ADVERTISEMENT

If anyone says 'this one's on Cal...

So:
-Use a timeout and get the ball in Reed’s hands for the free throws. Rob was hurt, somewhat.
-Get Mitchell out and play Bradshaw.
-Foul under 6 seconds and not give up a 3.
All of these things could’ve addressed during a timeout.
Again. This one is on the coach. All these superstars, and none of them can develop into defensive players? Coaching.
I think you stick with an experienced Senior over Bradshaw … but realize Mitchell played poorly on offense.

This one’s on Cal
Punch You Oh No GIF by GritTV

Cal runs the team. He chooses the staff and makes his own roster. The vast majority of responsibility for the teams performance is his.

WHY did Cal continue to ALLOW Mitchell and Dillingham to JACK UP bad shots????!!!!

WHY did Cal continue to play Reed on the Headband kid that was making EVERYTHING???!!!!

WHY did Cal NOT foul with a 3 pt lead before UF made a 3???!!!!!

This one is MOST DEFINITELY "On Cal!!!!!!"
This!! And he keeps saying Reeves is our best defender, why isn't he guarding Clayton??

while I've never agreed with the idea we needed Thiero to win a game, tonight I could be convinced we needed Wagner

but at the same time, Edwards might have balanced that out

They need a punch in the mouth. We lost this game because of a missed FT by RD and Mitchell's inability to make any kind of shot aside from a couple in the lane. He missed probably 5 or 6 wide open 3s and Ugo, while he really played really well overall, doesn't understand how to finish at the rim. I really don't think Cal told him not to dunk from within 3 feet of the rim. These things and some bad TOs by Reed added on, cost us the game. It also doesn't help when the opposing team has a guard that was 8 for 9 from 3.
We primarily lost because DJ wasn't playing, after that there were myriad secondary issues that made it harder to win.

They need a punch in the mouth. We lost this game because of a missed FT by RD and Mitchell's inability to make any kind of shot aside from a couple in the lane. He missed probably 5 or 6 wide open 3s and Ugo, while he really played really well overall, doesn't understand how to finish at the rim. I really don't think Cal told him not to dunk from within 3 feet of the rim. These things and some bad TOs by Reed added on, cost us the game. It also doesn't help when the opposing team has a guard that was 8 for 9 from 3.
No bad teams. Only bad leaders.
And I’ll die on that hill.

I agree to some degree. No one can guard, but he needs to come up with something different. Also have to foul when up 3. The three has been around for almost 40 years now, and I’ve only seen that strategy backfire twice, and I’ve watched a pretty good amount of games in that time.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He choose to not foul up 3

Despite all that, the players still had put the team in a position to win the damn game. That is where Cal has to step up and do his damn job with strategy. They can only tie with a three so take that away. Now if they players fail to get the rebound on the missed free throw that is on the players. Not fouling up 3 is 100% inexcusable by Cal. He let the only thing he could control bite the team in the ass. Cal shit the bed when it mattered.

His team his players 10 million a year another embarrassing loss at Rupp. Totally out coached at the end. Cals fault.

Don’t you find it odd how many wide open 3s other teams get the last several years? Sorry but good coaching corrects this. I know! It’s too late in the year for this continue to happen. If it was coached and taught correctly it would not be this bad. Can’t blame every year on the player. Can‘t disagree with this!

Plenty of blame to go around. Reed, Mitchell and Cal (in that order) cost us the game.
Bullshit. Despite everything people want to criticize the players on, they still had put the team in a position to win the game. Cal cannot control shots going in or missed etc but he sure as hell can control the strategy and when it came time to do his job and influence/control the game he froze and pissed down his leg.

Bullshit. Despite everything people want to criticize the players on, they still had put the team in a position to win the game. Cal cannot control shots going in or missed etc but he sure as hell can control the strategy and when it came time to do his job and influence/control the game he froze and pissed down his leg.
If Reed even plays a tiny amount of defense we win the game big. If he doesn’t leave his man with 5 seconds left we win the game.

• Haha
You could blame several people. Definitely an inexcusable loss IMO. Can't afford to lose games like that when you already lost to UNCW and USCjr. Stings a lot, this team's inability to play defense amazes me. We are too far in the season without any shown improvement. Our offense is good but our defense must make strides in the right direction. All is not lost, but definitely a bad loss tonight. Especially when we had the win in hand.

If Reed even plays a tiny amount of defense we win the game big. If he doesn’t leave his man with 5 seconds left we win the game.
If Cal instructs them to foul BEFORE that shot we win. Did Cal think all of a sudden the team that hasn’t stayed in front of the ball all year or play D just now might get it? That was stupid on his part.

Last edited:
Not fouling at the end when UF is in regular bonus is coaching malpractice. Cal loses these games because he’s too lazy to practice end game situations or pay attention to any of the other minor details that win these types of games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT