ADVERTISEMENT

Movies that haven't aged well

Talk about a movie that has aged very well. IMO.

Also, here's a movie that has aged almost to perfection.

Love that one. Think I have the dvd around here somewhere. I listened to a bit of a podcast once where these two guys reviewed PCU and hated it. Said it was offensive and stereotypical. Talk about completely missing the point...

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Is it streaming somewhere?

I'd have to look. It was an almost completely forgotten movie unless you were growing up during this time. But it's becoming a bit of a cult classic just for how it sort of called a lot of what we are going through now.

Plus I think it really nailed college life and the various groups of people you meet. Jake Bussey as a Frisbee playing hippee? Absolutely.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
I'd have to look. It was an almost completely forgotten movie unless you were growing up during this time. But it's becoming a bit of a cult classic just for how it sort of called a lot of what we are going through now.

Plus I think it really nailed college life and the various groups of people you meet. Jake Bussey as a Frisbee playing hippee? Absolutely.

Semi related, but Under Siege, starring Jake’s dad, is one of a very few SS movies that actually hold up.

Earliest movie I can continue to watch: It's a Wonderful Life
Second earliest movie I can continue to watch: Godfather and Godfather II
Third: Animal House
Fourth: Caddyshack

Reactions: vhcat70 and hmt5000
I'll push back on 80s horror. You mean all those schlocky, badly acted movies made for a VHS era for a nickel each didn't age well? Buddy, they were meant to be bad. I still love them but they were always bad. As a horror fan, I recognize it and enjoy them for what they are.

- Teen sex comedies like Porky's, Revenge of the Nerds, and American Pie because those films had predatory guys either stalking, trying to rape, or finding ways to stare at girls in their bedrooms, locker rooms, or showers and it was seen as lighthearted, funny, and normal.

- Breakfast at Tiffany's and Murder By Death included white men as Asians with big teeth and slanted eyes.

- Soul Man's entire plot was a white guy in black face and a wig. That was the movie.

- a few Slater joints...I love Pump Up the Volume but teens don't gather round radios anymore and no one gives a shit about the FCC now. The Wizard - just a commercial for Nintendo and the Power Glove with a scene of kids calling one of those gaming help lines. Untamed Heart - Slater's character breaks into a girl's bedroom and leaves a Christmas tree. He's somehow rewarded by getting the girl afterward.

Why doesn't it shock me you see teen sex comedies as "predatory"? LOL I feel like you have 100 testosterone level. If you can't laugh at porky's then you have a serious problem in your masculinity. It's an obvious comedy. LOL.

Reactions: WayneDougan
Love that one. Think I have the dvd around here somewhere. I listened to a bit of a podcast once where these two guys reviewed PCU and hated it. Said it was offensive and stereotypical. Talk about completely missing the point...
tenor.gif

Lots of 90s action movies are awful - Bad Boys, The Mummy, Armageddon, etc. Any Pauley Shore Movie.

Why doesn't it shock me you see teen sex comedies as "predatory"? LOL I feel like you have 100 testosterone level. If you can't laugh at porky's then you have a serious problem in your masculinity. It's an obvious comedy. LOL.
I grew up watching every film I listed and consider them trash classics. The topic is movies that haven't aged well, not movies you find offensive. I don't find any film offensive. In most teen sex comedies then, holes were drilled into walls to spy on girls, some characters refused to take no for an answer, leading to them forcing themselves on a girl, and being a peeping tom was made to seem normal in a way. Thus, those movies haven't aged well.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
Lots of 90s action movies are awful - Bad Boys, The Mummy, Armageddon, etc. Any Pauley Shore Movie.
Hot take for The Mummy. There's a few scenes that look terrible because of dated CGI but overall that's a pretty popular action adventure flick. Hollywood got a remake right for once imo.

You're probably correct on some cheapo action movies but after a quick search there's loads of great ones: Speed, The Rock, T2, Point Break, Stone Cold, The Fugitive, Heat, Total Recall, Matrix, Con Air, Blade, Hard Target, The Long Kiss Goodnight, True Lies, Last Boy Scout, Leon, Face/Off. I'm going to even throw Cliffhanger and Daylight on the list too.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Hot take for The Mummy. There's a few scenes that look terrible because of dated CGI but overall that's a pretty popular action adventure flick. Hollywood got a remake right for once imo.

You're probably correct on some cheapo action movies but after a quick search there's loads of great ones: Speed, The Rock, T2, Point Break, Stone Cold, The Fugitive, Heat, Total Recall, Matrix, Con Air, Blade, Hard Target, The Long Kiss Goodnight, True Lies, Last Boy Scout, Leon, Face/Off. I'm going to even throw Cliffhanger and Daylight on the list too.

Watching the Fugitive right now, Harrison Ford is a pimp and all his 90s movies kicked ass. To be fair I was thinking of the Mummy with the Rock and haven’t really seen the original since it came out.

Watching the Fugitive right now, Harrison Ford is a pimp and all his 90s movies kicked ass. To be fair I was thinking of the Mummy with the Rock and haven’t really seen the original since it came out.
Ohh okay. Yeah the sequel. The trailer looked so bad at the time that I never watched it. Never saw any of those sequels actually.

There are some silent movies that I think are fantastic. I defy anyone to watch Buster Keaton in "One Week" or "Steamboat Bill, Jr." and not find them hysterical. Some movies are certainly of a time. I'm not sure I could stand "Easy Rider" today, except maybe the campfire scene with Nicholson. And some movies don't exactly stand up to close examination. "Pretty Woman" is about a sex worker. At the time, teenage girls saw it as a "Cinderella" story. Uh, nah, Cinderella wasn't in that occupation.

I personally find most movies in the 80's just haven't aged well.. more so comedies as opposed to action/horror. Maybe it's because I was more of a 90's/2000s kid, but so much of the 80s I just have a disdain for. Just the whole aesthetic of the 80s is unappealing to me.

I'll also throw a hot take in here: much of the movies 80's babes are not attractive in that style. Weird Science was on the other day, and the girl in that does nothing for me.

I personally find most movies in the 80's just haven't aged well.. more so comedies as opposed to action/horror. Maybe it's because I was more of a 90's/2000s kid, but so much of the 80s I just have a disdain for. Just the whole aesthetic of the 80s is unappealing to me.

I'll also throw a hot take in here: much of the movies 80's babes are not attractive in that style. Weird Science was on the other day, and the girl in that does nothing for me.
I was a 60s/70s kid and of all the decades the 60s have aged the worst. IMO.

Last edited:
There was a whole class of movies from the early days of the industry where they just took pictures of people doing things. Not really documentaries. People walking past the camera at a market. Or people building a bridge. The camera would just be there taking pictures. At the end of the day or so, they would develop the film and show it to the people of the area. The same people they took pictures of. There was an English company that did this for a few years. Can't remember the name.

People would put camera on trucks and just drive around. There's a fascinating one of San Francisco that was filmed shortly before the earthquake. There are pictures like that of New York or Paris. Not a story, but you can see how people walked and dressed. In the San Francisco one you can see people dodging street cars. Horse drawn wagons. Early flivvers. Only the vaguest kind of traffic lanes. People in hats. Women in high collared dresses.

The sound in this movie is invented sound added recently.

So why does the spacing between wagon/buggy wheels match up with the spacing between the rail tracks? The buggies even deliberately try to get both wheels in the grove. And most every buggy/wagon fits in those grooves. My thought is that it goes back to the spacing between Roman chariots' wheels.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT