November Update- Happy Basketball Season!

Discussion in 'Rupp Rafters - Basketball Forum' started by CoachX11, Nov 3, 2017.

1. CoachX11

Expand Collapse

Happy Basketball Season Kentucky Fans.

My season has started, and my communication with my basketball friends and colleagues will start to dry out, as we’re all focused on keeping our jobs and trying to grind our way through the season.

A little back story to this post: I basically gave up on poking around for information for you guys about a month ago. I got really busy and was on the road quite a bit. Also, I didn’t like a lot of the messages and comments I received in return for posting some tidbits here and there. Didn't think I needed that in my life.

To be honest, I just didn’t have the natural connections to this group of recruits as I did with current class of freshmen. Information is a lot harder to come by.

However, the early signing period is here, and rumors and talks are always hot during this period. I did stumble across some news and notes (mostly non-UK related, but some UK related) and I was able to make some calls and squeeze my way into something.

I’ve been hesitant to say much, because I’m sure they’ll be some backlash when some of this may end up being wrong in the long run, however this is the BEST information and “interpretation” of information that I can give you as of a few days ago.

Barrett- From what I am gathering this is a game of who get’s the last laugh. I think the family is really pushing Duke, the kid likes Oregon and Kentucky more, however he’s not in LOVE with UK or Oregon. IF he goes to DUKE, I want you all to know that there is a lot of people who were pushing UK. Coach Cal has a great relationship with the Canada Basketball, and the Murray family has had conversations with them about Coach Cal. The NBA guys tend to prefer UK over Duke in player development, however it just depends on which guys are in the ears of this camp. Coach Cal is polarizing.

Now, which brings me to the point that people thinks that this is a done deal for Duke. I don’t see that. Now, he may go to Duke, but I think it would be because “it was always going to be Duke” more so than Duke was where people were leading this family towards. Still, don’t count out Oregon. Lastly, the person who tells me a long time before on Duke guys (Jones, W. Carter, Trent) hasn’t bragged about Barrett yet, just like he didn’t brag beforehand about Knox. Full disclosure he didn’t brag about Bagley either. I’m still curious on how he can co-exist with Reddish and Jones (both are ball dominant).

Zion- The biggest thing you want to realize with Zion and his camp is that they’re ALL about the hype factor. This happens to be why I still can’t see him anywhere else but UK. He has a good connection with the staff, and of course Quickley. Now, he may very well be considering Clemson, South Carolina, whomever. However, those type of schools won’t give you the hype that a UK would.

Did you notice that when Kansas was eliminated, that he quickly replaced them with Duke and North Carolina? Hype. Now, I was under the impression that it was UK and one of the local schools for Zion (Probably Clemson) and UK will be the choice. In the mean time, why not take some visits to two of the other top programs in the nation? It would be a complete shock if he’s not a Cat soon. Perfect situation for all parties involved. If he waits until spring, then this recruitment will get very interesting and would be a big negative to UK.

K. Johnson- Should be a Cat. Outside shot with Maryland and Texas. This isn’t Quickley or Quade confidence, but this is shaping up to be done soon or his spot may be taken. Someone told me Texas has all but given up, but Maryland still thinks there is a shot. Oak Hill is a good place to have end-roads with. He’s not as a big name, but he’s a beast. I used to like Grimes better for UK, but Johnson has clearly jumped him.

Bol- See my post from a while ago. I just think it’s not a good fit with UK. High drama, high a lot of things. The intangibles aren’t there. I think Cal gave it another stab with bringing him in on a visit. Didn’t work.

Herro- Still don’t know much besides the fact, he reminds me of Devin Booker. With no extra knowledge, he seems like a guy that wants UK pretty badly. I would take his commitment if everything about him checks out.

Happy Friday. Good luck this season.

-Coach

UKUGA, Galbpt02, jwhite123 and 81 others like this.
  2. JFCats22

JFCats22 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Always appreciate the info Coach. Please keep posting.

Some morons on here don't understand that with 17/18 year olds things can and do change.

3. irishcat1965

irishcat1965 All-SEC
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the information. Don’t let some posters dissuade you from posting your thoughts here.

4. GonzoCat90

GonzoCat90 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Appreciate it, as always.

I think those Barrett and Zion tidbits are interesting, and you gave us the Bol stuff at a time when we thought he was probably a lock for us. You don't need to defend your information and your information doesn't need defending.

Good luck this season. Maybe we'll see you in Rupp soon.

5. Rhavicc

Rhavicc All-SEC
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Always appreciate your posts. I hate that you receive the type of venom that you do from posters here, you've always brought terrific insight that many here enjoy.

Hope you have a terrific season, coach!

6. BBUK

BBUK All-American
    Expand Collapse

I'll spray them with Troll spray if needed....jmusao

Cowtown Cat, JFCats22 and Mr_GG like this.
  7. JimboBBN

JimboBBN Blue Chip Prospect
    Expand Collapse

Thank you sir. Always appreciated. Don't let the haters/losers get to you!

floatingyou, ib4ky and Mr_GG like this.
  8. Bluemoon725

Bluemoon725 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have to say that was a more positive update than I thought it'd be.

9. CarolinaCatsFan

Expand Collapse

10. Fitch44

Fitch44 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Seriously, how do they get in the heads of these parents.
    I can just see splinter and blubber bastard getting mr and mrs barrett into their office, closing the door, and with Zoolander playing in the background (mugatu brainwashing scene) they slowly over take the minds of mom and dad.
    Those phony ass POS.
    Yo Puke, eat a bag of dicks.

11. Fitch44

Fitch44 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

And coach, thanks for the info!!
    Good luck this season!

JoeBeeHall and floatingyou like this.
  12. Poetax

Poetax All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Coach, appreciate the insight.

KINGBEAST and floatingyou like this.
  13. Sparkaces1

Sparkaces1 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Let's assume one of Green or Alexander go pro. Is UK going to have Quickly, one of the returning Pg's, plus one of Garland, Grimes? If we get Herro and K. Johnson that is a really crowded backcourt.

14. LG_Thomas

Expand Collapse

Thanks for the update @CoachX11 Really appreciate the tidbits you provide. Hope your team does well this season.

floatingyou likes this.
  15. Big Cat fan

Big Cat fan Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

16. ThroughBlue

ThroughBlue All-American
    Expand Collapse

Thanks as always @CoachX11

Please don’t let the loser negative nancys keep you from this board. Many posters look forward to whatever you info that you can let out.

My only question is how do you think Zion will do After high school? He’s clearly athletic AF but only 6’6 and I honestly haven’t seen any videos of him showing any skill other than windmills and tomahawk slams. Can he shoot? Dribble? Anything other than jump 45 inches off the ground?

17. 43toeat77

43toeat77 Freshman
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Zion and Barrett aside, I really want Herro. Just doesn't look like a typical Cal recruit. His game is smooth. He's a shooter. Decent athlete. Don't see him at UK, but would love to be wrong

Galbpt02 likes this.
  18. C*A*T*S

Expand Collapse

Thanks coach. Don't let us morons on this board keep you from any tidbits you can pass on.

19. Sparkaces1

Sparkaces1 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

If Herro is willing to come and it won't mess up Keldon Johnson coming, then you take him for sure. What if Barrett says UK, just drop Keldon Johnson offer?

20. Bluesnky

Bluesnky Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

No. Just play him at SG.

Galbpt02 and GonzoCat90 like this.
  21. CoachX11

Expand Collapse

I don't love his NBA potential as much as others. I dont think his wingspan is as long as some of the other top players and he's going to have to drop some weight to play in the NBA for a long time. Being 275 wears on your body over time no matter how athletic you are.

I just think he's going to be must see TV at the college level.

22. Sparkaces1

Sparkaces1 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Barrett at 3, Zion at 4?

23. GonzoCat90

GonzoCat90 All-American
    Expand Collapse

I think we're looking at:

Green
    Quickley/SGA
    Johnson/SGA
    Zion
    Big man

as the starters.

then whichever of the SGA/Quickley/Johnson trio that doesn't start, Herro, and Baker at guard. Six guys for three spots. Not too bad, especially when Baker and Herro are likely aware that they won't be starting early in their UK career.

24. Bluesnky

Bluesnky Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Well heck yeah!

25. WildcatfaninOhio

WildcatfaninOhio All-American
    Expand Collapse

Milford, OH (originally from Covington, KY)
    Thanks, Coach. Pay no mind to the idiot 1% that love to hate. The other 99% of us appreciate your insight.

26. KyFord

KyFord Blue Chip Prospect
    Expand Collapse

Awesome info, thank you

It would be so great to get Barrett, the Duke fans already consider him signed and delivered.

27. Sparkaces1

Sparkaces1 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Just don't understand why Barrett would go to same school as Reddish. Very similar players. Whereas Zion plays a completely different game and it looks like he will/should play PF in college.

catsjordan and westerncat like this.
  28. HICATFAN

HICATFAN Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Mahalo Nui Loa Coach!!!

Let me know when you make it over here and I’ll buy you some of those umbrella drinks :okay:

AlohaCat

Jmeeks54thebest likes this.
  29. kyjeff1

kyjeff1 All-SEC
    Expand Collapse

Man, that's some really good information. Just the thought of getting Zion and Barrett turns me giddy. That would be an incredible haul and it could happen.
    It's unbelievable that people would attack @CoachX11 , seen it happen too and I guess I don't know why.
    @CoachX11 , please continue to do your thing here, I certainly appreciate what you do for us.

railroadkat_1 likes this.
  30. Wall2Boogie

Wall2Boogie All-American
    Expand Collapse

Thanks coach! Like you, I don't feel confident about about Barrett and I'm not surprised about bol. It will be nice if Zion commits soon and brings herro and johnson with him

Jazzycat likes this.
  31. UKCATSFREAK

UKCATSFREAK Junior
    Expand Collapse

Don’t see him at UK? Better change that view cause it’s looking more and more like he will be a Cat.

32. the stat man

the stat man Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Coach, thanks as always !! Hope you have a great season, and get a big raise !!

33. Poetax

Poetax All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I would tell him to fully commit to us and the we would talk.

34. KYBorn&Raised

KYBorn&Raised Blue Chip Prospect
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure this has been talked about a million times but I dont get through all of the threads all the time. Could Cal have told Zion that Barrett is coming and thats why Zion wanted to visit Duke and Unc all of a sudden?

35. KYFOSSIL

KYFOSSIL Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Seriously. The whole world thinks he’s coming here, given an offer, coming on a visit but not a Cal guy!?!

36. TrustinCal

TrustinCal Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Nice didn't know Zion eliminated Kansas. Hard for him to choose anyone other than UK now.

37. bluesundown

bluesundown Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks coach

38. EliteBlue

EliteBlue Senior
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if it's bc Duke takes the approach of pumping the kids up and telling them how great they are whereas Cal has been known to go in hard with their weaknesses and a reality check. Parents like to think their little babies are perfect and the best thing since sliced bread. Some of them probably respond their likemindedness and the honey approach vs a taste of vinegar.

Or the parents are getting under the table benefits behind the scenes.

It's one or the other as it's way too often you hear how "the parents like Duke but the kid prefers (blank)"

catsjordan likes this.
  39. FrankUnderwood

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Nice write up. Thx for posting. It’s actually apparent that you are able to get some info and share as opposed to the handful of other “insiders” we have here on Rupp Rafters.

Who was that dude who said his friend “had dinner with coach Cal” and cal filled him in on alllll kinds of recurring info. That was pretty funny.

The general consensus has been about the same with all listed recruits the last few weeks it seems.

Is no news still good news ? lol

Jmeeks54thebest likes this.
  40. the stat man

the stat man Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Look after the cheating bastards at UNCheat got off, it doesn't matter what Puke does or gives a kid, the worthless NCAA isn't going to do a dam thing about it to either of those two !! Sad but True !!

Old_Red and westerncat like this.