ADVERTISEMENT

Lunardi did pretty good with the top 4 seeds

BlueBomb

All-American
Apr 3, 2009
Lunardi made his bracket picks a couple days before the selection show. He had everything right with the top four seeds (16 teams) except one. Interestingly enough, he had UK and Auburn swapped. He had Auburn on the three line and UK on the four line. Everything else matched. I didn't compare anything past the top 16 teams.

I know, I know. A blind monkey could do what he does. And so forth.

So just sharing.

Looks like he got 67 of 68 and got 37 seeds right. He was 1 seed off on 24 seed and he missed the seed line by more than 1 seed on the following 7 teams:

FAU - he had as a 10 and they got an 8
New Mexico - he had as a 9 and they were an 11
Dayton - he had as a 9 and they were a 7
Nevada - he had as a 7 and they were a 10
Florida - he had as a 5 and they were a 7
Boise State - he had as an 8 and they were a 10
Gonzaga - he had as a 7 and they were a 5

Looks like he got 67 of 68 and got 37 seeds right. He was 1 seed off on 24 seed and he missed the seed line by more than 1 seed on the following 7 teams:

Pretty good if you ask me.

There was a huge difference. Auburn gets UConn instead of UK.
I was mainly talking about these first couple of games. Not much difference in a 3/14 and 3/6 matchup than a 4/12 and 4/5 matchup.

But we could have been a 4 and paired with Purdue, UNC or Houston. Just because Auburn got the 4 in UCONN's bracket doesn't mean that had the seeds been switched, it would have put us in the same bracket.

It's pretty easy to get the top 4 seeds correctly.

There was a pretty wide consensus on who was on those first two lines.

It's after those seeds where things get a bit messy lol

FWIW Lunardi scored 336 points on the bracket matrix thing. In the lower half of all scores. Again

Conversely the winner had 355 points. 67 teams correct, 45 seeded correctly and 64 seeded within 1 line.

The average bracket matrix? 342 points.

Proving once again it's better to just take the average.

It's pretty easy to get the top 4 seeds correctly.

There was a pretty wide consensus on who was on those first two lines.

It's after those seeds where things get a bit messy lol

FWIW Lunardi scored 336 points on the bracket matrix thing. In the lower half of all scores. Again

Conversely the winner had 355 points. 67 teams correct, 45 seeded correctly and 64 seeded within 1 line.

The average bracket matrix? 342 points.

Proving once again it's better to just take the average.

Wow. Thoughts @JwUKFan11 on Lunardi being in the bottom 50th percentile picking seeds?

That's the thing. It "looks" impressive but as you can see on the bracket matrix anyone could really do this and do it better. You have to put context on this, compare him to all the others.

ESPN should think about hiring the person that has been the best over the past 5 years LOL

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Seems he did pretty good this year. Maybe the ones that think he can’t do it should try it out.

But he was worse than half the others, which is the meaning of bottom half, but now you’re saying that’s some of his best work? Hmmm, that’s interesting. I thought people that said he’s not good at picking seeds are idiots? Seems maybe they aren’t, wouldn’t you agree?

I wonder how does that compare to his first brackets early in the season? My guess is there were many no where close and early brackets mean nothing.

But he was worse than half the others, which is the meaning of bottom half, but now you’re saying that’s some of his best work? Hmmm, that’s interesting. I thought people that said he’s not good at picking seeds are idiots? Seems maybe they aren’t, wouldn’t you agree?
15/16 is good. What's your point? I find it funny that posters love to post that same tired line so they can sound smart. "He's great at picking who gets in but can't get the seeds right".

15/16 is good. What's your point? I find it funny that posters love to post that same tired line so they can sound smart. "He's great at picking who gets in but can't get the seeds right".

What’s my point? You’re tickling his balls and calling anyone who questions him idiots when the data shows he’s consistently in the worst 50% of all people picking including this year and you don’t know what point I’m trying to make? What’s your point?

• Haha
Reactions: yoshukai
Lunardi made his bracket picks a couple days before the selection show. He had everything right with the top four seeds (16 teams) except one. Interestingly enough, he had UK and Auburn swapped. He had Auburn on the three line and UK on the four line. Everything else matched. I didn't compare anything past the top 16 teams.

So just sharing.
He was 98/174 rankings. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html

Reactions: BlueBomb
What’s my point? You’re tickling his balls and calling anyone who questions him idiots when the data shows he’s consistently in the worst 50% of all people picking including this year and you don’t know what point I’m trying to make? What’s your point?
That overall he does a good job, this year included yet people love repeating things.

Overall he does a below average job consistently, as shown with unbiased data
Do you not understand context? Overall, compared to the posters here, that just want to disagree because they simply don't like what he's saying he does a good job. Yes some are going to be missed but even then he normally is accurate.

So just sharing.
Well, the top 4 ranked teams he picked as the top 4 seeds. He is very good a what he does.

I can’t believe they were talking about Gonzaga being out of the tourney like a month ago. Seeing as the got a 5 they were never in danger, nor should they have been. That said we should have beaten them but we don’t defend!

I think if we’re all being honest, we know Auburn got the typical Kentucky screw job with their seeding, and we were fortunate to keep the 3 line.

With our past misfortune, however, I feel no guilt lol.

I guess it depends on how you look at things.

Auburn and Duke had good computer metrics but bad resumes.

Usually when it comes down to resume and metrics, the humans tend to go with the resume. This is why UK was 3rd seeded and Duke/Auburn 4

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT