ADVERTISEMENT

If anyone says 'this one's on Cal...

The missed FT was huge but you foul with 6 or 7 seconds to go and don't let UF tie the game. Most Head Coaches across the country fouls if up by 3 with 10 seconds or so to go in the game. This was huge a loss tonight. UK up 41-31 with about 2 minutes to go in the half and could have finished up 14 or 15 points but UF scores last 5 and score was 41-36 half. Mitchell in most games scores 14 or 15 points and tonight had 5 and was 0/5 from 3 and 2/10 FG. If Mitchell plays like he normally does each game then we win tonight. The big FT really hurt UK tonight and if he hits that FT then UK wins. Still, you foul with 6 or 7 seconds to go in the game up by 3!

They need a punch in the mouth. We lost this game because of a missed FT by RD and Mitchell's inability to make any kind of shot aside from a couple in the lane. He missed probably 5 or 6 wide open 3s and Ugo, while he really played really well overall, doesn't understand how to finish at the rim. I really don't think Cal told him not to dunk from within 3 feet of the rim. These things and some bad TOs by Reed added on, cost us the game. It also doesn't help when the opposing team has a guard that was 8 for 9 from 3.
Cal lost it when he didn't foul with 3 seconds left. Sorry but a foul before the shot would have won the game.

Reactions: Girthang
They need a punch in the mouth. We lost this game because of a missed FT by RD and Mitchell's inability to make any kind of shot aside from a couple in the lane. He missed probably 5 or 6 wide open 3s and Ugo, while he really played really well overall, doesn't understand how to finish at the rim. I really don't think Cal told him not to dunk from within 3 feet of the rim. These things and some bad TOs by Reed added on, cost us the game. It also doesn't help when the opposing team has a guard that was 8 for 9 from 3.
Shouldn't have came down to a free throw.

You would think Cal would be so embarrassed he would step down and take a year off. Then take a job on the west coast were nobody pays attention. Go anywhere west of the Mississippi and waste away. In Lexington Kentucky the coach has to provide energy and confidence that your players see and feed off of. Cal has lost his mind energy and ability and wants to milk it til we pitch fork him. Get out and give us our Team Back.

Hey OP you are a moron to think this is not on Cal. Why do all other responders not agree with your idiotic post. Please have your head examined.

Sorry, Cal recruited them. This one is on Cal.
This is the obvious answer. This is a patch-work team assembled at the last bit when everyone was wondering if Cal was going to even fill out the roster. It's not like Cal was prudent and thoughtful in recruiting and piecing together a solid roster of talent who was best suited to play together ... no, Cal doesn't do that ... too much work and he's in the twilight of his career so, hard work ain't happening. It's easier to play OAD and pirate out of the portal with whatever is left over. Coasting and running his mouth to defend this malfeasance is the order of the day and please do not question him ... he doesn't like to be questioned. Just sit back and enjoy the season.

This one’s on Cal . I’ll be waiting.

I'm not going to disagree with any points made about Cal's coaching tonight or any of the misques made by our players.
Only thing I'll point out is it was Florida at home.
Florida is currently outside the field of 68.
It doesn't bode well for our chances to beat a good team on a neutral court in March.
We shouldn't have to play and coach a nearly flawless game to get a win over Florida at home.
I agree that we should have fouled up three and that Reed should have got the ball instead of being the inbounder.
If those things happen we probably come away with a victory tonight but no closer to being a contender.

In the past 4 seasons, our SEC record now stands at 39-22, with a top class almost every season. We haven't been to a Final Four 9 years running and the list goes on. I'll take my punch when you're ready.

dAt ReEd n TRe fAuLt.

While, once again, I am hugely disappointed in this team's performance thus far, they gave themselves about a 98% chance to win and Cal blew it for them like he did in the St Peter's game and countless other times. He is an egotistical, obstinate, and unrelentingly stubborn old coot, who also lacks high intelligence needed at the end of games to nail down the victory for his team.

Yet again, he chooses not to foul at the end though only less than 13 seconds remained. He has two proven outstanding FT shooters in Reeves and Sheppard to act as closers, provided of course he uses one of two timeouts remaining at the time before the FT's at 13.5 sec left to ensure that those guys get the ball. One of them should have gotten the ball, and if they happened to miss one, then you foul or invite them to shoot a two-point shot.

He lost a championship because of his choice not to foul. He lost to St Peter's because he didn't use available timeouts to lead his team and tell them explicitly what to do to win. The evidence says that he abandons his kids when they need him the most. His end-of-game coaching is some of the worst in America today.

We won this game until he stepped in to cause us to lose it.

While, once again, I am hugely disappointed in this team's performance thus far, they gave themselves about a 98% chance to win and Cal blew it for them like he did in the St Peter's game and countless other times. He is an egotistical, obstinate, and unrelentingly stubborn old coot, who also lacks high intelligence needed at the end of games to nail down the victory for his team.

Yet again, he chooses not to foul at the end though only less than 13 seconds remained. He has two proven outstanding FT shooters in Reeves and Sheppard to act as closers, provided of course he uses one of two timeouts remaining at the time before the FT's at 13.5 sec left to ensure that those guys get the ball. One of them should have gotten the ball, and if they happened to miss one, then you foul or invite them to shoot a two-point shot.

He lost a championship because of his choice not to foul. He lost to St Peter's because he didn't use available timeouts to lead his team and tell them explicitly what to do to win. The evidence says that he abandons his kids when they need him the most. His end-of-game coaching is some of the worst in America today.

We won this game until he stepped in to cause us to lose it.

Absolutely nailed it. Coached his way out of titles more than he ever coached teams into them. THAT'S why he markets that "it's about the kids" and not about titles and tournaments.

How about the defense leaving 3pt shooters with open shots? How about fouling with a 3pt lead so you don't give up the only shot that ties the game? How about drawing up a play for a cramping player just put back into the game?

Reactions: crestcat
There’s got to be a point where some people realize there’s been one common denominator these last several years at UK. It’s all piling on, yet some want to try and blame anyone other than Cal.

It’d be like going to a dr who is misdiagnosing and giving you crazy prescriptions, yet you sit there and say he was a pretty good dr 10 years ago. Might as well just stick with what I know!

Indefensible...

This coming from on of his biggest supporters.

The simple fact that we are up 3 with less than 10 seconds left and don't foul to put Florida at the line for a 1 and 1 is just, well, horrible coaching.

On top of this as Drew Franklin reminded on another message board...Calipari lost a NC by not fouling!!!!!!!!

Jesus, you know absolutely ZERO about Basketball

I'm not going to disagree with any points made about Cal's coaching tonight or any of the misques made by our players.
Only thing I'll point out is it was Florida at home.
Florida is currently outside the field of 68.
It doesn't bode well for our chances to beat a good team on a neutral court in March.
We shouldn't have to play and coach a nearly flawless game to get a win over Florida at home.
I agree that we should have fouled up three and that Reed should have got the ball instead of being the inbounder.
If those things happen we probably come away with a victory tonight but no closer to being a contender.
You're very right...if Cal does the smart, percentage plays, we win. There are countless examples in sports of wins being by razor thin margins, and after seeing Florida play out of their minds all night (they do match up well with us), we still had a huge edge until that was ripped away. I know my preference would have been to add one to our win column, stay in the hunt for the SEC lead, and go home happy while they had a gloomy plane ride home. But, by a frog hair, they win and we lose...big difference.

You're also right in saying, much to my disappointment, that we are not closer to being a contender. With this group, many undoubtedly departing on the first plane out of Lexington by even March, we'll have squandered yet another season of great promise.

I think Cal had some failures here.

1. I think Edwards minutes are being cut, and we're lying about the injury to protect him. He was injured last game but played. He was well enough to run up and down the court and jump, but not well enough to start? And that's cool and all except...we needed bodies. Which leads me to #2.

(I know people are going to say Edwards is awful, but he's a body that could have provided a rest for the others. He's further along than Burks).

2. Guys played way too much. Reed played 45 minutes. Reeves 37, Ugonna 34, Mitchell 38, Rob 39. Even in an overtime game, that's way too much. Guys were gassed. We needed subs. Thiero left and was presumed too injured. Then he came in for Rob for a brief stretch.

3. Not fouling up 3. Maybe there's an argument for not doing it. But with a team that has a lot of defensive errors...you foul up 3. You just have to. Because you can't rely on the guys to lock down a defensive possession.

I don't think this means the season is over. It's hard to evaluate how good we are when we're missing a key player. We're 0-2 without DJ. And While a lot of people here seem to think DJ is awful--our winning percentage is a lot better with him.

Thick. Slow. Dense. On the spectrum. Just random words.

The only thing I think cal deserves heat for is not fouling up 3 in regulation. Other than that these damn kids missed too many layups and dilly pissed down his leg at the foul line.

That's an egregious error though. You don't foul for a 1and1?

Meh, piss poor coaching. I'm tired and just exhausted of the disappointment.

That's an egregious error though. You don't foul for a 1and1?

Meh, piss poor coaching. I'm tired and just exhausted of the disappointment.
Yeah I was in the moment when I posted that. I was so angry about the missed gimme’s. Cal did make a horrible error not fouling but that wasn’t even his only one. He should have called the timeout on the inbound as well

It was a shitshow. Plenty of blame to go around.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Despite all that, the players still had put the team in a position to win the damn game. That is where Cal has to step up and do his damn job with strategy. They can only tie with a three so take that away. Now if they players fail to get the rebound on the missed free throw that is on the players. Not fouling up 3 is 100% inexcusable by Cal. He let the only thing he could control bite the team in the ass. Cal shit the bed when it mattered.
Like always! Never fails!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT