ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis basketball falling apart..

I saw the light on Maui when Memphis ran UK off the Court. Actually I saw the light when UK lost to UAB in NCAA.
Tubby could not recruit period.

I'd have no problem with Rondo, Prince, Bogans, Magloire, etc...hell, I'd be down with Austin and Andre Hollins at this point.

Last edited:
We both know your tune in '08 was different. "Kentucky is the Norte dame of college basketball". "Cal won't leave Memphis for UK". "Memphis is the it program now".

Oops.

2008 was a blast just as I'm sure 1996 was fun for UMass right up until the NCAA investigators showed up...

Cal was leaving one way or another...if not UK, it would have been Arizona (opened before UK) as he knew the NCAA was bringing the hammer down.

I personally can't wait to see what Tubby Smith builds at Memphis.

Last edited:
I personally can't wait to see what Tubby Smith builds at Memphis.
giphy.gif

Reactions: UofMemphis
Dedric and KJ Lawson transferring out of the program. Dedric is a hell of a player.

Think the end of the road is near for Tubby

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Dedric and KJ Lawson transferring out of the program. Dedric is a hell of a player.

Think the end of the road is near for Tubby
Couldn't get it done with those two. Imagine next year without them. Tubby has to be in the top five over the last 20 years of players departing.

Reactions: k4d2g0
Thought Tubby would get that program to the tournament with local talent. Now I'm starting to see another train wreck.

Reactions: lonnie boyd
My Lord. But in all seriousness, what did Tubby expect when you recruit as poorly as he does?

Read somewhere on another site that Tubby's recruiting is on the current level on his last couple seasons at UK.

Reactions: willievic
My Lord. But in all seriousness, what did Tubby expect when you recruit as poorly as he does?

Read somewhere on another site that Tubby's recruiting is on the current level on his last couple seasons at UK.

Some of those recruiting classes at UK had to be all-time lows.

Kelenna Azubuike (#31 overall)
Antwain Barbour (Junior College)
Brandon Stockton
Bernard Cote

Shagari Alleyne
Bobby Perry
Woo Obrzut
Sherray Thomas

Jared Carter
Adam Williams
Rekalin Sims

It's rough. He'll get one more season down here likely and "retire". What they need is Richard Pitino.

Brandon Stockton
Bernard Cote

Shagari Alleyne
Bobby Perry
Woo Obrzut
Sherray Thomas

Jared Carter
Adam Williams
Rekalin Sims

Back around that time it was reported that Tubby said he could win with anybody.

Been there, done that...no surprises. Tubby is a great bench coach but nothing more than that.
He may have been a great bench coach once upon a time but he hasn't been one in a long long while. George Mason, VCU, Butler, Wichita St have all been to final 4's since he last came close to even sniffing one.

I've always wondered how long Tubby would've lasted if UK didn't make that amazing comeback against Duke in the 98 Elite 8

Reactions: KYExtemper
I'm still salty over the charge they called on Barbour in the Marquette game. We had all the momentum and the bucket and free throw would have cut it to single digits and that call took away all momentum. Higgins must have been on the call--haha!

IIRCC, that would have cut it to 5. Instead, stays at 7, and Marquette goes back down and scores. 4 point swing, and an atrocious call.

Jared Carter
Adam Williams
Rekalin Sims

The rumor was that Tubby never intended to offer Adam Williams a scholarship, but accidentally made the offer during a camp and didn't want to offend anyone by rescinding the offer. I'm not sure how anyone could possibly offer a scholarship on accident, but, if true, that has to be the weirdest recruiting job in UK Basketball history.

Reactions: d2atTech and Mike-D
The rumor was that Tubby never intended to offer Adam Williams a scholarship, but accidentally made the offer during a camp and didn't want to offend anyone by rescinding the offer. I'm not sure how anyone could possibly offer a scholarship on accident, but, if true, that has to be the weirdest recruiting job in UK Basketball history.

Seems like I read about this a long time ago. It wouldn't surprise me.

I also remember how every 3 star was the next Jordan. On here anyway. We pumped that sunshine.

Brandon Stockton
Bernard Cote

Shagari Alleyne
Bobby Perry
Woo Obrzut
Sherray Thomas

Jared Carter
Adam Williams
Rekalin Sims

2002 wasn't bad. a future pro in KaZ and a good starter in Barbour and Cote and Stockton were decent role players. But wow the 03 and 05 classes were HORRIBLE.

Thought Tubby would get that program to the tournament with local talent. Now I'm starting to see another train wreck.

Seriously, not even a knock on Tubby, but his style is POLAR OPPOSITE of the style of play that is Memphis basketball. There was a debate on this board a few weeks ago about how smart AD's are. Well, I do believe the Memphis AD is not exactly in the smart category.

Does anyone really think that Memphis kids want to play in a system that scores 60 points a game?

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Lol

Pastner hired their dad. Guessing Tubby demoting the dad didn't help.

Thinking Cal steers way clear of this duo.

Reactions: musrat59
when they had Cal , Memphis acted like they had the money and resources to compete with anyone.

Doesn't seem like they want to ever see a title game again.

Reactions: Saven
How has it fallen apart?

He had a less talented team than Pastner's last season and they had a better record.

Give him 2-3 years and they'll be an above average program getting to the tourney.

How has it fallen apart?

He had a less talented team than Pastner's last season and they had a better record.

Give him 2-3 years and they'll be an above average program getting to the tourney.

Is that the goal? I mean, that's why you'd hire a coach like Tubby at this point, but to go from Cal to Pastner to Tubby....its more of an admission than a direction.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT