POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There have been 103 prior cases in which — like the case of President Obama’s nomination of Judge Garland — an elected President has faced an actual vacancy on the Supreme Court and began an appointment process prior to the election of a successor. In all 103 cases, the President was able to both nominate and appoint a replacement Justice, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. This is true even of all eight such cases where the nomination process began during an election year. By contrast, there have been only six prior cases in which the Senate pursued a course of action that — like the current Republican Plan — deliberately sought to transfer a sitting President’s Supreme Court appointment power to a successor. In all six such cases, there were, however, contemporaneous questions, not present here, about the status of the nominating President as the most recently elected President. The historical rule that best accounts for senatorial practices over the entirety of U.S. history is thus the following: While the Senate has the constitutional power to provide advice and consent with respect to particular Supreme Court nominees and reject (or resist) particular candidates on a broad range of grounds, the Senate may only use this power to deliberately transfer a sitting President’s Supreme Court appointment powers to a successor in the highly unusual circumstance where the President’s status as the most recently elected President is in doubt.

Given this more than two-century long tradition, the Senate Republicans’ current plan marks a much greater departure from historical precedent than has thus far been recognized. There is, however, still a further question whether the historical rule we uncover reflects a mere senatorial tradition, which should govern internal senatorial practices of fair dealing, or has further ripened into a constitutional rule that should inform the best interpretation of constitutional text and structure. In either case, the consequences of the plan are far more serious than its architects could have originally understood. After describing both possibilities, we suggest that Senate Republicans should rethink their plan so as to avoid these newly exposed historical, pragmatic and constitutional risks. Instead of continuing forward, the Senate should do what it has always done in similar past circumstances. It should proceed to full Senate consideration of Judge Garland or any other nominees that President Obama submits in a timely manner.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2752287
Hillary and Mitch came to an understanding so she could have her own appointment. This is well known.

Fortunately, she didn't win.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
52995442_399643200598481_1108403648892764160_n.jpg

There have been 103 prior cases in which — like the case of President Obama’s nomination of Judge Garland — an elected President has faced an actual vacancy on the Supreme Court and began an appointment process prior to the election of a successor. In all 103 cases, the President was able to both nominate and appoint a replacement Justice, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. This is true even of all eight such cases where the nomination process began during an election year. By contrast, there have been only six prior cases in which the Senate pursued a course of action that — like the current Republican Plan — deliberately sought to transfer a sitting President’s Supreme Court appointment power to a successor. In all six such cases, there were, however, contemporaneous questions, not present here, about the status of the nominating President as the most recently elected President. The historical rule that best accounts for senatorial practices over the entirety of U.S. history is thus the following: While the Senate has the constitutional power to provide advice and consent with respect to particular Supreme Court nominees and reject (or resist) particular candidates on a broad range of grounds, the Senate may only use this power to deliberately transfer a sitting President’s Supreme Court appointment powers to a successor in the highly unusual circumstance where the President’s status as the most recently elected President is in doubt.

Given this more than two-century long tradition, the Senate Republicans’ current plan marks a much greater departure from historical precedent than has thus far been recognized. There is, however, still a further question whether the historical rule we uncover reflects a mere senatorial tradition, which should govern internal senatorial practices of fair dealing, or has further ripened into a constitutional rule that should inform the best interpretation of constitutional text and structure. In either case, the consequences of the plan are far more serious than its architects could have originally understood. After describing both possibilities, we suggest that Senate Republicans should rethink their plan so as to avoid these newly exposed historical, pragmatic and constitutional risks. Instead of continuing forward, the Senate should do what it has always done in similar past circumstances. It should proceed to full Senate consideration of Judge Garland or any other nominees that President Obama submits in a timely manner.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2752287

You for real read a 62 page academic paper on Cocaine Mitch working the Democrats like clowns?

Oh you mean the antifa mob (the left's brown shirts) who initiated the confrontation and violence?

D-ass.

The anti-statue removal groups had a permit.

Do you understand how freedom of assembly works, dopey?

Anti statue removal groups. That's rich.

At first I just thought you were a run of the mill hate spewing lunatic. But you're a real treasure trove. Thanks for entertaining us in the off-season.

Anti statue removal groups. That's rich.

At first I just thought you were a run of the mill hate spewing lunatic. But you're a real treasure trove. Thanks for entertaining us in the off-season.
That's who the vast majority were, dumbass. And those were the exact "fine people" Trump was talking about. Unlike you communists trying to erase American history like the Taliban.

I guess you support violence against those who you disagree with like a good little goose-stepping progtard.

Are you happy about your party being the party of open borders, communism, thought police, violence, and the weaponization of the intelligence community against political enemies and private citizens?

Keep LOLing at your own stupidity, I'm guessing that's how you've made it through life to this point.

Some dumbass mention charlotesville? Jason Kessler was the one who organized it and he is liberal activist and supported Obama. Leaked emails also show Soros funded charlottesville.

Look at these new flags. We know nazis go out the night before a big white klan rally and start using flags. Those flags have more brand new creases in it than I can get a pressed shirt from the dry cleaners

104666613-GettyImages-830922288-charlottesville.530x298.jpg

You need to stop watching CNN and MSNBC and learn something.

You need to stop watching TV news, period. Nothing good comes from it. The only good cable programming is the NBA Playoffs and the occasional UK game. I thought you’d understand that by now.

“Darling, I want to watch television...”

You need to stop watching TV news, period. Nothing good comes from it. The only good cable programming is the NBA Playoffs and the occasional UK game. I thought you’d understand that by now.

“Darling, I want to watch television...”
Unlike you, I don't get the major news channels nor do I watch them. You would do better to watch cartoons with your kiddie rants on here.

"I didn't read most of your most... this is not personal and I'm not trying to make it as such. I don't care what you have or have not accomplished in life as that really has no bearing on the quality of the misinformed ideas you represent.

His nationality has everything to do with everything and most bad ideas are in bad company, but that is neither here nor there as I indicated earlier and that isn't necessarily why they are bad. What it is in simplest terms is that we are now at a Thucydides trap with China, what does it take to become a successful Chinese businessman and why his interests are ultimately at odds with ours, and yours.
The fact that you don't really grasp what I am saying is also representative that yes, you need to read more or my god do something.... i don't know what, but to deconstruct how stupid the first sentence I quoted of yours above there actually is, is not something I am willing to waste my time on, perhaps someone else would but yes, good god man...

maybe I can set you on the right path of self discovery by telling you, it's not that his nationality devalues his opinion, it's cui bono?"

Well if you are going to make up unsupported accusations about me and then refuse read my response, you're foolish to think I will read yours, that's not very hard to conjure. Thoughts like that reveal far more than any assertion you've falsely accused me of. LOL

I’m still looking for some examples of this. Exactly how have conservatives been silenced at colleges? Don’t most of them have some extension of the “Young Republicans” clubs that exist in high schools? Are they banned from speaking their minds on campus? I need some facts, bro.

Also....

Did you guys miss me?

MODS - I promise I won’t bring up anything about our sports teams on here anymore. Let me stick around this time so I can offer up some....you know....DIVERSITY OF THOUGHT! Thank you in advance. I missed this place.
Conservatives in the last two years have had speeches canceled because of "security" concerns.......at Berkley Antifa set fires and rioted.....to stop a conservative speaker........Ann Coulter got death threats before a speech at a university......How about the guy that got beat up because he was handing out conservative materials......at Berkley.....the home of "free speech".....The Left is only interested in the 1st Amendment if it suits them.......just like they do the rest of the constitution........good reading......

Conservatives in the last two years have had speeches canceled because of "security" concerns.......at Berkley Antifa set fires and rioted.....to stop a conservative speaker........Ann Coulter got death threats before a speech at a university......How about the guy that got beat up because he was handing out conservative materials.......The Left is only interested in the 1st Amendment if it suits them.......just like they do the rest of the constitution........good reading......
More than just two but that moron will not believe it because, it was not on CNN or MSNBC.

Reactions: awf
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT