POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All a giant strawman argument. The age old "Who you know" addage is totally unrelated to overt explicit admitted racism (no matter which race is targeted).

Anytime race is a consideration it's wrong. Period.
Far from being a straw man argument... and trying to downplay "Who you know" is sticking your head in the sand. You are also disregarding the subjective nature of the selection process.

I guess you missed that I said that it shouldn't be an issue. Perfect world it wouldn't be.

Yeah and there are millions of white people that fall into that disadvantaged category. Yet they do not get any of the set asides that minorities get.
True, but their families and those who came before them weren't institutionally limited. They got to the bottom on their own, they weren't forced there.

Far from being a straw man argument... and trying to downplay "Who you know" is sticking your head in the sand. You are also disregarding the subjective nature of the selection process.

I guess you missed that I said that it shouldn't be an issue. Perfect world it wouldn't be.

I'm not down playing the who you know argument. That's a legitimate topic of discussion but has nothing to with this at all.

The very definition of a strawman

Reactions: IdaCat
. Only 3 more months of smugness yall.

38801276_2188397258044844_1907990739657162752_n.jpg

I'm not down playing the who you know argument. That's a legitimate topic of discussion but has nothing to with this at all.

The very definition of a strawman
Absolutely does. You realize that most selections come down to some subjective measure... all affirmative action does is require that some portion of those selections go towards the affected minority group. How are you equalizing for subjectivity when most likely the overwhelming majority of those making those subjective decisions are from the previously advantaged group?

Yep all black people and white people are the same. Skin color is all that matter. Give a black person a job over a white person and you are doing your part to correct historic injustices.

Absolutely does. You realize that most selections come down to some subjective measure... all affirmative action does is require that some portion of those selections go towards the affected minority group. How are you equalizing for subjectivity when most likely the overwhelming majority of those making those subjective decisions are from the previously advantaged group?

It requires race be a factor in the consideration. Anytime that occurs, it's wrong.

Reactions: sefus12
@moe_schmoe, if the MSM had any interest in providing facts and truths instead of conjecture and opinions, you'd have a future as a journalist. Nice work the last few days on the Manafort trial.

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
Not only are your memes worse than some toothless redneck facebook uncle, they don't even make sense.

You realize Obama had a Democrat Congress for 2 years and did absolutely nothing to help the economy? Or did you not realize that? I honestly don't know
Well you're kind of stupid aren't you? When Obama took office the great recession of 2008 had already begun and the dow had sunk to 6000. It was up to 19,700 when he left office. The record speaks for itself and you are either real stupid, ignorant as heck but probably both.

Reactions: fuzz77
Well you're kind of stupid aren't you? When Obama took office the great recession of 2008 had already begun and the dow had sunk to 6000. It was up to 19,700 when he left office. The record speaks for itself and you are either real stupid, ignorant as heck but probably both.
So, wait, did Obama rescue the economy or is none of it his fault since Republicans obstructed him at every turn? You really can't seem to make up your mind about which awful meme accurately represents your stupid positions

Reactions: qwesley
So, wait, did Obama rescue the economy or is none of it his fault since Republicans obstructed him at every turn? You really can't seem to make up your mind about which awful meme accurately represents your stupid positions
You are really stupid aren't you? The freefall had already begun when Obama took office, and it was not a single act that caused it. Jesus you conservatives are stupid. I'm sorry but that's the shoe that fits, you're stupid.

You are really stupid aren't you? The freefall had already begun when Obama took office, and it was not a single act that caused it. Jesus you conservatives are stupid. I'm sorry but that's the shoe that fits, you're stupid.
You don't even understand what's being said. It's amazing that you can turn on a computer, frankly.

You posted a meme that says Obama was obstructed at every turn
You also posted that Obama left office with X good things done for the economy
I asked how Obama could have done anything if he was obstructed by Republicans, per your point #1
You post about the timeline of the Great Recession

Are you starting to understand why everyone thinks you're an idiot?

True, but their families and those who came before them weren't institutionally limited. They got to the bottom on their own, they weren't forced there.
You would be spitting fire if anyone were to say that about any other race.

Every other race? Blame Whitey. Whites? Blame the individual.

Sadly, you don't even know and can't even begin to see how clearly and purely racist your beliefs are. Nope. Everyone else is racist. Not you.

Reactions: mdlUK.1

Sadly, you don't even know and can't even begin to see how clearly and purely racist your beliefs are. Nope. Everyone else is racist. Not you.

Is it true or not that white people were not historically kept down by institutions determined to do so?

If yes, nothing he said was stupid or racist.

If no, you're blind to facts.

People like him don't give a shit about minorities, they only care how they can be exploited for political purposes. Illegal immigration has proven this without a doubt.

Is it true or not that white people were not historically kept down by institutions determined to do so?

No, you (and he) are excusing generational poverty of other races (laying it solely at the feet of white racism) while asserting white people have no excuse. "The institution" favors money over skin, and generational poverty is color-blind. Don't blame the "have-nots" just because their skin color matches the "haves." That is straight-up racist.

Not only are your memes worse than some toothless redneck facebook uncle, they don't even make sense.

You realize Obama had a Democrat Congress for 2 years and did absolutely nothing to help the economy? Or did you not realize that? I honestly don't know
And Dem congress that the last two years of GWB heading into the recession.

But there is plenty of generational poverty among whites as well. Children brought up in that situation are highly likely to continue those traditions.

I believe everyone has the same chance to be successful (barring some sort of legitimate mental or physical handicap.) I said this many times leading up to the election and it has only gotten more true. If you're an able bodied/able minded adult and are not successful, it's because you choose not to be - regardless of race/gender/etc.

No, you (and he) are excusing generational poverty of other races (laying it solely at the feet of white racism) while asserting white people have no excuse. "The institution" favors money over skin, and generational poverty is color-blind. Don't blame the "have-nots" just because their skin color matches the "haves." That is straight-up racist.

That is just not true. Were whites subjected to slavery, Jim Crow, discriminatory housing, etc? Do you deny that happened?

Sure, escaping poverty is difficult for anyone, regardless of race. But it was much more difficult when an entire system was geared towards keeping you in poverty.

To say that has no lasting effect is simply ignoring realities such as The Black Codes, Homestead Acts, redlining, etc.

But there is plenty of generational poverty among whites as well. Children brought up in that situation are highly likely to continue those traditions.

I believe everyone has the same chance to be successful (barring some sort of legitimate mental or physical handicap.) I said this many times leading up to the election and it has only gotten more true. If you're an able bodied/able minded adult and are not successful, it's because you choose not to be - regardless of race/gender/etc.

You're looking through idyllic lenses.

Since it only applies to "whitey" I guess we will never really know.
While other groups have definitely been discriminated against in our history...we essentially imprisoned 120,000 Japanese Americans during WWII for nothing other than being Japanese but strangely 0 German or Italian Americans...I wonder why? We never had separate entrances, schools, bathrooms or drinking fountains for Asians or Hispanics. Never had laws specifically aimed at one race other than blacks.

You also seem to forget that white women also have benefited from affirmative action.

Thanks in large measure to affirmative action and civil rights protections that opened up previously restricted opportunities to women of all colors, from 1972–1993:

– The percentage of women architects increased from 3% to nearly 19% of the total;

– The percentage of women doctors more than doubled from 10% to 22% of all doctors;

– The percentage of women lawyers grew from 4% to 23% of the national total;

– The percentage of female engineers went from less than 1% to nearly 9%;

– The percentage of female chemists grew from 10% to 30% of all chemists; and,

– The percentage of female college faculty went from 28% to 42% of all faculty. (Moseley-Braun 1995, 8)

Furthermore, since only 1983, the percentage of women business managers and professionals grew from 41% of all such persons, to 48%, while the number of female police officers more than doubled, from 6% to 13% (U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census 1995, Table 649). According to a 1995 study, there are at least six million women — the overwhelming majority of them white — who simply wouldn't have the jobs they have today, but for the inroads made by affirmative action (Cose 1997, 171)

Dude, what you think of me could not be more meaningless.

Reactions: EastKYWildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT