ADVERTISEMENT

Pete Rose denied HoF entry once again

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
Rangers land 2024 MLB ASG; Rob Manfred talks Pete Rose, FTX

In a news conference at MLB's offices Thursday, Manfred also addressed the letter sent by baseball legend Pete Rose, who pleaded for a chance to be considered for the Hall of Fame and again apologized for his 1980s gambling scandal. As Manfred has stated in the past, he believes players who bet on baseball belong on the permanently ineligible list.

"When I dealt with the issue the last time he applied for reinstatement, I made clear that I didn't think the function of that baseball list was the same as the eligibility criteria for the Hall of Fame," Manfred said. "That remains my position. I think it's a conversation that really belongs in the Hall of Fame board. I'm on that board, and it's just not appropriate for me to get in front of that conversation."

Never forget, Rose was the person who requested his lifetime ban in the first place, in exchange for MLB stopping its investigation into his personal affairs -- which we know now was because Dowd had uncovered that Rose is a child rapist.

Pete Rose Drops Defamation Suit Against John Dowd over Statutory Rape Claims

Rose's initial complaint stemmed from comments Dowd made in 2015 on Pennsylvania radio station WCHE-AM. According to Weinbaum, Dowd alleged an old associate of Rose's, Michael Bertolini, disclosed Rose "ran young girls for him down in spring training, ages 12 to 14."

"Isn't that lovely? So that's statutory rape every time you do that," Dowd added.

Personally, I'm in this camp:

Forget reinstatement for Pete Rose, MLB should finally sever all ties

Beyond that, Rose’s other reprehensible actions brought to light — again — in Philadelphia this summer show why baseball should never again reinstate Rose. If anything, the Philadelphia experience is evidence that baseball should once and forever completely cut ties. No sanctioned appearances, no team activities, nothing. He does not deserve anything.

In early August, Pete Rose was honored at the Phillies game, along with his teammates from the club’s 1980 World Series-winning team. Baseball gave the club permission to invite Rose, which was necessary because he is on the banned list.

When at the game, Philadelphia Inquirer baseball reporter Alex Coffey asked Rose about the revelation in court in 2017 that Rose had a sexual relationship with a teenager in Ohio — she said in court filings that she was 14 or 15 but Rose said he thought she was 16 — and Rose dismissed the question.

He said, “I’m not here to talk about that. Sorry about that. It was 55 years ago, babe.”

When asked again about it, by a different reporter, Rose said. “And who cares what happened 50 years ago? You weren’t even born. So you shouldn’t be talking about it, because you weren’t born. If you don’t know a damn thing about it, don’t talk about it.”

Sorry, Pete. Statutory rape might have a legal statute of limitations, but there is no moral end date for being held accountable for actions that heinous.

Rose’s excuse for his actions? “Based upon my information and belief at that time, she was sixteen”

That’s it. It’s not a joke. His excuse as reported in court filings is, basically, “I thought she was 16.”

I don't see how anyone can still defend this scumbag at this point.

I used to until one time I saw him at a card show. Now I know that just like the other cheaters out there denied entry, he deserves what he got. Truth be told, he probably did a lot more for a longer time than he got nailed for. And he’s not a bit sorry. His arrogance and ego, is sooner let Bonds, McGwire or Sosa in before him. They cheated themselves by using the steroids.

Reactions: J_Dee

Never forget, Rose was the person who requested his lifetime ban in the first place, in exchange for MLB stopping its investigation into his personal affairs -- which we know now was because Dowd had uncovered that Rose is a child rapist.

Dude I get it. But Ty Cobb is in and so are a million other shitheads. As they say, we’re talking about the baseball hall of fame not the good person hall of fame. Let’s just look at what they do in that sport, not their whole life. He’s the hit leader, he should be in.

OJ Simpson is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Apparently the feeling is what he did as a player stands apart from whatever happened after that. His plaque doesn't mention anything but his football career highlights.

I have never heard anything that suggests Pete Rose cheated while compiling the on-the-field achievements as a player that would make him a slam dunk for the hall of fame.

Put the gambling, and his lying about it, on Rose's plaque. But the baseball hall of fame is incomplete without a plaque for Pete Rose.

The Hall of Fame should be mostly a place for fans to celebrate the deeds of great players, not a private club for great players to exclude those whose personal life didn't measure up.

I'm dead-set against letting in McGwire or Bonds of Sosa because their cheating directly altered the reason for including them. Rose's gambling did not.

Last edited:

The age of consent in Ohio at that time was 16.

Rose deserves to be in the baseball HoF.

OJ Simpson is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Apparently the feeling is what he did as a player stands apart from whatever happened after that. His plaque doesn't mention anything but his football career highlights.

I have never heard anything that suggests Pete Rose cheated while compiling the on-the-field achievements as a player that would make him a slam dunk for the hall of fame.

Put the gambling, and his lying about it, on Rose's plaque. But the baseball hall of fame is incomplete without a plaque for Pete Rose.

The Hall of Fame should be mostly a place for fans to celebrate the deeds of great players, not a private club for great players to exclude those whose personal life didn't measure up.

I'm dead-set against letting in McGwire or Bonds of Sosa because their cheating directly altered the reason for including them. Rose's gambling did not.
Agree with ALL of that besides the Sosa, McGuire Bonds part. It wasn’t technically against the rules to use steroids for most of their run. Literally the MLB had no rule against what they did. Without McGuire and Sosa baseball might be completely dead so who cares? Most of any of your favorite players in any sport are on PEDs I PROMISE you even if it’s just testosterone.

Most HOFers did greenies or meth or blow and no one says they shouldn’t be in the HOF. Or are steroids the only PED that matters?

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
As a life long Reds fan since 1974. I think Rose is a poor excuse for a human being. He does not belong in the Hall. However should they put Bonds and the others in. Then they should put Rose in for what he did as a player on the field. Also put in Joe Jackson. By all accounts Jackson couldn't read or write. It's been over 100 years. Let him in if you let the others.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
What he did is way, way, way worse than steroids. Not even close.
I can agree with that. I look to his teammates. Joe Morgan always had his back but Morgan knew. Johnny Bench is a stand up guy and he has given his honest assessment of him. As he gets older he may get more contrite but in a lot of ways he’s exactly like Ty Cobb. Just an asshole til the end.

I really don’t know why it means so much to him. He’s one of the greatest ever. His record stands. He’s got three World Series rings. You need a spot in a museum to know you were among the best?

I stopped giving a shit once he admitted to this after years of lying.

Nobody will ever convince me that degenerate gambler Rose never bet against the Reds while he was a manager.

So when he has some no name 5th starter going up against Fernando Valenzuela or Dwight Gooden, he bet for the Reds? No friggin way.

I also think MLB knows this and has sat on it. That was part of the lifetime ban agreed to by Rose. He knew everything would change if that got out.

Just my opinion. Keep him out.

What is it with baseball and the hall of fame? Why do people give such a shit about it? It’s the only sport where people make a big deal out of it.

Because it's baseball. That is the explanation in a nutshell and why it is the greatest sport in the world.

Reactions: sefleming

Pete was certainly no saint but the assertion you made is meritless. Pete admits a relationship with 1 girl in Ohio. He thought she was 16 (legal) she says she was 15 (statutory rape). The larger point Dowd claimed as running even younger girls to Pete during spring training. Dowd says he got that info from 1 person, Bertolini and Bertolini says that it is "entirely false in every respect".

Pete should be in the Hall of Fame. His reputation is permanently tarnished but no one will ever break his hits record. I suspect that he will quietly be added to the Hall of Fame posthumously.

Reactions: blubo
I heard Pete Rose bet against himself getting into the HOF and he is laughing all the way to the bank!! Charlie Hustle!!

He should be in. I love baseball but really don’t care about the HOF. In my Opinion, we should come with a strict criteria to put players in. Counting stats or WAR, I don’t care but the current voting system is just silly.

Because it's baseball. That is the explanation in a nutshell and why it is the greatest sport in the world.
Haha I love baseball but to say it’s the greatest sport in the world…well look at ratings. Soccer basketball/hockey and football all have more viewership. That doesn’t mean it’s not great just means people don’t care that much. Sandlot bball growing up was awesome and always will be.

Haha I love baseball but to say it’s the greatest sport in the world…well look at ratings. Soccer basketball/hockey and football all have more viewership. That doesn’t mean it’s not great just means people don’t care that much. Sandlot bball growing up was awesome and always will be.

Taylor Swift just sold a million tickets but she's barely above a garage band in terms of being the best musical artist. Viewership doesn't hold water in any list of criteria.

Taylor Swift just sold a million tickets but she's barely above a garage band in terms of being the best musical artist. Viewership doesn't hold water in any list of criteria.
Oh wow. Late entry into worst reply of the year.

100 million watched the last Super Bowl, which is more than the World Series.

1 billion watched the last World Cup final. Baseball might not be the greatest sport in the USA, let alone the world.

Reactions: weused2luvhim
2.4 million actually and she’s dope. She generated over 100 million in less than one hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildcatFan1982
Rose agreed to the lifetime ban in order to stop the investigation from continuing/releasing everything he was doing. As a huge Reds fan I have no issue with MLB upholding that agreement.

Oh man! This thread just crossed the line! If you can sell a seat for $20k, you are among the best garage bands that ever garaged!!!

#Swifties

Haters gonna hate. Vigilante Shit and Midnight Rain are bangers.

beauty-hair-2012-11-blunt-bangs-02.jpg

#bangers!

Reactions: roguemocha
No doubt Rose should be in the HOF. The HOF is for the best of the best players. Bonds and Clemens should be in. They were HOF players before steroids....not so much Mcgwire and Sosa.

Rose did not cheat to enhance his game, but rather betted to enhance his pocket book. Comical that is this even a debate. It is on Rose for taking that awful deal though.

Anyhow on Rose, some deals are made to be broken.

The Baseball Hall of Fame itself and those who vote need to be the ones who change the criteria for inclusion. MLB doesn't tell them how to do it or who to vote for. The writers have, in large part, been a haughty, pretentious bunch of self-important pricks who use their ballots as weapons to get their individual points across about their baseball playing counterparts.

You had guys who wouldn't vote for anyone who even played in the steroid era, John Fay types who would turn in a blank ballot, guys who wouldn't vote for black ballplayers for the longest time, guys who would purposefully leave a sure lock HoF-er just to keep that person from being the first unanimous player, guys who would put a 10-year marginal player (Jim DeShaies) on their ballot as a joke and favor to the player.

And then when you finally decide to give a guy a unanimous selection, you give it to a relief pitcher??? K Not Griffey, not Hank Aaron, not Mays, not Clemente, not Schmidt or Rickey Henderson or Tony Gwynn, but Mariano Rivera.

Clowns.

Why don't the Rose slurpers get this....everything he accomplished is represented there. All of it. His records are enshrined and fully acknowledged. He personally is left out because of what he did. He earned the right to be left out.

He had every chance to right his mistakes. Well beyond what most would have and refused. His name is there. He is not. It is his fault. Let it go.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT