ADVERTISEMENT

Lunardi latest

That bracket actually isn't bad other than UCONN. You upset them and then Baylor in elite 8 or maybe UNC.

I want no part of UCONN. UCONN wants no part of us in the Sweet 16.

I assume the committee will see us as a tough/dangerous 4 seed and give the 1st 2 one seeds an easier 4. Maybe wishful thinking, but I think/hope we get Purdue or Arizona/UT/UNC whoever gets that last one.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I think UK ends up with Purdue or UConn.

Better matchups out there, as opposed to NBA lottery or first round 7' bigs, but I'm sure plenty here will say "no problem, UK will win!"

We most likely will be in Purdue's region. They are a difficult match up for us and that would make more sense than U. Conn for the committee. But, does it matter? We have had extremely favorable match-ups and lost so maybe having challenges would be better.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
We most likely will be in Purdue's region. They are a difficult match up for us and that would make more sense than U. Conn for the committee. But, does it matter? We have had extremely favorable match-ups and lost so maybe having challenges would be better.
We have 3 7 footers and I bet all 3 would foul out and Edy would have no more than 2 fouls if we play them.

Feel like the only way we end up east of Mississippi is if we work way up to 3 seed. If we are 4 or lower I am betting we go out west.

I actually think they would be far and away the easiest match up for us. Their guards are slow. Their big is slow. We would have Edey exhausted.

JMHO though

I actually think they would be far and away the easiest match up for us. Their guards are slow. Their big is slow. We would have Edey exhausted.

JMHO though
We'd either have to double Edey every time he gets the ball and make someone else beat us or allow him to get 30 & 15 and guard everyone else.

None of our bigs can stop him 1 on 1.

JMHO though

I’ve thought the same. But only if Cal speeds the pace of the game up (like he ought to every game, if we’re being honest)

In the past, Cal has been content to settle into “rock fight” games because that’s just how the opponent happens to play. Very rarely is UK the team imposing our will and dictating the tempo. This is one of my fundamental beefs with Cal. He has the unwavering belief that the rock fight games are “just how it is” once you get in the tournament. I don’t agree, at all. If you run into a team like that, your best chance is ALWAYS taking them out of their comfort zone, rather than just acquiescing to their style. That is never the right approach, but Cal seems more concerned with beating teams at their own game, rather than simply beating them.

We'd either have to double Edey every time he gets the ball and make someone else beat us or allow him to get 30 & 15 and guard everyone else.

I said prior to the MSU game that our strategy should basically be let Tolu Smith do whatever he wants, and just make sure you don’t let Hubbard beat you. Then Cal almost did just that. The difference is I don’t think Purdue has a Josh Hubbard, but the strategy is still the same. Limit Purdue’s offensive rebounds and guard the perimeter at all costs and you win that game, IMO.

I’ve thought the same. But only if Cal speeds the pace of the game up (like he ought to every game, if we’re being honest)

In the past, Cal has been content to settle into “rock fight” games because that’s just how the opponent happens to play. Very rarely is UK the team imposing our will and dictating the tempo. This is one of my fundamental beefs with Cal. He has the unwavering belief that the rock fight games are “just how it is” once you get in the tournament. I don’t agree, at all. If you run into a team like that, your best chance is ALWAYS taking them out of their comfort zone, rather than just acquiescing to their style. That is never the right approach, but Cal seems more concerned with beating teams at their own game, rather than simply beating them.

Calipari specifically did just that in the Mississippi State game. MSU was trying to throw it down low to Smith every play.

26161.jpg

A lot of times that is easier said then done. It is much easier, seemingly, to slow a game down, then it is to speed it up.

You can play as quickly offensively as you would like, but if the opposition is intent and disciplined on using all 30 seconds of the shot clock, there is not much you can do (unless you are willing to just give up easy basket after easy basket).

A lot of times that is easier said then done. It is much easier, seemingly, to slow a game down, then it is to speed it up.

You can play as quickly offensively as you would like, but if the opposition is intent and disciplined on using all 30 seconds of the shot clock, there is not much you can do (unless you are willing to just give up easy basket after easy basket).

Press and trap after made baskets. If you’re playing a short, slow, plodding team, use your superior speed and length to be disruptive on defense. Make the opponent work just to advance the ball. This takes a mental toll on them just as much as a physical one. And once they do get in their halfcourt offense, extend the D and make them operate outside their effective range. This can be done if you have superior length and/or lateral quickness, preventing drives. But you have to work.

Reactions: HagginHall1999

I do think he is trying some stuff that is inherently going to speed up pace of play a bit. The picking up full court does that to an extent. Hard to argue where they stand for year...still 5th overall and only P5 ahead of us is Arizona...it is close too.

30 & 15 all day. Actually reminds me of us with Oscar.

Remember, their guys have to guard us too. We could also wear Edey down by running him to death.

I'm not saying we couldn't lose but I will never be worried about Purdue. They are the epitome of a paper tiger.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
the teams that slow the game and play good defense will be the teams we are likely to see in our region. if we are a 4 or 5 i’m looking for houston.

I think UK ends up with Purdue or UConn.

Better matchups out there, as opposed to NBA lottery or first round 7' bigs, but I'm sure plenty here will say "no problem, UK will win!"
Much rather have Purdue than UConn personally. Of course would be nice to avoid both.

Kentucky was #14 overall in the mock committee just now. This is a group of 6 of the bracket guys from bracket matrix who actually fly out and get together and do a real "mock" selection over 3 days (Fri-Sunday)

Pretty nuts that people actually do this.

They will start tomorrow around 11:30 AM ET and go all day all night.

They have selected about 32 teams and have seeded the first 4 lines so far.

They gave Duke #13 overall

Kentucky was #14 overall in the mock committee just now. This is a group of 6 of the bracket guys from bracket matrix who actually fly out and get together and do a real "mock" selection over 3 days (Fri-Sunday)

Pretty nuts that people actually do this.

They will start tomorrow around 11:30 AM ET and go all day all night.

They have selected about 32 teams and have seeded the first 4 lines so far.

They gave Duke #13 overall
That is crazy.
But I'm glad we live in a world it happens

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT