• UK

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Duke

Votes: 70 89.7%

• Total voters

mkasten25

Junior
Mar 27, 2009
During the aftermath of the game, I wondered, would I trade places with Duke this year? Yes they have a final four and ACC reg season, but the loss to UNC at home, VT in the ACC title game, UNC in the final four. For the sake of the argument, lets assume UNC wins tomorrow.

UK (26-8, 1 GB SEC)
- wins over KU, UNC, UT big. Did not play most traditional rival (UL)
- biggest rivals (UT, UL) with poor March as well
- embarrassing loss to chippy upstart

Duke (32-7, 1st ACC)
- UK best win of season
- lost only other marquee game (OSU)
- 1-2 vs UNC including two crushing losses on biggest stage
- did not win ACC tourney
- BIGGEST RIVAL COULD WIN NATTY AFTER BEATING THEM

I'd love a final four but if getting one for us this year meant losing to UT and them going to the title, I don't know about that. Anyone else feel like this?

During the aftermath of the game, I wondered, would I trade places with Duke this year? Yes they have a final four and ACC reg season, but the loss to UNC at home, VT in the ACC title game, UNC in the final four. For the sake of the argument, lets assume UNC wins tomorrow.

UK (26-8, 1 GB SEC)

Duke (32-7, 1st ACC)
- UK best win of season

I'd love a final four but if getting one for us this year meant losing to UT and them going to the title, I don't know about that. Anyone else feel like this?
Calipari would pay $1 mil to get to a Final Four.

Could you imagine if Rupp lost to UofL in his last home game and then lost to UofL again in his last game ever in the F4? That's basically what happened to Duke. The rivalry is over for them. UNC will always have that card over Duke forever.

A final four would have changed perceptions around the program significantly

Yea Louisville only has 2 titles on the books
at the end of the day. I mean when it comes to pitino I measure him by 2 but on the books it’s not there. don’t deal with any Louisville fans anyway and Consistently competing for final fours and making it there means your program is on the doorstep. Maybe they win this year and we win the next two? Shit we almost sandwiched them with 12 and 14.

Gee, could you win more games and go to the final four or win less games and get upset by a 15 seed in the first round?

again how is this a question
Not cut and dry for me. Watching an NPOY do something that hadn't been done in forever was to me a much more enjoyable experience than losing to a bitter rival in the FF.

I'll still remember this season fondly and an early exit is less painful to me than losing again in the FF and especially if it had been to our equivalent of Duke/UNC in UofL.

Not cut and dry for me. Watching an NPOY do something that hadn't been done in forever was to me a much more enjoyable experience than losing to a bitter rival in the FF.

I'll still remember this season fondly and an early exit is less painful to me than losing again in the FF and especially if it had been to our equivalent of Duke/UNC in UofL.
I remember what Oscar did fondly, no doubt. But we’re asking if we’d trade seasons? How is it a question? Cal really does have some of y’all brainwashed that results don’t matter.

I remember what Oscar did fondly, no doubt. But we’re asking if we’d trade seasons? How is it a question? Cal really does have some of y’all brainwashed that results don’t matter.
How did you interpret that results don't matter from my statement?

It's just a preference that what we had is better than the pain of getting close again only to lose to your top rival.

Reactions: mkasten25
How did you interpret that results don't matter from my statement?

It's just a preference that what we had is better than the pain of getting close again only to lose to your top rival.
You’d rather lose embarrassingly in the 1st round than hang another final four banner, I think that’s weird. To each his own

You’d rather lose embarrassingly in the 1st round than hang another final four banner, I think that’s weird. To each his own
You just over simplified it.

I'd rather have a super enjoyable season watching an NPOY (only UKs 2nd) do something that hasn't been done in 40 years and lose in the first round to a 15 seed, than have Duke's season and lose an absolute heart breaker in the FF to your number 1 rival.

Watching Oscar was amazing, I wouldn't trade that to lose to a bitter rival in the FF on the back of a 75% FT shooter bricking two.

So you'd rather be Wake Forest in 1997 rather than Kentucky?

Wake had the NPOY and historic-level big man in Tim Duncan, whereas UK went to the Final Four.

Last edited:
Reactions: STL_Cat
Watching Oscar was amazing, I wouldn't trade that to lose to a bitter rival in the FF on the back of a 75% FT shooter bricking two.
What if it wasn’t “trade teams” but “trade seasons”....meaning you got to watch Oscar play 5 more games in the midst of a tournament run and bolster his single season total rebound and double double numbers cementing him in NCAA history

I'd rather have a super enjoyable season watching an NPOY (only UKs 2nd) do something that hasn't been done in 40 years and lose in the first round to a 15 seed, than have Duke's season and lose an absolute heart breaker in the FF to your number 1 rival.
But you're saying the same thing he said, only offering more detail.

You'd rather watch the NPOY lead UK to a first round loss in a heartbreaking, historically worst first round loss, than lose in a Final Four game to our rival.

That's the reality of your position. I'm taking the Final Four banner and the heartbreaking loss to a rival over the embarrassing (and perhaps even more heartbreaking) first round loss to a 15 seed.

You get it. They both suck. Just imagine we lose to UL in '12 and they take down Kansas. I cant even fathom.

For the record, I didn't vote. The obvious answer is you take the FF AS A PROGRAM. But as a fan, oh man.

Reactions: Lempface
You get it. They both suck. Just imagine we lose to UL in '12 and they take down Kansas. I cant even fathom.

For the record, I didn't vote. The obvious answer is you take the FF AS A PROGRAM. But as a fan, oh man.
But that isn't really the reality of the situation. The 2012 is a bad comparison because that team was a title favorite from the beginning of the season until the end. Just three weeks ago, folks were clamoring that Duke wasn't even worthy of a 3 seed.

Duke turned it around and made the Final Four after falling to pieces mid season, and after early season title chatter. That's a lot more like that 2014 or 2011 team.

I bet he'd reverse his answer if Duke had the season we just did, and Kentucky had Duke's.

That's how some of these things work.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I bet he'd reverse his answer if Duke had the season we just did, and Kentucky had Duke's.

That's how some of these things work.
This is a for fun question that you could slice so many different ways because the question was too open ended.

Some possibilities:

We trade teams with Duke including roster and up with the same record as they did and we lose to UofL or UT in the FF with no one in the NPOY conversation.

Pass, keep our current season.

We keep our roster and record but make it to the FF over UNC and then lose to UofL or UT, Oscar still is NPOY.

Easy. Swap the tournament results.

How is this even a question? Yes, losing in the FF is heartbreaking. But losing in the first round to a no name school is embarrassing. There’s plenty of UK FF teams, who didn’t win it all, who we all look fondly on. There were some bright spots this last season, but all anyone will remember is losing to a team called the Peacocks.

Give me a FF banner.

Reactions: VAWildcat15
How is this even a question? Yes, losing in the FF is heartbreaking. But losing in the first round to a no name school is embarrassing. There’s plenty of UK FF teams, who didn’t win it all, who we all look fondly on. There were some bright spots this last season, but all anyone will remember is losing to a team called the Peacocks.

Give me a FF banner.
Some of our fans are getting WILD with the rationalizations at this point. Crazy!

UK (26-8, 1 GB SEC)

Duke (32-7, 1st ACC)
- UK best win of season

WAT.jpg

I gotta say I’m always impressed when people like the OP are able to create an account and make a post with a poll on it. That must have been so hard for him.

Don’t forget to wear your helmet when you go outside buddy.

I would take Dukes season in a heartbeat. They made the final four while we lost to st peters.
Would you be cool with Louisville eliminating UK in the Final Four, while also giving the greatest UK coach ever a loss in his final game?

Bc that is what dook is experiencing.

Reactions: Lempface
Would you be cool with Louisville eliminating UK in the Final Four, while also giving the greatest UK coach ever a loss in his final game?

Bc that is what dook is experiencing.
We may have had the worst loss in program history because we were simply expected to beat an inferior opponent but Duke just suffered an unimaginably devasting loss from multiple vantage points. I'd hardly wish that type of misery on even a despised acquaintance.

Reactions: Kerwinwaltonsafro
Final 4 banner > no Final 4 banner

I’d rather have to deal with losing to my rival in the Final 4 than have to deal with losing to St. F’ing Peter’s in the first round.

Seriously? Come on. You always take a FF.

Losing in the 1st round is like making it to the prom but breaking up before the 1st song is over.

i can’t think of what strange world I would choose to lose to St. Peter’s versus going to the final four.

Reactions: JoeSwag
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT