ADVERTISEMENT

Two things need to be done

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
1. Edwards needs to be benched, I have tried supporting him but it’s just not clicking and it hasn’t all season. I’ll never understand starting him and 2 minutes into the game taking him out….. just start Reed or Rob if you’re going to do that. He’s a liability, he played 23 minutes tonight and only shot ONCE! He’s lazy with the ball, cannot make simple shots, bad at defense, turnover prone…. Why is he playing? He brings nothing to the team at the moment.

2. I really wish Cal would play a zone with this team, I’m sure he won’t but he needs to give it a chance. Why continue to play man when everyone is getting beat off the dribble?

1. Edwards needs to be benched, I have tried supporting him but it’s just not clicking and it hasn’t all season. I’ll never understand starting him and 2 minutes into the game taking him out….. just start Reed or Rob if you’re going to do that. He’s a liability, he played 23 minutes tonight and only shot ONCE! He’s lazy with the ball, cannot make simple shots, bad at defense, turnover prone…. Why is he playing? He brings nothing to the team at the moment.

2. I really wish Cal would play a zone with this team, I’m sure he won’t but he needs to give it a chance. Why continue to play man when everyone is getting beat off the dribble?
Cow will stick with that lineup. Just like he did until the end of 2020 when he finally let Quickly into it. He's beyond stubborn.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Bradshaw is getting close to unplayable imo. Crazy given he and Edwards were near the top of the recruiting boards. Bradshaw seemed to play a little better tonight.

Oh you sweet, sweet naive child…I feel like I could take your post but change the title to “2 things that Cal will never do” and it would be accurate.

I agree with 1. At this point I don't see why he should get more minutes than Burks or Harte.

As for defense I don't see how it will help because if you can't get them to play decent defense
in man to man how are you going to get them to play a good zone? And what about inbound plays?
We just look uncoached on defense.

Bradshaw is getting close to unplayable imo. Crazy given he and Edwards were near the top of the recruiting boards. Bradshaw seemed to play a little better tonight.
Bradshaw had his best game tonight IMO since the first few games. He played as hard as I’ve seen him play all year and got a season high 8 boards. He only scored 4 points but wasn’t that involved offensively but was very active overall. Haven’t seen him play this way all year. Think Big Z’s performance on Saturday gave him a wake up call on getting after it, hopefully he keeps that type of energy up.

Edit: 2nd highest board total of year. Had 11 vs Penn.

You're better than this. Stop looking at the recruitng boards and pay more attention to who is on the staff, the body language (which SUCKS) of these guys in games. The program is not trending in the right direction. It's alarming what's happening, and I believe it's tied to Cal wanting to have the most draft picks in one season. NONE of these (save Thiero) are getting after it on either end of the court. Every pick is half-assed, no one is truly glued to their guy the entire possession, no one is trying to tear down the rim. Soft, soft, soft.

Last edited:
You're better than this. Stop looking at the recruitng boards and pay more attention to who is on the staff, the body language (which SUCKS) of these guys in games. The program is not trending in the right direction. It's alarming what's happening, and I believe it's tied to Cal wanting to have the most draft picks in one season. NONE of these (save Thiero) are getting after it on either end of the court. Every pick is half-assed, no one is truly on their mind the entire possession, no one is trying to tear down the rim. Soft, soft, soft.
I was trying to be passive aggressive but my post was meant to imply pretty much what you said.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I agree with 1. At this point I don't see why he should get more minutes than Burks or Harte.

As for defense I don't see how it will help because if you can't get them to play decent defense
in man to man how are you going to get them to play a good zone? And what about inbound plays?
We just look uncoached on defense.
Zone is much easier to play and not as exhausting to play and could confuse some teams at times a well played zone should help on drives and should cut down on fouls. Draw backs are rebounding, and giving up open threes. 2-3 zone is not the best zone to play for good three point shooting teams, the best for good shooting teams are 1-2-2, 3-2, some match-up zone. And no one is saying play zone the whole game like Syracuse did, play mostly man to man if it's working if not try some zone. I think i remember a red hot ky team get cooled off by a 1-3-1 zone once by West Virginia team. Now after watch Cal coach those inbounds plays tonight im not sure he could teach a good zone.

I thought Bradshaw played hard tonight. He’s not built for a physical opponent like that but he fought hard . Harder than most . You know who would welcome that physicality and say bring it on ? That Shoulders kid for Lyon County.

This team is not only getting beat off the dribble constantly but they’re also leaving the perimeter wide open constantly. These two things should not coexist.

I don’t even care if Cal plays a zone. Play a goat weave. Play an entirely fictional gimmick made up defense just so for thirty seconds out of the night our opponent has to slow up and READ the defense instead of just barreling down on us full throttle with every single little thing they need to know about the exact defense we’re playing right now utterly set in their mind for days.

Bradshaw had his best game tonight IMO since the first few games. He played as hard as I’ve seen him play all year and got a season high 8 boards. He only scored 4 points but wasn’t that involved offensively but was very active overall. Haven’t seen him play this way all year. Think Big Z’s performance on Saturday gave him a wake up call on getting after it, hopefully he keeps that type of energy up.

Edit: 2nd highest board total of year. Had 11 vs Penn.
It looks to be center by committee for the rest of the year.
Any of the three could be our best or worst big on any given night.

I agree. Please mix in some zone!!! Let an assistant install it. It’s not rocket science and these players have all played it coming up.

When Adou gets back return to the original small ball lineup with Tre at center

Bench Edwards,move Mitchel back in post and split the four with Bradshaw and Z on offensive end at least.play Dilly and Reed at point and Wagner and Reeves st 2. 8 man rotation with Ugo coming in if a big gets in foul trouble. None of that will happen of course. This team is VASTLY overated right now. We have 1 good win so far,UNC. That's it. We have 3 bad losses,and yes anybody that thinks getting run out of gym by a middle of the pack USC team isn't a bad loss, is smoking crack

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT