ADVERTISEMENT

Liam Campbell - Top 100 recruit, Idaho HS Player of the Year

I don't think kids rated that far down are scrubs if that is what you are implying. Was just trying to politely disagree on this forum without getting my head cut off by those who act like Kentucky will all of a sudden stop landing talented players just because classes from here on won't be littered with Burger Boys all in the Top 10.. If you read the rest of my posts in this thread, I clearly made the case for how there are still talented players in that range to build around for 3-4 years and listing Perry was one of them to further my point. Reeves coming out of HS was even lower than that. Don't paint me into the picture as one of them who thinks there aren't good players in that range because that is not what I meant at all. Your post would be better off telling the poster above who is the one that stated Top 100 players will take some getting used too.
I apologize I wasn't necessarily referring to you specifically. It was just a good post to comment that message on. Every year teams win titles with kids that were ranked anywhere from 50 to 350 and we are sent home with top 15 kids. Fundamentally sound players that don't rely on athleticism

Reactions: M4CAT
I apologize I wasn't necessarily referring to you specifically. It was just a good post to comment that message on. Every year teams win titles with kids that were ranked anywhere from 50 to 350 and we are sent home with top 15 kids. Fundamentally sound players that don't rely on athleticism
That's fair. I suppose sometimes we just have to jump in which your message makes the most sense at to further your point. I do agree with your sentiment about quality players in that range and think we're on the same page. UCONN is a prime example of a team without 5 stars winning back to back titles. Most portal players to supplement rosters aren't either except in cases like Bradshaw.

That's fair. I suppose sometimes we just have to jump in which your message makes the most sense at to further your point. I do agree with your sentiment about quality players in that range and think we're on the same page. UCONN is a prime example of a team without 5 stars winning back to back titles. Most portal players to supplement rosters aren't either except in cases like Bradshaw.
Our fans have just forgotten what it's like to see a player progress over 3 years. Players like Eric Daniels, Chuck Hayes, Cliff Hawkins.. were on the bench as freshmen but were all great by the time they left

You say “80th ranked kid” as a bad thing.

Go look at the rankings of guys in UConn’s last few classes.

You’re still in complete Calipari mode. Yes we want to go after top tier guys but you also go after guys like this.
Like this as in selfish, doesn't want to compete for playing time? We also had top 40 players like Jon Hood

Pope has zero national name recognition, so UK isn't getting any high school player of note & quite frankly there aren't very many unsigned players left anyway. They are also way behind in portal recruiting, so don't expect much quality depth from there. Where does that leave them? A looming disaster, I'd say.
Pope doesn’t have to have name recognition. The UK brand and our TV exposure gets his foot in most any front door. Then as with any coach, it is up to his personality to seal the deal. Yeah, and our NIL can’t hurt.
But in this falls class, yeah we’ll be lucky to get 1 since there may be only maybe 5-10 top 100 left.

Travis Perry has an #81 composite ranking on 24/7. Never know who might be a diamond in the rough that far down. We all wanted 3-4 year players. These are the kind of guys who stay. You're lucky to get a 5-star more than a year these days. Some kids are overrated and then others like SGA, Herro and Reed blew away people's expectations. Just never know sometimes and proves rankings aren't everything. Will have to trust Pope and the staff he puts in place to have a keen eye for talent.
Having 3-4 year players will help coaches determine if new players are overrated also since they will be more disciplined and seasoned and should be set in the system defensively as well as offensively. There is no substitute for experience.

Reactions: Kyhoward
Yeah, I think he would be a perfect fit for what we are trying to do here. And it would be cool to have an Idahoan on the roster for the first time.
Pope's run and gun offense goes 10 deep. Plenty of PT to go around. Over 40% from 3? Seems like a good fit for sure.

Pope has zero national name recognition, so UK isn't getting any high school player of note & quite frankly there aren't very many unsigned players left anyway. They are also way behind in portal recruiting, so don't expect much quality depth from there. Where does that leave them? A looming disaster, I'd say.
We have the Name, and strong NIL. Pope will be fine.
You're a looming disaster.

This kid kind of reminds me of the power forward recruit in "The Air Up There". He wanted assurance that he would break into the starting line up right off the bat , money, and a car. Said that the program will only be as good as the deal he gets.

No thanks.

Yeah, first year will be rough for sure, I think. Hopefully, he can talk Z and Theiro to return knowing that if they do, they would definitely be leaders and starters on this year's team.

So you’re telling me if Kansas offers a kid $250,000 and we offer him $500,000, you think he will pick Kansas because “Pope has zero National name recognition?” Just curious how far down this goofy thought experiment you are willing to go.

He doesn’t want a coach that will recruit transfer portal players at his position. His goal is to play professional, nothing team oriented. Sounds like a terrible fit. Arkansas is a better fit for him.
In his defense, he said that's his "long term goal", which is NOT typical of Cal guys - Cal guys are one-and-done, so pro ball is short-term for them. You get this kid to Pope's culture, Pope's mentorship - he could definitely be a really good player for the program - but granted, I've only seen highlights

Looks like Boise St and Colorado St might be likely destinations for him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT