POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are a couple million little old church ladies that could stand behind a podium and give the same performance as what Carson gave us.

When you don't know which countries are in NATO, maybe you should fill SOME role in federal government before you ask us to put you in the WH

I can only say one thing at this moment, I'm sure of about having Trump as President. IMO, we would then have the hottest first-lady in our history.

"WHAT??" HOT??? I'll show you HOT!!

rs_560x415-140102191443-1024.Hillary-Clinton-Bill-Clinton-Bangs.ms.010214_copy.jpg

What a stupid take. Thinking this country's voters are suddenly and inexplicably rampant atheists is just about the most out of touch opinion spouted in the history of Cat Paw political threads. Hillary's gonna pander and pretend she is a church-every-sunday gal because she knows voters ain't gonna elect someone as President if they don't bend their knees to the Almighty.

Dead wrong. You must not have heard the question. The question had nothing to do with believing in god. They asked the candidates if god had spoken to them. Entirely different question.

It was a death blow, because it required a candidate to answer an over the top religion question. Saying no, kills the evangelical vote which the candidates need to get out of the primary. Saying yes, helps with the evangelical vote, but kills them in the general. Why?

In the general, its murderous. The left won the last 2 elections, especially the last one, on social issues; mainly gay marriage and abortion. Two well settled legal principles which none of the GOP candidates should even consider discussing in the general. Yet by forcing these candidates hands, now any of the evangelical candidates have an upper hand in the primary; but we know they'll lose on social issues in the general.

I posted this before the answers to that question were concluded. Luckily, some of the better candidates for the general didn't have to answer the question. So most of the damage was avoided.

To take it a step further, Hillary will get the votes shes going to get no matter what she says about religion. But even if Hillary says she was appointed pope, she'll still take positions on the popular side of all the important social issues. She'll say or do anything to get elected, and the MSM will give her a pass.

The GOP needs a candidate in the general who is religious, to pull in the evangelicals; but not overly zealous (like talking to god). That way, the candidate can still avoid being pulled into social issues; and have a good chance at the undecided vote.

I'll have to watch a replay of the Kids Table debate this weekend, but the only time I've seen Fiorina was on Real Time and she wasn't impressive at all. Articulate, but not impressive.

Dead wrong. You must not have heard the question. The question had nothing to do with believing in god. They asked the candidates if god had spoken to them. Entirely different question.

It was a death blow, because it required a candidate to answer an over the top religion question. Saying no, kills the evangelical vote which the candidates need to get out of the primary. Saying yes, helps with the evangelical vote, but kills them in the general. Why?

In the general, its murderous. The left won the last 2 elections, especially the last one, on social issues; mainly gay marriage and abortion. Two well settled legal principles which none of the GOP candidates should even consider discussing in the general. Yet by forcing these candidates hands, now any of the evangelical candidates have an upper hand in the primary; but we know they'll lose on social issues in the general.

I posted this before the answers to that question were concluded. Luckily, some of the better candidates for the general didn't have to answer the question. So most of the damage was avoided.
If one of them had said "That's none of your damn business", I probably would've written them a large check.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
There are a couple million little old church ladies that could stand behind a podium and give the same performance as what Carson gave us.

When you don't know which countries are in NATO, maybe you should fill SOME role in federal government before you ask us to put you in the WH

Obama thought there were 57 states...elected twice.

Reactions: JimTirey
Fiorina will be in the next prime time debate IMO. If it is limited to 10 again, I wonder at who's expense?

I'm stunned a little bit more that Rand is polling so low. He's absolutely the most sane of all potential GOP nominations.

It'll be Christie, despite the fact it should be Huckabee or Carson

As much as I like Carson, it should be him. Never elected to anything. I think he'd make a really good, wise cabinet member however. Christie made a few points with me last night.

Florins could never win the nomination, she's too intelligent. She'll never sell to the bubba voter. I bet she doesn't even own a gun or a bible. :D
I wondered which of the big 3 faux-moderates would wade in first with their hot takes.

I think Kasich and Trump are the only 2 capable of winning a general election. Kasich because he could garner the undecided vote. Trump because he would energize the conservatives to get out and vote.

I disagree, Trump will not energize turnout at all....perhaps against him.

Whoever the nominee is has to poll well in OH, FL, CO, NV, IA, WI, VA, NC, and NH.

Reactions: jamo0001
^I don't expect a president (or candidate) to know everything. In fact, I really dislike it when they don't know and start spouting off some tip-toe political answer just because they think they have to give you one.

For once it would be refreshing if a candidate said something like the following, "Hey, my background is as a lawyer....and as a former millitary personnel. I don't know a ton about healthcare but when president I am going to surround myself with a few prominent members of the healthcare community that can help steer me in the right direction......as a matter of fact, one guy that I like and trust is John Doe who is a surgeon at John's Hopkins. I would love for him to be a trusted advisor of mine because I think he has some great ideas about healthcare. Please view my website about some of his ideas that I would like to implement."

Most news sources/polls say that Trump won it.

Doesn't surprise me. Being this early in the process.......and having 347 candidates up there trying to debate.......the largest goal that you should have is to stand out from the others. Trump certainly doesn't have trouble doing this.

^I don't expect a president (or candidate) to know everything. In fact, I really dislike it when they don't know and start spouting off some tip-toe political answer just because they think they have to give you one.

For once it would be refreshing if a candidate said something like the following, "Hey, my background is as a lawyer....and as a former millitary personnel. I don't know a ton about healthcare but when president I am going to surround myself with a few prominent members of the healthcare community that can help steer me in the right direction......as a matter of fact, one guy that I like and trust is John Doe who is a surgeon at John's Hopkins. I would love for him to be a trusted advisor of mine because I think he has some great ideas about healthcare. Please view my website about some of his ideas that I would like to implement."

Agree. That beats a broad, generic answer but you also want a candidate that has a general idea on the topic. Carson and Trump seemed lost last night. Paul and Bush seemed the most in tune with actual policy.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
Carson only missed to hit on one question that I saw...every other speaking chance he got, he received a nice reaction. Paul was awful last night, he is fading fast. Bush seemed nervous and uncomfortable in moments, not as polished as I thought he would be. Trump trumped.

I'm stunned a little bit more that Rand is polling so low. He's absolutely the most sane of all potential GOP nominations.

Well, Americans would rather be lied to and then bitch about it when they see their "starling candidate" is no better than the pile shit that just left office. 100% will happen again.

Rand is the best fit, but because he doesn't have the showmanship circus act, he won't get anywhere because most Americans are more oohed and ahhed by the glitter and glam.

Reactions: warrior-cat
That was as big a fiasco as any Democrat running for president could have hoped for. It was like a rerun of the Keystone Kops. It scares hell out of me that there is any chance at all that any of that bunch could be POTUS. After that fiasco IMO however it is a very small chance.

WE got the usual GOP line telling us all that is wrong in the United States and the World but not one viable solution for anything was mentioned. Typical GOP BS. Oh well it is going to be fun watching that bunch cannibalize each other.

The biggest Joke is that a GOP that says it is for freedom wants to force it beliefs on everyone. The only freedom to them is the freedom to believe as they do.

I agree that Trump fell on his face. If he runs as an independent he could split the vote just enough to give Clinton the nomination in a very close race. After the donations to Clinton's in the past and the phone call to Bill Clinton before entering the race you kind of wonder if there is a conspiracy in the works.
Like history repeating, with Bush v Clinton and Perot

Maybe for the presidency of the local association of clowns. That whatever he is doing with his hair would fit right in with that group.

What do the more conservative posters think about Kasich?

I find him very interesting as a candidate, and so far, the one that has A. put his money where his mouth is, and B. Seems to do good being a public servant. I admit, I do not know much about him. But I am wondering if he is too "left" for some.

Cruz/Trump/Paul all came off as petulant a-holes. Bush/Rubio/Kasich seemed most presidential. I would have loved for Carly to have made the prime time group. Unfortunately she has the lowest name recognition of any republican candidate.

What do the more conservative posters think about Kasich?

I find him very interesting as a candidate, and so far, the one that has A. put his money where his mouth is, and B. Seems to do good being a public servant. I admit, I do not know much about him. But I am wondering if he is too "left" for some.

I think he has appeal to centrist types both left and right leaning, not some much the extremes. I though of all the candidates on the stage Kasich was the only one that had a positive and optimistic message, and by any measure has the strongest background. OTOH most of other answers were basically criticizing the current president, and government in general, even though their party controls both houses of congress and the SCOTUS.

I like Kasich. Well, by like, I mean he could adequately perform the tasks of the office of the Presidency. I'd say the same for the following: Fiorina, Rubio, Walker, Bush, maybe Christie. The others either couldn't govern or have no chance or some combination of both.....

When is the Dem debate happening so I can pick apart their god awful points?

Everyone places a value on these GOP candidates and these Dem candidates are just as awful.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Thought Paul and the fat guy that argued with him did okay. Thought Trump's explanation of donations was on point and one of the reasons I like him. He knows how things work and is the only one with the balls to say it. Plus...he has no financial need to play ball with donors. I'd also like to be a fly on the wall if he and mohackumendadhussein/whatever from iran had a chat.

One of the problems with the Repub party is the split between those of us who want a kick-arse (middle east, foreign policy in general, entitlements) POTUS that will make up for what's been lacking the last 6 years and those who are less extreme but still want no more of what we've had. These two groups, IMO make up the majority of registered voters, but will split.

All that favors the clintons and bidens of the world.

Trump wont say he wont run as an independant If he doesnt get the Rep nomination. If hes a true Republican and truelly believes the Democrats in power are "stupid" why do something he knows is going to hand the election to Clinton and keep the stupid Democrats in power? Ross Perot part two? Has an independant ever won the election?
This would be true if Trump were a political hack - I understand his thought process, why give up leverage against the RNC, if he continues to dominate the polls, they have to shower him with goodies.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
My hope is that by the time the Kentucky primary happens next spring, it will actually matter this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT