ADVERTISEMENT

Player that frustrated you the most?

Jared Prickett.

Great offensive rebounder who couldn’t make a damn layup to save his life + he regressed the longer he was here. His freshman season was his best.
Yeah, had 20 rebounds in NCAA tournament game against Fl St. or somebody his Freshman year. I don't know if he regressed as much as just the talent here got better and deeper! He played on some loaded ass teams all the way through and still was only 2 points from being a 1000 point scorer. It did seem like he would've had a better career though if you look at what he did as a freshman on a FF team. He was frustrating as in he'd get an offensive rebound then miss a damn bunny.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
For every good transfer Cal gets there's a dud and the name Ryan Harrow comes to mind. Without the UL performance he's in the same category as Askew.

Skal is the first one that comes to mind.

But as far as frustrated the most, nothing compares to the frustration of Pelphrey running away from Laettner.
Heard that. However, he and every other UK player were scared to death to breathe on the guy and commit a foul. One of the most egregious officiated games of all time was that UK-duke game in 1992. If it were to happen in the .com era, things would’ve exploded.

I still can’t fathom how it’s the least talked about screw job I can recall. For a little perspective, Mashburn fouled out and literally only committed one foul, two at the very most. No way in hell we’re 3/4 of those fouls. They gave duke that game and that title.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
A lot of good ones mentioned but I'm gonna go with James Blackmon. He was a stud in HS and a Micky Ds AA. He had some good moments for us, but I thought he would be so much better.

I saw Blackmon a LOT in HS. To be honest, I had a lot of doubts about how he would play in college. In HS he played against players who were his size, slower, and less athletic. He often scored by driving to the basket. His long range game was highly suspect. His game just didn't work on the college level.

Of course, if he had gone to a different school and played for a different coach, who knows? I always wondered if he might have been a star in another program.

Reactions: tomrain
Anyone care to elaborate on Derek Hord, Richard Madison, or Rob Lock? All before my time.
I guess I would consider myself an old timer now. Derek Hord, in what was probably the all time loaded high school class ever, which included Sam Bowie, Ralph Sampson, Isiah Thomas, Clark Kellogg, Dominque Wilkins, just to name a few was actually rated the number one prospect of the bunch by some analysts. He had a mediocre career at KY, had some good games, but never improved as a player and barely averaged double figures, if my memory serves me correctly. Richard Madison, think Alex Poythress. Body and talent level of an NBA superstar, but never was really more than average. A good game here and there, kept waiting for him to explode, but never happened. Back in the old days, before the McDonalds All Americans, you had the Street and Smiths profiles of the top players in the country. Rob Lock was on that list. For 3 years he was about the equivalent of a Lance Ware, but acutally his senior year, I beleive Eddie Sutton's first year, he blossomed into a really decent player-think Josh Harrellson's senior year.

Let’s leave Keion out of this one because he’s been discussed enough recently.

What UK player most frustrated you for either not living up to their potential or not living up to their hype? (Leave Sharpe out too)

The first name that comes to my mind is Poythress. I think he stands above others in my mind because I genuinely liked the guy. I wanted him to be as good as he occasionally showed that he could be.

As far as players that came in with a lot of hype and completely flopped, Rasshad Carruth. I’m sure Askew and Skal will be names still burning on a lot fans tongues.
Carruth. That dude. I saw him play for Indian Hills after he got booted at OU. Was at a tourney in Moberly MO. Was there with the HS team I was coaching at the time. Didn't even know it was him at first. Got there after the game started. Watched a couple of trips and quickly realized this guy was about 10X better than anyone on the floor. Had something like 40 and was just effortless. He played without effort and was a horrible teammate, but good lord he could score and was so talented. And just couldn't have been a bigger turd on and an off the court. His behaviors after the game were just so immature. Man he crapped away a career.

Askew. Skal. Harrow. Wiltjer. They're all up there for me.

Last edited:
Isaiah Briscoe
How many times a game would he dribble the baseline, only to step out of bounds??
2 times a game?
3 times??

Hon. Mention
Saul Smith
Tom Heitz (that is, when he would get to play)
You actually had expectations for Saul? Yikes.

BJ Boston and it aint even close!!!! My least favorite Wildcat ever.

I would have to say that Skal was the most frustrating for me. Boston is one of the most forgettable. And, I mean that literally too. I barely even remember him other than a name.

Lower number= most disappointing

10. Fredrick
9. Haggans
8. Wheeler
7.. Toppin
6. Goodwin
5. Sarrs
4. Labassiere
3. whitney
2. Boston
1. Clarke (for quitting and faking injury to get out of mess of a team)

A lot of good ones mentioned but I'm gonna go with James Blackmon. He was a stud in HS and a Micky Ds AA. He had some good moments for us, but I thought he would be so much better.
Really talented. Coaches have their style and this is not a knock on coach Hall, but James Blackmon was not suited for his style of play. I think he would have been a great college player at a place like UNLV under Tarkanian or Houston under Guy Lewis.

If I was old enough I’d say Richard Madison.
What ? Richard Madison was great! I am old enough and I will tell you he is near the bottom of my disappointment list. You didn't see that final bucket he made to beat Oklahoma at Rupp. Legendary.
Frustration? That's Rashad Carruth, Jared Vanderbilt, Sharpe, Wheeler. Tubby set the first one straight. The others...well you know.

What ? Richard Madison was great! I am old enough and I will tell you he is near the bottom of my disappointment list. You didn't see that final bucket he made to beat Oklahoma at Rupp. Legendary.
Frustration? That's Rashad Carruth, Jared Vanderbilt, Sharpe, Wheeler. Tubby set the first one straight. The others...well you know.
Richard Madison was GREAT? Look, I was only 4-8 years old when he was at Kentucky and really only start having my first memories of Kentucky basketball around his last 2 years. I was 7-8 years old. What I remember (and have heard from so many people that are a little older than me) is that he was a HUGE disappointment considering his potential and the hype he had coming in. McDonalds and Parade All-American out of high school. Here are his 4 year stats:

SeasonGames
Played
MinutesFGFGA%3Pt
FG
3Pt
FGA
%FTFTA%Total
Rebs
Asst.St.BSFTOTotal
1984-85244024611838.98---313881.587214643329123
1985-86334866210857.41---355267.3181231073937159
1986-872994310919755.33010467958.23216381667051264
1987-8830459368542.35010162955.17952061292688
Total116229025350849.802012819864.65464953818171143634

The guy played 4 years and scored a total of 634 points. He scored 88 total points his senior year. His averages in his senior year were 2.9 ppg and 3 rpg. His senior year! I can’t say I remember much about the guy, but that’s not great. It’s downright terrible for a guy in his senior year.

Antoine Barbour anyone?

Was supposed to be an absolute stud, best juco player in the country and was very disappointing.
I was about to say the same thing. Played with Tony Allen at Wabash and was the more highly regarded prospect. Had an okay Maui Invitational, broke his hand in practice, lost his starting spot to Erik Daniels, team went on a magical run and he never regained his confidence.

Richard Madison was GREAT? Look, I was only 4-8 years old when he was at Kentucky and really only start having my first memories of Kentucky basketball around his last 2 years. I was 7-8 years old. What I remember (and have heard from so many people that are a little older than me) is that he was a HUGE disappointment considering his potential and the hype he had coming in. McDonalds and Parade All-American out of high school. Here are his 4 years.
1984-85[/TD]
[TD]24[/TD]
[TD]402[/TD]
[TD]46[/TD]
[TD]118[/TD]
[TD]38.98[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]31[/TD]
[TD]38[/TD]
[TD]81.58[/TD]
[TD]72[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]33[/TD]
[TD]29[/TD]
[TD]123[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1985-86[/TD]
[TD]33[/TD]
[TD]486[/TD]
[TD]62[/TD]
[TD]108[/TD]
[TD]57.41[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]35[/TD]
[TD]52[/TD]
[TD]67.31[/TD]
[TD]81[/TD]
[TD]23[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]39[/TD]
[TD]37[/TD]
[TD]159[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1986-87[/TD]
[TD]29[/TD]
[TD]943[/TD]
[TD]109[/TD]
[TD]197[/TD]
[TD]55.33[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]46[/TD]
[TD]79[/TD]
[TD]58.23[/TD]
[TD]216[/TD]
[TD]38[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]70[/TD]
[TD]51[/TD]
[TD]264[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1987-88[/TD]
[TD]30[/TD]
[TD]459[/TD]
[TD]36[/TD]
[TD]85[/TD]
[TD]42.35[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]29[/TD]
[TD]55.17[/TD]
[TD]95[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]29[/TD]
[TD]26[/TD]
[TD]88[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Total[/TD]
[TD]116[/TD]
[TD]2290[/TD]
[TD]253[/TD]
[TD]508[/TD]
[TD]49.8[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]128[/TD]
[TD]198[/TD]
[TD]64.65[/TD]
[TD]464[/TD]
[TD]95[/TD]
[TD]38[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]171[/TD]
[TD]143[/TD]
[TD]634[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
I don't understand what your expectations are, but those are solid numbers. Beyond that he was reliable, steady, a
The guy played 4 years and scored a total of 634 points. He scored 88 total points his senior year. His averages in his senior year were 2.9 ppg and 3 rpg. His senior year! I can’t say I remember much about the guy, but that’s not great. It’s downright terrible for a guy in his senior year.
Richard Madison was GREAT? Look, I was only 4-8 years old when he was at Kentucky and really only start having my first memories of Kentucky basketball around his last 2 years. I was 7-8 years old. What I remember (and have heard from so many people that are a little older than me) is that he was a HUGE disappointment considering his potential and the hype he had coming in. McDonalds and Parade All-American out of high school. Here are his 4 year stats:

Season2994310919755.33010467958.23216381667051264
1987-8830459368542.35010162955.17952061292688
Total116229025350849.802012819864.65464953818171143634
1986-87 [/TD]

I don't get your expectations. Those are solid numbers from a guy who was reliable, worked hard, played his role, led by example. You don't need to be the top scorer or stat leader to be great. His career didn't disappoint me one bit. Kids who don't show up frustrate me, not guys who work hard and stay 4 years.

I don't get your expectations. Those are solid numbers from a guy who was reliable, worked hard, played his role, led by example. You don't need to be the top scorer or stat leader to be great. His career didn't disappoint me one bit. Kids who don't show up frustrate me, not guys who work hard and stay 4 years.
Solid numbers? 2 ppg and 3 rpg for a senior that was a McDonald’s all American? You messing with me?

Reactions: cat tat2
I’m old enough to remember Madison. He was NOT a great player… period! Absolutely one of the biggest disappointments.
That’s what I’ve heard from literally everyone else older than me that really remembers him. Which is why I mentioned his name in the first place.

Anyone care to elaborate on Derek Hord, Richard Madison, or Rob Lock? All before my time.
Rob Lock averaged about 5 missed layups a game and spent half the game on the ground. Tried hard but couldn't jump over the Sunday paper. Prickett was the same way.

Easy… Enes Kanter

Dude never showed up to play in a game.

🤣

In all seriousness, it’s Richard Madison guys. Madison was an athletic freak but didn’t like to play hard. Rex has jokes about him
Often not wanting to practice and would go to great lengths to get out of pracitices. He had all the measurables though!

How showed flashes, but that was about it.

With all that said… I still miss Master Blaster… #42

Reactions: STL_Cat
Easy… Enes Kanter

Dude never showed up to play in a game.

🤣

In all seriousness, it’s Richard Madison guys. Madison was an athletic freak but didn’t like to play hard. Rex has jokes about him
Often not wanting to practice and would go to great lengths to get out of pracitices. He had all the measurables though!

How showed flashes, but that was about it.

With all that said… I still miss Master Blaster… #42
Sounds like he really led by example!

Lower number= most disappointing

10. Fredrick
9. Haggans
8. Wheeler
7.. Toppin
6. Goodwin
5. Sarrs
4. Labassiere
3. whitney
2. Boston
1. Clarke (for quitting and faking injury to get out of mess of a team)
I was going to ask if anyone mentioned Goodwin. Good call on that guy.

Briscoe. Easily

Really? It’s the toe on the line thing I bet. That was bad.

Most infuriating player to me by far has been wheeler. Just an absolutely annoying situation start to finish. The guy should have never had a Kentucky uniform on and Calipari convinced him he was Russell Westbrook. Then the spectacles of his wife wearing his jersey. The fake injuries. The fake surgeries. The lies, constant lies.

A short point guard that can literally only pass a ball and has horrid defense. All of this nonsense for that. Makes no sense.

Wheeler is definitely in my top 3 most disliked UK players of all time. And it was so damn cringe, and I hate the word cringe.

For me it was Archie Goodwin. That team wasn't very good but he would always try to play 1 on 5. If I had a dollar for every time he drove into the lane for want amounted to a 5 on 1 trap and force up a shot, I would be rich.

I loved his effort, but was he out of control! My parents called him the human bowling ball LOL.

Bobby Perry

I'm not even sure I can tell you why but he took a little bit of my soul every time I watched him play

Reactions: Gromcat
Heard that. However, he and every other UK player were scared to death to breathe on the guy and commit a foul. One of the most egregious officiated games of all time was that UK-duke game in 1992. If it were to happen in the .com era, things would’ve exploded.

I still can’t fathom how it’s the least talked about screw job I can recall. For a little perspective, Mashburn fouled out and literally only committed one foul, two at the very most. No way in hell we’re 3/4 of those fouls. They gave duke that game and that title.
Pelphrey should have been guarding the out of bounds guy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT