ADVERTISEMENT

Overrated Tennessee

Was looking at SEC standings on espn.com and noticed that Tennessee has played a whopping TWO ranked teams ALL SEASON in which they are 1-1 in both polls. Kentucky is 4-1 and 5-1 respectively in playing ranked teams in the AP and Coaches polls. Yew-T is unproven, overconfident, and going to get punched in the mouth next Saturday night :)

If you think they’re not a top 5 team, you either haven’t watched them play, or you don’t know anything about basketball.

Yeah, and UK got bit twice. Youth got the best of them, but those losses taught them more lessons than if they won those games.
Probably true. I expect TN to drop a couple games before the tournament. My hope is likewise that we learn and grow from any losses.

If we somehow ran the table (highly unlikely), I’d be a little worried about being over confident going into the tourney.

Reactions: musrat59
Probably true. I expect TN to drop a couple games before the tournament. My hope is likewise that we learn and grow from any losses.

If we somehow ran the table (highly unlikely), I’d be a little worried about being over confident going into the tourney.
If UT runs the table, you shouldn't be worried, they will have been through some serious battles (UK possibly 3 times, @Auburn and @LSU) .

3 is possible. I don’t see any way we lose 4. I actually think UK and UT tie for the regular season at 16-2.
That would mean you would have to win one of these road games: UK, Auburn or LSU. That's going to be tough.

Just stop. They didn’t lose to Vanderbilt.

Every single team catches good breaks and bad breaks.

A lot of people think we caught a break with the no foul call on Keldon yesterday. I’ll still count it as a win.
There is zero comparison to the Keldon Johnson call and the Grant Williams flop. Zero Nada!! One was an obvious flop and the other was an obvious no call. To argue otherwise is ridiculous.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
That would mean you would have to win one of these road games: UK, Auburn or LSU. That's going to be tough.
Won’t be easy, but I give us a pretty good chance of winning at least one. Could win two. I’d rank our remaining schedule as:
1) at UK
2) at LSU
3) UK
4) at Auburn
5) Miss St
6) at Ole Miss
7) South Carolina
8) Vanderbilt

I predict 6-2, but wouldn’t be shcocked at 5-3

There is zero comparison to the Keldon Johnson call and the Grant Williams flop. Zero Nada!! One was an obvious flop and the other was an obvious no call. To argue otherwise is ridiculous.

we had the exact same call go against us toward the end of the alabama game with john fulkerson getting called for it

Reactions: VFL1970
Looks like you’re counting games based on where teams were ranked at the time. So Louisville counts as a ranked win for you, but not for us (since they weren’t ranked when we beat them, but were when you beat them (and are now)).

The better indication is where teams are ranked now. In which case you’re 3-1, and we’re 2-1.

I understand doing it the other way (and thus counting wins over Auburn, who stinks, and Mississippi St, who may wind up being a bubble team), since it makes you look better.

All this to say it doesn’t matter. Things will hash out on the floor soon enough.
When UT goes on the road and beats anyone worth a damn then they deserve credit. You try and downplay UK’s wins at Auburn and MSU but those wins alone far outweigh anything UT has done all season.

Reactions: harlanhomeboy
we had the exact same call go against us toward the end of the alabama game with john fulkerson getting called for it
You also had a pretty iffy travel call go in your favor at the end of that game.

I loathe anything about Tn , I don't like the entire sate ( ok Nashville is cool). but I went to the Gatlinburg area . Once . Would never go back to that . Anyway I hate to admit but they have caught lightning in a bottle , Grant W should have went pro , Admiral is like 26 , been there a decade or so , guard play is outstanding , tall long athletic forward is really good , I think if us or Tn doesn't beat Duke , no one will , and neither of us are the fav against them , But Tn offensive team stats are crazy good , they are the real deal this time around .

When UT goes on the road and beats anyone worth a damn then they deserve credit. You try and downplay UK’s wins at Auburn and MSU but those wins alone far outweigh anything UT has done all season.
You’re right. Wins at Auburn and Miss St “far outweigh” neutral court wins over Gonzaga and Louisville.

Everyone objective observer would agree.

This is spot on.

Tennessee is loaded.
Loaded, very experienced and have shown they can eek out close games. Not many outstanding college teams this year, but they are one of them.

You’re right. Wins at Auburn and Miss St “far outweigh” neutral court wins over Gonzaga and Louisville.

Actually, UK smoked UNC in Chicago right after they beat Gonzaga by quite a bit.

Then UK went into Louisville and pounded the cards in the dumb center. So yeah, UK's wins are more impressive IMO.

Reactions: skcatfan and ftp000

A neutral court win over Louisville you say!? Well, that changes everything. Shut up and go watch Bill Dance .

Reactions: CHAMPCAT11
Actually, UK smoked UNC in Chicago right after they beat Gonzaga by quite a bit.

Then UK went into Louisville and pounded the cards in the dumb center. So yeah, UK's wins are more impressive IMO.
Overall, UK does have a better collection of wins.

I was responding specifically to the poster saying your wins at Auburn and Miss St are better than any wins TN has all season.

You guys were downplaying the wins against Auburn and MSU. Those wins do far outweigh anything UT has done in conference. UK has a road win against that same UofL team to go along with wins against UNC and Kansas. Yes any objective observer would look at both teams resumes and agree UK’s is far better.

Overall, UK does have a better collection of wins.

I was responding specifically to the poster saying your wins at Auburn and Miss St are better than any wins TN has all season.
It's tough to know, because we really don't know how good Gonzaga is. They did beat Duke, but that was in a tournament where teams played a string of games in a short amount of time. Duke is not very deep.

Then Gonzaga lost the only other two tough games they played (UNC and UT}. But, they are easily better than Auburn and Miss state.

However, playing @ Auburn and @MSU might be tougher than playing Gonzaga on a neutral court. That atmosphere at Auburn was incredibly tough, they really wanted that win.

But I don't want to discredit UT's win over Gonzaga, that's a great win.

I'm interested to see how UT does when they go on the road at Auburn and LSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: skcatfan
PS ... Enjoy your football programs 2 decade long dumpster fire . 3rd sat in Oct brings me joy every year

You guys were downplaying the wins against Auburn and MSU. Those wins do far outweigh anything UT has done in conference. UK has a road win against that same UofL team to go along with wins against UNC and Kansas. Yes any objective observer would look at both teams resumes and agree UK’s is far better.
UK’s resume would be better, if resumes didn’t include losses. You have better wins. You have worse losses. Overall, our resume is currently better. Everyone who ranks teams for a living agrees.

PS ... Enjoy your football programs 2 decade long dumpster fire . 3rd sat in Oct brings me joy every year
I hope you get joy from the 3rd Sat in October, as you certainly don’t get it in the whatever Saturday in November Tennessee plays Kentucky.

UK’s resume would be better, if resumes didn’t include losses. You have better wins. You have worse losses. Overall, our resume is currently better. Everyone who ranks teams for a living agrees.
Can't disagree with that.

However, according to KenPom, UT's SOS is rated 54th. UK's is rated 32nd.

UT has the 3rd best adjusted offense, but here's the problem, their adjusted Defense is 40th. That's not good and you won't find any title teams with a defensive rating anywhere near that low.

UK has an adjusted Offensive rating of 17th and their defensive rating is 8th.

https://kenpom.com

In my opinion, the only reason UT is ranked ahead of UK is because they have 2 fewer losses. The efficiency and SOS numbers say otherwise.

When the conference season is played out then there should be no debate about who has the best resume. UT had the benefit of a weaker conference schedule for some reason even though they were expected to be a contender to win the league. If UT can go on the road and beat Auburn, LSU and or UK then they will have earned their high ranking. As of now I think they still have plenty to prove how good they actually are.

Note on that Tennessee/Vandy game:

That was one of the worst calls ever, especially after seeing it on a replay, but didn’t Vandy have like three more possessions and turned it over all three times? They still had chances

Can't disagree with that.

However, according to KenPom, UT's SOS is rated 54th. UK's is rated 32nd.

UT has the 3rd best adjusted offense, but here's the problem, their adjusted Defense is 40th. That's not good and you won't find any title teams with a defensive rating anywhere near that low.

UK has an adjusted Offensive rating of 17th and their defensive rating is 8th.

https://kenpom.com

In my opinion, the only reason UT is ranked ahead of UK is because they have 2 fewer losses. The efficiency and SOS numbers say otherwise.
This is all relevant for sure. I could counter that a think UT’s defensive efficiency numbers are partially the product of jumping out to large leads and then taking their foot off the gas (see our game vs Arkansas where we were up by 30 at half, and just didn’t play defense in the 2nd half). But your numbers are still concerning if you’re a UT fan. No doubt. We’ll need to play better defense to go deep in the tournament (specifically allowing way too many offensive rebounds to opponents).

Stats are just those though. Would you be surprised to hear that no team in the last 30 years has won a title with a 3 pt shooting percentage as bad as Duke’s currently is? Does that mean they can’t win it all? I think you’d agree it does not.

When the conference season is played out then there should be no debate about who has the best resume. UT had the benefit of a weaker conference schedule for some reason even though they were expected to be a contender to win the league. If UT can go on the road and beat Auburn, LSU and or UK then they will have earned their high ranking. As of now I think they still have plenty to prove how good they actually are.
I won’t disagree that the meat of our conference schedule is about to begin. We’ve earned where we’re at, but we’ll have to prove we deserve to stay there.

UT may not be #1 come Monday! I look for them to bump Duke to #1 drop UT to #2. Raise Gonzaga to #3 and drop Virginia to #4 Uk stays #5 Michigan #6

They have lost one game and it’s not to seton hall or Alabama. They are damn good. Let’s not kid ourselves

But they’ve had several close calls that with one bounce different they would’ve lost. Close games like that happen we just happened to lose both of them. @Vandy, at home versus Alabama, Tennessee could’ve easily dropped both. With only Good Wins against Gonzaga and Louisville both early in season.

What they haven’t done is play a ranked team or even a top 40 team in over 2 months. In that time frame we have beat team after team after team who are ranked. Home , Away it hasn’t mattered we’ve kept winning. Time will tell how they do against these teams over there next 9 games. I think they’ll go 6-3. They had an easy SEC schedule, you can’t deny that up to this point.

This is all relevant for sure. I could counter that a think UT’s defensive efficiency numbers are partially the product of jumping out to large leads and then taking their foot off the gas (see our game vs Arkansas where we were up by 30 at half, and just didn’t play defense in the 2nd half). But your numbers are still concerning if you’re a UT fan. No doubt. We’ll need to play better defense to go deep in the tournament (specifically allowing way too many offensive rebounds to opponents).

Stats are just those though. Would you be surprised to hear that no team in the last 30 years has won a title with a 3 pt shooting percentage as bad as Duke’s currently is? Does that mean they can’t win it all? I think you’d agree it does not.
UK has done the same exact thing. Jumped out to an 18 point lead yesterday, MSU got it down to one point twice.

Did the same thing at Auburn.

As far as Duke, we shall see. They scorched the nets yesterday. Hit 13 threes. They may not do that again, or they might just end up shooting lights out in their 6 NCAAT games. They certainly have the talent to pull it off.

But, they are just as capable of throwing a clunker in there against a team that can shoot lights out from 3 point range and get beat.

But they’ve had several close calls that with one bounce different they would’ve lost. Close games like that happen we just happened to lose both of them. @Vandy, at home versus Alabama, Tennessee could’ve easily dropped both. With only Good Wins against Gonzaga and Louisville both early in season.

What they haven’t done is play a ranked team or even a top 40 team in over 2 months. In that time frame we have beat team after team after team who are ranked. Home , Away it hasn’t mattered we’ve kept winning. Time will tell how they do against these teams over there next 9 games. I think they’ll go 6-3. They had an easy SEC schedule, you can’t deny that up to this point.

you are right.....we suck

ADVERTISEMENT