ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard now a 1st round pick

If, and its a big if, Reed somehow stayed 3 years and led us to a title he would go down as maybe the greatest UK player ever. The Sheppard family would be immortalized.

I honestly think he and his family love Kentucky so much that it could happen. I am usually a hard core cynic and pessimistic about most things, but I have a good feeling about him staying here long term.

It’s fun to speculate but it’s hard to imagine all of the factors that go into that huge of a decision.

There’s the entire angle of having two parents that both were stars at UK. Maybe he wants to eclipse what they both did. Who knows.

There’s also the argument that fringe lottery vs. top 3 pick is a huge bump in first contract money. Not saying that he’s fringe lottery right now but he strikes me as the type of kid that wont listen to prognosticators but will evaluate for himself with his family when he’s ready for basketball as a profession vs. living a dream of playing for UK. Plus after this huge hype of what he’s done 7 games in, the NIL money next year might be enough to push him to stay.

Either way I’m going to enjoy the hell out of watching him this season.

I love it! So proud of him and the team.
I never would have imagined he would’ve been this phenomenal. Kentucky basketball is the gold standard of college sports and Reed is showing why. I’ve never experienced Rupp like that ever.
BBN got loud and Miami fans left way early lol.
Screw SEC it’s Kentucky this year we’ll unless, never mind.

It would be really cool if Shep stayed long enough with UK that eventually his jersey would go in the rafters. Wouldn't that make his parents proud.?
It might make them proud if they weren't already dead for several decades. Prerequisite for jersey hanging in RUPP is that anyone who gives a sh1t must be dead. One of the dumbest things UK does is NOT hanging enough jerseys soon enough. It's a sore spot for me. How much would it have meant to Mel Turpin to have been alive to see his up there?

• Love
Reactions: Fox2monk
Imagine trying to persuade a potential first round draft pick to stay in school because of education and becoming a legend in the state. I hate to break it to you, but that ain't happenin'.
I never said it was likely. I said it was possible. I hate to break it to you but your not breaking anything open for me

Reed reminds me of a smarter Kirk Hinrich.
Little off topic but Hearing his name made me think of Kansas around that time and I’ll never forget when we played them when they had Brandon Rush. That was the game that caused me say, Tubby has to go. We were so throughly outgunned in that game it wasn’t funny.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
It might make them proud if they weren't already dead for several decades. Prerequisite for jersey hanging in RUPP is that anyone who gives a sh1t must be dead. One of the dumbest things UK does is NOT hanging enough jerseys soon enough. It's a sore spot for me. How much would it have meant to Mel Turpin to have been alive to see his up there?
Agree 100% we should already be about to hang Wall’s Jersey in the rafters and then AD. Instead I’ll probably be 85 when that happens.

I think we romanticize that too much. We hope he feels that way, and wish it would happen but not many opportunities come in life to earn that kinda money. If you’re lottery you have to go. He’s making money here but NBA money is dumb. Freaking Jaylen Brown is making 51 million dollars a year starting next year. That doesn’t include any endorsements either.
He will go and he will make all that money. I just think he'll have fun for a few years before he does it. He bleeds blue and wants to match what dad did. in the end you might be right, i am seeing the home town kentucky kid side of the story.

"I hate one and done!" So we go more experienced. "We have no talent!" now we're back to one and dones "Tired of replacing the whole team!"

Just can't make some happy.
This is simply not true.

You make all happy, not "some", by winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT