ADVERTISEMENT

If Cal leaves after this season…

bigbluedon

All-SEC
Oct 17, 2012
For whatever reason, there are plenty of good young up and coming coaches out there that would kill to coach UK. Gates at Missouri is impressive, the guy at Fla. Atlantic or whatever team it was that made the final 4 last year, and then the D2 coach at the school in Missouri is very intriguing. Interested in hearing some names from you all should this happen. And to you Cal lovers, please don’t participate here if you can’t just understand the title. It’s all speculative.

For whatever reason, there are plenty of good young up and coming coaches out there that would kill to coach UK. Gates at Missouri is impressive, the guy at Fla. Atlantic or whatever team it was that made the final 4 last year, and then the D2 coach at the school in Missouri is very intriguing. Interested in hearing some names from you all should this happen. And to you Cal lovers, please don’t participate here if you can’t just understand the title. It’s all speculative.
I can think of a few reasons, I pray he leaves and God allows me the time to get to see it.

I would be even more excited than when I found out he was leaving Memphis and coming to UK bringing Wall and Cousins.

He has smelt like fish for 5 years at least now, time to go.

Not one game but many years. When he is winning we look the other way until his ineptitude overcomes the talent. The team was just outmatched last night in physicality and desire and Cal looked lost as to how to overcome that AGAIN.

Whenever Cal leaves ... THEN, rebuilding this PROGRAM can begin.

He’s not going to leave and give up all that money.
This is the biggest reason he will stay. He is making a top salary without any way for UK to hold him accountable for not winning big.

His ego won’t allow him to walk away from that kind of money. But, his enormous ego may be tired of all of us “Benny’s” being EXACTLY RIGHT on our criticism of how he is doing things without the expected results.

This off-season will be telling if this team doesn’t make it to the SEC Championship AND at least the Elite 8.

Give me Bruce Pearl. Consistent, experienced and hungry.
Was listening to The Field of 68 live after Z’s first game the other night. While talking about UK and Z, they took a pause because Pearl was (I guess) scheduled to join them live. I know everyone says he’s a slime ball, but I’m not gonna lie, he comes off as genuine and down to earth on camera. Wish Cal was willing to go on podcasts like that to be honest

Was listening to The Field of 68 live after Z’s first game the other night. While talking about UK and Z, they took a pause because Pearl was (I guess) scheduled to join them live. I know everyone says he’s a slime ball, but I’m not gonna lie, he comes off as genuine and down to earth on camera. Wish Cal was willing to go on podcasts like that to be honest
I like him, too. My concern would be if he could handle the scrutiny that comes with being the UK coach. He’s done very well at football schools (Tenn and Auburn) but how would he handle being in the spotlight year long? BBN won’t care if you paint your chest for a football game.

• Sad
Reactions: UK19 and NociHTTP
This. I’ve never understood anyone who makes a “if he leaves” hypothetical. Why the hell would he willingly leave with his gravy train?
Because Cal is egotistical. Eventually his ego won't allow his legacy to take anymore tarnish. Even now, whenever Cal is mentioned, it ends with 'all that talent, and virtually nothing to show for it.'. These last few seasons, he's really been exposed as simply not effective anymore. The media finally started talking about it, and last season there were coaches flat out saying they didn't even need to game plan for Cal anymore. His ego can't take much more exposure.

I like him, too. My concern would be if he could handle the scrutiny that comes with being the UK coach. He’s done very well at football schools (Tenn and Auburn) but how would he handle being in the spotlight year long? BBN won’t care if you paint your chest for a football game.
That’s fair. Just seems like, from a coaching perspective, he’s doing a lot with good but not superior talent (outside of Jabari and Kessler a couple years ago). Makes you wonder how this team would be performing with him coaching

Reactions: NociHTTP
Because Cal is egotistical. Eventually his ego won't allow his legacy to take anymore tarnish. Even now, whenever Cal is mentioned, it ends with 'all that talent, and virtually nothing to show for it.'. These last few seasons, he's really been exposed as simply not effective anymore. The media finally started talking about it, and last season there were coaches flat out saying they didn't even need to game plan for Cal anymore. His ego can't take much more exposure.
I’m almost convinced Cal only sees his legacy as getting guys drafted. As long as that is happening, he’s going be happy and content with the results. This is a guy, when asked if he’d consider it to be a successful season if he won a title but no one got drafted; said he didn’t think so. Imagine any other coach saying that crap.

That’s fair. Just seems like, from a coaching perspective, he’s doing a lot with good but not superior talent (outside of Jabari and Kessler a couple years ago). Makes you wonder how this team would be performing with him coaching
He has done a tremendous job with Auburn. If push came to shove (UK misses on the top targets), I’d roll the dice on him at UK. Which is something I wouldn’t have said a few years ago.

This is honestly the perfect season to do it. I don't care what anyone says about next years class, it's a clear step behind this one. And if he can't get this team to a Final4, then he's just not gonna get it done again.

It would be a good time to tell next years class they can stay or leave with the new coach, I don't believe we are really losing any impact players. It's not like if Cal left LAST year and we missed out on Shep or Dilly.

The game has also changed drastically. These freshman now have to compete against 5th and 6th year players, and I think that starts to become just a very tough uphill battle, for a freshman to give elite productivity in just one year. I also don't think freshman NOW are as ready as they were back when John Wal and Cousins were freshman,

So I'd make a run at Hurley. Throw $12mil at him (who cares if it's 4mil or 12mil, honestly), and hope that Uconn comes up short this year. Because if they win, hes not leaving.

This. I’ve never understood anyone who makes a “if he leaves” hypothetical. Why the hell would he willingly leave with his gravy train?

And no one on here would leave either in the same situation at their job. If my job has something in my hire documents that says if they fire me I get like 5 years of severance pay I'm not leaving until they throw me out the doors and send me my severance pay.

This is honestly the perfect season to do it. I don't care what anyone says about next years class, it's a clear step behind this one. And if he can't get this team to a Final4, then he's just not gonna get it done again.

It would be a good time to tell next years class they can stay or leave with the new coach, I don't believe we are really losing any impact players. It's not like if Cal left LAST year and we missed out on Shep or Dilly.

The game has also changed drastically. These freshman now have to compete against 5th and 6th year players, and I think that starts to become just a very tough uphill battle, for a freshman to give elite productivity in just one year. I also don't think freshman NOW are as ready as they were back when John Wal and Cousins were freshman,

So I'd make a run at Hurley. Throw $12mil at him (who cares if it's 4mil or 12mil, honestly), and hope that Uconn comes up short this year. Because if they win, hes not leaving.
Neither Mitch or Eli have the balls to make that move.
Unless Cal volunteers to leave, he's not going anywhere.

If Cal fails to get this group to a FF, the heat in Lexington will be at an all time high. The support will be so damn low. It’s probably time for Mitch to grow a pair and bring in the big money boosters and Cal to come to an agreement to retire.

These threads are always funny. Two years ago the list of preferred replacements would have been filled with names like Musselman, Oats, and Holtmann. They never age well.
I'd still take Musselman today over Cal. Honestly, UK has resources Arkansas doesn't have so I think he would be in a better position to build a roster at UK compared to Arkansas. I would also take a look at Beard.

Frankly, Cal's time at UK needs to be over. The relationship has run its course. I've felt that way for several years now and even if he were to magically win a national title this year or even go to the Final Four, I would still want him to go. That wouldn't change my mind.

Not saying who I'd want, just thougts on who is out there.

Bruce Pearl. He'd kill it here imo, but he's no spring chicken but if we could get 7-8 years out of him I think he'd do great. But that said, he'd never be hired here. But I once thought that of Cal. BP has the exact personality that is need to thrive here. Energy. Passion. Recruiter.

Scott Drew. If Mitch is making the call, imo it's to Drew. Low key kind of guy to Mitch's liking.

I'm intrigued by Dusty May but have to use caution to go for the latest up and comer.

Tommy Lloyd. I don't know much about him but seems like he can recruit.

Donovan. No thank you.

IDK who else.

I'd still take Musselman today over Cal. Honestly, UK has resources Arkansas doesn't have so I think he would be in a better position to build a roster at UK compared to Arkansas. I would also take a look at Beard.

Frankly, Cal's time at UK needs to be over. The relationship has run its course. I've felt that way for several years now and even if he were to magically win a national title this year or even go to the Final Four, I would still want him to go. That wouldn't change my mind.
Don't let Arkansas resources fool you. They are well backed by JB Hunt, Tyson and Walmart. Why aren't they doing better? Poorly constructed roster imo.

Not saying who I'd want, just thougts on who is out there.

Bruce Pearl. He'd kill it here imo, but he's no spring chicken but if we could get 7-8 years out of him I think he'd do great. But that said, he'd never be hired here. But I once thought that of Cal. BP has the exact personality that is need to thrive here. Energy. Passion. Recruiter.

Scott Drew. If Mitch is making the call, imo it's to Drew. Low key kind of guy to Mitch's liking.

I'm intrigued by Dusty May but have to use caution to go for the latest up and comer.

Tommy Lloyd. I don't know much about him but seems like he can recruit.

Donovan. No thank you.

IDK who else.
I really like Lloyd. He is a great recruiter and can get the overseas players that have blown up over the past few years.

Drew may be satisfied because he already has a Championship, but if he wants to become a legend, UK is the place to do it. I have also heard the first call from Mitch would be him if Cal retires or leaves on his own.

Either of those 2 would be great, IMHO

Can't see Hurley leaving UConn. But he would be great here also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT