ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of positives from this 2nd exhibition

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
So, to get the negatives out of the way, we all knew going into this exhibition that there would be no Oscar, no Wheeler, and no Collins. I'm praying for Collins- can't imagine what it would be like to lose my dad at age 20.

So, our personnel was limited and would be easy to expect another lackluster performance, but that's not what we got.

I think these guys missing right now is a blessing in disguise of sorts. It's especially good for guys like Wallace, Ware, Onyenso, Thiero, and even a guy like Livingston who got the start tonight. They were forced to step up in this game without having those regular starters being able to step in and pick up the slack. I thought all of those guys played pretty well, by the way.

Overall, it was good to see the team make shots tonight. The 3pt shooting in this game looked more like I expected it to be after the Bahamas. Shooting 12-26 from 3 will beat most teams. When you bring back Oscar, it will make those shots much easier.

The most impressive player in these 2 exhibitions in my opinion has been CJ Fredrick. He's a much better all-around player than I expected. He was so limited in the Bahamas, we really didn't get to see what he could do. He can do it all- we knew he could shoot it, but he can handle the ball, he is an excellent passer and playmaker, and he's a solid defender. He's just a smart player who seems to make winning plays. And he just doesn't turn the ball over. That's what I see.

Man, it was good to see Reeves make some shots tonight. He looked very nervous to me in that first exhibition and he even started a little shaky tonight, but he shook it off and kept playing and shooting. Once he saw one go down, he relaxed, finished with 23 on 7-14 shooting and 5-10 from 3. He's going to be very good.

As for Cason Wallace tonight, I thought he showed us some of what he can do with the ball in his hands. He didn't really shoot great but he made a couple daggers from 3 and showed his defensive prowess and strength as a lead guard. That's the way I see him- a scoring lead guard, similar to a Brandon Knight. 5 assists and 3 turnovers, not terrible. But this is just the beginning for him. He's going to be on the floor a lot this season. You guys know I love Wheeler too and what he can bring. This game would have been Wheeler's style of game, much more so than the first game. But Wallace could be dominant by season's end.

I don't like everything I've seen from Toppin in these exhibitions. That turnaround jumper in the post is good, but not so much from 15 feet fading away. He was pressing at times.

I love Thiero. I love his motor and his fight. He's going to make an impact for this team when he's on the floor. He defends. He scraps. And he can make open shots, which he will likely have in abundance this season.

Overall, it's fun watching the team score 111. I thought the 2nd half was much less focused, which isn't surprising. But still, this team does show a killer instinct, unlike other UK teams. Even in that first exhibition, though it was low scoring, they kept pushing the lead even when the game was over. That speaks to the depth of this team in my mind.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, just a fan giving an opinion. Blessings fellow Cat fans and may God bless the Collins family. 🙏

I’m ready to see us take on real competition. Just wish we would be doing it at full-strength to start the season.

I agree with what you’re saying here, be we can’t be anything but cautiously optismistic at this point. That was a really bad team that committed one unforced turnover after another, abandoned Toppin and others multiple times for layups and dunks, allowed guys to drive in for uncontested dunks, etc. They were really bad.

Our first two games and then Michigan St will, obviously, give us a better idea of what we have.

I’m ready to see us take on real competition. Just wish we would be doing it at full-strength to start the season.

I agree with what you’re saying here, be we can’t be anything but cautiously optismistic at this point. That was a really bad team that committed one unforced turnover after another, abandoned Toppin and others multiple times for layups and dunks, allowed guys to drive in for uncontested dunks, etc. They were really bad.

Our first two games and then Michigan St will, obviously, give us a better idea of what we have.
No doubt, I agree completely. We gotta get everyone back. I think what we've probably seen in these 2 exhibitions as much as anything else is just how important Oscar is to the team. I'm ready to see him get back out there. He said he would be ready but Calipari said he's not playing. Sounds like he doesn't want him to play in either game next week. I hope Oscar can convince him to play on Friday. Seems a bad idea to make Mich St his first game back.

No doubt, I agree completely. We gotta get everyone back. I think what we've probably seen in these 2 exhibitions as much as anything else is just how important Oscar is to the team. I'm ready to see him get back out there. He said he would be ready but Calipari said he's not playing. Sounds like he doesn't want him to play in either game next week. I hope Oscar can convince him to play on Friday. Seems a bad idea to make Mich St his first game back.
Definitely like to see him get one game in before then. I also don’t want him out there too early though.

Love the write up but how do you draw anything from a game that was 111-53 ?
If anything it's a confidence builder! If you don't think that's important, look back at the 9-16 team who didn't get the benefit of any real confidence-building games. (Obviously, that wouldn't have made that team into a good one... But these games do help). Any time on the floor for the back end of the bench are meaningful minutes. I'm pretty sure Onyenso's confidence is much, much higher after these past two games. We will learn a lot about this team in a hurry, but these games are certainly the "enjoy the ride" part as well.

I did not see the game, but the clips made it look like KY St was playing matador defense. Hard to tell much from the lack of competition, other than UK won by a margin that makes sense.
Kentucky State looked defeated and ready to go home by the middle of second half. But just like everyone was breaking down first exhibition, they will do the same with this one.
I like that it gives all the young guys confidence and gets them ready for the start of regular season

Reactions: Fox2monk and BBUK
Love the write up but how do you draw anything from a game that was 111-53 ?
Well, others have answered and I agree with their replies. You can't tell a lot about how the team will do against Mich St from this, but there are some things for individuals. Making open shots is something important to see. Reeves needed to see some shots fall. Every minute the freshmen get on this stage is a good thing. There are no final conclusions of course, but nobody was talking about the game and seemed almost depressed, so it felt like a good idea to me. 😀

So, to get the negatives out of the way, we all knew going into this exhibition that there would be no Oscar, no Wheeler, and no Collins. I'm praying for Collins- can't imagine what it would be like to lose my dad at age 20.

So, our personnel was limited and would be easy to expect another lackluster performance, but that's not what we got.

I think these guys missing right now is a blessing in disguise of sorts. It's especially good for guys like Wallace, Ware, Onyenso, Thiero, and even a guy like Livingston who got the start tonight. They were forced to step up in this game without having those regular starters being able to step in and pick up the slack. I thought all of those guys played pretty well, by the way.

Overall, it was good to see the team make shots tonight. The 3pt shooting in this game looked more like I expected it to be after the Bahamas. Shooting 12-26 from 3 will beat most teams. When you bring back Oscar, it will make those shots much easier.

The most impressive player in these 2 exhibitions in my opinion has been CJ Fredrick. He's a much better all-around player than I expected. He was so limited in the Bahamas, we really didn't get to see what he could do. He can do it all- we knew he could shoot it, but he can handle the ball, he is an excellent passer and playmaker, and he's a solid defender. He's just a smart player who seems to make winning plays. And he just doesn't turn the ball over. That's what I see.

Man, it was good to see Reeves make some shots tonight. He looked very nervous to me in that first exhibition and he even started a little shaky tonight, but he shook it off and kept playing and shooting. Once he saw one go down, he relaxed, finished with 23 on 7-14 shooting and 5-10 from 3. He's going to be very good.

As for Cason Wallace tonight, I thought he showed us some of what he can do with the ball in his hands. He didn't really shoot great but he made a couple daggers from 3 and showed his defensive prowess and strength as a lead guard. That's the way I see him- a scoring lead guard, similar to a Brandon Knight. 5 assists and 3 turnovers, not terrible. But this is just the beginning for him. He's going to be on the floor a lot this season. You guys know I love Wheeler too and what he can bring. This game would have been Wheeler's style of game, much more so than the first game. But Wallace could be dominant by season's end.

I don't like everything I've seen from Toppin in these exhibitions. That turnaround jumper in the post is good, but not so much from 15 feet fading away. He was pressing at times.

I love Thiero. I love his motor and his fight. He's going to make an impact for this team when he's on the floor. He defends. He scraps. And he can make open shots, which he will likely have in abundance this season.

Overall, it's fun watching the team score 111. I thought the 2nd half was much less focused, which isn't surprising. But still, this team does show a killer instinct, unlike other UK teams. Even in that first exhibition, though it was low scoring, they kept pushing the lead even when the game was over. That speaks to the depth of this team in my mind.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, just a fan giving an opinion. Blessings fellow Cat fans and may God bless the Collins family. 🙏
Excellent.

Reactions: BBUK and IL Wildcat

Agree. I think Toppin is pressing like you said. Needs to relax and just play. Don't force things.

Well, others have answered and I agree with their replies. You can't tell a lot about how the team will do against Mich St from this, but there are some things for individuals. Making open shots is something important to see. Reeves needed to see some shots fall. Every minute the freshmen get on this stage is a good thing. There are no final conclusions of course, but nobody was talking about the game and seemed almost depressed, so it felt like a good idea to me. 😀
Gotcha 👍

Reactions: IL Wildcat

We don't even have our whole team playing and put up 111. It means about as much as the prior game. Honestly none of these games matter much other than for confidence.

Michigan state isn't even that good but if we don't have Oscar will be a battle.

I did not see the game, but the clips made it look like KY St was playing matador defense. Hard to tell much from the lack of competition, other than UK won by a margin that makes sense.
Yes. It’s rather like those high school high light tapes, looks good but totally worthless. It’s a positive that the players got time on the floor with each other. Coaches get a peek at different lineups. That’s about all you know.

We don't even have our whole team playing and put up 111. It means about as much as the prior game. Honestly none of these games matter much other than for confidence.

Michigan state isn't even that good but if we don't have Oscar will be a battle.
I expect the MSU game to be tight either way. Izzo vs Cal. The ultimate rock fight. This has the feel of a 60-56 game.

No I'll will, ILL....

I like you back, bringing your "A" game. I missed it.

Last edited:
Fredrick and our rim protection stood out to me.

Obviously, the latter may change when Oscar returns since he isn't a shot blocking center.
Totally agree. Fredrick won't make all of his shots, but he'll make a lot of them. And how about 6 assists to 0 turnovers. Seems to be a very heady player that makes the right play 95% of the time, and certainly won't hurt you while he's on the floor. Think his defense is underrated as well. I've seen him being the one to stop the ball on an opposing fast break multiple times, then rotate back to his man.

And how about Onyenso! Don't think we have to worry about this guy leaving after this year with his current offensive skillset. But man, there are going to be certain situations when we will need him on the floor defensively. I'm telling you, put your three best shooters out there (Wallace, Fredrick, Reeves) alongside Oscar and Onyenso... and things could get real interesting.

This team has all the pieces to succeed. I hope the right chemistry will develop.

I expect the MSU game to be tight either way. Izzo vs Cal. The ultimate rock fight. This has the feel of a 60-56 game.

None of our games against msu for the most part the past 50 years or so have really been high scoring.

We had 94 to 88 in 2005 but that was double overtime. 2013 was a 74 to 78 loss.

The last 2 times we have played uk only scored 69 but won with relative ease but yeah I doubt it's a high scoring affair.

So ksu is division II.

Im not saying we are awesome yet but I at least think division I games will up the competitiveness and talent of opponents.

Toppin is a stat hunter. Nothing more. He's never had a double digit rebound game in his college career. Not even last night against a good high school team.

The game was a good confidence builder for the rest. Nothing to get from the game except that. This is a good team. Only going to get better. Of course Oscar changes everything but it's good to see a guy like Onyenso work. He's a rebounder. He keeps the alive until he can get it. Very Oscar like in that. He's got great hands.

As the OP said, Frederick is a surprise. He's much more than a shooter. He's not terrible on defense. He's never gonna be on the SEC all defense team but he's not a stiff like Toppin, Brooks, Allen, etc. that have and do play here. He's a good passer. He can make the entry pass. Wheeler should learn that from him.

Reeves is better than most thought he would be at this level. Livingston is already what we hoped Hopkins would be last year.

Very good team we have here!

Toppin is a stat hunter. Nothing more. He's never had a double digit rebound game in his college career. Not even last night against a good high school team.

The game was a good confidence builder for the rest. Nothing to get from the game except that. This is a good team. Only going to get better. Of course Oscar changes everything but it's good to see a guy like Onyenso work. He's a rebounder. He keeps the alive until he can get it. Very Oscar like in that. He's got great hands.

As the OP said, Frederick is a surprise. He's much more than a shooter. He's not terrible on defense. He's never gonna be on the SEC all defense team but he's not a stiff like Toppin, Brooks, Allen, etc. that have and do play here. He's a good passer. He can make the entry pass. Wheeler should learn that from him.

Reeves is better than most thought he would be at this level. Livingston is already what we hoped Hopkins would be last year.

Very good team we have here!
I was just thinking as I was reading your post and pretty well agreeing with you on Toppin. I hate to give him a hard time and I think he will play much better, but I bet he'd be the first to tell you his play in these exhibitions hasn't been very good and must improve.

So, it occurred to me, Toppin may need Oscar on the floor as much as anyone else. It seems to me that he feels the pressure of leading, rebounding, scoring, and even playmaking when Oscar is out. That's the way he looked to me- like he was playing with an extra weight on his shoulders. He didn't look like he did in the Bahamas at all. The only difference I can see is Oscar being out.

What do you think?

Reactions: westerncat
Personally I think we blow the doors off MSU. Especially if we have a full roster.

I think it might be a blessing that Oscar and Wheeler are sitting out during these games so Wallace, Ware, Onyenso, Thiero, can get more experience early even if it is against Div. 2 teams. Loved what I saw in the game.

I was just thinking as I was reading your post and pretty well agreeing with you on Toppin. I hate to give him a hard time and I think he will play much better, but I bet he'd be the first to tell you his play in these exhibitions hasn't been very good and must improve.

So, it occurred to me, Toppin may need Oscar on the floor as much as anyone else. It seems to me that he feels the pressure of leading, rebounding, scoring, and even playmaking when Oscar is out. That's the way he looked to me- like he was playing with an extra weight on his shoulders. He didn't look like he did in the Bahamas at all. The only difference I can see is Oscar being out.

What do you think?
I’d agree that this might be part of it. But the greater issue, imo, is Toppin wants to be in the league. And there are certain things those scouts have told him he must demonstrate this year to make that happen.

I’m not sure what they told him, but it has to involve - dramatically improving his handles, becoming a capable three-point shooter, and generally being more than a highlight reel dunker.

So I believe we’re seeing Toppin attempt to do this. To showcase his individual development (which honestly is quite minimal) rather than merely help the team win at all costs. Unfortunately, if he had worked on his handles it would help both his cause and the team’s - but it remains the weakest part of his game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT