ADVERTISEMENT

Met a UL hall of famer tonight

Jul 21, 2015
I struck up a conversation this evening w/ an elderly fellow in hodgenville. It started with me overhearing him talking about his golf game, so I asked him where he played. To recap the conversation: dude was 86 years old, 3 handicap who still plays 5 days a week at the Larue Co. Country Club. As the conversation went on I found out he is in the UL basketball hall of fame. He played in the early 50's. When I asked him if he'd played against Ralph Beard, he laughed and said that Ralph was just a bit ahead of him, and that Ralph had married his high school sweetheart.

Guy's name was Corky Cox. Any of you old timers remember him? Seemed to be a fine fellow.

From the thread title I assumed you meant THIS hall of famer...
Katina_Powell_at_IBJ_2col.jpg

Lucky You...you should immediately scrub anything he touched with disinfectant...you will thank us later...Katina's Louisville...all you have to know....

Hmmmmmm...

The gentleman looked to be 85 or possibly older?

You say this guy was associated with Uavel basketball?

And he gave you his name as Corky Cox?

My friend, you were talking to lil Ricky.

Reactions: bigbluelou
I struck up a conversation this evening w/ an elderly fellow in hodgenville. It started with me overhearing him talking about his golf game, so I asked him where he played. To recap the conversation: dude was 86 years old, 3 handicap who still plays 5 days a week at the Larue Co. Country Club. As the conversation went on I found out he is in the UL basketball hall of fame. He played in the early 50's. When I asked him if he'd played against Ralph Beard, he laughed and said that Ralph was just a bit ahead of him, and that Ralph had married his high school sweetheart.

Guy's name was Corky Cox. Any of you old timers remember him? Seemed to be a fine fellow.
Corky even pre-dates my basketball memory!

But he's a Kentucky kid who deserves a hat tip. He played for UL before they were slimeballs.

Reactions: TeoJ and Frackle82
Corky Cox... Wow! What were his parents thinking? Name a kid that now and he have so many emotional problems by the time he hit puberty that he'd be in a mental institution. Different era I guess.

UL in the 'old days' was similar to Western, Eastern, Murray and Morehead. UK fans rooted for our home state teams too.

The venom started (for me) in the 70's with Denny the Crum.

UL in the 'old days' was similar to Western, Eastern, Murray and Morehead. UK fans rooted for our home state teams too.

Corky was my high school coach and he is my daughter in laws grandfather, yes we have converted her. He's not your typical ul blow hard. I think he is embarrassed by all the crap going on there.

There may have been a time that UL and their Fans weren't slime and idiots,but it was long before me and I'm an AARP member.

Can't stand UL these days but there was an era of UL sports that I'm sure they were not hated by UK fans and weren't anywhere close to the scum programs they now conduct at their school. Mr. Cox sounds like a stand up guy from a different era and I wouldn't hold it against him that he went to UL from way back when. I just would be embarrassed today to tell anyone I went to UL if I were a recent or current student from that school. Their reputation has crumbled immensely.

Can't stand UL these days but there was an era of UL sports that I'm sure they were not hated by UK fans and weren't anywhere close to the scum programs they now conduct at their school. Mr. Cox sounds like a stand up guy from a different era and I wouldn't hold it against him that he went to UL from way back when. I just would be embarrassed today to tell anyone I went to UL if I were a recent or current student from that school. Their reputation has crumbled immensely.
How things have changed. Corky Cox was just before my time but a name I had heard. When he played UL was a stand up program and a respected institution of higher learning.

There may have been a time that UL and their Fans weren't slime and idiots,but it was long before me and I'm an AARP member.
Bluest Member, I may be a little older than you (been AARP guy for 25 years). So maybe it's just me...but in the 50's/60's UL was not really a rival. And Peck Hickman surely wasn't an A-hole like Denny (early on) and Rick.

Heck, I rooted for them in '59 after UL knocked us out of the tournament. Maybe I was isolated from their fans since I lived in Northeastern Ky.

Reactions: Smashcat

Really wasn't that long ago. I was born and raised in Louisville, and, at one time, I remember pulling for UL and most of their fans did the same for UK. Then, along came Denny, with his, "why won't they play us" agenda. That is when they started saying that we didn't play UL because UK was afraid of them, or that UK was racist and didn't want to play against their black athletes, and every other nonsensical excuse you can imagine. Until then, both schools coexisted quite well. They weren't even a powerhouse in the MVC. Once they tasted a little success, their egos, their hatred for UK, and their imaginations grew to biblical proportions. And today, you can see the finished product. Just visit their board, and judge for yourself. But, in Mr. Cox's era, it wasn't so.

Bingo! Three of my favorite players from the 50s were Johnny Cox, Vernon Hatton & UofLs Charlie Tyra. John Dromo & Peck Hickman were stand-up guys
Obviously, I rooted for the Cats But there was not the animosity towards UL like it is today.
Denny Crum changed all of that & it has continued to get worse.

Reactions: uky8unc5
Bluest Member, I may be a little older than you (been AARP guy for 25 years). So maybe it's just me...but in the 50's/60's UL was not really a rival. And Peck Hickman surely wasn't an A-hole like Denny (early on) and Rick.

Heck, I rooted for them in '59 after UL knocked us out of the tournament. Maybe I was isolated from their fans since I lived in Northeastern Ky.
No,you guys are right,it didn't get crappy until Denny Crum was hired and they started the scared to play UL stuff that became unbearable in the 80's after they actually won something,I'm from Northern Ky Boone-Kenton-Campbell county area,but lived in Louisville for a year in 86',I worked with several obnoxious UL Fans then and I guess it tainted my perception of them forever.I have a high school friend that somehow turned out to be a UL Fan even though it was all UK in my area,he fits in with them as he later served time in prison over drug charges,is so delusional and obnoxious with his UK Hate that I had to block him on Facebook,I kept telling the fool where UL was headed,but he was too blind to see it.

Reactions: uky8unc5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT