ADVERTISEMENT

OT Florida State gets reamed

If you changed Florida State to Kentucky you’d be pissed off. Even if Leary was hurt.

If FSU wanted to get in they shouldn’t have lost at home by 10 points. They shouldn’t have struggled with USF. They shouldn’t have struggled with Arkansas. They shouldn’t have struggled with Texas A&M. They shouldn’t have needed a miracle win to beat a 6-6 Auburn team. Oh wait, that was Alabama.

Bama is getting in on SEC bias and their name. You can say FSU didn’t look great without Travis, but Bama hasn’t looked good in a lot of their games either.
Who did they lose to?

13-0

1st Power 5 undefeated to not make the playoffs and will be the last as Playoffs move to 12 teams next season.

If FSU somehow beats Georgia in the Orange Bowl to finish 14-0 and either a 1 loss Texas or Bama wins the FF the committee will have some questions to answer.
One, I don't think FSU can come close to beating GA, but right now TX is playing like the best team in the nation. If TX wins it all, there will be no second guessing the selection. TX is the team that actually replaced FSU, not Bama. The SEC champ was getting in regardless of record. Bama will be a different team without SEC refs. It is not what their opponents get flaged for, it is what the SEC res will NOT call on Bama. Bama should have or easily could have had 10+ holding calls last night. Number 77 held on EVERY play.

Reactions: cathouse
Any of you pro FSU people going to bet on them vs UGA?
I don’t know if I’m “pro fsu”, but if the spread gets a little higher than I definitely will. The Georgia team this year specifically gets pushed around in the trenches at times, and that is part of FSU’s strong suit. I think Georgia wins by like 10 or 13.

They barely beat Louisville, who we beat in their own place and we finished middle of the pack SEC. They would not have been undefeated in the SEC.

My problem with the arguments that the playoff is about “picking the 4 best teams” separate from their record on the season is what are you basing that on if not a team’s record? Recruiting rankings? A gut feeling that a team is on a hot streak? Would you be comfortable putting a 2, 3, or 4 loss team in if they met those criteria? If not, why?

I get it that the way college football is set up, all the major conferences won’t be completely equal in a given year, but we might as well just drop the rest of the process and make the SEC Championship the national championship according to some of you. The SEC outside of two teams wasn’t even that strong this year, and you’re still arguing that those two teams deserve special treatment just for their conference affiliation.

Reactions: ukcatz12 and gojvc
My problem with the arguments that the playoff is about “picking the 4 best teams” separate from their record on the season is what are you basing that on if not a team’s record? Recruiting rankings? A gut feeling that a team is on a hot streak? Would you be comfortable putting a 2, 3, or 4 loss team in if they met those criteria? If not, why?

I get it that the way college football is set up, all the major conferences won’t be completely equal in a given year, but we might as well just drop the rest of the process and make the SEC Championship the national championship according to some of you. The SEC outside of two teams wasn’t even that strong this year, and you’re still arguing that those two teams deserve special treatment just for their conference affiliation.

What about the other conferences?

Do they have an ole miss and Missouri and lsu and UT to round out the top 6?

What about UK and a and m to round out top 8.?

Compare the damn conferences.

13-0

1st Power 5 undefeated to not make the playoffs and will be the last as Playoffs move to 12 teams next season.

If FSU somehow beats Georgia in the Orange Bowl to finish 14-0 and either a 1 loss Texas or Bama wins the FF the committee will have some questions to answer.
FWIW

Georgia is the 1st team to go into a Conference Championship ranked #1 and get knocked all the way out of the playoffs.

You typically don't go from 1 to 6 by losing your conference championship game to a team that winds up in the playoffs.

I think Georgia also has a pretty good gripe.

I don't think the SEC got special treatment. I think Alabama is legitamitely one of the best teams. I think it's largely the eye test and what have you done lately. Special treatment would have been putting Georgia in as well. Florida State deserves to be there. So does Bama. So do the other 3 teams that got in. I think the committee was looking for the easiest excuse to leave one out, and FSU gave them that.

Sure, we can't run the Madden rankings and prove "this is the 3rd and 4th best team." But I do think when you see Alabama beat Georgia in Georgia for the SEC championship--they're one of the 4 best teams. They're arguably the best team.

Some people feel like it should be based solely on record. I'm not saying that's wrong. Some people (committee included) feel that it should be based on who are the 4 best teams. I'm not saying that's wrong.

People act like it's lazy to say "Well FSU lost their quarterback." I actually think it's very much not lazy to say it's more nuanced than which team had zero losses. If Bama had 2 or more losses, that's one thing. In any other sport, you wouldn't say the team with 1 fewer loss is automatically the best team.

This is what happens when AD'S and universities sell their souls for media dollars

You chose to leave your fate in the hands of people where the only criteria for selection is measured in dollars.

You sir, Mr. AD, sucked that bait down like a pig eating slop. Enjoy the fruits of your own labors.

Georgia awaits you and their big mad, too.

The best 3 teams in the country are (in no order), UGA, Bama, and Texas. No doubt. For the 4th spot it would be between Wash and UM. I think I’d take Wash because UM cheated for half the season. This would make for an awesome playoff. Not that difficult if you want to determine the best team in college football

The best 3 teams in the country are (in no order), UGA, Bama, and Texas. No doubt. For the 4th spot it would be between Wash and UM. I think I’d take Wash because UM cheated for half the season. This would make for an awesome playoff. Not that difficult if you want to determine the best team in college football

Idk how u say Texas is better than Michigan and osu.

When UGA demolishes FSU, and they will because now they are pissed off, will you change your tune?
Just don't bet any money on that happening.

The last time Bama beat Georgia and knocked them out of the playoffs, Georgia didn't show up for their NY6 bowl game.

Got their rear ends beat by Texas.

Some people feel like it should be based solely on record.
I don’t think anyone is saying that. But if you’re going to put a one-loss team in over an undefeated team you should have overwhelming OBJECTIVE criteria that is based in the real results of actual football games. It shouldn’t be done on the basis of subjective opinions grounded in someone’s version of the eye test which come up wrong all the damn time.

Reactions: ukcatz12
I don’t think anyone is saying that. But if you’re going to put a one-loss team in over an undefeated team you should have overwhelming OBJECTIVE criteria that is based in the real results of actual football games. It shouldn’t be done on the basis of subjective opinions grounded in someone’s version of the eye test which come up wrong all the damn time.
Objective data below: I think if we're mad at anyone for getting in over FSU, it should be Texas. People are claiming Texas can't be out because they beat Alabama. But that asks you to ignore Texas's loss to Oklahoma. Anywhose, see the data below.

I stole this from someone on another board.

Per ESPN:

FPI:
  • Michigan 1
  • Alabama 5
  • Texas 7
  • FSU 11
  • Washington 13
SOS:
  • Alabama 5
  • Washington 11
  • Texas 13
  • Michigan 33
  • FSU 55
Top 25 FPI record
  • Washington - 5-0 - Oregon (4), Oregon (4), Oregon State (18), Arizona (22), Utah (25)
  • Alabama - 5-1 - wins: Georgia (6), LSU (9), Texas A&M (14), Ole Miss (15), Tennessee (17); losses: Texas (7)
  • Michigan - 2-0 - wins: Ohio State (2), Penn State (3)
  • FSU - 4-0 - wins: LSU (9), Clemson (19), Louisville (23), Miami (24)
  • Texas - 2-1 - wins: Alabama (5), Kansas State (12); losses: Oklahoma (8)

Objective data below: I think if we're mad at anyone for getting in over FSU, it should be Texas. People are claiming Texas can't be out because they beat Alabama. But that asks you to ignore Texas's loss to Oklahoma. Anywhose, see the data below.

I stole this from someone on another board.

Per ESPN:

FPI:
  • Michigan 1
  • Alabama 5
  • Texas 7
  • FSU 11
  • Washington 13
SOS:
  • Alabama 5
  • Washington 11
  • Texas 13
  • Michigan 33
  • FSU 55
Top 25 FPI record
  • Washington - 5-0 - Oregon (4), Oregon (4), Oregon State (18), Arizona (22), Utah (25)
  • Alabama - 5-1 - wins: Georgia (6), LSU (9), Texas A&M (14), Ole Miss (15), Tennessee (17); losses: Texas (7)
  • Michigan - 2-0 - wins: Ohio State (2), Penn State (3)
  • FSU - 4-0 - wins: LSU (9), Clemson (19), Louisville (23), Miami (24)
  • Texas - 2-1 - wins: Alabama (5), Kansas State (12); losses: Oklahoma (8)
That isn’t even close to what you should need to move a 12-1 team ahead of a 13-0 team. Hell, Florida State has a better record against the Top 25 than Alabama does.

Reactions: JBHolmesfan
That isn’t even close to what you should need to move a 12-1 team ahead of a 13-0 team. Hell, Florida State has a better record against the Top 25 than Alabama does.
Agree to disagree. I think Bama is a much better football team than FSU.

You asked for objective data. I gave it to you.
I'm not sure there's such a thing as "enough" to change your mind.

Change thread title to FSU will get reamed in the orange bowl. They would have got reamed against Michigan. ACC is a P5 in name only. UL was the runner up in the conference. 13-0 in a P5 conference doesn’t hold as much credibility will the P is for Powder.
Even if Auburn had beat Bama, the SEC champ>ACC Champ.

Reactions: Cats192
I know, you THINK that.
And the committee, who has the final say, agrees with him. They think Bama is better than FSU, also, and that is really all that matters. Regardless of what anybody else thinks. They had the final say.

Reactions: Cats192
Then what are we even doing here? Why even play the games if we can just throw out the results of the games and say "well these are the four teams that have looked the best". It's ridiculous we've gotten to the point where results on the field don't matter.
I don't think that ignores the results on the field. With a back-up quarterback, FSU is clearly not one of the best 4 teams. Someone has to evaluate who they think the top 4 teams are based on how they have look playing the games they have played. Schedules are relative and injuries to key players matter. I don't think any team should get a pass just because they went undefeated. You have to consider the schedule they played and with injuries, are they the same team we watched play all season.

I don't think that ignores the results on the field. With a back-up quarterback, FSU is clearly not one of the best 4 teams. Someone has to evaluate who they think the top 4 teams are based on how they have look playing the games they have played. Schedules are relative and injuries to key players matter. I don't think any team should get a pass just because they went undefeated. You have to consider the schedule they played and with injuries, are they the same team we watched play all season.
Florida State looked better with a backup QB against Florida and a 3rd stringer against UL than Alabama did with a healthy QB against Auburn. If this was Michigan State and not Alabama, they wouldn’t have gotten in with their resume and how they’ve played throughout the season.

Reactions: ukcatz12
Florida State looked better with a backup QB against Florida and a 3rd stringer against UL than Alabama did with a healthy QB against Auburn. If this was Michigan State and not Alabama, they wouldn’t have gotten in with their resume and how they’ve played throughout the season.
I'm not saying I agree with the four teams they selected. I'm saying FSU shouldn't have been included because they clearly aren't one of the four best teams. Saying another team shouldn't have been included doesn't argue for FSU being included.

They would not have gotten in with their resume? They lost 1st game of season to another playoff team. They won 12 games in a row against much better competition than FSU played. They beat the #1 team in the Country in the SEC Championship game. FSU beat a stiff in their Championship who was beat by a 6-5 team. You want to talk about the AU win, yes it was a miracle but they won it. A 5-7 SEC team gave them all they wanted for 3.5 quarters. If GA. had won game then you would be saying they should have got in over Texas. The Committee got it right, they chose 4 best teams and bottom line FSU was not better than Georgia, Oregon or Ohio State.

I would’ve had FSU in over Texas if UGA won. Not putting in an undefeated conference champion because of an injury is crazy to me. There’s more to football than the QB.
FSU in the playoff would have lost to any of the teams by 21 points or more.

New Mexico State boat raced Auburn on its home field. Alabama needed a miracle to beat Auburn. See how that works?
It works because Alabama won. Lose that game and a one loss GA. team is in playoffs. Yes over FSU.

The SEC had a losing record in OOC games against P5 opponents including 4-6 against the ACC. Hell, Georgia’s second closest regular season game was against Georgia Tech. I know you believe there’s a massive gap between the SEC and the rest of college football. In 2023, the objective data does not support that conclusion.
How many games did FSU come from behind in 4th quarter against average or below teams. Teams have up and down games during year, just part of CFB.

Doesn't matter. If we don't care about results on the actual field why are we even doing this? We can predict all day long who will win what, but at the end of the day we need to give teams the chance to prove it on the field. There's just no way in the world ANY P5 undefeated conference champion should be left out.

FSU met every challenge they had this year. People said they wouldn't beat LSU and they did. They weren't supposed to win at Clemson and they did. They weren't supposed to beat Florida with a backup QB and they did. They weren't supposed to beat UL with a third string QB and they did. Their defense is elite and there's more to a football team besides a QB.

They would have had a month to prepare for a CFP game with their second string QB. There's just no way you can leave them out. They deserved a spot. This decision will further accelerate all this realignment BS. Any ACC team with national title aspirations is spending the entire day on the phone with their lawyer trying to get out of the Grant of Rights.
100 the truth anyone that doesn't see that are idiots

KY beat UL on it's home field. FSU couldn't pull away from UL. FSU just not good enough "at this point" in the season to be there. They have had a big change on that team nobody can ignore.
Try beating any team with your 3rd string qb that has been playing college for 8 months.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT