ADVERTISEMENT

After this season cal will be finished in lexington

I wish he would quit now. I'd just as soon finish the season out with one of the assistants. His shit has wore my Fandom out.
Will Ferrell Goodbye GIF by filmeditor

Nothing in his post said anything about him outside of coaching. WTF is wrong with you.
But it does.... "There’s a chance he’s back next year but it’s over for him. People being nice to him in public"

He’s gonna sit on and make sure the program can’t be brought back. Cal wants to be known as the last successful coach at UK he doesn’t want anyone to come in and upstage him.

I want Cal to go but this is absurd.
As much as Cal has underachieved recently, the NBA pedigree he’s built that rep Kentucky will pay major dividends for our future coach(es) in the same way UNC has ridden Jordan’s coattails for decades.

Where was it posted that Cal was considering leaving after last year? That guy lives for getting guys drafted.

Why would you want him to be an ambassador for UK? He doesn't care that much about our program. He should be an ambassador for players with NBA potential or something.

When he finally leaves, I want him as far away from the program as possible.
Precisely. The guy has no business being anywhere near the program at this point. He's an albatross.

Reactions: TFCats11
It's just not going to happen anytime soon:
Buyout after 2024 - $33.4M
Buyout after 2025 - $27.0M
Buyout after 2026 - $20.3M
Buyout after 2027 - $13.5M
Buyout after 2028 - $6.8M
lets say you get a coach for 5 million a year, thats about 4-5 million a year you save to go towards cal's buyout. lets say 5 years 25 million contract to a new guy.. that saves 21-22 million to go to cal's buyout over 5 years.... just need 10 million from boosters at that point or less if you can negotiate his buyout over 10 years then you can have money you save pay for all of it.

but I assure you guys, the only way we get a good coach is if barnhart makes a pledge to do what every other successful program does .... to help rally booster support etc etc etc and UK basketball would have to be the priority again.

Will a football first guy do that? Honestly, Barnhart is not that smart, i dont know how he failed his way up ...... no one makes the contract mistakes like he has over 16 years and can be considered intelligent enough to take on a AD of a blueblood (in either sport)

No one has ever lost such a major chunk of the fan base and booster support at a college program and at that same program come back to be really successful, no one... Is there a professional coach that has at the same team? Im not sure but i cant think of any.

I allowed myself to wonder if Cal could be the one with this team......and the way they played over the summer and to start the year looking so good and so promising but then nope...... the second I saw cal revert back to his ways as soon as Bradshaw came back.......and even more so with UGO .... nope.. its not going to happen.

time to cut ties......... I think we'd be better off with the FAU coach at 4 million a year.. use the 5-6 million over 4 years to paying for Cal's buyout and make sure its a buyout over 7-10 years. IF they have anything to hang over cals head that he wouldnt want getting out, you then have all the power to negotiate terms. I'd rather have someone a little more proven than the FAU coach but im just saying if it comes down to it and all the others say no.... then it wouldnt be such a horrible thing.. use the money from boosters to buying officials and players... and with that if Barnhart has this moral dilemna still, get him the hell out too...

I get you want cal to leave. That’s not that shocking. But you know we will need players right? Lol what a loony thing to say. I believe we have the number 2 ranked class. But by all means let’s get some worse players please. Lol

That’s all moot. IF he were to leave, absolutely zero of the recruits will still come so you would get your wish.
If the last 6 or 7 years have taught me anything, it's that there is sometimes a HUGE difference between better talent (which we have in spades) and better players (which we sorely lack).

Reactions: RunninRichie
whenever Cal leaves - at the end of this year or 5 years , the following year is going to be a rebuilding year - you just have to accept that.

A smart AD would be building an NIL warchest to raid the portal for the next coach so that he doesn't come into a situation where he has 3 players returning and 90% of the portal and recruits locked in somewhere else.

whenever Cal leaves - at the end of this year or 5 years , the following year is going to be a rebuilding year - you just have to accept that.

A smart AD would be building an NIL warchest to raid the portal for the next coach so that he doesn't come into a situation where he has 3 players returning and 90% of the portal and recruits locked in somewhere else.
Every year has been a rebuilding year since he's been here. There will be no difference.

Reactions: NociHTTP
lets say you get a coach for 5 million a year, thats about 4-5 million a year you save to go towards cal's buyout. lets say 5 years 25 million contract to a new guy.. that saves 21-22 million to go to cal's buyout over 5 years.... just need 10 million from boosters at that point or less if you can negotiate his buyout over 10 years then you can have money you save pay for all of it.

but I assure you guys, the only way we get a good coach is if barnhart makes a pledge to do what every other successful program does .... to help rally booster support etc etc etc and UK basketball would have to be the priority again.

Will a football first guy do that? Honestly, Barnhart is not that smart, i dont know how he failed his way up ...... no one makes the contract mistakes like he has over 16 years and can be considered intelligent enough to take on a AD of a blueblood (in either sport)
By 2028 this program will be in the trash heap

Reactions: NociHTTP
Every year has been a rebuilding year since he's been here. There will be no difference.
yea it has...I don't really understand why people are so worked about what we would get or not get in players given Cal has conditioned everyone to accept you will have a totally different group of players assembled randomly at the start of each season

there is no shortage of people who will scream from the mountaintops this is the best way to run a basketball program

I won’t attack the opinion because you are entitled to it. My opinion is that Cal and the program are grossly underperforming and I think Cal has lost the passion and energy to compete at the highest level of college and it’s probably in the interest of the program and Cal for this to be his last season.

I must take issue with the statement that the program is by far in the worst shape than it’s been in the last 100 years. You do realize that we are currently ranked in the top 10 don’t you? You do realize that betting lines have us as one of the shortest odds to win the NCAA Tourney? You do realize that most of the knowledgeable college basketball commentators put us in the mix of the 10 or so teams capable of winning the Tourney?

Beyond that, were you around for the last 24 months of Sutton’s tenure. How about the 2 years of the Gillespie regime. Ever heard of the point shaving allegations in the mid-1950 that essentially shut down the program for a year. These situations are by far the worst times for the program.

I won’t disagree with anyone that says the program is not currently performing at elite status it needs to be. It’s losing 2-3-4 games per year that it shouldn’t which affects seeding and then leads to underperformance or even bad performance in the Tourney. Reverse two losses this year, Texas AM (lost by 5 on the road) and the FL on Wednesday and we are probably ranked in the top 5 right now. My point is that saying things like the program is in the “worst shape in 100 years” makes the fan base look silly.
Yea and neither Bcg nor Sutton had several years of under performing. They were dealt with swiftly. Yes the worst season in the last century, followed by a first round out as a 2 seed, then the next season a second round out. The into this season we aren’t top 10 lol. We are going to drop like a stone tomorrow do you realize that? We are trending towards a 7 maybe 8 seed. Yep that’s Kentucky standard and I ask you to go and find a worse 4 year stretch for our program. You will have to go back severe rules violations and near death penalty to find anything close to it. Did you hear that? This stretch is worse than one where we were almost shut down. At least we emerged from that. This is going no where.

By 2028 this program will be in the trash heap
My thoughts for a long time is that he never liked UK. Remember what happened in the NCAA tournament? I think he wanted to see where his recruiting could take him at UK, and wanted to get the last laugh at the NBA, at UK's expense. When he's gone from here I don't expect him to step foot in the state again or even reminisce on his time here. His former players will mostly keep in touch with him and have nothing to do with UK

I'm pretty sure Cal doesn't care what anyone thinks or says. He has UK by the nutsack.
End of story. The only thing I could see changing
that is if Rupp is empty for games.

I hope Cal is gone after this season, BUT I also see Barnhart as part of the total problem. He's not been too forceful with Cal (at least that we can see). So what about another coach? I worry that he will hire another Billy G. He's been here a while, like Cal. He probably needs to go, too.

There was very little good will toward cal last season when he considered leaving. This season there is no good will at all. People who I know that have regularly talked to cal now they don’t care too. There’s a chance he’s back next year but it’s over for him. People being nice to him in public, people even giving a crap it’s over. He’s gonna sit on and make sure the program can’t be brought back. Cal wants to be known as the last successful coach at UK he doesn’t want anyone to come in and upstage him. But it doesn’t matter. Watch what we get the next year or two. No March experience cal doing what he wants while he’s paid what many of us won’t make in a lifetime. The time for reckoning with cal came and went. He’s a failure who has pulled our program in the abyss. It’s what it is. Over for UK basketball living to blue blood status for the foreseeable future and we are gonna just have to deal with the clown that ruined 100 years of tradition. For UK basketball yes the sky is falling. We are in far worst shape as a program than anytime the last 100 years give or take. It’s gonna take a total overhaul and a completely new system. Not to mention now when you turn uk into a turd of a program the last 5 years it will be difficult to find the right guy to fix it. The luster of the job cal has completely ruined it. We are a middling SEC program now after dominating the conference for the ages. Cal did that. And on top of all of it many are dumbfounded how Barney still has a job. That guy has dirt on someone that’s all that makes sense. Thanks cal!!!
Sister Act Reaction GIF

It's just not going to happen anytime soon:
Buyout after 2024 - $33.4M
Buyout after 2025 - $27.0M
Buyout after 2026 - $20.3M
Buyout after 2027 - $13.5M
Buyout after 2028 - $6.8M
These are before negotiating. If you don’t think UK doesn’t have leverage to roast Cal then you haven’t been watching. Best case scenario would be to remove him and give the new coach time to recruit and get set up.

I get you want cal to leave. That’s not that shocking. But you know we will need players right? Lol what a loony thing to say. I believe we have the number 2 ranked class. But by all means let’s get some worse players please. Lol

That’s all moot. IF he were to leave, absolutely zero of the recruits will still come so you would get your wish.

The only thing I like about you is that you have never said anything loony.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Yea and neither Bcg nor Sutton had several years of under performing. They were dealt with swiftly. Yes the worst season in the last century, followed by a first round out as a 2 seed, then the next season a second round out. The into this season we aren’t top 10 lol. We are going to drop like a stone tomorrow do you realize that? We are trending towards a 7 maybe 8 seed. Yep that’s Kentucky standard and I ask you to go and find a worse 4 year stretch for our program. You will have to go back severe rules violations and near death penalty to find anything close to it. Did you hear that? This stretch is worse than one where we were almost shut down. At least we emerged from that. This is going no where.
It was stated that this is
The statement was “the program is by far in the worst shape than it’s been in the last 100 years”. It is underperforming but it is not the worst shape in 100 years. Facts cited above show otherwise. Did you know Adolph Rupp made 1 Final Four in the last 14 years of his tenure? The point is the program right now is not where it should be performing. However, calling it the worst shape in 100 years is unfounded hyperbole.

Reactions: Zissou87
In 2028, Cal will step down, take the ambassador role, and announce that he has helped hire his replacement.

New Head Coach Brad Calipari
Director of Basketball Operations Erin Calipari
Rupp Arena has been renamed Calipari Arena
The Wildcat mascot has been replaced with his dogs

The future is bright!

I thought it was due to bad coaching? Shit I still want talented kids. Y’all are out here literally asking for Clyde recruits again lol.

I promise you one thing. Whoever the next coach is, it doesn’t matter. You let him stop getting 5 stars and this fanbase will shit a brick. You may say otherwise, but you’re lying to yourself. As long as duke and unc and Kansas get 5 stars the Kentucky fanbase will settle for nothing less.

Y’all are goofy acting like you don’t want talent
Facts!!!!!!!

Reactions: Rockfly78
Who do you not want in the 2024 class? Quantwince and fland are good. Perry can turn into something, somto is a nice piece. The only one with question marks is Richmond
I would sacrifice all of the recruits we have next year for Calipari to be gone.

Bring in an excited head coach and he can get the talent in here to be competitive. You rip the band-aid off.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Heck at this point I’d be fine with Todd Golden. Plays a style similar to Bruce Pearl without the annoying Pearl personality. Young and hungry to win. I’ve been a fan a long time, always will be but the direction we are currently in is not good to say the least

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT