ADVERTISEMENT

Market Price for QB in the Portal

Can we get all portal threads consolidated into one big one? I can't keep up with em all!

Until then, and on this topic...I'm real surprised at a lot of these programs who seemingly can't pony up even for a good QB.

Surely, Washington State has some money somewhere. Same goes for Kansas St, Miami, etc...I mean don't tell me Miami can't find some money and benefits to retain players...There's a 2-part ESPN 30 for 30 all about their vast resources and willingness to spend them on athletes, specifically football.

Also, PAC12 has/had a lot of good QBs this year.

Can we get all portal threads consolidated into one big one? I can't keep up with em all!

Until then, and on this topic...I'm real surprised at a lot of these programs who seemingly can't pony up even for a good QB.

Surely, Washington State has some money somewhere. Same goes for Kansas St, Miami, etc...I mean don't tell me Miami can't find some money and benefits to retain players...There's a 2-part ESPN 30 for 30 all about their vast resources and willingness to spend them on athletes, specifically football.

Also, PAC12 has/had a lot of good QBs this year.
I feel you brother, hard to keep up. And consider this....the portal doesn't officially open until Dec 4!!

One data point for top-shelf QB transfer:

Helps give an idea for mid-shelf QB transfer prices/comps
I have a hard time seeing numbers like this and believing they're credible. All parties involved have an incentive to inflate the numbers, and there's no traceability. They should be treated with a high degree of skepticism.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Or you can think about the opportunity as a college QB to work w a proven QB developer who has a track record of putting QBs high in the draft

So the question is, what is the price now for that opportunity to further develop you? I understand you want a million, but what’s the real number?

By the way, we have 2 other QBs we are looking at as well

Agreed. Is there any chance of a team NIL cap that could be enforced? Personally I can't see myself staying interested in the sport if it just comes down to buying players.
You can’t put a cap on NIL.

The biggest issue is that NIL rules state that it cannot be given as incentive to go to a school, which is exactly what happens. If they ever figure out a way to clean that up (which they won’t), it would be a little more controlled.

Leary was the #1 QB in the portal last year and didn't get close to that in NIL.
price of the bag has gone up, i'd say. also, i would have thought leary was #3 last year behind sam hartman and dj uiagaleili.

anyway, that's nebraska's coach in the market for a transfer qb so i tend to believe it since it corroborates other reporting.

price of the bag has gone up, i'd say. that's nebraska's coach in the market for a transfer qb so i tend to believe it since it corroborates other reporting.
Maybe. I'm just skeptical because there are so many inflated figures thrown out there with no verification possible, and it's in everyone's interest to talk as big as possible. Rhule saying it costs that much also insinuates that Nebraska has that much to throw around on one player, even if that's not the truth.

Yeah, I would like to see a breakdown of that price. I would also like to see who's making that number.

I mean how many players are really making anywhere near that via NIL, more specifically collectives.

Is it guaranteed? What's the payment plan? Is that per year or total based on 2-3 years if the player even has that much eligibility left?

I feel like what a player can make isn't really on the university but the marketability of the player and what they can go make themselves.

Most of the good money isn't coming from university coffers but brand deals, commercials for local, regional, national businesses, etc...

Reactions: entropy13
Yeah, I would like to see a breakdown of that price. I would also like to see who's making that number.

I mean how many players are really making anywhere near that via NIL, more specifically collectives.

Is it guaranteed? What's the payment plan? Is that per year or total based on 2-3 years if the player even has that much eligibility left?

I feel like what a player can make isn't really on the university but the marketability of the player and what they can go make themselves.

Most of the good money isn't coming from university coffers but brand deals, commercials for local, regional, national businesses, etc...
We need more info for sure.

I think one measure is when players who would be late round picks decide to transfer instead. Those players are at least getting $150k and higher based on late round nfl guaranteed signing bonuses. Mid round picks get signing bonus around $700k

Agreed. Is there any chance of a team NIL cap that could be enforced? Personally I can't see myself staying interested in the sport if it just comes down to buying players.

The same teams that won big before NIL are winning big now. College football hasn't changed a bit and it's still as great as ever.

And no way there is ever a cap.

Reactions: postmodernprimate
Everyone talk about how the free market solves everything but freaks out when it comes to sports lol

You can’t cap NIL any more than you can cap me as a video editor, or cap Taylor Swift’s concert tickets sales. You’re worth what you can get, basic capitalism.

But what you COULD do is like the NBA, NFL, etc does, unionize the employees - spare me the student athlete angle - and set up a fair system between all the member teams.

However, players aren’t really motivated to do so. They’ve got the wild Wild West and unregulated contracts.

It’ll take one or two things:
1. the bottom 60% of players who aren’t getting much or any NIL to go on strike and force a better distribution between the players, continuing health insurance, etc etc.

2. The schools to “lock out” the employees, ditch the NCAA, ditch NIL as the main conduit for recruiting, and establish a contract and pay system based upon a revenue share of their TV contracts, reducing the control that NIL outfits have on a program. NIL will still have influence, but if schools could just cut a player, and NIL outfits aren’t able to negotiate playing time (de facto), so more power returns to the schools.

I see the latter as the more likely scenario, as the schools and coaches really miss the power they had. But it also would destroy the NCAA and probably the conferences as we know them. And then basically it’s NFL jr.

But one thing is certain. The second the Supreme Court made that ruling, and the NCAA could no longer punish athletes for money, everything changed and it will never go back.

There needs to be a cap/limit that’s the same for every team.
That would break the law. You can’t put a cap on what someone can earn on their NIL. Problem is really, they are not payed for that. No one is paying them to endorse products or sell jerseys for the majority of that money. They are paid to play. If they were employees you could cap pay for play. You can’t if they say it’s NIL. What a bag of bullshit. Lawyers.

That would break the law. You can’t put a cap on what someone can earn on their NIL. Problem is really, they are not payed for that. No one is paying them to endorse products or sell jerseys for the majority of that money. They are paid to play. If they were employees you could cap pay for play. You can’t if they say it’s NIL. What a bag of bullshit. Lawyers.
You're right in that you can't put a cap on what someone can earn. However the NCAA could easily put a cap on the universities and say that the total amount of NIL money by their players can't exceed x amount.

Then that QB that would put you over the cap would just have to go to a different school or voluntarily accept less NIL money.

Reactions: TNTUK
NFL has a salary cap for teams each season.

You're right in that you can't put a cap on what someone can earn. However the NCAA could easily put a cap on the universities and say that the total amount of NIL money by their players can't exceed x amount.

Then that QB that would put you over the cap would just have to go to a different school or voluntarily accept less NIL money.
This is exactly what I was referring to. Similar to the NFL model.

I suggested that from day 1 but I believe it’s gotten too out of hand at this point.

Everyone talk about how the free market solves everything but freaks out when it comes to sports lol

You can’t cap NIL any more than you can cap me as a video editor, or cap Taylor Swift’s concert tickets sales. You’re worth what you can get, basic capitalism.

But what you COULD do is like the NBA, NFL, etc does, unionize the employees - spare me the student athlete angle - and set up a fair system between all the member teams.

However, players aren’t really motivated to do so. They’ve got the wild Wild West and unregulated contracts.

It’ll take one or two things:
1. the bottom 60% of players who aren’t getting much or any NIL to go on strike and force a better distribution between the players, continuing health insurance, etc etc.

2. The schools to “lock out” the employees, ditch the NCAA, ditch NIL as the main conduit for recruiting, and establish a contract and pay system based upon a revenue share of their TV contracts, reducing the control that NIL outfits have on a program. NIL will still have influence, but if schools could just cut a player, and NIL outfits aren’t able to negotiate playing time (de facto), so more power returns to the schools.

I see the latter as the more likely scenario, as the schools and coaches really miss the power they had. But it also would destroy the NCAA and probably the conferences as we know them. And then basically it’s NFL jr.

But one thing is certain. The second the Supreme Court made that ruling, and the NCAA could no longer punish athletes for money, everything changed and it will never go back.
Interesting, thought-provoking post.

NCAA could have solved this issue many years ago. Now it is the wild west.
While I agree that players who bring major revenue to schools need to be compensated, this is just getting tiresome to watch.

Reactions: entropy13
Repeat: athletes/employees would have to UNIONIZE to implement a salary cap, negotiated with the owners/schools. As of now they don’t any real incentive to do so.

NFL and NBA salary caps are the result of a long back and forth of strikes and lockouts. If there’s to be a cap, this will go down the same way.

You still can’t cap NIL, ever, just like the NBA can’t cap deals with Nike, so there’ll always be SOME influence. But by abolishing the NCAA - which is the only thing holding back literally pay for play - then the schools can regain the most amount of power over the payment of players

Reactions: postmodernprimate
NFL has a salary cap for teams each season.
Because they are employees. They cap the pay for play. Tom Brady still went out and made as much money thru commercials and public appearances as he wanted. They couldn’t cap that. That’s NIL. Pay for play in college is not legal. NIL is what you pay them for. Supposedly. That’s why you can’t cap it.

Because they are employees. They cap the pay for play. Tom Brady still went out and made as much money thru commercials and public appearances as he wanted. They couldn’t cap that. That’s NIL. Pay for play in college is not legal. NIL is what you pay them for. Supposedly. That’s why you can’t cap it.
And that is what it’s coming to with NCAA athletes. I’m pretty sure there are legal arguments already in the pipeline with some ongoing cases that they are essentially employees. (Could be wrong about that though).

But the point is that NIL is getting out of control (and it’s only getting started), and something needs to be done, or else teams like UK will never have a shot because we don’t have enough money like, for instance, A&M does.

Edit: 7th and 9th Circuit Courts have ruled that student-athletes are not employees under FLSA but I guarantee that there will be a Circuit that will rule that they are and it will be headed to the US S.Ct. - and they are the reason NIL has gotten this far…..

Last edited:
And that is what it’s coming to with NCAA athletes. I’m pretty sure there are legal arguments already in the pipeline with some ongoing cases that they are essentially employees. (Could be wrong about that though).

But the point is that NIL is getting out of control (and it’s only getting started), and something needs to be done, or else teams like UK will never have a shot because we don’t have enough money like, for instance, A&M does.
Why would the NCAA or the university’s care or want to change what’s going on?? They are NOT PAYING THE NIL. FANS ARE. Do you not remember the PONY UP comments. They are not losing a dime in all this.

Gonna destroy college athletics for everyone except the top 5 programs who have the money. Gotta put this genie back in the bottle.

Reactions: Bird--man

Pay for play would be perfectly legal, EXCEPT that the NCAA bans it. NCAA goes away, restriction on pay for play goes away. Free market.

Seems the ownerships best bet is to leave the NCAA and make their own league where they can dictate the pay.

Why would the NCAA or the university’s care or want to change what’s going on?? They are NOT PAYING THE NIL. FANS ARE. Do you not remember the PONY UP comments. They are not losing a dime in all this.
Why are you wanting to argue?

I’m clearly alluding to the fact that some schools (ex: A&M) have massive advantages over other schools (ex: UK) right now - do you want the playing field to be leveled off or no?

Do you want NFL (salary caps) or MLB (no salary caps)?

The NFL every team before the season starts theoretically has a chance to win the Super Bowl. In Baseball, only a handful of teams typically have a really good chance to go to the World Series.

Reactions: Father Torque

They’re losing control is the problem. When an NIL collective dictates what you do with your brand , coaches, and football program, that can become a problem

I’m clearly alluding to the fact that some schools (ex: A&M) have massive advantages over other schools (ex: UK) - do you want the playing field to be leveled off or no?

The NFL every team before the season starts theoretically has a chance to win the Super Bowl. In Baseball, only a handful of teams typically have a really good chance to go to the World Series.
I read it again and did not mean to come off that way. It just ticks me off they have ruined college sports for me. Asking the fans to pay players is like my last straw man. My apologies.

I’m clearly alluding to the fact that some schools (ex: A&M) have massive advantages over other schools (ex: UK) right now - do you want the playing field to be leveled off or no?

MLB has sort of a soft cap/luxury tax system, but the call for a hard cap just isn’t as important as the game itself and the playoffs are SO random that it can overcome the big spenders. Yes the yankeees get hot in the playoffs more, but in recent times KC, Marlins, and various 85-95 win teams just got hot and won.

In the NFL it is extremely important for parity.

Reactions: 23jumpboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT