ADVERTISEMENT

The Mountain West Hacking the NET

KA4Prez

All-American
Dec 8, 2003
Columbus, OH
Talk about an decent league absolutely smashing the NET. They are about to get, maybe, SEVEN teams in the NCAA Tournament.

They have SIX teams in the top 38 of the NET. The same as the SEC. Their potential co-conference champion (UNLV, has to win this weekend) is 20-10 and ranked 77th in the NET.

90% of the QUAD 1 games played by all of these MWC teams are against each other.

If it's a mathematic formula, some uber-nerd will crack it.

That one crap conference did it several years back with RPI and they got 6-7 teams in and they all got beat early. Was really the death of VMI.

Maybe this is the death of NET

Kid Fury Reaction GIF

That one crap conference did it several years back with RPI and they got 6-7 teams in and they all got beat early. Was really the death of VMI.

Maybe this is the death of NET
To be fair the Big 10 has pretty much done that every year for 25 years in a row.

All these systems are stupid.

What's the point of a committe if they can't use the eye test some.

Seeding on all these systems and metrics is comical.

Talk about an decent league absolutely smashing the NET. They are about to get, maybe, SEVEN teams in the NCAA Tournament.

They have SIX teams in the top 38 of the NET. The same as the SEC. Their potential co-conference champion (UNLV, has to win this weekend) is 20-10 and ranked 77th in the NET.

90% of the QUAD 1 games played by all of these MWC teams are against each other.
I'd rather see Indiana State or Drake get in over a 10 loss Mountain west team.

New Mexico, Boise State, UNLV and Colorado State all most likely to be 10+ losses by selection Sunday. It's possible San Diego state also will have 10. I'd be shocked if they get 4-5 10 loss teams in. I think they'll only get 4-5 teams in max. Which is still too many I think.

All these systems are stupid.

What's the point of a committe if they can't use the eye test some.

Seeding on all these systems and metrics is comical.
It’s to reduce subjectivity and bias.

And it’s not really “ hacking it”, it is more scheduling to the focal points of the model.

I do though have some issues with the NET, that it weights the metrics too much, and it weights OPP SOS too much when 2 teams are not close in ranking. The last meaning beating a team 200 spots behind you should be no more impressive than if were 300 spots back.

Hey, they're playing good teams and winning some of them. Now they're going to get a 7 seed. Theyve hacked the system. No fair.

Everyone knows that teams should get in for finishing in the bottom half of a conference that has the best football programs.

I'd rather see Indiana State or Drake get in over a 10 loss Mountain west team.

New Mexico, Boise State, UNLV and Colorado State all most likely to be 10+ losses by selection Sunday. It's possible San Diego state also will have 10. I'd be shocked if they get 4-5 10 loss teams in. I think they'll only get 4-5 teams in max. Which is still too many I think.
Many brackets have SD St a 4 seed!

Then Brainfart needs to hire an uber-nerd to do the scheduling, because playing these 300-level directional schools isn’t doing us any favors. And with Cal’s propensity for blowing home games, we need all the help we can get in the seeding department.

Reactions: BigKari
Then Brainfart needs to hire an uber-nerd to do the scheduling, because playing these 300-level directional schools isn’t doing us any favors. And with Cal’s propensity for blowing home games, we need all the help we can get in the seeding department.
It doesn't take too much to know DO NOT schedule teams likely to be in the 300's as your cupcakes. Schedule teams likely to be in the 150-250 range as your cupcakes.

I think it’s a better league than PAC-12 this year, but 7 teams would be excessive. No problem with 5 though. SDSU returned 49% of their scoring from their Runner-up squad and they are currently in 5th and ranked 21st nationally.

It doesn't take too much to know DO NOT schedule teams likely to be in the 300's as your cupcakes. Schedule teams likely to be in the 150-250 range as your cupcakes.

This. It shouldn't be this hard for UK in that area.

And I get what you are saying about bias. With a team like UK it's tough to seed them because my eye test tells me they are dangerous but the overall resume does say 4 seed.

No 1 seed is gonna want UK as their 4.

This is what you get when you allow mathematicians, computers, and tv talking heads and executives to determine who gets in and who plays who and where.

90% of them know almost nothing about the game of basketball.

This is actually false. Iowa State beat up on teams in the 300s and was hovering around the Top 5 in the NET for a while because of it. It heavily weights margin of victory

Reactions: cathouse
Conferences figuring out how to beat the NET rankings reminds of Northeastern University in Boston figuring out how to game the US News College Rankings and climbing from 162 to 98 on the list in 10 years.

UNLV has a better quad 1 resume than Auburn. Auburn has 1 quad 1 win, UNLV has 4 or 5 I think. Auburn being a 4 seed is a joke, same with Alabama being a 3 or 4 seed

UNLV has a better quad 1 resume than Auburn. Auburn has 1 quad 1 win, UNLV has 4 or 5 I think. Auburn being a 4 seed is a joke, same with Alabama being a 3 or 4 seed
His point was the Mointain West teams Quad 1 wins are against each other not against true power 5 powerhouses but against inflated metric ranked Mountain West teams. This is the biggest flaw in the metrics. Big 10 and Big East do the same. 14 loss power 5 teams should never be Quad 1 wins and neither should 9-11 loss Mountain west teams.

Reactions: cathouse
His point was the Mointain West teams Quad 1 wins are against each other not against true power 5 powerhouses but against inflated metric ranked Mountain West teams. This is the biggest flaw in the metrics. Big 10 and Big East do the same. 14 loss power 5 teams should never be Quad 1 wins and neither should 9-11 loss Mountain west teams.
I agree the metrics are flawed but my point is Auburn has a weak resume and Alabama has lost to pretty much every good team they have played and are still high seeds

Hey, they're playing good teams and winning some of them. Now they're going to get a 7 seed. Theyve hacked the system. No fair.

Everyone knows that teams should get in for finishing in the bottom half of a conference that has the best football programs.
I'd like to see a .500 or better league record be a qualifier for an at large-bid.

Reactions: CatEye2010
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT