POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would love to know what Trump supposedly did to keep Carrier in IN. I have a couple manufacturing clients in IN, and many more in OH I may advise to threaten to leave the country if Trump's handing out special favors.

This "flag burning is not free speech even though the one single body in the universe that is infallible on the topic has said it is, and SCOTUS is dumb because you can't burn a flag in Cuba so you shouldn't be able to burn one in the US" talk is great. Hopefully it continues through the weekend.

Trump himself probably didn't do much to keep Carrier, it's the message that elected Trump that carries the weight.

People are starting to care about jobs being sent overseas, the bad public reaction would cost Carrier more than the savings it would make by moving production to Mexico.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Free speech is protection from the government. Not a college.
No ,I'm pretty sure the Bill of Rights is in effect country wide and applies to all of us,I guess interpretation of the 1st Amendment could vary=
Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I can't see where it does not apply on a College Campus ,of course Liberals attacking the Constitution would like you to think it only applies in certain situations,but if we do that we all lose OUR FREEDOM eventually.

A US citizen should be able to burn any flag they want as long as they paid for it or have permission from the owner and do it safely. I don't like it, but get real: it's a harmless gesture. Probably wouldn't, but hell, I may want to burn one if this progressive bullshit ever takes over the country.

As Pence said, "this is what freedom looks like". Damn right!

What pisses me off more are the emotional dumbasses who want to take away our freedom and give more ridiculous power to the government. If you fall into that category, kiss my ass.

No ,I'm pretty sure the Bill of Rights is in effect country wide and applies to all of us,I guess interpretation of the 1st Amendment could vary=
Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I can't see where it does not apply on a College Campus ,of course Liberals attacking the Constitution would like you to think it only applies in certain situations,but if we do that we all lose OUR FREEDOM eventually.

no. it only applies to the government. that document is to protect the citizens from the ruling government. it's a limiting of power.
it even says Congress shall make no law. it doesn't say there shall be no consequences. it says it can't be made illegal.

no. it only applies to the government. that document is to protect the citizens from the ruling government. it's a limiting of power.
it even says Congress shall make no law. it doesn't say there shall be no consequences. it says it can't be made illegal.
What rights to freedom of expression do students have?

Public school students possess a range of free-expression rights under the First Amendment. Students can speak, write articles, assemble to form groups and even petition school officials on issues. The U.S. Supreme Court has said that students “do not shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech and expression at the schoolhouse gate.”

There is a fundamental distinction between public and private school students under the First Amendment. The First Amendment and the other provisions of the Bill of Rights limit the government from infringing on an individual’s rights. Public school officials act as part of the government and are called state actors. As such, they must act according to the principles in the Bill of Rights. Private schools, however, aren’t arms of the government. Therefore, the First Amendment does not provide protection for students at private schools.

Though public school students do possess First Amendment freedoms, the courts allow school officials to regulate certain types of student expression. For example, school officials may prohibit speech that substantially disrupts the school environment or that invades the rights of others. Many courts have held that school officials can restrict student speech that is lewd.

Many state constitutions contain provisions safeguarding free expression. Some state Supreme Courts have interpreted their constitutions to provide greater protection than the federal Constitution. In addition, a few states have adopted laws providing greater protection for freedom of speech.

Reactions: ymmot31
I think it's as simple as these were student-athletes that made a dumbass choice by posting something stupid on social media and their coach suspended them. While you are guaranteed freedom of speech, teams have standards/rules/expectations that players and participants must abide by or suffer the consequences.

I always get a chuckle from the Freedom of Speech thing. Sure, I can go into work, go on a racist rant. I won't go to jail for it but I might get fired for it. I'm trying to figure out if they were mocking about Trump and the perceived racist attitude he has or were they being serious. It looks like the school took it as a serious stance, but I think it was just a tasteless joke.

At first glance, those would appear to be 3 students making a satirical statement about the KKK's support for Trump.

Maybe I have that wrong, but that's the way I would take it.

What rights to freedom of expression do students have?

Public school students possess a range of free-expression rights under the First Amendment. Students can speak, write articles, assemble to form groups and even petition school officials on issues. The U.S. Supreme Court has said that students “do not shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech and expression at the schoolhouse gate.”

There is a fundamental distinction between public and private school students under the First Amendment. The First Amendment and the other provisions of the Bill of Rights limit the government from infringing on an individual’s rights. Public school officials act as part of the government and are called state actors. As such, they must act according to the principles in the Bill of Rights. Private schools, however, aren’t arms of the government. Therefore, the First Amendment does not provide protection for students at private schools.

Though public school students do possess First Amendment freedoms, the courts allow school officials to regulate certain types of student expression. For example, school officials may prohibit speech that substantially disrupts the school environment or that invades the rights of others. Many courts have held that school officials can restrict student speech that is lewd.

Many state constitutions contain provisions safeguarding free expression. Some state Supreme Courts have interpreted their constitutions to provide greater protection than the federal Constitution. In addition, a few states have adopted laws providing greater protection for freedom of speech.

Good explanation. From your first post it seemed that maybe you didn't understand the scope of the Amendment (most people referencing "the Constitution" rarely understand what they're talking about); but now it's clear that you do - and with your informative post we do.

Reactions: wentzel25
At first glance, those would appear to be 3 students making a satirical statement about the KKK's support for Trump.

Maybe I have that wrong, but that's the way I would take it.

Its unclear if the three cheerleaders with the ugly K sweaters on were doing anything but a bro-hug at a party. The person who snapped the photo said here phone was "stolen" and that person snapchatted the photo and added the commentary. So because of the precious snowflake safe space mentality on the college campus....they are suspending the cheerleaders and the "poster" of the picture until the investigation is over. Basically guilty until proved innocent.

Its unclear if the three cheerleaders with the ugly K sweaters on were doing anything but a bro-hug at a party. The person who snapped the photo said here phone was "stolen" and that person snapchatted the photo and added the commentary. So because of the precious snowflake safe space mentality on the college campus....they are suspending the cheerleaders and the "poster" of the picture until the investigation is over. Basically guilty until proved innocent.

Everybody has such a quick trigger these days.

There you go. When a cheerleader starts posting pictures that seem to endorse a hate group responsible for the death of thousands of Americans, you can rightfully assume it will disrupt the school environment, and the school can certainly suspend them from a school team.

It is a strange world when we have people saying that kids shouldn't suffer the consequences of their actions, and seemingly taking the side of Ku Klux Klan supporters at that.

Would love to know what Trump supposedly did to keep Carrier in IN. I have a couple manufacturing clients in IN, and many more in OH I may advise to threaten to leave the country if Trump's handing out special favors.

Lol... Zero chance that you have any influence on that.

Freedom of speech protects us from going to jail for the things we say.

It does not protect us from societal consequences, be it employment, extra curricular activities, or otherwise.

Amazing how many people don't understand this.

Reactions: wentzel25 and 1war

This "flag burning is not free speech even though the one single body in the universe that is infallible on the topic has said it is, and SCOTUS is dumb because you can't burn a flag in Cuba so you shouldn't be able to burn one in the US" talk is great. Hopefully it continues through the weekend.
The mere fact that Trump wants to reduce corporate taxes significantly and get rid of stupid regulations will help most companies tremendously. I don't think special favors are really required.

Since when did three Kansas Sweaters endorse the KKK?

Uh... they did a posed picture where they posted "KKK". I suppose it could have been just a Kansas reference, but given the obvious history of "KKK," and that they added a Trump reference, and that the Klan's approval of Trump has been a public story this year, I think it is worth looking at. The University has suspended them from the cheerleading team while they investigate. If it turns out to be an innocent thing, I'm sure they will go back to cheering. If not, they get what they deserve.

Listen, you are the one who posted about the schools having the right to take action. Not sure why you would think a school wouldn't do that if it looked like a group of students who are a very public face of the University are posting smiling photos about the Klan.

Uh... they did a posed picture where they posted "KKK". I suppose it could have been just a Kansas reference, but given the obvious history of "KKK," and that they added a Trump reference, and that the Klan's approval of Trump has been a public story this year, I think it is worth looking at. The University has suspended them from the cheerleading team while they investigate. If it turns out to be an innocent thing, I'm sure they will go back to cheering. If not, they get what they deserve.

Listen, you are the one who posted about the schools having the right to take action. Not sure why you would think a school wouldn't do that if it looked like a group of students who are a very public face of the University are posting smiling photos about the Klan.
Yes,but I think in too many instances things are taken out of context,I haven't seen the picture,but people go overboard with sensitivity these days.I do agree that the school has the right to take action if it was meant in the way it's being perceived only because they are a member of the Cheerleading squad,not as students.

We have idiots posting ISIS recruiting posters on campuses nationwide,yet we find it necessary to suspend these kids over a no doubt drunken joke.Big difference in promoting killing Americans and promoting the murder of Police officers (Like Black Lives Matters) than insulting Trump and I'm a Trump supporter,not a hate group supporter.

We have idiots posting ISIS recruiting posters on campuses nationwide,yet we find it necessary to suspend these kids over a no doubt drunken joke.Big difference in promoting killing Americans and promoting the murder of Police officers (Like Black Lives Matters) than insulting Trump and I'm a Trump supporter,not a hate group supporter.

I'm sure they would be suspended if you post ISIS recruiting....

No doubt drunken joke?.... okay smh.

I'm sure they would be suspended if you post ISIS recruiting....
I can post tons of info on terrorist organizations recruiting on various College Campuses,you can look it up just as easily,in fact a Tennessee lawmaker even pushed a bill to allow it. Pretty screwed up world when terrorists are tolerated but let some White Kids do something non threatening but stupid and drop the boom.

I can post tons of info on terrorist organizations recruiting on various College Campuses,you can look it up just as easily,in fact a Tennessee lawmaker even pushed a bill to allow it. Pretty screwed up world when terrorists are tolerated but let some White Kids do something non threatening but stupid and drop the boom.

please stop looking at fake news sites. thanks...

Reactions: wentzel25
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT