ADVERTISEMENT

Did Welch call in sick last night…..

BlueWorldOrder74

All-American
Oct 9, 2015
Lexington
Just looked Ike offense pre-Welch last night. Terrible all around. Did Cal decide to run it solo for funsies?

I didn’t see anything that resembled a final four team on the floor. Guys looked slow, lethargic, unprepared.

No adjustments by Cal.

Weird substitution patterns; too many subs causing no flow.

What the hell was the game plan? Didn’t see one.

Why are we doubling? Why does Cal insist on leaving open three point shooters everywhere?

Why in Gods name did Edwards play so many minutes?

Why did RD go to the bench when he was the only shot maker playing?

Why did Wagner decide to forget how to pass the ball?

Seems maybe we should give up on under basket out of bounds plays, just give the opposing team two points and head the other way. We can’t stop it, so why doesn’t Cal just stop embarrassing himself on national television?

Does Cal enjoy giving newer head coaches wins over mighty Kentucky? Is he trying to increase coaching salaries while simultaneously getting his own players ready for the league at all costs?

Why does Cal keep rolling with the same tired excuses after stupid and unexplainable losses - playing grown men, environment was too tough, poor dominant habits we are trying to change, blah, blah, blah. It’s almost like he doesn’t understand that other coaches deal with the same shit?

Why did Cal decide to play a half court game? Is he trying to prove something? He failed……again. Again. Again.

Jesus, I could go on and on…….

Looks like round of 32 as best case scenario.

Last night summed up the last 3.5 years of UK basketball. Whenever we take a step forward, it’s an instant two steps backwards (about 4 or 5 last night).

The staff has completely changed, the players have completely changed, there’s only one constant in the equation. Pretty much everything you said is on Cal, and I expect him to double down now that he’s facing criticism.

Last night summed up the last 3.5 years of UK basketball. Whenever we take a step forward, it’s an instant two steps backwards (about 4 or 5 last night).

The staff has completely changed, the players have completely changed, there’s only one constant in the equation. Pretty much everything you said is on Cal, and I expect him to double down now that he’s facing criticism.
Always does. This is the part where he starts criticizing fans. He will double down hard and show us just how good he really is.

USC did a good job of creating deflections when we attempted to run offense at the beginning of the game. That combined with the incredibly physical defense with no fouls called for the first 12 minutes threw our guys off.

USC did a good job of creating deflections when we attempted to run offense at the beginning of the game. That combined with the incredibly physical defense with no fouls called for the first 12 minutes threw our guys off.
Everyone and their grandma knew how SC was going to play. Hell, Mike White even told Cal SC was the most physical team they’ve played all season. Yet, we looked completely clueless against it. I don’t know why Cal lets other teams dictate how the game will be played, same song and dance we’ve seen. My fault for getting my hopes up again.

Almost sounds like you are saying that when our opponent has a game plan and executes it we can’t really be expected to win the game? Yeah, they did what they wanted to do. It’s up to Cal to adjust. He either didn’t want to or didn’t know to, or didn’t know how to. Any which way, it’s a problem. No doubt there will be a physical team to face in March. Listen, when you coach Kentucky, and especially when you coach Kentucky and have so many future NBA players on the roster, you should be able to take a punch and fight back. Not wilt and whine about “grown men” and “environment.” But Cal keeps doing that.

I’m as upset about the loss as anyone, but I don’t draw any larger conclusions from it. It was a conference road game. They’re always spectacles for us. The officials did absolutely nothing to control the game, then USC got confident and hit shots once they realized they were in control and could continue to play that style.

It’s not complicated, but it’s also not transitive. I just hope our guys use it as a wake up call to actually commit to playing defense.

I’m as upset about the loss as anyone, but I don’t draw any larger conclusions from it. It was a conference road game. They’re always spectacles for us. The officials did absolutely nothing to control the game, then USC got confident and hit shots once they realized they were in control and could continue to play that style.

It’s not complicated, but it’s also not transitive. I just hope our guys use it as a wake up call to actually commit to playing defense.

This one was one of those games that we lose even if the calls didn't go against us.

But that still doesn't excuse the officiating. USC got every 50/50 call and we saw the first ever cylinder call where somehow it was our own players fault for getting elbowed in the face.

These calls alone wouldn't have affected the outcome.. but in a close game where we lose by 5? They absolutely would.

Let's try and keep in mind that UK can suck while the refs also rob us of 10 points. Both can be true.

This one was one of those games that we lose even if the calls didn't go against us.

But that still doesn't excuse the officiating. USC got every 50/50 call and we saw the first ever cylinder call where somehow it was our own players fault for getting elbowed in the face.

These calls alone wouldn't have affected the outcome.. but in a close game where we lose by 5? They absolutely would.

Let's try and keep in mind that UK can suck while the refs also rob us of 10 points. Both can be true.
It’s just sad that Cal allows teams to dictate the pace. We looked like the teams of the past 4 years last night. Nothing like we have all year, no transition, no passing, all one on one with long twos.

When they overplay the passing lanes, you drive and kick to the open man. We didn't do that.

When they get offensive rebounds, you focus on boxing out. We didn't do that.

When the tempo is slow, you press to speed up the game. We didn't do that (until 5 min left).

COACHING MALPRACTICE.

Just looked Ike offense pre-Welch last night. Terrible all around. Did Cal decide to run it solo for funsies?

I didn’t see anything that resembled a final four team on the floor. Guys looked slow, lethargic, unprepared.

No adjustments by Cal.

Why are we doubling? Why does Cal insist on leaving open three point shooters everywhere?

Seems maybe we should give up on under basket out of bounds plays, just give the opposing team two points and head the other way. We can’t stop it, so why doesn’t Cal just stop embarrassing himself on national television?

Does Cal enjoy giving newer head coaches wins over mighty Kentucky? Is he trying to increase coaching salaries while simultaneously getting his own players ready for the league at all costs?

Why does Cal keep rolling with the same tired excuses after stupid and unexplainable losses - playing grown men, environment was too tough, poor dominant habits we are trying to change, blah, blah, blah. It’s almost like he doesn’t understand that other coaches deal with the same shit?

Why did Cal decide to play a half court game? Is he trying to prove something? He failed……again. Again. Again.

Cal will not let his assistant coaches have any input during games. Have you not seen some shots of Cal giving his assistant coaches hell during games. Wouldn't you love to talk to one of his assistant coaches and see whats their take on Cals X&O coaching abilites and coaching philosophies and what is consensus of the assistants on how we should play.

I am sure Calipari and the coaches had scouted USCjr and knew they were physical and what they would most likely try to do. And probably planned for it. Sometimes the other teams game plan is better than ours. Or maybe our players just didn't/couldn't execute it.

It happens to all teams. We just mainly pay attention to UK.

Reactions: michaelwinn84

No adjustments by Cal.

I agree. This game was a complete reversal of everything that makes this great.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74

No adjustments by Cal.

Cal figured it’s time to do what he wants to and screw anyone telling him what to do…. You know like the bennies……..

Reactions: KFuqua
Sure interesting that our offense looked like the classic cal offense: have the pg waste time pounding the ball/running a weave till the clock hits about 8, then have a high ball screen followed by desperate contested shot.

Funny thing was rob brought us back all by himself by running that offense, because he's incredible. Then he sat down.

Whatever the reason was, hope it goes away. We will go as far as our new offense takes us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT