ADVERTISEMENT

One and done has ruined the purity of the game.

Keep all transfers and those that shouldn’t have went pro and we would be in a good spot....I don’t like the 1 and done either but there are other circumstances that helped put us in the spot we are today. We didn’t land any sure fire 1 and done kids this year-think Cal is changing strategy with this years class?

You're right; he is a fan and there is no bigger UK fan than him. I personally know him and went to HS with him and saw some of his teams play while he was coaching after HS. Anyone that says he's a troll, stupid or not a fan is just plain ignorant.
Not sure why when you are critical of a guy making 7 million a year to win titles people get so sensitive.

Keep all transfers and those that shouldn’t have went pro and we would be in a good spot....I don’t like the 1 and done either but there are other circumstances that helped put us in the spot we are today. We didn’t land any sure fire 1 and done kids this year-think Cal is changing strategy with this years class?
if you play the one and done thing year in and year out you better get 2-3 top 5 picks or you get this years team.
Missing on Bamba, Young, Sexton and Bagley really hurt. Can you imagine Bagley and Young on the same team.

Maybe it sucks for you and a couple people but for me and others it’s great, especially if you’re a big college basketball fan and not just a fan of one team. College basketball is more exciting ever since they stopped the straight from H.S to the pros

It sucks.

Sports in general is on the decline.

If we end up with a mostly new team next season, I’m going to really wonder about renewing my season tickets.

Changing out the meat of your rotation, and having to do the training wheels thing til late February every year just isn't a sustainable model.

Here and there when you get an AD or KAT type of player you'll be able to laugh and look like a genius, but other than that the OAD model isn't going to hold up long term. That's not just for UK and Cal but all the blue bloods who have capitalized thus far.

OAD doesn't really favor UK or blue blood types over time. If a kid is only looking to showcase for the pros and temporarily bunk somewhere for a few months, he's not so concerned about prestige, fan base, etc...he wants to get his clock and stats. All the legit NBA dudes know they're going pro whether they go to UK, Arizona, Texas, Oregon, Duke, Cal, Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU, etc...

Prior to OAD era UK did just fine because kids we're looking for a place to be for 3-4 years. So all the glitz, glam, and tradition means something. Nobody can pitch that, but Shaka Smart can pitch "You're only looking for somewhere to try out for the pros...do it here and be the main guy...you won't be the only name on the marquee at UK..."

people who mentioned the AAU thing are correct. I don't know if many people even know how these AAU circuits even work. kids will sometimes play 5 games in a day then go out and play 3 more the next day and so on. winning actual games really means little to nothing. lose, so what, on the to next one. caring about winning and learning to go all out for the sake of one game is no where near priority. kids pace themselves and move on and more worried about showcasing themselves rather than sacrificing for the team.

these AAU circuits and venues are nothing more than glorified talent shows. kids learn little to nothing about playing the game. it's why when they get the next level, college, it can be a shock. so many bad habits both physically and mentally to break. many of these kids carry the same attitude that has been burned in their brains about merely showcasing themselves for the next thing.

Reactions: TnRustyCAT
The only problem I have with the one and done model is, Cal being the judge of whether a kid comes back or not. I can name Lamb, Johnson, Briscoe and many more that were not ready to play at the NBA level. Yet they were pushed out the door only to mostly fail and are now in the D league or overseas. Most have never had much and go through a lot of cash with the signing bonus and in 4-5 years must work like the most of us have had to do. Am I 100% sure he does this ? No, but some say he does. Monk has struggled at times this year and sent down, I don't keep close tabs on it but I'm assured more are doing the same.

I know if we don't do it we will fall behind schools that are doing the one and done. This year has sent a shot across the bow, you struggle if you don't have upperclassmen or a couple of very AD talented recruits. Hopefully a couple will return, if not next year could be hard to watch.
I can’t say he pushes....I think he works all the GMs to take his kids. I know he thinks the draft is more important than winning a title. He has clearly stated that.

It sucks.

Sports in general is on the decline.

If we end up with a mostly new team next season, I’m going to really wonder about renewing my season tickets.

It’s gonna be interesting to see how everything turns out in the next few months. A lot of people are expecting that most guys on this team will return, but if we end up losing 4 or 5 guys, I really think a lot of the BBN interest will really decline for next season. I’ve been saying that people shouldn’t be surprised if a few guys leave who we aren’t expecting to, because it happens most every year with Calipari. It will be really bad if this team was to get knocked out in the 2nd round and then we lose 5 players, 3 of which we thought were sure to return.

OAD may just solve itself. Cal not getting the ones to make it work for now. A more balance team ahead (maybe not by choice)

If Duke doesn't make it work this year and next, look for changes,

No one else depends on 3/4 OADs at a time..most have problems making one at a time work.

How many OADs on Pur, Vil, & UVA combined..(UNC last year)

I posted in another thread that the '12 champs played FR 54% of total minutes,
The '15 38-1 team played Fr less than 1/3 of total mins..There's a message in
there somewhere. (Fr should have played more vs Wisc..at least 3 mins)

Last edited:
Pick a mid-major team and watch them play.

No doubt it's not the same talent as at UK or the SEC. But when two OVC or MVC teams match up, the talent level matches up and it can be a really entertaining game. And when a player messes up, you don't see the look of "how's this going to affect my draft status" instead you see remorse over how the bad play affected the entire team.

Ever hear of Robert Morris?

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Prior to OAD era UK did just fine because kids we're looking for a place to be for 3-4 years. So all the glitz, glam, and tradition means something. Nobody can pitch that, but Shaka Smart can pitch "You're only looking for somewhere to try out for the pros...do it here and be the main guy...you won't be the only name on the marquee at UK..."

Prior to the OAD we didn’t sniff a FF for over a decade. That’s not doing fine.

We went to 4 in 5 years with it and were a last second shot and a poor shooting night from being in 6 FFs in 8 years....

Things have changed and we must adjust but we were not remotely doing fine, let’s not rewrite history.

Reactions: catben
The only problem I have with the one and done model is, Cal being the judge of whether a kid comes back or not. I can name Lamb, Johnson, Briscoe and many more that were not ready to play at the NBA level. Yet they were pushed out the door only to mostly fail and are now in the D league or overseas. Most have never had much and go through a lot of cash with the signing bonus and in 4-5 years must work like the most of us have had to do. Am I 100% sure he does this ? No, but some say he does. Monk has struggled at times this year and sent down, I don't keep close tabs on it but I'm assured more are doing the same.

I know if we don't do it we will fall behind schools that are doing the one and done. This year has sent a shot across the bow, you struggle if you don't have upperclassmen or a couple of very AD talented recruits. Hopefully a couple will return, if not next year could be hard to watch.

The entire world knows the staff expected Lamb to return and Cal was very public in stating he advised Dakari to stay.

Pushed Briscoe out?

Monk received a high guaranteed contract.

The lack of knowledge on these instances takes away from whatever point you are trying to make.

OAD may just solve itself. Cal not getting the ones to make it work for now. A more balance team ahead (maybe not by choice)

If Duke doesn't make it work this year and next, look for changes,

No one else depends on 3/4 OADs at a time..most have problems making one at a time work.

How many OADs on Pur, Vil, & UVA combined..(UNC last year)

I posted in another thread that the '12 champs played FR 54% of total minutes,
The '15 38-1 team played Fr less than 1/3 of total mins..There's a message in
there somewhere. (Fr should have played more vs Wisc..at least 3 mins)

This theory has been shot all to hell.

Villanova won one title and sucked ass for 10 years previously in the tournament, no one would go for that.

UNC has a title and a runner up....so do we. But we also have more FFs in this time span and a huge lead on wins.

Purdue? UVA? C’mon man.

These comparisons are comical as Cal has destroyed all of these programs during his reign yet people want to use them as the standard????

And then after making the huge push for veterans you turn around and state freshmen should have played more in 2015?

Yea, I expected more than 1 Title by now. The final fours are nice, and for some schools that is a very big deal. But not at UK. And now, we are going to be on a bit of a Final four drought. Unless we shift into a totally different gear, it will be next year before we sniff our next final four, which will be four years since the last one in 2015.

Too much turnover. I agree with some of the other posters. All kids to go straight to the NBA, or stay 2-3 years in college.

This theory has been shot all to hell.

Villanova won one title and sucked ass for 10 years previously in the tournament, no one would go for that.

UNC has a title and a runner up....so do we. But we also have more FFs in this time span and a huge lead on wins.

Purdue? UVA? C’mon man.

These comparisons are comical as Cal has destroyed all of these programs during his reign yet people want to use them as the standard????

And then after making the huge push for veterans you turn around and state freshmen should have played more in 2015?

Brian, you're better than that, I was just saying the top 3 teams (currently ) use Fr sparingly.
You know that a great many felt that Cal should have use Ulis in the last 3 min of the Wis game.
No where did I condone or condemn the OAD, just stated it may be evolving itself out
of future play as a near total team and posted mins as back up info

Yea, I expected more than 1 Title by now. The final fours are nice, and for some schools that is a very big deal. But not at UK. And now, we are going to be on a bit of a Final four drought. Unless we shift into a totally different gear, it will be next year before we sniff our next final four, which will be four years since the last one in 2015.

Too much turnover. I agree with some of the other posters. All kids to go straight to the NBA, or stay 2-3 years in college.

We were 1 second from a FF last year... 1 second.

Lets go back to the early 2000's and the 10 year droughts....

Final Fours are nice... LOL

We sucked ass for 10 years prior to Cal - zero FFs
We sucked ass for 15 years from 79 to 92 - 1 FF

Only one 6 year period comes close to the Cal's tenure since 78, and to be honest it is the best since the early 50's along with 93 to 98.

Did you people actually watch UK prior to this season? You guys seem to think we succeeded every decade like the late 40's early 50's.... WE DIDN'T.

Reactions: BBUK
Brian, you're better than that, I was just saying the top 3 teams (currently ) use Fr sparingly.
You know that a great many felt that Cal should have use Ulis in the last 3 min of the Wis game.
No where did I condone or condemn the OAD, just stated it may be evolving itself out
of future play as a near total team and posted mins as back up info

Why are you picking and choosing these team just this year Poppy?

We are having a poor season and they their best season (UVA/Purdue) and these teams have never done anything in the tournament.

Let's see how they do in March.

But combined we have been better than these teams during Cal's reign.

Not saying we dont need to improve before we go off a cliff but I think much of the doom and gloom is because of Duke's recruiting.

The funny thing is, the ones bitching the most hate the OAD and so we get fringe OAD kids and 4 stars and now the future is gloomy for these same people....

Like with everything else today, the loudest voices on either side of this debate drown out everyone else. Those who hate it say it's killing college basketball. That isn't true at all. Those who love it act like anyone who ever says anything negative about it is, at best, a selfish fan, and, at worst, a troll and not really a UK fan at all. Again, not true at all.

The reality is it's not the "one and done" that creates the problems. UK has had only a handful of guys leave after one year that shouldn't have. Orton, Teague, Goodwin and Skal come immediately to mind. The problem comes from the culture of wanting to leave as soon as possible, rather than letting the process play itself out. It's like you are a failure if you stay more than two years. And yes, I think that culture is more prevalent at UK than any other program in the country, and yes, I think our coach has created that culture.

The Harrison twins, Dakari, Briscoe, Ullis, Lamb and Liggins are all guys who left early either to go undrafted or in the second round. Maybe I just pay more attention to UK, but I don't see that happening at the other top programs. That UNC team that won the national championship started five burger boys who were upperclassmen. That will NEVER happen at UK while Cal is here. It just won't. We've only had two make it to their junior year here that I can remember (Poythress and Lee), and as I said before, it's not because they've all been huge successes.

That's what causes the frustration, and rightfully so in my opinion. But that's much different than painting with a broad brush that the one-and-done is ruining college basketball.

My lack of knowledge of the NBA makes no difference, if you don't get my point then your the one lacking knowledge. If you don't like my opinion don't read it.

I am specifically talking about your lack of knowledge regarding UK players leaving and suggesting Cal pushed them out when every half way knowledgable fan knows the opposite occurred with the ones you chose to use as examples.

Have all the opinions you want but if they are factually wrong they are not opinions but more so false statements.

Like with everything else today, the loudest voices on either side of this debate drown out everyone else. Those who hate it say it's killing college basketball. That isn't true at all. Those who love it act like anyone who ever says anything negative about it is, at best, a selfish fan, and, at worst, a troll and not really a UK fan at all. Again, not true at all.

The reality is it's not the "one and done" that creates the problems. UK has had only a handful of guys leave after one year that shouldn't have. Orton, Teague, Goodwin and Skal come immediately to mind. The problem comes from the culture of wanting to leave as soon as possible, rather than letting the process play itself out. It's like you are a failure if you stay more than two years. And yes, I think that culture is more prevalent at UK than any other program in the country, and yes, I think our coach has created that culture.

The Harrison twins, Dakari, Briscoe, Ullis, Lamb and Liggins are all guys who left early either to go undrafted or in the second round. Maybe I just pay more attention to UK, but I don't see that happening at the other top programs. That UNC team that won the national championship started five burger boys who were upperclassmen. That will NEVER happen at UK while Cal is here. It just won't. We've only had two make it to their junior year here that I can remember (Poythress and Lee), and as I said before, it's not because they've all been huge successes.

That's what causes the frustration, and rightfully so in my opinion. But that's much different than painting with a broad brush that the one-and-done is ruining college basketball.

The kids that left early were all guaranteed contract players, no issue with those.

It's that second list you provided that has been the killer.

The OAD didnt do it but the UK OAD culture created an unintended consequence that you must leave as soon as possible to be succesful, these hurt.

Brian, I'm not picking or choosing, just pointing out that all teams at this time projected as 1 seeds are older teams. I agree that over a 8/10 year period that Cal, K, or Self may dominate total victories, the field (without many OADs) have dominated the titles.
I also stated that if K doesn't win a title or 2 this year or next, the OAD issue may fall out of vogue without rule changes.

Reactions: brianpoe

You’re exactly right! This is my issue with the whole thing as well. Why is it that our players seem so eager to get out of Lexington as soon as possible? I understand when the lottery picks like AD leave, but for some of the other guys like Teague, Lamb, Briscoe, Young, etc, when did playing in the D-League or playing in some European garbage dump like Romania become more appealing than staying another year at UK?

I don't like your opinion either, just ignore me and you won't have to read it smarta$$.

Mine is not an opinion, you just have no idea on what you are saying. You admitted you had no idea if you were correct or not.

I'm just telling you that you are not correct. Not sure how you have a differing opinion on something that is a fact...?

You’re exactly right! This is my issue with the whole thing as well. Why is it that our players seem so eager to get out of Lexington as soon as possible? I understand when the lottery picks like AD leave, but for some of the other guys like Teague, Lamb, Briscoe, Young, etc, when did playing in the D-League or playing in some European garbage dump like Romania become more appealing than staying another year at UK?

Definitley an unintended consequence of the UK culture.

But D-League doesnt matter when you get millions of dollars guaranteed.

Teague PAID, Young PAID, Orton PAID, Skal PAID and 99% of us would take the multi million dollar guarantee as well.

It's not that hard to understand.

Briscoe, Dakari, etc are a different matter however....

Definitley an unintended consequence of the UK culture.

But D-League doesnt matter when you get millions of dollars guaranteed.

Teague PAID, Young PAID, Orton PAID, Skal PAID and 99% of us would take the multi million dollar guarantee as well.

It's not that hard to understand.

Briscoe, Dakari, etc are a different matter however....

Sane post, I was beginning to wonder if today's game had driven you to over indulging.:D

Reactions: brianpoe
Sane post, I was beginning to wonder if today's game had driven you to over indulging.:D

This group is enough to drive anyone crazy... even though i was totally prepared for the uneven play, at least I thought so.

The only opinion I have is, I could care less what you think. Now fact check that.

So you make a statement that you admit may or may not be true. You are told it isnt true and you are upset... ok.

I wish they would end it soon. You have to sign them as long as it is legal. They need to go to college for 3 years or to NBA or G league. It has taken away fans getting to know and love players. Team basketball is gone. Too much me not team. Players not playing for School but for draft status. We got lucky with one group but had a couple of great returnees. Coaches have work on fundamentals instead of plays and strategy....I could go on and on.....just look at Duke today losing to a horrible St Johns team. Yes we made some final fours but didn’t close the deal due to youth. Am I off base?

The NBA / G league has ruined the college game.

It's mercurial like anything. When it works, people love it, when it doesn't people hate it.
No, it’s like a spam burger, I just don’t like it. You never feel they are part of the program, the family. They don’t feel that are part of something bigger than themselves
. Themselves are put first so why should they?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT