ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina Board of Education ends HS NIL

When you say you want virtually no restrictions, yes you are arguing for them to get paid however which sure sounds like it includes directly by any school.

I might also add that schools who pay kids directly are risking the kids amateur status and they could be subject to penalties at the college level. Just ask Ivisic(sp) and Kanter about that.

That’s just simply not true, you’re literally trying to tell me what I’m arguing. If you took it that way then you misunderstood, and you don’t need to argue against that point anymore. At the end of the day I’d ultimately like to make more, as much as possible actually. I’d like to pay the minimum in taxes as well. I’m fine if you make considerably less than you do and get taxed to the max.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
I don't understand the decision or how it could be legal. Schools are not paying athletes. Everyone has the right to profit from their name, identity, and likeness. That isn't something a schoolboard has the authority to take. The schoolboard couldn't take a kid's car without just compensation. Why should they be able to take a kid's right to his name, image, and likeness?

The argument was always the colleges were getting rich off the athletes.

It’s going to be difficult to claim students are employees of a HS.

No one (or at least a very minor extreme) are advocating for public schools to pay athletes. The actual law still allows private school athletes to get paid by non-school entities.

I don't understand the decision or how it could be legal. Schools are not paying athletes. Everyone has the right to profit from their name, identity, and likeness. That isn't something a schoolboard has the authority to take. The schoolboard couldn't take a kid's car without just compensation. Why should they be able to take a kid's right to his name, image, and likeness?
I agree. As long as the schools are not in any way negotiating for or paying the kids. However, what State Athletics Associations really want to avoid is recruiting like you see in colleges. HS should not be recruiting and boosters should not be putting a condition to play for a certain school as part of any compensation for name image and likeness.

No one (or at least a very minor extreme) are advocating for public schools to pay athletes. The actual law still allows private school athletes to get paid by non-school entities.
Accept you were arguing for virtually no restrictions earlier🤣🤣🤣

I love that virtually no restrictions means absolutely no restrictions. At least to you.

I love that virtually no restrictions means absolutely no restrictions. At least to you.
I call a spade a spade. Most people can read your opinions from above and discern what you meant prior to finally agreeing with my post and acting as if you had not been advocating for schools to pay kids to play.

I call a spade a spade. Most people can read your opinions from above and discern what you meant prior to finally agreeing with my post and acting as if you had not been advocating for schools to pay kids to play.

We’re about three posts away from you arguing against me saying that 7 years olds should be given a 1 million dollar government stipend tax free at the 15th of every month.

We’re about three posts away from you arguing against me saying that 7 years olds should be given a 1 million dollar government stipend tax free at the 15th of every month.
When people start deflecting, they admit they are wrong. I accept your admission.

The real problem is boosters using NIL to recruit. NIL, can and should, be a free market driven thing. But the USA model of having sports teams attached to schools creates an issue. Boosters alliances perverting the "free" market.

The rest of the world uses a club model. Sports and the education system aren't married. You play at the level of your skill, move up at your pace, and start to earn money when people want to pay you. Not because Billy Bob's car dealership wants box seats for football or to sit behind the bench in basketball.

As usual, our country has ruined a good thing because of money, greed, and power.

The real problem is boosters using NIL to recruit. NIL, can and should, be a free market driven thing. But the USA model of having sports teams attached to schools creates an issue. Boosters alliances perverting the "free" market.

The rest of the world uses a club model. Sports and the education system aren't married. You play at the level of your skill, move up at your pace, and start to earn money when people want to pay you. Not because Billy Bob's car dealership wants box seats for football or to sit behind the bench in basketball.

As usual, our country has ruined a good thing because of money, greed, and power.

Yep, It's the core problem with the American model. I don't see it ever changing either to be honest. What it started as and what it has become are starkly different and have been for a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT