 overall. He exercised terrible shot selection on the airball jump shot, but so too did Reeves on a number of three-pointers that he took over the course of the game.

And yes, Thiero. He went 5/10. I’ve got no issues at all with him driving to ball a couple more times in the last 10 minutes of play.

then blame them for not taking the shots because all had ample opportunity to take shots but refused to do so. They all forced the ball to Reeves who took his shots within the offense.. That’s on them.

2022-23

MSU - 1/7, 1/3 3PT, 5 points LOSS
@GONZ - 4/13, 2/7 3PT, 10 points LOSS
UCLA - 2/13, 2/8 3PT, 6 points LOSS
@MIZZ - 3/6, 0/3 3PT, 8 points LOSS
@BAMA - 7/13, 4/7 3PT, 20 points, WIN (outlier)
SC - 6/13, 1/5 3PT, 13 points, LOSS
@TENN - 4/10, 2/6 3PT, 18 points WIN (outlier)
KAN - 3/9, 0/3 3PT, 10 points LOSS
ARK - 4/12, 1/4 3PT, 11 points LOSS
@UGA - 8/21, 4/8 3PT, 20 points LOSS
TENN - 3/8, 1/3 3PT, 8 points WIN
VAN - 4/17, 1/8 3PT, 14 points LOSS
@ARK - 12/17, 2/4 3PT, 37 points WIN (outlier; noteworthy that he attempted just 4 threes)
@Van - 8/20, 3/9 3PT, 22 points LOSS
KSU - 1/15, 1/10 3PT, 5 points LOSS

12 times, he scored 10 points or less.
19 times he shot 33.3% or less on 3PT shots.
13 times he made one 3FG or less.

2023-24

KAN - 7/25, 3/17 3PT, 24 points LOSS
I see you left out a few games and didn’t designate when he began to play extended minutes. It’s clear that you just don’t like Reeves for some reason. You blast him but refuse to do anything to call out the things anyone else did that contributed to the loss. Your posts lay the blame solely on Reeves. No wonder our fans have the reputation they do.

I see you left out a few games and didn’t designate when he began to play extended minutes. It’s clear that you just don’t like Reeves for some reason. You blast him but refuse to do anything to call out the things anyone else did that contributed to the loss. Your posts lay the blame solely on Reeves. No wonder our fans have the reputation they do.
How many games do you want to add? Will they even things out and illustrate that he, more often than not, wilts against top competition? I'll answer for you: NOPE.

He's an Illinois State talent. Not a UK caliber dude. It is what it is. Rely heavily on this dude again, and you'll get the same results as last year. He'll play well against Stonehill, and then he'll lay an egg against St. Miami or UNC (or both). And you'll be back here again defending the dude and his usage rate. Just look at the data.

And I did not lay the blame solely on Reeves. That's not in the original post or anywhere else. It's just in your head. Literally, you came up with that somehow.

Honestly, you seem like you might be related to the dude or he went to your HS or something. He's a dude that should shoot open threes off of penetration and score in transition. Nothing more. Nothing less. And he's trying to do a lot more than that, as though he has some shot at the League, which he doesn't.

are you high? At times he was the only one would could get a shot… I agree we rely on him too much, but his skill set is not the issue.
I'm 65 and not that athletic and I could get a shot off every single trip down the floor. Making the shots means more than getting them off...

Reactions: CincyUKFan
How many games do you want to add? Will they even things out and illustrate that he, more often than not, wilts against top competition? I'll answer for you: NOPE.

He's an Illinois State talent. Not a UK caliber dude. It is what it is. Rely heavily on this dude again, and you'll get the same results as last year. He'll play well against Stonehill, and then he'll lay an egg against St. Miami or UNC (or both). And you'll be back here again defending the dude and his usage rate. Just look at the data.

And I did not lay the blame solely on Reeves. That's not in the original post or anywhere else. It's just in your head. Literally, you came up with that somehow.

Honestly, you seem like you might be related to the dude or he went to your HS or something. He's a dude that should shoot open threes off of penetration and score in transition. Nothing more. Nothing less. And he's trying to do a lot more than that, as though he has some shot at the League, which he doesn't.
I don’t see you calling out anyone for their airballed threes or in Wagners case a layup. I don’t see you calling out Mitchell for missing free throws. I don’t see you calling out anyone for there TOs. I don’t see you calling out Dilly who was guarding Harris when he hit his threes towards the end of the game. It’s only calling out Reeves. The only time you’ve mentioned any of the others is when someone else brings him up. That seems to be placing the blame on him to me.

He's a product of Cal's no-teaching "offense". If anyone thinks Cal is going to change and as a result implement (or have someone on his staff do it) an actual offense, then you haven't been watching. It's still the same ISO stuff, difference they're a little quicker overall this year.
Cal has no offense, which is why reaves looks just like he did against whatever team that was that knocked us out last year (they are all starting to run together).

Reed was facilitating/running the point
Dillingham was making dumb fouls and couldn't stay on the court
Mitchell seemed hesitant to shoot for some odd reason
Thiero was not getting any calls when he drove and is not a shooter
Burks played with great energy, but isn't a scorer yet
Edwards and DJ..... what a bad time for a bad night from both
We had NO post presence

Reeves was really the only option we had to go with late. Almost none of his shots were forced. Several were pretty open he just didn't hit them. We drew up two good plays for out last two possessions, he missed two on the second to last and KU over played him and forced the ball to the other side on the last one.

There wasn't many other options besides Reeves. I agree we won't win many when he is 3-17 from 3, but he took almost all of them in rhythm.
All of these points should be obvious to most. Unfortunately, some fans create an agenda against certain players, and they run with it all the time.

You leave out Alabama, Tenn, and Providence. He’s shown up more often than not against the top teams. Michigan and Gonzaga for sure was before he was getting legitimate opportunities to play.
His points against Alabama were meaningless. It was a blowout - no pressure on him to perform. He didn't hit any meaningful shots.

I didnt watch half 2 , but read several times " Reeves was the only guy able to get a shot off". Well, WHY ? The guy mapping the X and o's is why . AR seems like fine young man , and hes good for an eye opening game like Arky last year , but in amongst those great games is a ton of below average ones . I tend to agree with the OP , hes not the kind of guy you win EE games with , let alone FF .
I think this is the most accurate summary. We lost for more than one reason. Also Reeves is a streaky shooter. Less effective against better competition.

His points against Alabama were meaningless. It was a blowout - no pressure on him to perform. He didn't hit any meaningful shots.
That wasn't the argument. The argument was he failed to show up in big games and that was a big game. In fact, he was pretty much the only one that showed up. If the argument is hitting meaningful shots, than even in those poor shooting games Reeves hit meaningful shots and the argument gets weaker.

That wasn't the argument. The argument was he failed to show up in big games and that was a big game. In fact, he was pretty much the only one that showed up. If the argument is hitting meaningful shots, than even in those poor shooting games Reeves hit meaningful shots and the argument gets weaker.
He shot poorly in the first half when it was still reasonably close. Didn't show up. Being able to hit shots in the 2nd half when your team is down 20 doesn't constitute "showing up" for me.

He shot poorly in the first half when it was still reasonably close. Didn't show up. Being able to hit shots in the 2nd half when your team is down 20 doesn't constitute "showing up" for me.
So where is your post discussing how others didn't show up or do you have different standards for different people?

Goodness, what's your standard? He scored 24 points last night and he gets blasted because he took too many shots. He scores double digits against legit competition and they shouldn't count as "wins" for him? So what's the standard? Double digits on the road AT Gonzaga is a poor performance? Double digits on the road AT Arkansas is a poor performance?

Where's your comment on his performances vs Tennessee both games? Where's your comment on his 37 points AT Arkansas, a Sweet 16 team?

And what about 22 points in the first round of the NCAA Tournament vs Providence?

Didn't Alabama earn a 1-seed last year? Poor little Reeves only managed 20 measly points on the road against them

I mean, goodness - get a grip on reality, man

ummm.

Don't bother. He knows everything and has all the answers. And you're right, my choice for someone taking those shots would also be someone who wasn't shooting 25%.

Reactions: crestcat
There might be still some bleed over from last year, where we NEEDED Reeves for offense, as opposed to this year, where we really shouldn't. That was kind of the hope when we added guys like Edwards, DJ, Shep and Dilly: That Reeves wouldn't be asked so much of.

But still.. it's crazy to be throwing this all on Reeves. He's proven he can hit shots and I don't think the opponent really matters. You get him his shots until someone else really proves to be a better option, which I don't think we've seen one yet.

Reeves shot nearly 40% from the 3 over the last two years, at two different programs and in two different offenses. Even the greatest shooter in then world, Steph Curry, will have bad nights. He shot 9 for 27 over the last 2 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT