ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina Scandal Etc

Oh, that's gonna leave a scar.

WHY DON'T THEY FALL ON THEIR SWORD? I frankly don't see any other option for INC and the NCAA to save credibility. This is really turning into a poorly written mystery novel.

What does this do to the NCAA investigation? Lot of stuff subject to subpoena now (again). Does the NCAA have access to that as a matter of public record? Do the parties to the lawsuit have access to the NCAA information? Even though this is a civil suit, does the freedom of information act apply here?

From the article:

"Five people were indicted in September 2013, including Georgia-based sports agent Terry Watson, though prosecutor Jim Woodall later dropped charges against a former UNC tutor in the case."

Anybody want to take a guess why a North Carolina prosecutor would drop charges against a tutor ? Maybe a valid reason, or just maybe he doesn't want any information from someone affiliated with the school to go on public record. [eyeroll]

I think the NCAA got to really punish UNC & Roy William really hard, even if they really don't want to.

From the article:

"Five people were indicted in September 2013, including Georgia-based sports agent Terry Watson, though prosecutor Jim Woodall later dropped charges against a former UNC tutor in the case."

Anybody want to take a guess why a North Carolina prosecutor would drop charges against a tutor ? Maybe a valid reason, or just maybe he doesn't want any information from someone affiliated with the school to go on public record. [eyeroll]

Wiley (now married and known as Jennifer Lauren Thompson) was charged with athlete agent inducement - a Class I felony that carries a maximum sentence of 15 months in prison. Violations could also carry civil penalties of up to $25,000.

"After looking at the facts and sitting down with Ms. Thompson, Mr. Woodall determined that the cases against her should be dismissed. Ms. Thompson committed no crime at any time and we commend Mr. Woodall for doing the right thing and dismissing these cases. Ms. Thompson has suffered too much over the last four years and hopefully can now begin to put all of this behind her," said her attorney Joe Cheshire.

The original indictment alleged Wiley provided former UNC football player Greg Little with roundtrip plane ticket to Florida in the amount of $579.50 in an attempt to get Little to sign with Terry Watson of the Georgia-based Watson Sports Agency.

Reactions: jarms24
No matter what happens to UNC there is so much that will still go unmentioned.

Momma Hansbrough's job
Players arrested in Roy's rental property
Ex-cons and Cars
Mouthpieces
Communications Majors

and the list goes on and on... the lack of integrity at the top of UNC is horrendous.

From the article:

I wonder where Jimmy Woodall went to school?

UNC's brazen disregard for rules is more of an indictment on the NCAA than it is on UNC. It's like with your kids: they'll push the limits on right/wrong if there are no boundaries. Over the years, other schools (like UK) have been disciplined and learned their lesson. UNC has learned that they can operate footloose and fancy free, with no fear of judgment. And sad to say, the beat goes on.

UNC's brazen disregard for rules is more of an indictment on the NCAA than it is on UNC. It's like with your kids: they'll push the limits on right/wrong if there are no boundaries. Over the years, other schools (like UK) have been disciplined and learned their lesson. UNC has learned that they can operate footloose and fancy free, with no fear of judgment. And sad to say, the beat goes on.
It's the NCAA's fault that UNC perpetuated a 20+ year academic scandal? You can't seriously believe that.

Let me put it more succinctly: UNC became massively corrupt gradually...because they know what we know. They learned that no one will hold them responsible. Not their Trustees or alumni or fans. Not the media (nationally). Not Espn. Not Dookie Vitale and the other Talking Heads.

And most of all, not the NCAA...the supposed whistleblowers. How did this develop? It sure as heck isn't something UNC manufactured. It originated with the NCAA, who (for a variety of reasons) has refused to hold them accountable as they do the rest of us. Other than football, it's been "anything goes" in Chapel Hill.

Thank the Lord that NC State fans + Raleigh News Observer (Dan Kane) seized the day and refused to back down.

It's the NCAA's fault that UNC perpetuated a 20+ year academic scandal? You can't seriously believe that.

The NCAA is going to let this ride out for years, just like they did with Duke hoping that everyone forget. NCAA never done or said anything about Duke player receive money to media started asking about it.
We all know what the NCAA said. ( Coach K didn't know .)

Don't you think that Memphis and those others that the NCAA came down on for the same thing can truly say Double Standard.

Reactions: uky8unc5
Let me put it more succinctly: UNC became massively corrupt gradually...because they know what we know. They learned that no one will hold them responsible. Not their Trustees or alumni or fans. Not the media (nationally). Not Espn. Not Dookie Vitale and the other Talking Heads.

And most of all, not the NCAA...the supposed whistleblowers. How did this develop? It sure as heck isn't something UNC manufactured. It originated with the NCAA, who (for a variety of reasons) has refused to hold them accountable as they do the rest of us. Other than football, it's been "anything goes" in Chapel Hill.

Thank the Lord that NC State fans + Raleigh News Observer (Dan Kane) seized the day and refused to back down.

Good point. Everyone recognizes that UNC is to blame for the fraud, but the NCAA most certainly helped to facilitate it to occur through their inactions.

I remember from the early 1990's seeing example after example of Michael Jordan and others 'bumping' into recruits both in Chapel Hill and outside, and regardless of whether it was an official visit or not, with nothing happening.

As a UK fan who had just seen UK be nailed for taking a recruit to see Dan Issel on an official recruiting visit (the reason UK was nailed was because Issel happened to live outside of the city of Lexington), it was hard to stomach the blatant flaunting of rules by UNC, yet that's exactly what they did and they knew the NCAA would never lift a finger.

FWIW, I was shocked a few years ago when UNC's Steve Kirshner self-reported a violation of a recruit bumping into such an alum. The reason I was shocked is that they had been doing this for decades with no sign of thinking it was a problem before.

Another example, when Bill Guthridge stepped down but before Matt Doherty took over, there was a time during the summer when there literally was no official basketball staff in place in Chapel Hill. Yet there were a lot of recruits, including David Lee, who were in Chapel Hill at the time, playing with former UNC players who had returned from the NBA and tooling around in their cars, hanging out etc.

I always wondered what, if any, oversight was taking place by the UNC basketball staff (if there even was one) at the time to make sure no violations were taking place. But again, they obviously felt like this was not a problem because they thought they were above the rules. And for that, the NCAA is partially to blame as they allowed such an attitude to take root.

The NCAA is going to let this ride out for years, just like they did with Duke hoping that everyone forget. NCAA never done or said anything about Duke player receive money to media started asking about it.
We all know what the NCAA said. (Coach K didn't know .)

Don't you think that Memphis and those others that the NCAA came down on for the same thing can truly say Double Standard.
My original point exactly. The NCAA has enabled UNC's flagrantly arrogant operation. And Dook is their twin, but we don't have the hardcore proof. The rest of us (UK included) have had to learn.

My hope is that the NCAA has been cornered this time and will be forced to hammer UNC. Yea, it's a pipedream. But hope keeps me sane.

From the article:

NC District Attorney Jim Woodall
UNC undergrad '82
UNC law, '85

The corruption is SO deep it is insane.

Reactions: drawing_dead
Another example, when Bill Guthridge stepped down but before Matt Doherty took over, there was a time during the summer when there literally was no official basketball staff in place in Chapel Hill. Yet there were a lot of recruits, including David Lee, who were in Chapel Hill at the time, playing with former UNC players who had returned from the NBA and tooling around in their cars, hanging out etc..

As I recall, our UNC friends said it was legal because those NBA players were working on their degrees and were, therefore, on campus as students. Now, we know the truth. Those players were getting degrees for not going to class but "tooling around in their cars, hanging out, etc..."

It will take a corrupt American media to blow this open. Not some little OTL episode, but real outrage arming the media, especially ESPN.

I'm still not holding my breath, and I'm sure the NCAA does not correlate this scandal with its right to exist as a group. I know it's fun to say it, but so far they're not scared of that possible reality one bit.

The NCAA is going to let this ride out for years, just like they did with Duke hoping that everyone forget..
Anyone implying that the Maggette/Thomas situations are REMOTELY similar to a 20+ year academic scandal that kept thousands of athletes across multiple sports eligible clearly has no idea what he/she is talking about.

1) The reading comprehension insult is the dumbest zinger I consistently see on these boards. That and butthurt. Totally overused and totally stupid.

2) I am glad the NC State fans stayed on this as well. Dan Kane has done excellent work on this topic.

Anyone implying that the Maggette/Thomas situations are REMOTELY similar to a 20+ year academic scandal that kept thousands of athletes across multiple sports eligible clearly has no idea what he/she is talking about.
Nothing is close to what UNC has done!

Duke still played players that should have been ruled ineligible though...

Mark, there you go again. BigBlueForever did not come close to "implying" that Maggette/Thomas/Dook's indiscretions are similar to UNC's. Clearly he was simply stating what you and I know is true: the NCAA plays favorites when it serves their purpose.

Hey man, we play for the same team. My apology for being grumbly earlier.

We all know what the NCAA said. ( Coach K didn't know .)

Indeed.

unccheaters are the MAFIA of college b'ball---protection at all levels of media, courts, gubment and ncaa.

Dirtiest program since woodencheater at uclacheaters.

rr

I'm just glad Bubba has righted the ship and called out women's basketball and soccer for the cheaters they are.
Bubba understands integrity; that's why he makes sure Roy tells the truth to all of us who have been misled by perception.

Reactions: brianpoe
What I want to know is when is Bethel's documentary going to be released?

He raised over $140,000 on kickstarter and the last update was from July 13, which said they were done filming and would start editing along with posting followups 'within the next couple weeks'.

Link to Bethel's Kickstarter page

If I was one of the chumps who actually handed over money for this project, I'd be curious where that money went.

What I want to know is when is Bethel's documentary going to be released?

He raised over $140,000 on kickstarter and the last update was from July 13, which said they were done filming and would start editing along with posting followups 'within the next couple weeks'.

Link to Bethel's Kickstarter page

If I was one of the chumps who actually handed over money for this project, I'd be curious where that money went.

According to the twitter account for the film, they are still filming and editing.

https://twitter.com/unverified_film

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT