How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Repealing itself.

Medica, the last insurer selling individual health policies in most of Iowa, likely to exit.

Tens of thousands of Iowans could be left with no health insurance options next year, after the last carrier for most of the state announced Wednesday that it likely would stop selling individual health policies here.

Medica’s announcement comes on the heels of word last month that Aetna and Wellmark Blue Cross & Blue Shield would pull out of Iowa’s individual health insurance market for 2018. Those are the only three choices for individual health insurance in most areas of the state this year.

The carriers’ exit could leave more than 70,000 Iowans who buy their own coverage without any options for 2018.

The news caught national attention Wednesday, because of fears that residents of other states could also lose insurance as carriers pull out of the market.

I guess we'll see about that. Pretty tough to turn around a ship that's headed in the same direction for 1000 years...

Yeah, the abolitionist were liberals. The GOP was the liberal party of the 1860's. In fact if you knew your history you'd know that there wasn't a real liberal/conservative divide in the parties until the 1960's and Barry Goldwater. Northeastern Republicans who were the dominant force in the GOP were as liberal socially as any... Southern Blue Dog Democrats were as conservative socially as any. Reagan changed the landscape by joining the Evangelicals, southern Democrats and other conservatives together.

Abolitionists were not liberal, at least anything remotely close to what would be considered liberal by today's standards.

Hope we can stay out of a war but it's not looking good
I think this is a positive sign. Is shows how opposed the Chinese are to having millions of North Korean refugees flood into their country. That is one of their greatest fears in all of this, and I'm assuming they'll do whatever it takes to avoid it, including putting North Korea in check before any US attack.

Reactions: Rex Kwon Do
Bet he also believes that all the racist Democrats who voted against the abolishment of slavery switch over to the Republican party.
So you think that the Republican and Democratic parties of the 1860's were the same as in the 1980's?

Dude, the south was pretty solid Democratic from the end of the Civil War until 1960...97 years after the Emancipation Proclamation...so no...the ones that voted against the abolishment of slavery were all dead before the south turned red. But they started leaving as the civil rights era appeared in the 1950's and 1960's. Goldwater carried Dixie in '64, George Wallace carried most of Dixie in '68. Strom Thurmond carried parts of Dixie in 1948....the south has long been conservative, not so long Republican. Matter of fact had you been around even into the 1960's most southerners would tell you that no self respecting southerner would ever vote for a republican.

2015-09-26-1443230248-7519979-preselectionresults.gif

Anytime you want to discuss/debate based upon actual factual data and not insults, let's go.
[laughing]

Also, in a similar context....Rick Pitino on humility:

"Humility is the true key to success. Successful people lose their way at times. They often embrace and overindulge from the fruits of success. Humility halts this arrogance and self-indulging trap. Humble people share the credit and wealth, remaining focused and hungry to continue the journey of success."

Bet he also believes that all the racist Democrats who voted against the abolishment of slavery switch over to the Republican party.
Bet he avoids talking about free enterprise, business innovation, and military power as criteria is his shitastic retelling of history.

Reactions: USSLair
Abolitionists were not liberal, at least anything remotely close to what would be considered liberal by today's standards.
Bill, you realize that the terms liberal and conservative are relative terms...right?

To claim the abolitionist weren't the liberals of their day is simply ignorant. The bar of liberal and conservative constantly moves and is relative to the current environment.

I think he's referring to the "Big Switch" where all the racist southern Democrats who opposed the Civil Rights movement (not abolishment of slavery) supposedly switched over to the Republican party, when in reality there wasn't a big switch.

Reactions: DwayneMeighan
With this I agree also....which begs the question why so many "conservatives" think Trump is a conservative.
Trump is an opportunist that uses whatever, will say whatever he thinks will serve Trump.

Umm excuse me but who are these conseratives you speak of? I consider myself a republican because of certain issues but the conserveratives in Congress aren'texactly lining up behind Trump.

Your just a horrible person who can't understand a thing.

Phatty, I agree with your point B - but a lot of standard, straight line republicans also voted for Trump. To your point, this message board isn't populated by run of the mill conservatives though.

And the supreme Court Justice pick was the main reason for that. Which he delivered.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Bill, admit it. The only rational argument you or anyone has ever won is that in your own mind. Making a statement <> winning an argument unless you actually changed someone else's mind. A cutesy comeback doesn't win the argument. And I'd say that history shows that liberals have won most arguments. As I've stated previously, the difference between a liberal and conservative is usually about 25 years...the time it takes for societal attitudes to change.
  • end of slavery
  • women's right to vote
  • child labor
  • abortion
  • civil rights/integration
  • gay rights
All liberal causes...
Conservatives win battles here and there but always lose the wars over time. #truth
The problem with your history lesson is that today's conservatives were yesterday's liberals. The term liberal and conservative means entirely different things today. Today's conservatives value individual liberty more than anything else. That is the hallmark of the classic liberal ideology that formed our government over 200 years ago. Today's liberals do not value individual liberty above all things. They favor a collective approach to things where government acts in the supposed best interest of the whole instead of an approach that where government supports individual liberty and free choice.

I think he's referring to the "Big Switch" where all the racist southern Democrats who opposed the Civil Rights movement (not abolishment of slavery) supposedly switched over to the Republican party, when in reality there wasn't a big switch.
This is correct. I misspoke. I meant the civil rights movement not slavery. Point still remains. Thousands of racist Democrats who opposed civil rights stayed racist Democrats and never switched to being the big bad racist Republicans as the myth would have some (such as him) to believe.

Reactions: moe_schmoe
Repealing itself.

Medica, the last insurer selling individual health policies in most of Iowa, likely to exit.

Tens of thousands of Iowans could be left with no health insurance options next year, after the last carrier for most of the state announced Wednesday that it likely would stop selling individual health policies here.

Medica’s announcement comes on the heels of word last month that Aetna and Wellmark Blue Cross & Blue Shield would pull out of Iowa’s individual health insurance market for 2018. Those are the only three choices for individual health insurance in most areas of the state this year.

The carriers’ exit could leave more than 70,000 Iowans who buy their own coverage without any options for 2018.

The news caught national attention Wednesday, because of fears that residents of other states could also lose insurance as carriers pull out of the market.

Fuzz is happy. Means Obamacare is working. Amite right?

Reactions: moe_schmoe
Bill, admit it. The only rational argument you or anyone has ever won is that in your own mind. Making a statement <> winning an argument unless you actually changed someone else's mind. A cutesy comeback doesn't win the argument. And I'd say that history shows that liberals have won most arguments. As I've stated previously, the difference between a liberal and conservative is usually about 25 years...the time it takes for societal attitudes to change.
  • end of slavery
  • women's right to vote
  • child labor
  • abortion
  • civil rights/integration
  • gay rights
All liberal causes...
Conservatives win battles here and there but always lose the wars over time. #truth
Fake truth. Nothing you posted is substantiated by anything you posted which is the norm for liberals and your we win the argument because we say so is just plain stupid and the reason you guys continue to lose ground. I LIKE IT!

The problem with your history lesson is that today's conservatives were yesterday's liberals. The term liberal and conservative means entirely different things today. Today's conservatives value individual liberty more than anything else. That is the hallmark of the classic liberal ideology that formed out government over 200 years ago. Today's liberals do not value individual liberty above all things. They favor a collective approach to things where government acts in the supposed best interest of the whole instead of an approach that where government supports individual liberty and free choice.
No, not really. The accepted norms of today's conservatives are those ideas pushed by liberals 25 years ago. And if history continues to repeat itself the same will be said 25 years from now.
Liberals most certainly do value individual liberty and that is why they take on causes for those who are denied those liberties. What do you think the who gay marriage issue was about? Extending the liberties of marriage and the benefits it bestows on us through tax, property and privacy laws to those in same-sex relationships. They (liberals) just understand that government sometimes has to be the bully pulpit used to extend those rights to others.
The line between individual liberty and collective good is not a clear bright line. The individualist could argue that if I'm able to collect and amass enough power and influence I should be able to do whatever I please. I should be able to amass monopolies of industry and destroy my competitors. To manage society we have government and where the line is drawn between the good of the individual and the good for society is and has always been up for debate. The greatest potential for individual liberty would exist in an anarchy. If you accept that government is a necessary evil then you have already taken a stance against the most conservative form of individualism. From that point it's all matters of degree.

Bill, you realize that the terms liberal and conservative are relative terms...right?

To claim the abolitionist weren't the liberals of their day is simply ignorant. The bar of liberal and conservative constantly moves and is relative to the current environment.

How were they liberal? By using their faith as a moral compass?

By "take on" individual liberty do you mean make big government your daddy, babysitter, nurse, atm machine, saviour, etc...? Exactly where does the "individual" part come in to that so called liberty?

Saw some reports that Trump supposedly swayed a few people who were going to vote no to vote yes. Guess we will see what happens. Hard telling with how the GOP is these days.
He did. Made an amendment to keep preexisting conditions and gained several yes votes.

Reactions: screwduke1
Someone tell fuzz that just because liberals beat conservative to the punch when it comes to trashing the Constitution and dragging Western Civilization into the toilet, that's not really something to brag about.

During his final year in office, President Barack Obama's team significantly expanded efforts to search National Security Agency intercepts for information about Americans, distributing thousands of intelligence reports across government with the unredacted names of U.S. residents during the midst of a divisive 2016 presidential election.

http://circa.com/politics/president...ousands-of-americans-during-the-2016-election

And the supreme Court Justice pick was the main reason for that. Which he delivered.

I don't have a problem with Gorsuch myself. The SCOTUS isn't going to break precedent on any of the hot button issues in my lifetime. Guns will always be freely accessible and abortion will always be legal - and those are the 2 big things that really get conservatives and liberals fired up respectively.

Phatty, I agree with your point B - but a lot of standard, straight line republicans also voted for Trump. To your point, this message board isn't populated by run of the mill conservatives though.

Yes, a lot did. Also a lot were "never trumpers"

Point remains that welching fuzz tries to insult us by saying you dumbass conservatives didn't even elect a conservative. But, the bar isn't set too high for ol' fuzz

Reactions: JohnKBA
Guns will always be freely accessible and abortion will always be legal - and those are the 2 big things that really get conservatives and liberals fired up respectively.
True, but liberals have taken it even further and want abortion up until birth. They would have gotten that under Hillary.

During his final year in office, President Barack Obama's team significantly expanded efforts to search National Security Agency intercepts for information about Americans, distributing thousands of intelligence reports across government with the unredacted names of U.S. residents during the midst of a divisive 2016 presidential election.

http://circa.com/politics/president...ousands-of-americans-during-the-2016-election
Circa has been killing it. They're the only media outlet taking the surveillance scandal seriously and actually investigating and reporting on it.

Reactions: screwduke1
Logically, why would any woman carry a baby to term then decide not to birth it? It doesn't make any sense.
Ask those who are fighting for it. Regardless of if it makes sense to you, there are millions out there clamoring for it to be legal, and Hillary was going to give it to them.

Ask those who are fighting for it. Regardless of if it makes sense to you, there are millions out there clamoring for it to be legal, and Hillary was going to give it to them.

How was Hillary gonna do that? Was she gonna put herself on the bench then force 4 other justices to vote with her on it?

Millions (source please?) may be clamoring for it, but I don't see a market for it honestly. Women have abortions because 1) they don't want to have a baby 2) they can't afford to have a baby 3) the baby tests for defects 4) the mother's life would be put in danger by having the baby.

My guess is anyone clamoring for this is simply a women's rights extremist who simply wants vindication from the SC that they truly have full control of their bodies.

Waiting 9 months to abort doesn't help with any of those except possibly #4, in which case I'd be for it. I'd trade a baby's life for my wife's.

Reactions: BlueThruAndThru
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT