POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
lol so mere days after rushing the pension bill through without reading it, and having teachers march of Frankfort, the KY Republicans are going to turn around and raise tax rates on low income earners while lowering the tax rates for the highest earners. All while also expanding the sales tax.

Good work fellas. Should keep you in office for a while.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
And they wonder why people don't support public schools more: Current teachers were basically unhurt, yet they're out bitchin & not teaching so their kids get screwed.

To my knowledge, nothing was done to eliminate the existing pensions under-funding; i.e., paying back in for some existing liability, just that they stopped letting it get worse by fully funding this year's proscribed amount. No?

Today and tomorrow in Oklahoma teachers had a walk out and were demonstrating at the capital in OKC even though a bill was passed on Wednesday to give them a $6,000.00 a year raise. $500.00 more a month and they said it was not enough.

It is hard to support those who continue to bitch even after they won a pretty big pay increase.

I read the plan was introduced today, not passed. But agree with what you say it would do.

People will call these sales taxes regressive, but I don't know how else you capture the economic activities of those operating in a cash society with under the table payments.

This will do nothing to capture any activity associated with cash transactions. Those are nearly impossible to capture for services, unless the parties want it captured.

This was dumb in that it won't have any noticable impact on revenue, will cause all sorts of enforcement issues, cause costs on services to rise, and wind up with noone happy.

At this point it looks like they're trying to lose.

Today and tomorrow in Oklahoma teachers had a walk out and were demonstrating at the capital in OKC even though a bill was passed on Wednesday to give them a $6,000.00 a year raise. $500.00 more a month and they said it was not enough.

It is hard to support those who continue to bitch even after they won a pretty big pay increase.
OK teachers are lowest paid in USA.

This will do nothing to capture any activity associated with cash transactions. Those are nearly impossible to capture for services, unless the parties want it captured.

This was dumb in that it won't have any noticable impact on revenue, will cause all sorts of enforcement issues, cause costs on services to rise, and wind up with noone happy.

I'm trying to talk about the fact they have to buy stuff & thus pay taxes on that. You're right on the other stuff.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

Don't know if I agree with this or not until I see the specifics. If they are taxing car repairs, CPA bills, and other services, then that is not necessarily impacting low earners more. Yes, it will cause the costs of services to rise . . . . because the state needs revenue to pay all its bills, and commitments.

At some point, the general population has to understand you cannot ask politicians to keep benefits the same, or even raise them due to COL, especially with a population that keeps growing and aging - while at the same time asking the same politicians to cut taxes or at the very least never raise them, no matter what the needs may be. You cannot keep doing both at the same time.

Reactions: augustaky1

$6,000 raise? Hell yeah I'm taking that with no complaints.

Especially if I teach public school in Oklahoma.

It doesn't provide any funding to the pensions. Fixes absolutely nothing. All it does is set the stage for phasing out pure pension system and move toward half pension & half 401k for new hires, partially funded now by local governments. It also change some rules about saving up sick days and cut COL increases. The legislature also exempted themselves from any of the pension changes because they are pieces of shit.
This article shows the Legislature is on the path to more pensions funding & reducing the debt:

http://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article207498239.html

Don't know if I agree with this or not until I see the specifics. If they are taxing car repairs, CPA bills, and other services, then that is not necessarily impacting low earners more. Yes, it will cause the costs of services to rise . . . . because the state needs revenue to pay all its bills, and commitments.

At some point, the general population has to understand you cannot ask politicians to keep benefits the same, or even raise them due to COL, especially with a population that keeps growing and aging - while at the same time asking the same politicians to cut taxes or at the very least never raise them, no matter what the needs may be. You cannot keep doing both at the same time.

I agree there needs to be increased revenue through taxation ONLY IF the deficiency can't be made up through cuts. I don't think cuts alone will do it here.

Can't just raise any old taxes. They need to be strategic.

Reactions: Tskware
the article says almost the exact opposite? it says they are kicking the can down the road even further and racking up an extra 5billion in debt because of it. And that is assuming that the state actually fully makes their pension payments which we all know won't happen.
You clearly can't read graphs: From the current ~11% (You see that on the graph, right?), the plan approved gets funding up to 42% in 20 years. That is higher than 11%, right? That there would need to be higher expenditure today & for the next 20 years gets it to 70% is not a detriment to of the improvement passed, is it?

My question is why aren't you furious at the previous Legislatures & Governors that let it let get down to 11% of liabilities funding vs. being outraged at a) even the recognition of the problem & b) making some steps to fixing it? It took 20-30 years to create this problem & your not happy with improvement. Please explain.

But his average approval across all 10 major polls has pretty much stayed at 41%

Actually, I didn't parrot anything. I linked a tweet with zero opinion of my own. You can agree or disagree. Makes no difference to me as you are irrelevant.

Also, are those the same major polls that said Hillary had a 10 point lead and a 98% chance to win the election? If you want to continue to parrot them, just like you were most certainly doing before the election, then good for you... I guess.

OK teachers are lowest paid in USA.
Yes but, show some manner of civility when you get this kind of increase. Also, Oklahoma ranks 50th in the nation in education results so, teach better get paid better. Perhaps they were getting paid because of the quality of education they were providing.

I hope the legislature can fund the pensions but it looks like right now their plan is to lower taxes for rich people and pass a higher sales tax to fund it. who the **** puts forth a regressive tax plan when your currently 400million short on the budget. I just see a bunch of bullshit promises to get funding and nothing to make it actually happen. They aren't even debating gambling and pot legislation, the easy fix.

If you want to parrot Rasmussen i guess good for you. But his average approval across all 10 major polls has pretty much stayed at 41% plus or minus a point or 2 his entire presidency. Their poll jumped 5% in 2 days which means they are using either a very small sample size or not doing a very good job of getting a non skewed sample.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

Normally I tend to ignore you because you always purposely, or ignorantly, misrepresent everything, are wrong more often than not and replying to your nonsense is a total waste of keystrokes, but I'm actually interested in hearing more about this.

You claimed, as a fact, that the Rasmussen poll is wrong based on what other polls say. Prove it. Because logic says that if the Rasmussen poll can be wrong, then the other polls can just easily be wrong as well.

What makes the majority polls right in this situation but the outlier poll wrong? Because they confirm your fairytale bias and the outlier poll crushes it? Because you heard them say it on CNN? Did the Russians hack Rasmussen?

What I find interesting is it's exactly like election day. One poll was an outlier and actually had Trump in the lead. It was then attacked and denied by the same exact people - most likely including you - attacking and denying the Rasmussen poll today. We all know exactly how that turned out, don't we?

Reactions: screwduke1
29594669_1478308622279869_8383403751212055481_n.jpg

I hope the legislature can fund the pensions but it looks like right now their plan is to lower taxes for rich people and pass a higher sales tax to fund it. who the **** puts forth a regressive tax plan when your currently 400million short on the budget. I just see a bunch of bullshit promises to get funding and nothing to make it actually happen. They aren't even debating gambling and pot legislation, the easy fix.
Dems favor higher sales tax
Pls show your work on gambling and weed "easily" fixing the pension issue (I back both fwiw).

Normally I tend to ignore you because you always purposely, or ignorantly, misrepresent everything, are wrong more often than not and replying to your nonsense is a total waste of keystrokes, but I'm actually interested in hearing more about this.

You claimed, as a fact, that the Rasmussen poll is wrong based on what other polls say. Prove it. Because logic says that if the Rasmussen poll can be wrong, then the other polls can just easily be wrong as well.

What makes the majority polls right in this situation but the outlier poll wrong? Because they confirm your fairytale bias and the outlier poll crushes it? Because you heard them say it on CNN? Did the Russians hack Rasmussen?

What I find interesting is it's exactly like election day. One poll was an outlier and actually had Trump in the lead. It was then attacked and denied by the same exact people - most likely including you - attacking and denying the Rasmussen poll today. We all know exactly how that turned out, don't we?
The majority of polls weren't wrong. She got the popular vote by 2%. Most polls had her winning by 2-5% with MoE generally of 3%. I think every major poll but rueters called it within the MoE because they way overesampled Johnson supporters. She just was stupid and let 50k votes sink her in 3 states. I think the most acurate was Fox at 48-44. (Actual was 48-46) Rasmussen had it at 45-43, another poll that way overesampled 3rd party supporters.

Reactions: Willy4UK
The majority of polls weren't wrong. She got the popular vote by 2%. Most polls had her winning by 2-5% with MoE generally of 3%. I think every major poll but rueters called it within the MoE because they way overesampled Johnson supporters. She just was stupid and let 50k votes sink her in 3 states. I think the most acurate was Fox at 48-44. (Actual was 48-46) Rasmussen had it at 45-43, another poll that way overesampled 3rd party supporters.

They were wrong by a large margin leading up to the election. Have you already forgotten all the polls in the weeks prior to the election that had Clinton up by as many as 14 points?

In fact Rasmussen and the LA times poll were the only 2 that consistently had Trump in a neck and neck with Clinton.

They all tightened up in the days before the election. If you want ignore the one poll that was consistent the last 2 elections, that’s on you, but don’t come here parroting polls that had Clinton ahead by 14 points(nbc) a month prior.

Reactions: moe_schmoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT