ADVERTISEMENT

Overrated Tennessee

i had to laugh too.....he said lsu and kentucky had proven they were the two best teams in the league and neither have played tennessee yet
Yeah, not sure how “proven” you can be with an SEC slate that doesn’t include the teams you’re competing for the crown with (that goes to all 3 teams).

Reactions: VFL1970
Tennessee is a legitimate top 5 team. They're 3rd in adjusted offense per kenpom, and they shoot 51% from the field, one of the top 3 in D1.

Can't disagree with that.

However, according to KenPom, UT's SOS is rated 54th. UK's is rated 32nd.

UT has the 3rd best adjusted offense, but here's the problem, their adjusted Defense is 40th. That's not good and you won't find any title teams with a defensive rating anywhere near that low.

UK has an adjusted Offensive rating of 17th and their defensive rating is 8th.

https://kenpom.com

In my opinion, the only reason UT is ranked ahead of UK is because they have 2 fewer losses. The efficiency and SOS numbers say otherwise.
Wins and losses is what decides rankings.

I'm outta here . No need for internet fighting with trash on our own board
But you’ve added such well thought out and through content to the discussion. Whatever will we do in your absence?

I actually like when opposing fans can have fun conversations about our teams, and then get to watch it play out on the floor.

So the more you lose, the better you get?
Coaches have always said that you gain more from a loss than you do a win.

I thought everyone knew this.

I know what you're going to say and the answer is no, losing in the NCAAT is not good for the progression of the team. That's different.

Wins and losses is what decides rankings.
Oh really? So explain how Duke has moved up in the rankings after a loss? It's happened twice.

Explain how Michigan State is still in the top 10 after a 3 game losing streak? One loss was at home to Indiana, another on the road to an 8-15 Illinois team.

Meanwhile, UK fell 5 spots after losing in MSG to Seton Hall and 7 spots after losing on the road to Alabama.

It has to be more than just wins and losses. Nobody plays identical schedules.

Look at Gonzaga, they play a bunch of high school teams, meanwhile, look at the competition ACC, SEC and BIG10 teams have to play. Yet Gonzaga still sits at the top of the rankings and is lined up to be a 1 seed even though they went 1-2 against the only 3 ranked teams they faced.

Last edited:
i had to laugh too.....he said lsu and kentucky had proven they were the two best teams in the league and neither have played tennessee yet
He acts like Tenn came out of nowhere. They were good last year and have pretty much the same team except for they are more experienced so I would definitely say they are proven .

If anyone is asked about the good teams in the SEC Tennessee and Kentucky will be the two that is mentioned first .

Oh really? So explain how Duke has moved up in the rankings after a loss? It's happened twice.

Explain how Michigan State is still in the top 10 after a 3 game losing streak? One loss was at home to Indiana, another on the road to an 8-15 Illinois team.

Meanwhile, UK fell 5 spots after losing in MSG to Seton Hall and 7 spots after losing on the road to Alabama.

It has to be more than just wins and losses. Nobody plays identical schedules.

Look at Gonzaga, they play a bunch of high school teams, meanwhile, look at the competition ACC, SEC and BIG10 teams have to play. Yet Gonzaga still sits at the top of the rankings and is lined up to be a 1 seed even though they went 1-2 against the only 3 ranked teams they faced.
Who should UK be ranked ahead of that they’re currently behind?

Who should UK be ranked ahead of that they’re currently behind?
This week? Nobody.

But what does that have to do with what I'm discussing with VFL?

He said "wins and losses is what decides rankings". I disagreed and gave good examples.

Also, let's look at Nevada. They have 1 loss. UK has 3, UNC has 4. Why are UK and UNC ranked higher than Nevada?

I mean, Nevada only has one loss, they should be ranked #1 or #2 right?

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
@shaudyshaud and @akavff

You guys know @caneintally was just having fun with the Vol fans on here right? That's not typically his style, but I thought it was pretty obvious.

Don't get too excited about it.

He’s one of the biggest Homers on this board so I figured he was serious .

He still might have been serious. I’m not excited by the way just responding to a post
Yeah I agree, he is a bit of a homer, but he's not a goober like a couple of the professional homers we have on here. Cane actually has some intelligence and a personality.

He was definitely giving it to the Vol fans that are literally our board today.

Yeah I agree, he is a bit of a homer, but he's not a goober like a couple of the professional homers we have on here. Cane actually has some intelligence and a personality.

He was definitely giving it to the Vol fans that are literally our board today.
Alright well if I might have been wrong . My apologies .

It was neutral. And in that respect it will help your resume a bit more. I’m just saying you can’t count that as a top 25 win for UK but not for UT.

This is where you are wrong. Momentum is extremely important in teams sports (see the NFL. Teams win/lose at beginning of the season that they should/shouldn’t win/lose based on psyche). It absolutely matters playing a team when they’re ranked/believe/have momentum versus unranked/lack confidence/struggling.

This week? Nobody.

But what does that have to do with what I'm discussing with VFL?

He said "wins and losses is what decides rankings". I disagreed and gave good examples.

Also, let's look at Nevada. They have 1 loss. UK has 3, UNC has 4. Why are UK and UNC ranked higher than Nevada?

I mean, Nevada only has one loss, they should be ranked #1 or #2 right?
Wins and losses matter. The quality of wins matters. The quality of losses matters.

Nevada is ranked about where they should be based on their quality of wins, and quality of losses.

I know you were countering someone else’s position, and don’t think Nevada should be ranked highly.

This is where you are wrong. Momentum is extremely important in teams sports (see the NFL. Teams win/lose at beginning of the season that they should/shouldn’t win/lose based on psyche). It absolutely matters playing a team when they’re ranked/believe/have momentum versus unranked/lack confidence/struggling.
What if the lack of ranking was based solely on the incorrect perception of them heading into the season?

Wins and losses matter. The quality of wins matters. The quality of losses matters.

Nevada is ranked about where they should be based on their quality of wins, and quality of losses.

I know you were countering someone else’s position, and don’t think Nevada should be ranked highly.
You just proved my point. Quality of wins. That's exactly what I'm talking about. That's the metrics part of it. It's not just about wins and losses. Strength of record and efficiency numbers play a huge role in where teams are ranked.

UK and UNC*** leapfrogged Nevada. Why? Metrics.

You just proved my point. Quality of wins. That's exactly what I'm talking about. That's the metrics part of it. It's not just about wins and losses. Strength of record and efficiency numbers play a huge role in where teams are ranked.

UK and UNC*** leapfrogged Nevada. Why? Metrics.
I’m not disagreeing with you.

Though in reality the reason they jumped Nevada is because the voters simply think they’re better than Nevada.

Human polls are 45% your resume, 45% eye test, and 10% bias.

I’m not disagreeing with you.

Though in reality the reason they jumped Nevada is because the voters simply think they’re better than Nevada.

Human polls are 45% your resume, 45% eye test, and 10% bias.
The voters looked at the metrics and realized UK and UNC are beating better teams, have a much higher SOR and have better efficiency numbers.

Plus, like you said, they eye test. I just don't see it with Nevada. They're good, but if they get a 2 seed, whoever the 3 seed is got a huge break.

The voters looked at the metrics and realized UK and UNC are beating better teams, have a much higher SOR and have better efficiency numbers.

Plus, like you said, they eye test. I just don't see it with Nevada. They're good, but if they get a 2 seed, whoever the 3 seed is got a huge break.
I agree, though I think they were a 4 in TN’s bracket in the early committee seeding yesterday. They don’t really scare me, but I was surprised to see them so low.

Was looking at SEC standings on espn.com and noticed that Tennessee has played a whopping TWO ranked teams ALL SEASON in which they are 1-1 in both polls. Kentucky is 4-1 and 5-1 respectively in playing ranked teams in the AP and Coaches polls. Yew-T is unproven, overconfident, and going to get punched in the mouth next Saturday night :)
Harlanhomeboy. Thanks, seeing a poster with that handle made my Sunday afternoon. Born and raised. Few understand the UK/UT rivalry like those of us from the SE tip of Kentucky. Don’t get me wrong I have family and friends there I love, but there is no team I want to see UK beat more than the Vols. Especially when they are ranked #1.

But they’ve had several close calls that with one bounce different they would’ve lost. Close games like that happen we just happened to lose both of them. @Vandy, at home versus Alabama, Tennessee could’ve easily dropped both. With only Good Wins against Gonzaga and Louisville both early in season.

What they haven’t done is play a ranked team or even a top 40 team in over 2 months. In that time frame we have beat team after team after team who are ranked. Home , Away it hasn’t mattered we’ve kept winning. Time will tell how they do against these teams over there next 9 games. I think they’ll go 6-3. They had an easy SEC schedule, you can’t deny that up to this point.
The difference is they won and we didn’t. That’s the main takeaway

So a team that UK barely beat once last season, returns all key players, beat Gonzaga, barely lost to a full strength KU team, beat UofL and killed a ton of teams is overrated?

I have thougth they could be the best team overall right now and maybe the most consistent. I would agree, that they have not been fully tested of late and I can see some arrogance in their play, but I sure hope our players don’t view them as anything but an extremely good team, with grown men that are also very experienced, with a solid coach!

oh god.
This is just as bad as the overrated conference threads.

UT is very good
Duke is very good
Virginia is very good.
Gonzaga is very good.
Michigan is very good.

We are very good

Tennessee is very good, but they have one factor to keep them from advancing far in the dance, Rick Barnes.
What is it about Barnes’ coaching that you think prevents him from advancing far in the tournament? Scouting? Scheming? Adjustments? Motivation? Luck?

oh god.
This is just as bad as the overrated conference threads.

UT is very good
Duke is very good
Virginia is very good.
Gonzaga is very good.
Michigan is very good.

We are very good
This is the truth. Any of these teams (and a few more if they got really hot) could win the Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT