ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard now a 1st round pick

Rupp Rafters be like...

86tjji.jpg

(With good reason 😉)

I’m not sure what motivates Reed but I can see why he’d want to stay. If he jumps after one year the only Sheppard people will remember 20 years from now is Jeff, unless he wins a title. But if he stays, he’ll be immortalized into UK lore and I’d be willing to bet that he’d solidify his legacy with a title within 3-4 years of being here (if it doesn’t happen this year). Oh, and he’ll still be making six figures with a free college education so he wont be hurting for money. And after all that he could still go to the nba and make a few million before either retiring or pursuing another career (maybe coaching or broadcasting?).

But as good as he is I don’t see him being inducted into the NBA HoF or being remembered for a professional career. He would be turning down a lot of money, but he won’t ever hurt for money (barring an Antoine Walker problem with addiction) and maybe he what motivates him is something different than just chasing another zero at the end of his bank balance.

I’m not sure what motivates Reed but I can see why he’d want to stay. If he jumps after one year the only Sheppard people will remember 20 years from now is Jeff, unless he wins a title. But if he stays, he’ll be immortalized into UK lore and I’d be willing to bet that he’d solidify his legacy with a title within 3-4 years of being here (if it doesn’t happen this year). Oh, and he’ll still be making six figures with a free college education so he wont be hurting for money. And after all that he could still go to the nba and make a few million before either retiring or pursuing another career (maybe coaching or broadcasting?).

But as good as he is I don’t see him being inducted into the NBA HoF or being remembered for a professional career. He would be turning down a lot of money, but he won’t ever hurt for money (barring an Antoine Walker problem with addiction) and maybe he what motivates him is something different than just chasing another zero at the end of his bank balance.
Imagine trying to persuade a potential first round draft pick to stay in school because of education and becoming a legend in the state. I hate to break it to you, but that ain't happenin'.

I believe he comes back as well
We have some fans, including the OP, who seem to relish the idea of Reed leaving after this year.

Reed could go pro, but he could also have 35 minutes/game next year and become NPOY while potentially going top 20 in the draft, winning SEC POY, and blazing a trail through the Commonwealth never seen before, not even by the likes of Mashburn and Delk.

It’s very likely that we lose all 4 guards after this year. Let’s enjoy it while we can.
The only way I enjoy it is if the season ends with #9; especially under those circumstances; which I believe you are correct on. These dudes are stud ballers.
This team is not only loaded and loaded with guards but it is past time for Kentucky to win another title.
Its our birthright to win one at least every 10 yrs. Its going on 12 yrs since our last.
Cal better bring home the bacon with this special group or he needs to hit the F’in road.

Yep. We'll be replacing the entire team again. Just like every other year. Get's old.
I mean we all knew it was coming. We can’t love Reed and how great he’s playing and looking and then complain when scouts notice. As long as we have a great year I’m fine with it. Cal’s first 7 years were amazing because the players won for us and then had success in the NBA. If we get back to that I’m fine. I’d love for Reed to stay, but he’s really good.

Reactions: bigbluemagoo
I mean we all knew it was coming. We can’t love Reed and how great he’s playing and looking and then complain when scouts notice. As long as we have a great year I’m fine with it. Cal’s first 7 years were amazing because the players won for us and then had success in the NBA. If we get back to that I’m fine. I’d love for Reed to stay, but he’s really good.
Yes he is.
Its hard to argue against him being the most complete player ever at UK as a Freshman.

Reed will not bolt this year unless he's a lottery. He loves Kentucky and UK. Dreamed of playing here while in the womb. He wont pass up playing more than one year.
I think we romanticize that too much. We hope he feels that way, and wish it would happen but not many opportunities come in life to earn that kinda money. If you’re lottery you have to go. He’s making money here but NBA money is dumb. Freaking Jaylen Brown is making 51 million dollars a year starting next year. That doesn’t include any endorsements either.

Reactions: bigbluemagoo
winning It all is a craps shoot in a single elimination tournament. If all the others go and he is a high pick draft pick he would probably go since procuring new talent capable of winning it all through freshmen or the portal would be a total unknown.

Imagine trying to persuade a potential first round draft pick to stay in school because of education and becoming a legend in the state. I hate to break it to you, but that ain't happenin'.
If UK ends up with a Final Four or even a title, then Shep was likely a big part of that. And if he's slated to high in the draft, he's gonzo. I *want* him to stay, but if I was in his shoes and that young, it's a no-brainer. I am thinking that with the addition of Welch, that guys may actually want to come back for another year. As long as you're comfortable you won't get hurt and ruin your NBA dreams, it would be fun to be in an exciting offense like that. Before Welch, I'd say that Cal would be a big reason why they'd elect to move on.

I was wondering 🤔 what does Jeff do for a living?
This from wikipedia:
"They are involved with various community activities. Sheppard is also vice president for business development with Wazoo Sports, a regional television sports network concentrating on sports in Kentucky."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT