ADVERTISEMENT

November Update- Happy Basketball Season!

Happy Basketball Season Kentucky Fans.

My season has started, and my communication with my basketball friends and colleagues will start to dry out, as we’re all focused on keeping our jobs and trying to grind our way through the season.

A little back story to this post: I basically gave up on poking around for information for you guys about a month ago. I got really busy and was on the road quite a bit. Also, I didn’t like a lot of the messages and comments I received in return for posting some tidbits here and there. Didn't think I needed that in my life.

To be honest, I just didn’t have the natural connections to this group of recruits as I did with current class of freshmen. Information is a lot harder to come by.

However, the early signing period is here, and rumors and talks are always hot during this period. I did stumble across some news and notes (mostly non-UK related, but some UK related) and I was able to make some calls and squeeze my way into something.

I’ve been hesitant to say much, because I’m sure they’ll be some backlash when some of this may end up being wrong in the long run, however this is the BEST information and “interpretation” of information that I can give you as of a few days ago.

Thanks, Coach. You are always welcome on this board, and I appreciate your info. Good luck on this season.
Barrett- From what I am gathering this is a game of who get’s the last laugh. I think the family is really pushing Duke, the kid likes Oregon and Kentucky more, however he’s not in LOVE with UK or Oregon. IF he goes to DUKE, I want you all to know that there is a lot of people who were pushing UK. Coach Cal has a great relationship with the Canada Basketball, and the Murray family has had conversations with them about Coach Cal. The NBA guys tend to prefer UK over Duke in player development, however it just depends on which guys are in the ears of this camp. Coach Cal is polarizing.

Now, which brings me to the point that people thinks that this is a done deal for Duke. I don’t see that. Now, he may go to Duke, but I think it would be because “it was always going to be Duke” more so than Duke was where people were leading this family towards. Still, don’t count out Oregon. Lastly, the person who tells me a long time before on Duke guys (Jones, W. Carter, Trent) hasn’t bragged about Barrett yet, just like he didn’t brag beforehand about Knox. Full disclosure he didn’t brag about Bagley either. I’m still curious on how he can co-exist with Reddish and Jones (both are ball dominant).

Zion- The biggest thing you want to realize with Zion and his camp is that they’re ALL about the hype factor. This happens to be why I still can’t see him anywhere else but UK. He has a good connection with the staff, and of course Quickley. Now, he may very well be considering Clemson, South Carolina, whomever. However, those type of schools won’t give you the hype that a UK would.

Did you notice that when Kansas was eliminated, that he quickly replaced them with Duke and North Carolina? Hype. Now, I was under the impression that it was UK and one of the local schools for Zion (Probably Clemson) and UK will be the choice. In the mean time, why not take some visits to two of the other top programs in the nation? It would be a complete shock if he’s not a Cat soon. Perfect situation for all parties involved. If he waits until spring, then this recruitment will get very interesting and would be a big negative to UK.

K. Johnson- Should be a Cat. Outside shot with Maryland and Texas. This isn’t Quickley or Quade confidence, but this is shaping up to be done soon or his spot may be taken. Someone told me Texas has all but given up, but Maryland still thinks there is a shot. Oak Hill is a good place to have end-roads with. He’s not as a big name, but he’s a beast. I used to like Grimes better for UK, but Johnson has clearly jumped him.

Bol- See my post from a while ago. I just think it’s not a good fit with UK. High drama, high a lot of things. The intangibles aren’t there. I think Cal gave it another stab with bringing him in on a visit. Didn’t work.

Herro- Still don’t know much besides the fact, he reminds me of Devin Booker. With no extra knowledge, he seems like a guy that wants UK pretty badly. I would take his commitment if everything about him checks out.

Happy Friday. Good luck this season.

-Coach

Thanks Coach enjoy reading the info that you have. Don't let the small # of buttholes on here keep you from posting . Good luck with your team this year.

One of my best friends since grade school is an ex college coach and worked with some NBA teams. He has always said when it comes to recruiting things can change in a sec. You can have solid info telling you he's a cat. Then a couple hrs later he's putting on an Arizona hat. That being said, thank you for sharing what tidbits you have. Most appreciate it, but you will have doubters since we've been burned before. And most of us know that you can't give a source due to obvious reasons.
Good luck this season and stay in touch. The more we have knowledgeable people in the sport post on here, the better off this board will be.

Thanks @CoachX11. Have really appreciated what you share. As fluid as recruiting info can be it's still fun to see which way the wind is blowing at any given moment.

My season has started, and my communication with my basketball friends and colleagues will start to dry out, as we’re all focused on keeping our jobs and trying to grind our way through the season.

A little back story to this post: I basically gave up on poking around for information for you guys about a month ago. I got really busy and was on the road quite a bit. Also, I didn’t like a lot of the messages and comments I received in return for posting some tidbits here and there. Didn't think I needed that in my life.

To be honest, I just didn’t have the natural connections to this group of recruits as I did with current class of freshmen. Information is a lot harder to come by.

However, the early signing period is here, and rumors and talks are always hot during this period. I did stumble across some news and notes (mostly non-UK related, but some UK related) and I was able to make some calls and squeeze my way into something.

I’ve been hesitant to say much, because I’m sure they’ll be some backlash when some of this may end up being wrong in the long run, however this is the BEST information and “interpretation” of information that I can give you as of a few days ago.

Barrett- From what I am gathering this is a game of who get’s the last laugh. I think the family is really pushing Duke, the kid likes Oregon and Kentucky more, however he’s not in LOVE with UK or Oregon. IF he goes to DUKE, I want you all to know that there is a lot of people who were pushing UK. Coach Cal has a great relationship with the Canada Basketball, and the Murray family has had conversations with them about Coach Cal. The NBA guys tend to prefer UK over Duke in player development, however it just depends on which guys are in the ears of this camp. Coach Cal is polarizing.

Now, which brings me to the point that people thinks that this is a done deal for Duke. I don’t see that. Now, he may go to Duke, but I think it would be because “it was always going to be Duke” more so than Duke was where people were leading this family towards. Still, don’t count out Oregon. Lastly, the person who tells me a long time before on Duke guys (Jones, W. Carter, Trent) hasn’t bragged about Barrett yet, just like he didn’t brag beforehand about Knox. Full disclosure he didn’t brag about Bagley either. I’m still curious on how he can co-exist with Reddish and Jones (both are ball dominant).

Zion- The biggest thing you want to realize with Zion and his camp is that they’re ALL about the hype factor. This happens to be why I still can’t see him anywhere else but UK. He has a good connection with the staff, and of course Quickley. Now, he may very well be considering Clemson, South Carolina, whomever. However, those type of schools won’t give you the hype that a UK would.

Did you notice that when Kansas was eliminated, that he quickly replaced them with Duke and North Carolina? Hype. Now, I was under the impression that it was UK and one of the local schools for Zion (Probably Clemson) and UK will be the choice. In the mean time, why not take some visits to two of the other top programs in the nation? It would be a complete shock if he’s not a Cat soon. Perfect situation for all parties involved. If he waits until spring, then this recruitment will get very interesting and would be a big negative to UK.

K. Johnson- Should be a Cat. Outside shot with Maryland and Texas. This isn’t Quickley or Quade confidence, but this is shaping up to be done soon or his spot may be taken. Someone told me Texas has all but given up, but Maryland still thinks there is a shot. Oak Hill is a good place to have end-roads with. He’s not as a big name, but he’s a beast. I used to like Grimes better for UK, but Johnson has clearly jumped him.

Bol- See my post from a while ago. I just think it’s not a good fit with UK. High drama, high a lot of things. The intangibles aren’t there. I think Cal gave it another stab with bringing him in on a visit. Didn’t work.

Herro- Still don’t know much besides the fact, he reminds me of Devin Booker. With no extra knowledge, he seems like a guy that wants UK pretty badly. I would take his commitment if everything about him checks out.

-Coach
Thanks Coach. Quit being sensitive about a few aholes giving you grief. For Christ's sakes, you're tougher than that. Everyone that posts here has people giving them crap about their opinions.

Keep giving your info and leave it at that.

I have posters on here that hate my guts. I couldn't care less. I know I'm a helluva nice guy and would help anyone on here if they truly needed it.

At the end of the day, most on here on hardcore UK fans, and that's a good thing.

Again, keep on keeping on!

Thanks Coach!

Sounds like it's looking like a Quickley, Herro, Johnson, and Williamson class in the Fall.

I think the fact that Cal isn't looking for a big besides Bol tells me he either:

1. expects to sign Bol.

2. expects some big men back.

or

3. expects a big man to reclass.

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
Thanks Coach. Quit being sensitive about a few aholes giving you grief. For Christ's sakes, you're tougher than that. Everyone that posts here has people giving them crap about their opinions.

I have posters on here that hate my guts. I couldn't care less. I know I'm a helluva nice guy and would help anyone on here if they truly needed it.

At the end of the day, most on here on hardcore UK fans, and that's a good thing.

@morgousky needs a friend...

@Willy4UK wants one...

Thanks Coach!

Sounds like it's looking like a Quickley, Herro, Johnson, and Williamson class in the Fall.

I think the fact that Cal isn't looking for a big besides Bol tells me he either:

1. expects to sign Bol.

2. expects some big men back.

or

3. expects a big man to reclass.

It’s hard to think otherwise when one of his patented phrases is “a team without a post game is a fraud.” He’s not the sort of guy to say, “eh, we have a few 6’7” combo forwards, let’s just wing it and see what happens.”

Reactions: bucsrule8872
It’s hard to think otherwise when one of his patented phrases is “a team without a post game is a fraud.” He’s not the sort of guy to say, “eh, we have a few 6’7” combo forwards, let’s just wing it and see what happens.”

Great point to add.

[eyeroll][eyeroll]

-Coach
There’s a vocal minority here that just post to bring others down. Regardless of what they’re posting. I don’t take anything you say as concrete, but I do appreciate what you post because from your track record you do seem to be in the know to some extent.

Reactions: RipThru
Thanks everyone for the replies and well wishes.

By the way, I stumbled across a pretty positive tidbit regarding Barrett for you guys.

I expect more to leak this week. If you guys see “experts” flip picks in the next day or two for UK, there is a really good reason.

Still, I’m not sure anyone really knows at this point.

By the way, I stumbled across a pretty positive tidbit regarding Barrett for you guys.

I expect more to leak this week. If you guys see “experts” flip picks in the next day or two for UK, there is a really good reason.

Please Lord Jesus please Be true!! Barrett and Zion and I'll take that Moses Brown kid over Bol as well Kid is going to be a Stud!

Hey coach any Info on Moses??

No matter how things turn out with this class of 2018, we are sitting pretty for a Final Four/Championship run next season!

And thanks coach!!!! You got my attention!!!!!

Please Lord Jesus please Be true!! Barrett and Zion and I'll take that Moses Brown kid over Bol as well Kid is going to be a Stud!

Hey coach any Info on Moses??

Well, before I get anyone’s hopes up, I honestly can’t make a good prediction on this.

Like I stated before, if “experts” start changing their predictions, then they probably heard what I heard.

As far as Moses, I don’t love him as a player. However, UK is best place to be developed as a big man.

Well, before I get anyone’s hopes up, I honestly can’t make a good prediction on this.

Like I stated before, if “experts” start changing their predictions, then they probably heard what I heard.

As far as Moses, I don’t love him as a player. However, UK is best place to be developed as a big man.
What did you hear?

Reactions: Bluesnky

Coach, what's up with keldon?

Reactions: catsjordan
Zion waiting til Spring means nothing bad for UK . It makes sense as he needs to make sure Knox and JV are going pro. I bet Zion does wait til Spring in fact as most think he will. Regardless Zion will be a Cat most believe.

Also thanks for the info as all one can do is post what they are hearing and think . It doesn't mean they are right but we all should appreciate it none the less.

This post just made my head tingle.

Reactions: floatingyou

Whoa. Well that's interesting.

Don't do this to me. Don't give me hope.

Man I think Moses has great offensive potential but I'm watching highlight clips. I know I really like his footwork and that one of the main things I look at out of a big on offense. Usually you get 7+footers are lil uncoordinated. I think he is going to be a good one.

I just don't understand why parents are so enamored with Duke when they know, without a doubt, that their son will only be there for a year. You got to see first hand how K handles youth, how kids were pushed out, etc.

What about Cal's success makes a parent say "Yeah, we're not sold on this..".

The negative recruiting and impermissible benefits must be astounding to steer recruits away from the type of success Calipari has had over the last decade.

I just don't understand why parents are so enamored with Duke when they know, without a doubt, that their son will only be there for a year. You got to see first hand how K handles youth, how kids were pushed out, etc.

What about Cal's success makes a parent say "Yeah, we're not sold on this..".

The negative recruiting and impermissible benefits must be astounding to steer recruits away from the type of success Calipari has had over the last decade.
The parents didn't like Duke so much last recruiting season. That's why they missed on all of their high level targets except Carter and Trent and were left scrambling to fill out their roster.

Reactions: DanHalen88

This could very well be why Johnson is waiting now? Maybe he got word of it also! There's no reason his mind might have changed all of a sudden.

I just saw on Twitter, right before signing on to Rafters, that TJ Walker has heard something positive btwn UK and RJ. I think he's supposed elaborate soon

Thanks for all the info Coach. And good luck on your season

Last edited:
TJ didn’t really have any good new info this morning on his Monday Insider News

Gonzo, I like your posts. I find myself starting to post exactly what you do and I just hit the like button to save time. You're fun to follow.

I think what's great about this place is that it's an outlet for the "common but uncommon" UK fan to talk with others like ourselves.

We take this more seriously and know a bit more than your average person who casually follows the Cats, so it's a place to go and not look like a crazy person.

ADVERTISEMENT