ADVERTISEMENT

If Cal leaves after this season…

I would take Hurley in a nano second. Everywhere he goes he wins. He just inked a contract with UCONN for around 5.2M a year through 2029. No idea how binding it is.

I have no idea if he would come here but I think he might. He doesn't like not getting the attention he feels he deserves at UCONN and he seems to be chasing his father's legend. The Hurleys consider themselves to be a "royal family" in basketball. No better place for a prince to become a king than UK.

you people are nuts.... one game and we go from we can win it all to get rid of the guy...
Who was saying we could win it all that has had a sudden change of heart? Nobody. Those that have cited the defense as a reason this season will be a disappointment have said that all along and have not changed their stance. It just gets louder after a loss.

If Barnhart is still here Scott Drew will be next Head Coach if he doesn’t take Louisville job before

Reactions: NociHTTP
I know Cal says his job is to help kids reach their goals, but I'm calling BS that he has said "it is not my job to win games." Show me where he said it and I'll change my mind.
You’re entitled, it’s not that crucial to me to look it up lol, I know what I read and honestly, I have no reason to lie. That’s stupid, so with all due respect, what you believe or don’t believe changes nothing for me. I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything, with that being said I’m 99% sure it was an article on here, I can remember when the board talked about it but I also can’t be sure so believe, don’t believe, that’s your choice. It is interesting that you ignore the rest, but I digress.

You’re entitled, it’s not that crucial to me to look it up lol, I know what I read and honestly, I have no reason to lie. That’s stupid, so with all due respect, what you believe or don’t believe changes nothing for me. I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything, with that being said I’m 99% sure it was an article on here, I can remember when the board talked about it but I also can’t be sure so believe, don’t believe, that’s your choice. It is interesting that you ignore the rest, but I digress.
Absolutely the problem. Someone says on here that they read it, and it immediately becomes fact. He never said it. If it "is not crucial" to you to look it up and support the bs you spew, quit spewing the bs. It happens on FaceBook, Twitter, everywhere. But reading someone else saying this happened, doesn't mean it really did. If any one can find a quote from Cal that says "it is not my job to win games" I will kiss their ass.

I don't think we should take a chance on anybody with no head coaching experience; we're a blueblood so we
shouldn't have to do that. I'd prefer a good young NBA coach newish in his first job that's had some success and tutored under an undeniable great coach. I think that's the best way to ensure you get a coach that's competent from and x/o standpoint. But he also has to have some charisma and the right personality to live in the fishbowl. There are probably a couple that meet my criteria but I don't know who they are. I'm assuming any already established among the top 4 or 5 and under 60 isn't going to be interested. I'd also take a star college coach if he was pretty young and had won big at a top conference school not famous for basketball.

He's a contrarian, and a Cal Parrotian.

Reactions: KYWC36
Only way I see Cal leaving after this year is if this season takes a major wrong turn and/or we fall flat of anything reasonably good (EE).

If he does I'd guess the first call is Scott Drew.

Just a fresh face really. Hope they turn out better than what we've had the past so many years.

If he did, then it would breathe life back into this fanbase. It really would. I would also appreciate him leaving on his own accord.

Best for all parties.

As Al McGuire said paraphrased:

Had it before you, have it with you, and will have it long after your gone.

UK would be totally fine… and probably win another title in the relatively near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbluedon
I would like someone hungry and is a fighter maybe not as seasoned as some of you want but shows knowledge and creative X & O's. Anyone at this point as I am tired a being an NBA training program. Someone to inspire a little loyalty and pride for the University onto the players and not rip up scholarships would be welcome.
Very well said, think I have thought this exactly but to see it on here is great

Absolutely the problem. Someone says on here that they read it, and it immediately becomes fact. He never said it. If it "is not crucial" to you to look it up and support the bs you spew, quit spewing the bs. It happens on FaceBook, Twitter, everywhere. But reading someone else saying this happened, doesn't mean it really did. If any one can find a quote from Cal that says "it is not my job to win games" I will kiss their ass.
LOL, you mad bro???? Seriously, it’s a sports topic board, chill TF out … ultimately no one cares what you or I or anyone else thinks. Find something that actually matters to get this passionate about. I know this may stun you, but it’s ok to disagree with someone, life will go on lol

LOL, you mad bro???? Seriously, it’s a sports topic board, chill TF out … ultimately no one cares what you or I or anyone else thinks. Find something that actually matters to get this passionate about. I know this may stun you, but it’s ok to disagree with someone, life will go on lol
Not mad, just calling out people that make stuff up.

Not mad, just calling out people that make stuff up.
Grow up …. lol, if I did make it up…. Do you think I care what you say lol…. However …. Here is your proof … as you will see he said national titles not games, but it’s the same thing shove this and go cry about your hero

Not saying who I'd want, just thougts on who is out there.

Bruce Pearl. He'd kill it here imo, but he's no spring chicken but if we could get 7-8 years out of him I think he'd do great. But that said, he'd never be hired here. But I once thought that of Cal. BP has the exact personality that is need to thrive here. Energy. Passion. Recruiter.

Scott Drew. If Mitch is making the call, imo it's to Drew. Low key kind of guy to Mitch's liking.

I'm intrigued by Dusty May but have to use caution to go for the latest up and comer.

Tommy Lloyd. I don't know much about him but seems like he can recruit.

Donovan. No thank you.

IDK who else.
I like Mark Pope. Championship pedigree, knows the Pitino style of play and understands the passion of U.K. basketball.
He's a smart guy and very competitive.
I think he could recruit and is a solid x's and O's coach.

Reactions: bigbluedon
I would consider Sampson. He’s a great defensive coach who does more with less.

Problem is Sampson is 68 years old. Coaches are going longer in their careers but he wouldn't be here long if he took the job. Due to the fact he was sanctioned by the NCAA once, Barnhart will mark him off the shortlist even though what Sampson did is now allowable. Indiana probably wishes they could hire him back, honestly.

Some of us would also be happy with Cal leaving but some of the consequences seem bad...
What consequences? I can't come up with a single one. Look at our record over the last 4-5 years, anybody can replicate that.

Problem is Sampson is 68 years old. Coaches are going longer in their careers but he wouldn't be here long if he took the job. Due to the fact he was sanctioned by the NCAA once, Barnhart will mark him off the shortlist even though what Sampson did is now allowable. Indiana probably wishes they could hire him back, honestly.
IU and their fandom are too dumb to want to hire Sampson back. Something about how he doesn’t “reflect the program“

Even more of a reason to hire him.

Sampson probably gives us 5-7 years max.

He leaves before we get sick of him.

Then we get bring in someone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT