ADVERTISEMENT

Trying for Lanier

I dont think we should he comparing sec power 5 guys efficiencies to little conference schools. I agree he would be an excellent get though.
Reeves and Knecht both came from those "little conference schools" you refer to. So,,,, What is your point ? Dalton Knecht was 3rd in player of the year in all of college basketball, SEC player of the year, Reeves wasn't far behind so your theory is shit. Oh and Mark Sears the 2nd / 3rd (depending on where you place him and Reeves) in the SEC came from Ohio U. The three best players in the SEC last year, not one went to a power 5 school.

Pretty good bucket getters so far Carr, Brea, Krissa, Chandler and Perry. Not bad bucket getters so far Olew and Butler. Then the two bigs are capable of some big games scoring. So if you got Robinson and don't won't to rely on the two young uns a lot, there would be four veteran bucket getters at the top and a couple at the next level down. Butler and Oweh defense will save us some points so add their consistency on defense to the points they actually score.

Not at all but some on here act like this is an amazing roster and I just honestly don't see it.
I agree this is not an "amazing" roster but it is very solid. As has been pointed out ad nasuem, we were loaded last year. If the San Diego State's of the world can be successful, I think this roster can as well. It's really going to come down to how Pope blends the talent. He has quite the challenge in front of him.

With the late start Pope really didn't have much of a chance to land the stud players. Hopefully the next offseason he can get it done.

Reactions: true blue1
Not at all but some on here act like this is an amazing roster and I just honestly don't see it.
We have a very solid roster so far
Whether or not they will be amazing remains to be seen. Chemistry and coaching are vital
We’ve had amazing rosters that have done next to nothing
But there’s hope for the future based on what we’ve seen so far. Enjoy the ride

We have a very solid roster so far
Whether or not they will be amazing remains to be seen. Chemistry and coaching are vital
We’ve had amazing rosters that have done next to nothing
But there’s hope for the future based on what we’ve seen so far. Enjoy the ride
Yeah, right now it is just very difficult to predict. Chandler is a good example. If we talk floor/ceiling, then his floor is a bench 5 minutes role but his ceiling is something like 13/5/2 pts, reb, asst with 42 percent from three. The team floor is rising however and I would think 15 wins is the floor now. Keeping with the thread, Lanier could raise that to 18 maybe. We are in uncharted territory. We have rebuilt before but not with this portal access.

We may not have the NIL left. But, and this is just a thought, maybe we do. We lost out on some guys because we didn't get into bidding wars. It's possible that Pope was holding some back so that we have the money to make a big splash at the end. Maybe.

Like you said, we definitely might not but then again we also might. Hard to say either way. I hope we do because I personally feel we need Jaxson Robinson and another elite guy, preferably a guard/wing.
If what Barnhart said was true, we should have $5 to 6 million in basketball NIL, at minimum. One donor alone pledged $4 million.

Do we really think the current roster is worth even half of that? Guys like Dillingham were only pulling $450,000 last year.

I bet we still have a few million left if we go by what Barnhart. said.

Overall I don't think so. But Edey was a beast. Uconn had the better overall team. We don't have an Edey but if these guys can learn to play together then we can be very good.
They had played together for 3 or 4 years under the same coach and system. If you don't think that matters I don't know what to tell you. Plus they had a unstoppable player down low that could get them points at any time.

Last edited:
Why do people think Lanier is miles better than Robinson? Robinson got 14.5 ppg in a far better conference and was good doing so. Lanier was good in a lower conference. I like Lanier, I’m just trying to figure out why people think he is miles better than Robinson

Reactions: 1STSergeant
Purdue made it to the final game. Was their players better than what we have now?
People need to stop this because you're going to expectations on Coach Pope in year one that is not realistic. Trying to compare what Pope has brought in so far to a Purdue team that was a number 1 seed two years in a row. Yes I know they got upset in the first round last year but they were good and deep.

Reactions: bookerfan66
They had played together 3 or 4 years under the same coach and system. If you don't think that matters I don't know what to tell you. Plus they had a unstoppable player down low that could get them points at any time.
Yeah, very true. We don't know just how strong our coaching will be either. Will it be OK, good, great or outstanding. That alone means several wins if it's on the higher side. I just starting comparing each player and talent wise we look pretty good. How long to jell and how good is the coaching part compared to others.

Why do people think Lanier is miles better than Robinson? Robinson got 14.5 ppg in a far better conference and was good doing so. Lanier was good in a lower conference. I like Lanier, I’m just trying to figure out why people think he is miles better than Robinson

People have absolutely no clue what in the world they’re talking about. 90% of people haven’t even seen any of the players play a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT