ADVERTISEMENT

Minute allocation

K_TIME

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
-Mitchell 39 minutes…made sense with no big
-Reeves 34 minutes….not going to not pick but I think keep him 32 and under is wiser move
-Adou 31 minutes…again makes sense wjtb no size
- Edwards 29 minutes…Cal 5* special. Easy to see he needed not near that much clock
- Wagner 25 minutes …another Cal special. After Dilly and Reed first half …why DJ starts second half and maintains minutes…patented Cal favorite that he’s done for years
- Reed and Dillly 16 minutes a piece …..plain dumb Each of these guys along with Adou sparked Ky to big first half lead. They both should have been at 25 minutes a piece and shave it from Edwards, Reeves snd DJ

Cal sitting Reed with two fouls in first half is more of Cal dumb coaching that we’ve seen from day one. Reed finished with 3 fouls…so it usually doesn’t matter but he does it regardless

-Reeves 34 minutes….not going to not pick but I think keep him 32 and under is wiser move
- Edwards 29 minutes…Cal 5* special. Easy to see he needed not near that much clock
- Wagner 25 minutes …another Cal special. After Dilly and Reed first half …why DJ starts second half and maintains minutes…patented Cal favorite that he’s done for years
- Reed and Dillly 16 minutes a piece …..plain dumb Each of these guys along with Adou sparked Ky to big first half lead. They both should have been at 25 minutes a piece and shave it from Edwards, Reeves snd DJ

Cal sitting Reed with two fouls in first half is more of Cal dumb coaching that we’ve seen from day one. Reed finished with 3 fouls…so it usually doesn’t matter but he does it regardless
I am ok with the 2 foul approach. But starting Wagner the 2nd half is 100% Cal treating players differently. The 3 pointer Wagner took with 10 seconds left on the shot clock at the end of the 1st half was terrible and led to KU grabbing momentum at the half. I mean it wasn’t like Wagner was hot. Cal starting the same guys at the beginning of the 2nd half regardless of who is performing well is just terrible coaching. This game was winnable and like far too many over the past 6-7 years it is a loss.

Wagner won’t play a second less and Calipari will cost us everything over it. When are people going to learn none of this lineup projection, future recruit talk, pogo stick bigs back - gonna work when Calipari is still the one on the sideline.

We would have lost tonight with our bigs because he would have found a way.

I wanna play “lineup fun thread” too, but the sht don’t matter.

Wagner won’t play a second less and Calipari will cost us everything over it. When are people going to learn none of this lineup projection, future recruit talk, pogo stick bigs back - gonna work when Calipari is still the one on the sideline.

We would have lost tonight with our bigs because he would have found a way.

I wanna play “lineup fun thread” too, but the sht don’t matter.
This post is exactly why so many of us no longer buy into the whole "hEy LoOk WhO's CoMiNg NeXt YeAr" bullshyyte.

Reed and Rob should have played more for sure

Well until their last names change to Edwards and Wagner, they won’t.

Been obvious since day one Calipari was gonna ride or die with both. And we will die.

Prolly gonna watch News Nation during games this year. Easier to watch cringy cuomo get abused by light weight politicians begging for airtime…

Reactions: RunninRichie
And the worst part is, he won't recruit experienced transfer men over his five stars.
He's sh*t at that too. because he wont change his MOTHER TRUCKING on and off court styles. From the way he runs the team like a G league team preparing them for an NBA lifestyle like leaving shooting coaching most of the time is just up to the players (he has talked about this himself over the last 13 years a few times) to his SH*T offense with iso ball and not nearly enough of a system with a playbook to help get the best looks .

I am ok with the 2 foul approach. But starting Wagner the 2nd half is 100% Cal treating players differently. The 3 pointer Wagner took with 10 seconds left on the shot clock at the end of the 1st half was terrible and led to KU grabbing momentum at the half. I mean it wasn’t like Wagner was hot. Cal starting the same guys at the beginning of the 2nd half regardless of who is performing well is just terrible coaching. This game was winnable and like far too many over the past 6-7 years it is a loss.
Yep! Was driving to work and my wife was giving me play by play. She said he took a dumb shot. This must’ve been it. Ugh.

"Sheppard needs to be on the floor" - The $9 million man.

Cal let reed rot on the bench. If he plays while we re up 14 they don’t come back. That’s my opinion. Cal blew it

I agree with oP reed Rob Thiero all put it on the line tonight. 16 minutes for reed is malpractice. Rob had some fouls

IMO Adou was player of the game. Now that's a real DAWG. Not DJ and Edwards. Guy will be a total beast for us.
Yeah, I think we have some guys who are just assuming they’re going to be first round picks. And then we have Thiero who is playing his way into being a first round pick.

The dude will always be the fourth or fifth option in any offense, but he’ll also average a double double as a clean-up guy.

Last edited:
Here is the bottom line with this team even if/when the bigs play down the road.

1. There is zero reason to play dudes much over 32 minutes. Guys need to strain much harder and run till their lungs fall out and then simply rest for 5-8 minutes and go right back at it to use our depth. No jogging back on offense, etc...full head down sprint and push pace. And on defense, play passing lanes a bit more (even if you give up baskets) to generate tempo, etc...

2. I think the 2 foul rule needs to go the toilet where it cost us the UNC Elite 8 Monk/Bam/Fox game for sure. To sit a guy 8 minutes into a game with 2 fouls is exactly how you end up with these un-even minute distributions. And if a guy fouls out....he fouls out and we move on....again our depth should be able to mitigate this and if at end of game we can't play a Mitchell, Reed, Reeves, etc...then the difference to Dilly, Bradshaw, Wagner is just fine. Live with it.

But this another of Cal's handful of silliness that many overloook.

Yeah, lot of fans haven't even looked at the minutes each played. Taking Shep out late and losing the lead was when they gained control, over that one stupid substitution that should not have happened.

Well until their last names change to Edwards and Wagner, they won’t.

Been obvious since day one Calipari was gonna ride or die with both. And we will die.

Prolly gonna watch News Nation during games this year. Easier to watch cringy cuomo get abused by light weight politicians begging for airtime…
The sad thing is Edwards and Wagner would probably perform better if the minutes were swapped, took some pressure off them to perform and just let them play, and earn those extra minutes too.

Agree totally. Guess we are in for another non coaching season and we have good talent. Surely the 7 footers will help overcome Cal’s stupidity.

People didn't put much stock into the Blue/White game, and I get it to some extent because its an exhibition and "glorified scrimmage", but anyone that watched that game saw Reed and Dillingham not just beat, but dominate Wagner and Edwards. I mean they were up double digits and by as much as 20 in that game. And defense was being played, despite what people want to say.

There are athletes that are flashy and then there are dudes that know how to win basketball games. Reed Sheppard knows how to win basketball games. Justin Edwards doesn't. Period.

Dilly got red hot and Cal yanked him to not take Wagner's heart who was chucking bricks all.night.long.
Dilly got red hot and Cal gave him a few minutes on the bench so he could catch his breath. This team was absolutely gassed by the end of the game and to me that's the huge reason Kansas won. Sometimes guys need a rest.

1. There is zero reason to play dudes much over 32 minutes. Guys need to strain much harder and run till their lungs fall out and then simply rest for 5-8 minutes and go right back at it to use our depth. No jogging back on offense, etc...full head down sprint and push pace.

2. I think the 2 foul rule needs to go
Agree on the mins. Big time. Problem is on number 2, where the other team will attack the man with 2 fouls. Turn into a defensive liability.

Reactions: sjjones
Dilly got red hot and Cal gave him a few minutes on the bench so he could catch his breath. This team was absolutely gassed by the end of the game and to me that's the huge reason Kansas won. Sometimes guys need a rest.
I don't think UK was anymore gassed than KU. Dickinson, Harris and McCullers played 37 minutes a piece. UK simply got ice cold from 3pt (which happens) and the game slowed down (which also happens as possessions become more half court at end of games). And UK had no answer inside for Dickinson.

In the end, Cal let Wagner play 25 minutes and 1-12 from FG....whereas Dilly/Reed played 16 minutes a piece in a game where they both shot well from 3pt land and were playmaking from others. And this is typical for Cal to play guys like Livingston, Boston, etc....

I don't think UK was anymore gassed than KU. Dickinson, Harris and McCullers played 37 minutes a piece. UK simply got ice cold from 3pt (which happens) and the game slowed down (which also happens as possessions become more half court at end of games). And UK had no answer inside for Dickinson.

In the end, Cal let Wagner play 25 minutes and 1-12 from FG....whereas Dilly/Reed played 16 minutes a piece in a game where they both shot well from 3pt land and were playmaking from others. And this is typical for Cal to play guys like Livingston, Boston, etc....

Dilly fouled out n 16 minutes. So he's out.

I agree shep should have played more. Do we have the breakdown of first half minutes vs 2nd half? Dumb 2 foul rule.

And edwards played 29 mins because there was no one else, same with thiero and Mitchell. Our forward and center positions have 0 depth at present.

Dilly wasn't in a great foul situation in the second half. I thought Cal was trying to protect him a bit from that but he ultimately picked up his third foul very quickly and proceeded to foul out. Reed also didn't get enough time in the first half due to his second foul, and it was the right call to bench a freshman against the #1 team in the country after two fouls in the first half.

But either way, I'm at least giving it until SEC play before I get too worked up over who's getting minutes. When the three big guys come back there simply won't be enough minutes for everyone, so let's see what the rotations look like at that point.

Reactions: megablue

As others have said, get used to it, Cal's special players don't get benched and they don't get minutes cut, that is the deal he makes with them to get them to sign.

When you are like 0 for 12 and you take the ball up the court, pass to absolutely no one, then jack up another ugly 3, you MUST sit your ass down on the bench. This shouldn't even be up for debate. You cannot just let a player be that selfish to the detriment of the team, and if it continues to happen the team is going to burn itself down because they won't tolerate the special treatment.

Sorry, you must if you have a coach instead of an agent making the decisions.

Cal sat Reed with 2 fouls, that's what Cal does - love it or hate it, Reed's playing time had nothing to do about how many stars are next to his name, it has to do with Cal's long-time philosophy of sitting a player with 2 fouls in the first half.

Edwards played too much, I agree with you. But unless you're going to play Burks those mins, then he has to play, especially with Reed in foul trouble. Context matters here. Cal is trying to keep length on the court, and you really only had 4 options - Mitchell, Adou, Edwards, and Burks.

Wagner didn't look good at all. But again, he had to play more mins in the 1st half than he deserved because Reed grabbed 2 fouls

Let's keep this in mind: with benching Reed in the 1st half after grabbing 2 fouls - the Cats were still one buzzer beater away from going into halftime with a 10-point lead. So it's not like sitting Reed killed us

Wagner worries me, because I do agree, with who his family is and how much we pined for him, I don't see a scenario where he doesn't get all the minutes he wants.

That's going to be what holds us back. IF Wagner is not that guy, he has to be a 2nd unit player.

Wagner worries me, because I do agree, with who his family is and how much we pined for him, I don't see a scenario where he doesn't get all the minutes he wants.

That's going to be what holds us back. IF Wagner is not that guy, he has to be a 2nd unit player.
He is going to have to struggle mightily in order for this to happen. Best case scenario is that he struggles against the weak competition, and it doesn’t cost us any wins.

He should have rested Wagner and Edwards.

- Reed and Dillly 16 minutes a piece …..plain dumb
What's happening with these two kinda reminds me of the way it took Cal SO damn long to finally realize that Quickley should be playing ahead of guys like Whitney and Hagans. Sometimes it seems Cal gets so blinded by what the recruit rankings and NBA scouting reports say that he misses what's going on right in front of his face on the court.

I'm still holding out hope that Wagner will become the superstud he was hyped to be ...but honestly, Sheppard and Dillingham have consistently looked better to me going all the way back to those summer exhibitions. At some point Cal may have to admit it too.

But I hope I'm wrong and we see the promised version of Wagner soon.

Sometimes it seems Cal gets so blinded by what the recruit rankings and NBA scouting reports say that he misses what's going on right in front of his face on the court.
I think it's just that Cal wants to give guys as much time to develop as possible. The fact is this team is obviously better if a guy like Wagner is elite come March. As much as people hate hearing it, that process starts now. You don't put it on the back burner in mid-November.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT