ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis basketball falling apart..

Tubby will make 2.9 million next season and turns 66 next month...if he doesn't want to get out there and work, he'll have to 'retire' before he makes 70.

Well he had all the tools and tradition behind him here at U.K. and didn't want to work for it here. If Memphis wants to be relevant again they will need to retire Tubby asap.

Well he had all the tools and tradition behind him here at U.K. and didn't want to work for it here. If Memphis wants to be relevant again they will need to retire Tubby asap.

my thing is, if easy and cushy is what he wanted...stay at Tech...they'll be pleased as punch with 18-20 win seasons and the occasional NCAA tourney when the bubble is weak.

if he wants to work and actually recruit, then he could rebuild his reputation here (and ours)...I'd love to see it but it's up to him.

I mean, the talented kids are right here in our backyard...just go get em, coach!

Reactions: deplion
my thing is, if easy and cushy is what he wanted...stay at Tech...they'll be pleased as punch with 18-20 win seasons and the occasional NCAA tourney when the bubble is weak.

if he wants to work and actually recruit, then he could rebuild his reputation here (and ours)...I'd love to see it but it's up to him.

I mean, the talented kids are right here in our backyard...just go get em, coach!

If he wants to work....and rebuild his reputation. That's just it.....he doesn't want to work and he doesn't care about his rep

...if he wants to work and actually recruit...it's up to him... the talented kids are right here...just go get em, coach!
GIF_149277_cuando_un_amigo_te_dice_que_no_volvera_a_beber_nunca_mas.gif

You'll learn -- just like we did, just like Minnesota did, just like Texas Tech did...

^ Texas Tech offered him a raise and extension to stay....I'm serious, if he wanted easy, he should have taken that counter offer and thanked Memphis for the easy raise.

if he doesn't work on the recruiting trail and take Memphis to the NCAAs...he won't make it to 70 here.

^ Texas Tech offered him a raise and extension to stay....I'm serious, if he wanted easy, he should have taken that counter offer and thanked Memphis for the easy raise.

if he doesn't work on the recruiting trail and take Memphis to the NCAAs...he won't make it to 70 here.

You will discover that Donna Smith is the key. Whatever she wants and where she wants to go will dictate what Tubby does. True story!!!!

I appreciate what Cal did here and we were lucky to get 9 years...that said, historically Memphis has made runs on the back of Memphis kids.

Tubby is good at Xs and Os...if he can get a few of those local kids I listed to stay home, there's no reason we can't get to the NCAAs and win a game or two...we're not asking for miracles.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatsnRoses
At this point in his career (record the last ten years and age), people honestly think Tubby Smith is going to bring their program up to a national level.

Come on folks

At this point in his career (record the last ten years and age), people honestly think Tubby Smith is going to bring their program up to a national level.

Come on folks

hell, at this point I'll take 21-23 wins and knocking off UCLA in the first round of the NCAAs (like he did at Minny)

Very few were more vocal as supporters of Tubby at UK than me.

I was WRONG. And Memphis is smoking Wacky Weed if they think OTS will somehow become what he never yet has been.

First of all, you don't have tons of talent in your backyard and most of them are highly overrated anyway. OH KING OF MEMPHIS JOE!!!! Please.

Second of all, most of those players have filthy handlers and worse parents. Memphis, yuck. Good luck getting Tubby to deal with them.

Just buckle up. You're gonna want him gone soon

Reactions: musrat59
First of all, you don't have tons of talent in your backyard and most of them are highly overrated anyway. OH KING OF MEMPHIS JOE!!!! Please.

Second of all, most of those players have filthy handlers and worse parents. Memphis, yuck. Good luck getting Tubby to deal with them.

Just buckle up. You're gonna want him gone soon

uh, Joe Jackson kept his nose clean and won games here...I'd love to have another Joe

2011: 25-10 NCAA First Round
2012: 26-9 NCAA First Round
2013: 31-5 NCAA Second Round
2014: 24-10 NCAA Second Round

things fell apart for Pastner at Memphis after Joe left....that's when Kuran Iverson transferred.

Reactions: TheWizardofOz12
uh, Joe Jackson kept his nose clean and won games here...I'd love to have another Joe

2011: 25-10 NCAA First Round
2012: 26-9 NCAA First Round
2013: 31-5 NCAA Second Round
2014: 24-10 NCAA Second Round

things fell apart for Pastner at Memphis after Joe left....that's when Kuran Iverson transferred.

Well he wasn't involved in gang activity or inciting riots or prostitution stings like former Memphis greats, but as the self titled "king of Memphis" blue chipper he was a let down. Definitely not worthy of blue chip status, maybe top 50. And that's how most Memphis city basketball kids are. Usually overrated. I can't really remember one that played at Memphis who lived up to the hype.

You will want Tubby fired within two years. Trust us. You should have hired Forbes.

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
Well he wasn't involved in gang activity or inciting riots or prostitution stings like former Memphis greats, but as the self titled "king of Memphis" blue chipper he was a let down. Definitely not worthy of blue chip status, maybe top 50. And that's how most Memphis city basketball kids are. Usually overrated. I can't really remember one that played at Memphis who lived up to the hype.

You will want Tubby fired within two years. Trust us. You should have hired Forbes.

yeah, who would want guys like Elliot Perry or Penny Hardaway?

Forbes has a show cause...no thanks...Memphis will not hire a coach who's been sanctioned again...Pastner and Tubby are squeaky clean.

the first four years of Tubby's deal are guaranteed money and he deserves that long...if it doesn't work out he can just 'retire' and we'll hire someone else.

the names got rough after Tubby....Lorenzo Romar, Tad Boyle, Penny?

yeah, who would want guys like Elliot Perry or Penny Hardaway?

Forbes has a show cause...no thanks...Memphis will not hire a coach who's been sanctioned again...Pastner and Tubby are squeaky clean.

the first four years of Tubby's deal are guaranteed money and he deserves that long...if it doesn't work out he can just 'retire' and we'll hire someone else.

the names got rough after Tubby....Lorenzo Romar, Tad Boyle, Penny?

But then that's another 4 years of the Memphis brand being pounded into the ground further and further. On top of the Grizzlies destroying your program, the apathy created by terrible hires like Pastner and Tubby only makes it worse. Just listen to you now vs. 8 years ago. Being from Memphis originally and coaching high school ball here, I know the people. You guys talked more sht about being prominent than anyone in the country. I guess at least you now know your place. The cellar. And I don't think you ever get back. I don't think anyone really cares. UK nuked your program, and your incompetent AD's took care of the rest. There's no BIG12 for you either, so you're stuck in mid major land forever. Enjoy.

And did you hear about Pastner loading up Will Barton's family to go to UM while Cal was in China. One of your former beats who's national and a good friend of mine was going to run with it but it lost traction. No, Pastner was not clean. Memphis isn't clean. Never has been.

But then that's another 4 years of the Memphis brand being pounded into the ground further and further. On top of the Grizzlies destroying your program, the apathy created by terrible hires like Pastner and Tubby only makes it worse. Just listen to you now vs. 8 years ago. Being from Memphis originally and coaching high school ball here, I know the people. You guys talked more sht about being prominent than anyone in the country. I guess at least you now know your place. The cellar. And I don't think you ever get back. I don't think anyone really cares. UK nuked your program, and your incompetent AD's took care of the rest. There's no BIG12 for you either, so you're stuck in mid major land forever. Enjoy.

And did you hear about Pastner loading up Will Barton's family to go to UM while Cal was in China. One of your former beats who's national and a good friend of mine was going to run with it but it lost traction. No, Pastner was not clean. Memphis isn't clean. Never has been.

lol, so much attempted trolling here...you can keep that crap over at the 'kids table'

I've watched the Tigers draw 15-16,000 to FedExForum consistently while the Grizz go to playoffs...I mean, without the Grizzlies the Tigers would be playing in a rundown 20,000 seat Pyramid from the mid 90s...THAT would be terrible.

Pastner wasted talent like Kuran Iverson and Tarik Black while turning Memphis into an 18-19 win team.

folks said Memphis was 'done and would never return' in the 70s after Bartow took the Tigers to the NCAA title game....then after Keith Lee took Memphis a Final Four in the 80s folks once again said 'Memphis is done and will never return'...Larry Finch recruited local kids like Elliot Perry and Penny Hardaway taking them to an Elite Eight and Sweet 16 in the 90s...people yet again said Memphis was done...you know happened after that? John Calipari...

so I have to laugh when you say "know your place. The cellar. And I don't think you ever get back." because we've heard it all before.

Last edited:
lol, so much attempted trolling here...you can keep that crap over at the 'kids table'

I've watched the Tigers draw 15-16,000 to FedExForum consistently while the Grizz go to playoffs...I mean, without the Grizzlies the Tigers would be playing in a rundown 20,000 Pyramid from the mid 90s...THAT would be terrible.

Pastner wasted talent like Kuran Iverson and Tarik Black while turning Memphis into an 18-19 win team.

folks said Memphis was 'done and would never return' in the 70s after Bartow took the Tigers to the NCAA title game....then after Keith Lee took Memphis a Final Four in the 80s folks once again said 'Memphis is done and will never return'...Larry Finch recruited local kids like Elliot Perry and Penny Hardaway taking them to an Elite Eight and Sweet 16 in the 90s...people yet again said Memphis was done...you know happened after that? John Calipari...

so I have to laugh when you say "know your place. The cellar. And I don't think you ever get back." because we've heard it all before.

Well, in fairness to you you've never realy been "there". You've had a decent program albeit overrated. When you consider the fact that Tennessee is nearly as good of a basketball program (they own you head to head as well) it's not like you're a top 20 program or anything.

As far as Memphis apathy towards the program, it's at an all time high. People only really care about the Grizzlies nowadays and Memphis has become even more irrelevant than before. And something else that different from the Older eras for Memphis is conference affiliation. The Metro was a damn good league. Early years of CUSA was a good league. The conference shifts and programs like Louisville leaving Memphis behind changed the entire conversation. Uconn and Memphis were left out of the big boys table. Denial is fine, but you'll see, just like I told all of my Memphis friends in 2008 that it wouldn't last.

Memphis is a mid major in an era when most programs of its size were accepted into bigger conferences. You don't have it. Enjoy the end of Memphis tiger basketball. Maybe Martin can put some decent teams together, or just be an ole miss fan.

I saw the light on Maui when Memphis ran UK off the Court. Actually I saw the light when UK lost to UAB in NCAA.
Tubby could not recruit period.

Losing locks in T Hansboro / B Wright to UNC and watching as they won a title with them was the straw that broke the camels back. Had Cal been at UK in those days Wright would have definitely been a Cat, and probably Hans too.

I think one of the things that hurt Tubby's recruiting was the style he played. Recruits seem to prefer the get up and down the court style. So, I can see why he started recruiting 3/4 star players hoping they would mature into c'ship caliper players. We know how that worked out.
This helps me understand why Cal recruits the best players available; which is somewhat a two-edged sword itself.

Reactions: musrat59
Well, in fairness to you you've never realy been "there". You've had a decent program albeit overrated. When you consider the fact that Tennessee is nearly as good of a basketball program (they own you head to head as well) it's not like you're a top 20 program or anything.

As far as Memphis apathy towards the program, it's at an all time high. People only really care about the Grizzlies nowadays and Memphis has become even more irrelevant than before. And something else that different from the Older eras for Memphis is conference affiliation. The Metro was a damn good league. Early years of CUSA was a good league. The conference shifts and programs like Louisville leaving Memphis behind changed the entire conversation. Uconn and Memphis were left out of the big boys table. Denial is fine, but you'll see, just like I told all of my Memphis friends in 2008 that it wouldn't last.

Memphis is a mid major in an era when most programs of its size were accepted into bigger conferences. You don't have it. Enjoy the end of Memphis tiger basketball. Maybe Martin can put some decent teams together, or just be an ole miss fan.

get.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT