ADVERTISEMENT

Wolken on this UK team

UK would have a better chance of firing Calipari for lower attendance or not doing his radio show than they would "cause" as it relates to on court performance. Its been discussed at length in the past.

The program in writing his contract was more concerned about him not getting UK in any trouble with the NCAA than it was about winning (what does that say about the relationship between Cal and Barnhart really?)

presumably they *didn't* have to talk about Calipari in regards to winning, just not cheating to make it happen.

Its just another short sighted issued with Barnhart who , just like with Gillespie, is a single issue AD and doesn't think down the line.

To write a contract making him the highest paid coach in the nation devoid of any requirement for on court performance is absurd. I'm sure Calipari's lawyer had a hand in writing it.

Last edited:
Legally, Calipari has done nothing, that we know of, to justify termination for cause
By the terms of his contract we are stuck with him

I want him gone as much as anyone, but it’ll have to ultimately be his decision. One can only hope that enough pressure is brought to entice him to make that decision

UK and Cal will work out a deal, especially if this season ends anything like I think it will.

If Calipari was convicted of armed robbery, are you telling me we’d still owe him his millions? Where did you get your law degree?
WOW. That's a straw man if I've ever seen one.

The guy said nothing Cal has done gives UK Cause. And people wanting to claim cause are wrong.

"IF" Calipari were convicted of armed Robbery, then sure, they would have cause. But ya know, he hasn't. So you're just throwing crp at the wall rather than discussing the original point--there currently is no caus.e

Reactions: Midway Cat
WOW. That's a straw man if I've ever seen one.

The guy said nothing Cal has done gives UK Cause. And people wanting to claim cause are wrong.

"IF" Calipari were convicted of armed Robbery, then sure, they would have cause. But ya know, he hasn't. So you're just throwing crp at the wall rather than discussing the original point--there currently is no caus.e
For cause is a legal term that refers to the following actions1:
  • Gross negligence or gross neglect
  • The commission of a felony or gross misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, fraud, or dishonesty
  • The willful violation of any law, rule, or regulation (other than a traffic violation or similar offense)
  • An intentional failure to perform stated duties
  • A breach of fiduciary duty involving personal profit

If Calipari was convicted of armed robbery, are you telling me we’d still owe him his millions? Where did you get your law degree?
Lol. Convicted of armed robbery would be a felony, which is one of the specific examples his contract gives of something that would be enough to fire him for cause.

(d) The word “cause,” as used herein shall mean the occurrence of any of the following:
(iii) Acts of misconduct including, but not limited to, conviction of a felony…

I guarantee he is guilty of this one. I’ve thought for a while that he gets kickbacks from agents. He’s a really greedy man and the way he plays certain players over others. Cal is getting paid!

He is the only coach in NCAA history to have 2 FF’s vacated at two different schools. I wish they would go ahead and catch him up on it now.

Even if he has to provide documentation of him getting paid anonymously he will when he’s ready to step down.

He tries burning programs to the ground upon exit. He despises KY and the fans. He’s going to blow our program up. And he will walk away unscathed like he did at UMASS and Memphis.

A leopard doesn’t change its spots.
OK now you’re just making shit up. There are plenty of reasons for Cal to go but just randomly saying he’s getting kickbacks is bullshit.

Oh golly another new account here to defend Saint Calipari? Keep em coming
Well for one thing, it's a pretty easy task to click and see that I've posted with this account for what is now going on 4 years. So not only was that a weird attempt at a burn, it was just dumb.

And for another, nobody on here is defending Calipari - I would assume most of us actually would like him gone. But in this thread there are just folks like myself who are simply educating the ignorant on what "for cause" actually entails. I think we all can figure out which of those two categories you would fall under.

Only proof I see is that the writer is an agenda driven dumbass

This team is not a team yet. It will be.

And that writer
will disappear.
Sorta like you did?

Wdb32cp.png

There have been staff changes and some key, longtime Calipari assistants that were shoved to the side in an attempt to become more recruiting-focused.

This line doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: KT34
There have been staff changes and some key, longtime Calipari assistants that were shoved to the side in an attempt to become more recruiting-focused.

This line doesn't make any sense.
Yeah, I was a little confused on it. Maybe it’s about Robic? Sure as hell isn’t about guys like Justus or Barbee.

I swear you would think poor results would be included in the cause stipulations. He literally can get canned for doing anything but losing.
He can absolutely be fired for losing, he would just still be owed whatever the contract buyout is at that time. But if he were fired “with cause” then he wouldn’t be owed another dime.

Unfortunately the requirement of maintaining a certain winning % is not written in his contract.

He can absolutely be fired for losing, he would just still be owed whatever the contract buyout is at that time. But if he were fired “with cause” then he wouldn’t be owed another dime.

Unfortunately the requirement of maintaining a certain winning % is not written in his contract.
Exactly and definitely unfortunately

Obviously I’m in the group who want Calipari gone yesterday but even I recognize legally our hands are tied
His contract was very carefully written. All Barnhart wanted was for him to keep it clean…Calipari had the upper hand there because he was able to have the contract written in such a way to give him a long leash yet adhere to the terms
Barnhart truly screwed the university and fan base for allowing this to happen

That's the problem. It should be. Coaches get bonuses for so many wins, tournament wins, final fours and such. They should get dinged for not winning the SEC, 30 wins and the like.

Just to be clear, this isn't a Mitch issue or a Kentucky issue.

This is how coach firings work. Coaching contracts stipulate that coaches can be fired without cause. In order to avoid law suits, there are agreed upon financial settlements. The coach agrees to this when signing the contract. If Kentucky upholds their end, Calipari has agreed not to take them to court.

So Kentucky doesn't NEED cause to fire Calipari. I don't know why everyone is so worried about it. They can write him a check and send him on his way.

The only reason to want "cause" is to avoid the payout. We're not avoiding the payout. If we fire him with cause--he's taking the University to court. UK will spent a lot of time, energy, and money they don't want to spend.

Last edited:
Y’all owe Dan Wolken an apology. He’s been saying we were trash for over a decade now and y’all argued with him. Hit him up on twitter and tell him he was right.

You're arguing semantics. Yes, "for cause" won't be the reason if it's used to justify firing him for poor performance, but he will indeed be fired for poor performance.
Semantics? They’re two totally different things with two totally different outcomes. It’s only semantics because you can’t defend the ignorance of being fired for cause.

You're arguing semantics. Yes, "for cause" won't be the reason if it's used to justify firing him for poor performance, but he will indeed be fired for poor performance.
It’s not semantics. When you’re fired for cause you’re not owed the rest of your money. When you’re fired for poor performance you are. Maybe the person who first said Cal should be fired for cause doesn’t know that, but he can’t be fired for cause right now.

I don't think it's semantics.

1. Calipari can be fired for poor performance. When they do it, the paper work will say "without cause."

The "with cause" or "without cause" matters. And it has nothing to do with semantics. If they say with cause, they owe Calipari zero dollars, and they better have an iron clad case they did he did something. Because he can take them to court and challenge it. And it will cost them a fortune. And they can lose if it's not an appropriate "cause."

Without Cause: They've written the contract to be able to fire Calipari without cause. They have written a settlement into the contract. By signing it, Calipari agrees not to sue them for wrongful termination. They have promised him so much money should they decided to fire him without cause.

Jesus some of you are clueless. Show me one coach in the history of sports who has ever been fired for cause for not winning enough. You can't fire a coach for cause for having the wrong "priorities" or for not winning enough, or for disrespecting the tradition of the program, or for whatever other nonsense you want to think of. That's not how a for cause termination works or will ever work.
I concur. I will say winning SHOULD be in a coach's contract however. I mean, almost every other job on the planet has performance metrics. It's wild that a sports job, where the primary objective is to WIN GAMES, is not held to that account.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
That's what courts are for counselor. It's pretty obvious Calipari doesn't have the best interest of the BB program in mind considering "his stated priorities". He's declared publicly that he doesn't coach for this University, this Program, nor the greater glory of BBN ... WHO PAYS HIM. Who does he coach for then? What the hell is he even doing here? IMO, the longer a man buries his head in the sand, the longer he shows his ass.
This is just wishful happenings on your part. You can cherry pick statements Cal has made, and he says a lot of goofy things, but there is no way to prove what you just posted. The BBN does not pay him. How do you prove he doesnt have the best interest of the BB program in mind? His goals may not mesh with yours but , that doesn't violate anything in his contract. JMO

"I am the victim of a hate crime. Stanley knows what I'm talking about."

"That's not what a hate crime is."

"Well, I hated it, a lot, okay"
I've always had an issue with the term "hate crime". Like I understand legally why it exists, but you usually don't do crime to people because you love them.

"Hey man, you just killed that dude!"
"Yeah, cause I loved him too damn much!"

This is just wishful happenings on your part. You can cherry pick statements Cal has made, and he says a lot of goofy things, but there is no way to prove what you just posted. The BBN does not pay him. How do you prove he doesnt have the best interest of the BB program in mind? His goals may not mesh with yours but , that doesn't violate anything in his contract. JMO
I appreciate your opinion and I'm actually not going to call you names, unlike others. I think we all know that Cal was hired because of the success he demonstrated over his career. Today, he's not only off the rails but he's out in the weeds. I'm pretty sure the man we see today isn't the man that was hired to lead this program. He's changed because his priorities have changed, IMO. Are his priorities today going to maintain the Program standards historically? Each one of us will have to make that decision. It seems many of us are only left scratching our head with decisions he makes after disappointing results. We're now seeing the national media scratching their heads as well. It's embarrassing for many except maybe for Cal. I wish it were different.

Reactions: ukjenning44
Bingo. That is precisely the reason Kenny Payne is going to get fired, no matter what convenient reason they give.

Bingo. That is precisely the reason Kenny Payne is going to get fired, no matter what convenient reason they give.
And Kenny Payne will be paid every penny he's owed in his contract. That's the different between firing for cause and firing not for cause. We can fire Cal for any reason we want, but if it's not for cause we owe him every dollar his contract entitles him to unless he agrees to take a lesser amount.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT