ADVERTISEMENT

November Update- Happy Basketball Season!

Aug 23, 2016
Happy Basketball Season Kentucky Fans.

My season has started, and my communication with my basketball friends and colleagues will start to dry out, as we’re all focused on keeping our jobs and trying to grind our way through the season.

A little back story to this post: I basically gave up on poking around for information for you guys about a month ago. I got really busy and was on the road quite a bit. Also, I didn’t like a lot of the messages and comments I received in return for posting some tidbits here and there. Didn't think I needed that in my life.

To be honest, I just didn’t have the natural connections to this group of recruits as I did with current class of freshmen. Information is a lot harder to come by.

However, the early signing period is here, and rumors and talks are always hot during this period. I did stumble across some news and notes (mostly non-UK related, but some UK related) and I was able to make some calls and squeeze my way into something.

I’ve been hesitant to say much, because I’m sure they’ll be some backlash when some of this may end up being wrong in the long run, however this is the BEST information and “interpretation” of information that I can give you as of a few days ago.

Barrett- From what I am gathering this is a game of who get’s the last laugh. I think the family is really pushing Duke, the kid likes Oregon and Kentucky more, however he’s not in LOVE with UK or Oregon. IF he goes to DUKE, I want you all to know that there is a lot of people who were pushing UK. Coach Cal has a great relationship with the Canada Basketball, and the Murray family has had conversations with them about Coach Cal. The NBA guys tend to prefer UK over Duke in player development, however it just depends on which guys are in the ears of this camp. Coach Cal is polarizing.

Now, which brings me to the point that people thinks that this is a done deal for Duke. I don’t see that. Now, he may go to Duke, but I think it would be because “it was always going to be Duke” more so than Duke was where people were leading this family towards. Still, don’t count out Oregon. Lastly, the person who tells me a long time before on Duke guys (Jones, W. Carter, Trent) hasn’t bragged about Barrett yet, just like he didn’t brag beforehand about Knox. Full disclosure he didn’t brag about Bagley either. I’m still curious on how he can co-exist with Reddish and Jones (both are ball dominant).

Zion- The biggest thing you want to realize with Zion and his camp is that they’re ALL about the hype factor. This happens to be why I still can’t see him anywhere else but UK. He has a good connection with the staff, and of course Quickley. Now, he may very well be considering Clemson, South Carolina, whomever. However, those type of schools won’t give you the hype that a UK would.

Did you notice that when Kansas was eliminated, that he quickly replaced them with Duke and North Carolina? Hype. Now, I was under the impression that it was UK and one of the local schools for Zion (Probably Clemson) and UK will be the choice. In the mean time, why not take some visits to two of the other top programs in the nation? It would be a complete shock if he’s not a Cat soon. Perfect situation for all parties involved. If he waits until spring, then this recruitment will get very interesting and would be a big negative to UK.

K. Johnson- Should be a Cat. Outside shot with Maryland and Texas. This isn’t Quickley or Quade confidence, but this is shaping up to be done soon or his spot may be taken. Someone told me Texas has all but given up, but Maryland still thinks there is a shot. Oak Hill is a good place to have end-roads with. He’s not as a big name, but he’s a beast. I used to like Grimes better for UK, but Johnson has clearly jumped him.

Bol- See my post from a while ago. I just think it’s not a good fit with UK. High drama, high a lot of things. The intangibles aren’t there. I think Cal gave it another stab with bringing him in on a visit. Didn’t work.

Herro- Still don’t know much besides the fact, he reminds me of Devin Booker. With no extra knowledge, he seems like a guy that wants UK pretty badly. I would take his commitment if everything about him checks out.

Happy Friday. Good luck this season.

-Coach

Appreciate it, as always.

I think those Barrett and Zion tidbits are interesting, and you gave us the Bol stuff at a time when we thought he was probably a lock for us. You don't need to defend your information and your information doesn't need defending.

Good luck this season. Maybe we'll see you in Rupp soon.

Seriously, how do they get in the heads of these parents.
I can just see splinter and blubber bastard getting mr and mrs barrett into their office, closing the door, and with Zoolander playing in the background (mugatu brainwashing scene) they slowly over take the minds of mom and dad.
Those phony ass POS.
Yo Puke, eat a bag of dicks.

Happy Basketball Season Kentucky Fans.

My season has started, and my communication with my basketball friends and colleagues will start to dry out, as we’re all focused on keeping our jobs and trying to grind our way through the season.

A little back story to this post: I basically gave up on poking around for information for you guys about a month ago. I got really busy and was on the road quite a bit. Also, I didn’t like a lot of the messages and comments I received in return for posting some tidbits here and there. Didn't think I needed that in my life.

To be honest, I just didn’t have the natural connections to this group of recruits as I did with current class of freshmen. Information is a lot harder to come by.

However, the early signing period is here, and rumors and talks are always hot during this period. I did stumble across some news and notes (mostly non-UK related, but some UK related) and I was able to make some calls and squeeze my way into something.

I’ve been hesitant to say much, because I’m sure they’ll be some backlash when some of this may end up being wrong in the long run, however this is the BEST information and “interpretation” of information that I can give you as of a few days ago.

Barrett- From what I am gathering this is a game of who get’s the last laugh. I think the family is really pushing Duke, the kid likes Oregon and Kentucky more, however he’s not in LOVE with UK or Oregon. IF he goes to DUKE, I want you all to know that there is a lot of people who were pushing UK. Coach Cal has a great relationship with the Canada Basketball, and the Murray family has had conversations with them about Coach Cal. The NBA guys tend to prefer UK over Duke in player development, however it just depends on which guys are in the ears of this camp. Coach Cal is polarizing.

Now, which brings me to the point that people thinks that this is a done deal for Duke. I don’t see that. Now, he may go to Duke, but I think it would be because “it was always going to be Duke” more so than Duke was where people were leading this family towards. Still, don’t count out Oregon. Lastly, the person who tells me a long time before on Duke guys (Jones, W. Carter, Trent) hasn’t bragged about Barrett yet, just like he didn’t brag beforehand about Knox. Full disclosure he didn’t brag about Bagley either. I’m still curious on how he can co-exist with Reddish and Jones (both are ball dominant).

Zion- The biggest thing you want to realize with Zion and his camp is that they’re ALL about the hype factor. This happens to be why I still can’t see him anywhere else but UK. He has a good connection with the staff, and of course Quickley. Now, he may very well be considering Clemson, South Carolina, whomever. However, those type of schools won’t give you the hype that a UK would.

Did you notice that when Kansas was eliminated, that he quickly replaced them with Duke and North Carolina? Hype. Now, I was under the impression that it was UK and one of the local schools for Zion (Probably Clemson) and UK will be the choice. In the mean time, why not take some visits to two of the other top programs in the nation? It would be a complete shock if he’s not a Cat soon. Perfect situation for all parties involved. If he waits until spring, then this recruitment will get very interesting and would be a big negative to UK.

K. Johnson- Should be a Cat. Outside shot with Maryland and Texas. This isn’t Quickley or Quade confidence, but this is shaping up to be done soon or his spot may be taken. Someone told me Texas has all but given up, but Maryland still thinks there is a shot. Oak Hill is a good place to have end-roads with. He’s not as a big name, but he’s a beast. I used to like Grimes better for UK, but Johnson has clearly jumped him.

Bol- See my post from a while ago. I just think it’s not a good fit with UK. High drama, high a lot of things. The intangibles aren’t there. I think Cal gave it another stab with bringing him in on a visit. Didn’t work.

Herro- Still don’t know much besides the fact, he reminds me of Devin Booker. With no extra knowledge, he seems like a guy that wants UK pretty badly. I would take his commitment if everything about him checks out.

Happy Friday. Good luck this season.

-Coach

Thanks Coach, appreciate the insight.

Let's assume one of Green or Alexander go pro. Is UK going to have Quickly, one of the returning Pg's, plus one of Garland, Grimes? If we get Herro and K. Johnson that is a really crowded backcourt.

Thanks as always @CoachX11

Please don’t let the loser negative nancys keep you from this board. Many posters look forward to whatever you info that you can let out.

My only question is how do you think Zion will do After high school? He’s clearly athletic AF but only 6’6 and I honestly haven’t seen any videos of him showing any skill other than windmills and tomahawk slams. Can he shoot? Dribble? Anything other than jump 45 inches off the ground?

Zion and Barrett aside, I really want Herro. Just doesn't look like a typical Cal recruit. His game is smooth. He's a shooter. Decent athlete. Don't see him at UK, but would love to be wrong

Reactions: Galbpt02
Thanks coach. Don't let us morons on this board keep you from any tidbits you can pass on.

Zion and Barrett aside, I really want Herro. Just doesn't look like a typical Cal recruit. His game is smooth. He's a shooter. Decent athlete. Don't see him at UK, but would love to be wrong
If Herro is willing to come and it won't mess up Keldon Johnson coming, then you take him for sure. What if Barrett says UK, just drop Keldon Johnson offer?

Thanks as always @CoachX11

Please don’t let the loser negative nancys keep you from this board. Many posters look forward to whatever you info that you can let out.

My only question is how do you think Zion will do After high school? He’s clearly athletic AF but only 6’6 and I honestly haven’t seen any videos of him showing any skill other than windmills and tomahawk slams. Can he shoot? Dribble? Anything other than jump 45 inches off the ground?

I don't love his NBA potential as much as others. I dont think his wingspan is as long as some of the other top players and he's going to have to drop some weight to play in the NBA for a long time. Being 275 wears on your body over time no matter how athletic you are.

I just think he's going to be must see TV at the college level.

Let's assume one of Green or Alexander go pro. Is UK going to have Quickly, one of the returning Pg's, plus one of Garland, Grimes? If we get Herro and K. Johnson that is a really crowded backcourt.

I think we're looking at:

Green
Quickley/SGA
Johnson/SGA
Zion
Big man

as the starters.

then whichever of the SGA/Quickley/Johnson trio that doesn't start, Herro, and Baker at guard. Six guys for three spots. Not too bad, especially when Baker and Herro are likely aware that they won't be starting early in their UK career.

Awesome info, thank you

It would be so great to get Barrett, the Duke fans already consider him signed and delivered.

Just don't understand why Barrett would go to same school as Reddish. Very similar players. Whereas Zion plays a completely different game and it looks like he will/should play PF in college.

Man, that's some really good information. Just the thought of getting Zion and Barrett turns me giddy. That would be an incredible haul and it could happen.
It's unbelievable that people would attack @CoachX11 , seen it happen too and I guess I don't know why.
@CoachX11 , please continue to do your thing here, I certainly appreciate what you do for us.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
Thanks coach! Like you, I don't feel confident about about Barrett and I'm not surprised about bol. It will be nice if Zion commits soon and brings herro and johnson with him

Reactions: Jazzycat

Don’t see him at UK? Better change that view cause it’s looking more and more like he will be a Cat.

Coach, thanks as always !! Hope you have a great season, and get a big raise !!

If Herro is willing to come and it won't mess up Keldon Johnson coming, then you take him for sure. What if Barrett says UK, just drop Keldon Johnson offer?

I would tell him to fully commit to us and the we would talk.

I'm sure this has been talked about a million times but I dont get through all of the threads all the time. Could Cal have told Zion that Barrett is coming and thats why Zion wanted to visit Duke and Unc all of a sudden?

Seriously. The whole world thinks he’s coming here, given an offer, coming on a visit but not a Cal guy!?!

Nice didn't know Zion eliminated Kansas. Hard for him to choose anyone other than UK now.

Seriously, how do they get in the heads of these parents.
I can just see splinter and blubber bastard getting mr and mrs barrett into their office, closing the door, and with Zoolander playing in the background (mugatu brainwashing scene) they slowly over take the minds of mom and dad.
Those phony ass POS.
Yo Puke, eat a bag of dicks.
I wonder if it's bc Duke takes the approach of pumping the kids up and telling them how great they are whereas Cal has been known to go in hard with their weaknesses and a reality check. Parents like to think their little babies are perfect and the best thing since sliced bread. Some of them probably respond their likemindedness and the honey approach vs a taste of vinegar.

Or the parents are getting under the table benefits behind the scenes.

It's one or the other as it's way too often you hear how "the parents like Duke but the kid prefers (blank)"

Reactions: catsjordan
Nice write up. Thx for posting. It’s actually apparent that you are able to get some info and share as opposed to the handful of other “insiders” we have here on Rupp Rafters.

Who was that dude who said his friend “had dinner with coach Cal” and cal filled him in on alllll kinds of recurring info. That was pretty funny.

The general consensus has been about the same with all listed recruits the last few weeks it seems.

Is no news still good news ? lol

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Look after the cheating bastards at UNCheat got off, it doesn't matter what Puke does or gives a kid, the worthless NCAA isn't going to do a dam thing about it to either of those two !! Sad but True !!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT