ADVERTISEMENT

Market Price for QB in the Portal

I read it again and did not mean to come off that way. It just ticks me off they have ruined college sports for me. Asking the fans to pay players is like my last straw man. My apologies.
You are all good!

If athletes end up becoming employees under the law, the NCAA or whatever successor organization manages college sports could implement salary caps, and even implement revenue sharing (to help with a school’s budget for players’ salaries, along with fans’ donations). A lot of other factors would be involved, but this would be an ideal model for UK (at least in football) imo. I could be in fantasy land though - lol

The Supreme Court opened a huge can of worms in the Board of Regents, Bannon, and Alston cases - so either the NCAA and Universities need to do something to create a model that levels the playing field, or Congress does. (And the latter likely ain’t happening).

MLB has sort of a soft cap/luxury tax system, but the call for a hard cap just isn’t as important as the game itself and the playoffs are SO random that it can overcome the big spenders. Yes the yankeees get hot in the playoffs more, but in recent times KC, Marlins, and various 85-95 win teams just got hot and won.

In the NFL it is extremely important for parity.
I would love to see some type of cap. My question is…. Why would the NCAA and the university want to pay the players and cap it??? Right now the FANS are paying the players. The Universities are still making exactly the same as before NIL. Not one dime has come out of their pockets to pay players. I find it impossible to believe they would want to start paying players themselves and cap it.

MLB has sort of a soft cap/luxury tax system, but the call for a hard cap just isn’t as important as the game itself and the playoffs are SO random that it can overcome the big spenders. Yes the yankeees get hot in the playoffs more, but in recent times KC, Marlins, and various 85-95 win teams just got hot and won.

Agreed - but my favorite team (Reds) have no shot most years. Although the next 4-5 years could be interesting for the Reds because they struck gold with a bunch of rookies they won’t have to re-sign for another 4-5 years.

I would think College Football would be pretty awesome if there were parity across the board.

I would love to see some type of cap. My question is…. Why would the NCAA and the university want to pay the players and cap it??? Right now the FANS are paying the players. The Universities are still making exactly the same as before NIL. Not one dime has come out of their pockets to pay players. I find it impossible to believe they would want to start paying players themselves and cap it

Reactions: TNTUK
I would love to see some type of cap. My question is…. Why would the NCAA and the university want to pay the players and cap it??? Right now the FANS are paying the players. The Universities are still making exactly the same as before NIL. Not one dime has come out of their pockets to pay players. I find it impossible to believe they would want to start paying players themselves and cap it
I think that is where this argument about whether student athletes are employees comes into play. If that happens, then I believe you’d see Universities really push for some change or create some type of model so it doesn’t get out of control or so Universities could control it.

College athletics has went off the rails with multiple massive changes all at once.

As if the NIL wasn’t enormous enough, the portal becoming NFL type free agency, giving players six to seven years of eligibility, and conference realignment has created a monster that cannot be caged.

I think it’s very clear that conference realignment is being done to abolish the NCAA and have total control and keep more of the money. Small school athletic programs are going to be toast.

You are all good!

If athletes end up becoming employees under the law, the NCAA or whatever successor organization manages college sports could implement salary caps, and even implement revenue sharing (to help with a school’s budget for players’ salaries, along with fans’ donations). A lot of other factors would be involved, but this would be an ideal model for UK (at least in football) imo. I could be in fantasy land though - lol

The Supreme Court opened a huge can of worms in the Board of Regents, Bannon, and Alston cases - so either the NCAA and Universities need to do something to create a model that levels the playing field, or Congress does. (And the latter likely ain’t happening).

I agree that something needs to be done, but before NIL we had a salary cap, which was zero. Teams were always accused of paying players but it seldom amounted to any issues. Teams will look for ways around a salary cap and unless penalties are so severe no one wante to risk breaking the cap it won't mean anything.

Reactions: TNTUK and Fox2monk
Don't know what UK gave but AU was offering 7 figures. Maybe he doesn't like Freeze. They are ponying up that for Vandergriff in this class.
I can’t believe that choke job against Bama the other night. That was an all timer in that series. Up there with the kick six IMO.

I agree that something needs to be done, but before NIL we had a salary cap, which was zero. Teams were always accused of paying players but it seldom amounted to any issues. Teams will look for ways around a salary cap and unless penalties are so severe no one wante to risk breaking the cap it won't mean anything.
True but they need to try something. They need to have an independent board that the schools choose and give power too. The schools agree to abide by the punishments set in a contract so they can’t sue so easily that allows for those type penalties. Like loss of TV money for the year, to be split amongst the other members. Something like that.

The only reason would be control. If the NIL collectives are able to dictate the players, their playing time guarantees, hell, even which coach a team should hire, the Universities may decide to consolidate that power to themselves again. Athletic directors don't like answering to a lot of people.

I can’t believe that choke job against Bama the other night. That was an all timer in that series. Up there with the kick six IMO.

Me either, can't believe they rushed 2 that last play. Plus I can't believe no one is mentioning the pushoff by the Bama receiver. I guess Freeze had a post-game appointment.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The only reason would be control. If the NIL collectives are able to dictate the players, their playing time guarantees, hell, even which coach a team should hire, the Universities may decide to consolidate that power to themselves again. Athletic directors don't like answering to a lot of people.
You mean like a player won’t play tonight because he doesn’t have his tights?? That kind of power? Lol. No way that kid tries that before NIL.

You mean like a player won’t play tonight because he doesn’t have his tights?? That kind of power? Lol. No way that kid tries that before NIL.
a pay for play system would be even better. No need to honor a scholarship, just terminate pay and cut him.

Everyone in college sports know the inevitable next step is schools directly paying players a salary. Maybe then most of the NIL cash will be folded back into the athletic departments, and a rational payout scheduled will be developed. Most money going to starters, to upper classmen. No more $8M guarantees to high school volleyball playing quarterbacks.

Agreed. Is there any chance of a team NIL cap that could be enforced? Personally I can't see myself staying interested in the sport if it just comes down to buying players.
The NCAA doesn’t want college football to sustain it, only Big Power 5 schools. They get the cream while small schools get the bad crop.

Guess we will try our luck shopping at Big Lots for a broken QB again to save money and just hope it works out.
I’ll give Leary some credit, you can tell he has talent and he played way better most games after about the first 4. I thought he was a total bust early. Just wasn’t consistent enough and our receivers let us down on the good throws he made quite often. Glad he came thru at Louisville, we should have beat UT that was his best game outside UofL. Missouri we could have won, SC should have but that loss was inexcusable. Only Georgia and Bama were blowouts like expected. Every other game we had a chance.

Reactions: 23jumpboy
Just read that Leary can apply for another year in college if he wants to. It said that it would be in his best interest to do that.

For the years I had UK football tix, I had to pay a donation to the Fund to get the opportunity to pay for tix. At one time, of course, that was tax deductible. No more.

So, maybe UK should tell ticket holders that it wants them to pay that money, or a portion, to an NIL consortium, instead, before you qualify for tix. Yeah, it takes money from UK, but ticket sale drops does, as well.

If permissible, get out in front of this thing now.

• Love
Reactions: Fox2monk and catben
For the years I had UK football tix, I had to pay a donation to the Fund to get the opportunity to pay for tix. At one time, of course, that was tax deductible. No more.

So, maybe UK should tell ticket holders that it wants them to pay that money, or a portion, to an NIL consortium, instead, before you qualify for tix. Yeah, it takes money from UK, but ticket sale drops does, as well.

If permissible, get out in front of this thing now.
This is EXACTLY what I have said needs to be done on UK’s end that could really raise a lot of money each year!! All you would have to do is send a copy of your receipt from the various NIL consortium’s and the UK Athletic dept would deduct that amount from your K-Fund obligation!!

Ole Magilla just couldn’t conceive that happening, which meant Mitch was dead set AGAINST IT.

This is EXACTLY what I have said needs to be done on UK’s end that could really raise a lot of money each year!! All you would have to do is send a copy of your receipt from the various NIL consortium’s and the UK Athletic dept would deduct that amount from your K-Fund obligation!!

Ole Magilla just couldn’t conceive that happening, which meant Mitch was dead set AGAINST IT.
Can’t do that under current KY state law. You’d need the legislature to amend the NIL law to do two things:
  1. Make it permissible for UK to do that
  2. Strengthen legal protections for UK against the NCAA
The state of Texas just amended their NIL law this past summer to permit what you’re suggesting. We’d need the KY legislature to do the same thing.

Reactions: catben and Fox2monk

He’s not exaggerating. Agents and reps have been shopping high-profile transfer quarterbacks around for the past few weeks with asking prices in that range. And now that Rhule has said so publicly, the price is probably going up.

“The going rate for a guy who’s going to go in Day 1 or Day 2 of the draft is $1.5 million,” said one Power 5 general manager. “This year, it might go to $2 million just because there’s less people and competition.”

The going rate in recent years for veteran transfer QBs who just want to play one more season and boost their draft stock was closer to the $500,000 to $750,000 range, he said. Blue-chip freshman transfers with big potential might’ve been worth up to $1 million. But the true NFL-caliber talent? It’s going to cost you more than that.

“That’s where I think it’s at right now,” he added, “but now all these kids are thinking they can get $1 million.”

Last edited:
University athletic departments will not be able to pay 400+ athletes.

That's where things will end and split. The second all the rules of universities and athletic departments having to bean count and title 9 everything...BCS will roll the f*** out and do its own thing.

BCS football for sure will split, they'll probably take some basketball with them.

Top 30ish Football programs for sure will form some sort of "BCS League" that's essentially pro/semi pro. I don't know if there's that many basketball programs that are profitable and can get the ratings, but the ones who can split too.

Everything else will kind of revert back to more "traditional" NCAA.

I think that is where this argument about whether student athletes are employees comes into play. If that happens, then I believe you’d see Universities really push for some change or create some type of model so it doesn’t get out of control or so Universities could control it.

One easy fix to put this into perspective for the college athletes that think they aren't getting anything from the universities...

if/when they are deemed employees, they need to understand they could (should) be paying taxes on ALL their benefits...food, clothing, etc. Then they would see how "unpaid" they were before this crazy stuff started. The problem is that would be devastating financially to players who are not receiving significant NIL money.

At some point I would not be surprised to see the IRS come down on all these school for running a professional for-profit league. This is no longer "amateur athletics" an the schools are not operating anything close to a non profit., I would not be surprised to find out the schools are transferring dark money back to the collectives to make their payments "legal".

If that happens schools will be on the hook 10 of millions in taxes that they don't just have sitting around in a bank account somewhere.

You are all good!

I think you're arguing 2 different things though. If they are ever deemed employees, then yes, there could be a salary cap. But that has nothing to do with them earning money off their name, image and likeness outside of being an employee. There can be no cap on that.

I think you're arguing 2 different things though. If they are ever deemed employees, then yes, there could be a salary cap. But that has nothing to do with them earning money off their name, image and likeness outside of being an employee. There can be no cap on that.
Right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT