ADVERTISEMENT

Oh... The hate for Cal

Blueaz

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
Last night was my monthly poker league. Usually a nice group of guys that are just above the casual college baakerball fan. Of course I had my Uk hat, uk shirt and uk can cooler... All were asking about my thoughts on the team. I was trying to keep it modest. Making no bold predictions. And then one guy says "what's it like rooting for cheater (cal)". And then the floodgates opened and I was bombarded with a mob mentality of UK insults, is. players paid, cal cheats, blah, blah. I tried to defend and then I just went "yeah, you changed my mind I guess your right". Hoping that would drop it.... But one or two guys wouldn't let up. I almost left. I just bit my tongue and thought how sweet 40-0 will be.

Tell them to go f themselves until they can cough up one iota of evidence to support their jealous ideas. Keep playing. You stay calm and poke them at every opportunity. Poker and emotions don't get along.

Why would you hang out with Mentally Disturbed people like that?
This post was edited on 3/20 9:50 AM by Bluest Member

My response is always, give me one shred of evidence that Cal has cheated, and I will I'll cheer for another team.

I'm still wearing blue...

Haters going to hate, take their money and then tell them Cal taught you how to cheat.

Originally posted by BigBlueFanGA:
Tell them to go f themselves until they can cough up one iota of evidence to support their jealous ideas. Keep playing. You stay calm and poke them at every opportunity. Poker and emotions don't get along.
Exactly. It was a bad night. I M one of the better players in my league and I'm in the money, most nights. But they got under my skin. I was out early.

To be fair, a lot of the hate for Cal, he brought upon himself. Statements like "we don't just play college basketball, we ARE college basketball" make everyone think you're full of yourself. We are defensive of Cal because we're privy to his good side. We see all the visits to hospitals. All the good deeds. But I'll give you another person in sports who was hated but had a HUGE heart....George Steinbrenner. Easy target because of the ego. Perception that he wins because of an unfair advantage.

Your never going to change anyones mind about UK or Cal. If they hate us, 99% of the time its just irrational jealousy so no rational argument will work.

If they make you the villain, do like I do and just wear a cape and tweak your mustache. Play it up, enjoy the hate. Embrace the dark side of the force.

Did you lose? If so, you should accuse THEM of cheating! You have as much evidence of that as they do of Cal.

Who were they fans of?

cause if its UL, UNC, Duke, SYR, KAN..etc, etc...they all cant say shite

I've just started responding by telling the "cal cheats" crowd to put their money where their mouths are and bet me that UK doesn't vacate anything in the Cal era. Had a couple takers but it usually just shuts people up.

This post was edited on 3/20 11:36 AM by CatsBy90

Originally posted by gollumcat:

Who were they fans of?

Actually UNC fans are as bad or worse imo.

There are an awfully lot of people that are going to be ecstatic if our guys get beat, you can bet on that. I hope the boys can stand the pressure.

Originally posted by Smashcat:
Originally posted by gollumcat:

Who were they fans of?

Actually UNC fans are as bad or worse imo.
^ I can confirm this - all the mouth, will none of the hardware.

UC hasn't been relevant for over half a century...they run their mouth, then sliver back into their crack houses in Clifton.

2005 was an atom bomb for those fools.

Originally posted by jrm693:
There are an awfully lot of people that are going to be ecstatic if our guys get beat, you can bet on that. I hope the boys can stand the pressure.
Absolutely. On the flip side a 40-0 national championship would cause widespread profound butthurt for decades. LOL

ekgvtl.jpg

"I know I have plenty of enemies, but I'd rather be the most hated winning coach in the country than the most popular losing one."
-adolph rupp

Originally posted by Blueaz:
Last night was my monthly poker league. Usually a nice group of guys that are just above the casual college baakerball fan. Of course I had my Uk hat, uk shirt and uk can cooler... All were asking about my thoughts on the team. I was trying to keep it modest. Making no bold predictions. And then one guy says "what's it like rooting for cheater (cal)". And then the floodgates opened and I was bombarded with a mob mentality of UK insults, is. players paid, cal cheats, blah, blah. I tried to defend and then I just went "yeah, you changed my mind I guess your right". Hoping that would drop it.... But one or two guys wouldn't let up. I almost left. I just bit my tongue and thought how sweet 40-0 will be.
Your friends and your life, but me personally, life is too short to be around people that ill-informed and uneducated.

Originally posted by Blueaz:
Of course I had my Uk hat, uk shirt and uk can cooler...
They probably viewed the uk can cooler as an unnecessary provocation. Hat; okay...shirt; ummm, sure, why not?. Can cooler; this guy is rubbing it in.

That said, sounds like you need to pick better friends. I world is full of card players who aren't hair-trigger, oversensitive azz wipes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT