ADVERTISEMENT

One and done has ruined the purity of the game.

No, it’s like a spam burger, I just don’t like it. You never feel they are part of the program, the family. They don’t feel that are part of something bigger than themselves
. Themselves are put first so why should they?

How is it some fans NEVER see what our kids in the NBA say about UK or recognize when they come back?

You dont have to be somewhere for 4 years to feel a part of something.

it is funny that a fan has their opinion of whether a player feels a part of the family.. .WTH? Ask the players themselves.

I wish they would end it soon. You have to sign them as long as it is legal. They need to go to college for 3 years or to NBA or G league. It has taken away fans getting to know and love players. Team basketball is gone. Too much me not team. Players not playing for School but for draft status. We got lucky with one group but had a couple of great returnees. Coaches have work on fundamentals instead of plays and strategy....I could go on and on.....just look at Duke today losing to a horrible St Johns team. Yes we made some final fours but didn’t close the deal due to youth. Am I off base?
Yes we made some final fours but we didn’t close the deal? Lol! Let’s see, We have “closed the deal” exactly 4 times since 1958. So having all of those senior laden teams before Cal didn’t mean shit did they? I swear some of you people.....

Reactions: brianpoe
I don’t believe it’s the one and done per say, but just the number of guys who leave early in general (all across college basketball). I 100% understand why guys leave....whenever you can make money off your craft, I will never blame anyone.

College basketball is so watered down compared to where we were 25 years ago. I used to be a HUGE college basketball fan, but the lack of returning talent across the game has shifted my focus to being more of a college football fan. I can’t remember the last time I watched even half of a game (outside the NCAA tournament) that did not include Kentucky.

To show how watered down it is, let’s look at the HS class of 2014, who are seniors in college this year. Here are guys from that class that have been drafted:

Freshman year - 14
Sophomore year - 11
Junior year - 8

33 guys from that HS graduating class were drafted prior to their senior year. This does not count guys like Briscoe who leave early and go undeafted. It’s probably safe to say that 40ish guys from that class left early.

I don’t know how anyone can see that type of information and believe for one second that kids leaving early is not drastically killing the game of college basketball.

I 100% think the only fix is if guys can go straight out of high school to the NBA (or G League) and then a baseball rule (3 years until you’re eligible again). Will there be 20 or so guys that go straight out of high school? Absolutely. However, after a couple of years, the guys that were 20’s or 30’s in their HS class will be the new studs of college basketball and staying at least 3 years. Think of guys like Ulis and possibly Booker staying 3 years. Those type of guys (and there are others like them out there) as juniors would make college basketball a much better product imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT