ADVERTISEMENT

List of Coaches to Replace Cal.

He's interesting? He's 70 years old, destroyed Louisville's program and has openly disrespected us at every turn since he left.

He’s the only name on that list we know can get to the championship level. That’s the irony of the lost out on here. He’s the only one and we don’t want him but it’s not because of his lack of coaching ability.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
bugs-bunny-yosemite-sam.gif

• Haha
He’s the only name on that list we know can get to the championship level. That’s the irony of the lost out on here. He’s the only one and we don’t want him but it’s not because of his lack of coaching ability.
We don't know that. Rick today isn't the Rick of the 90's. Rick is as much of a risk as anyone at this point. Not to mention all the baggage that comes with him.

Another fair weather fan. Bitch and whine, bitch and whine. If you’re a real fan, you’ll support our coach. You don’t have to like him, but that doesn’t mean you can’t support him.
I believe my post went way over your head. I’ve supported Cal since Day 1, just check my previous post defending him. I started the post, so the people that start a new post everyday wanting a new coach would have 1 thread to post in; instead of starting a new one everyday. Just ignore my thread, if it upsets you.

I’m not going to trashing Cal, but I’m done supporting him. I supported him when he was hired, after 2015, but after the Gonzaga beat down I was finally done. Something isn’t right with Cal, and if you can’t see that by now that’s on you not me.

We don't know that. Rick today isn't the Rick of the 90's. Rick is as much of a risk as anyone at this point. Not to mention all the baggage that comes with him.
There is no risk of Pitino as a coach. The media would make a circus out of UK hiring him but he would do fine. These kids would get a chance to be successful and would know what it’s like to play for a real coach.

There is no risk of Pitino as a coach. The media would make a circus out of UK hiring him but he would do fine. These kids would get a chance to be successful and would know what it’s like to play for a real coach.
Seems odd he had to cheat to generate that success at UL if he was a real coach still. Not to mention CCC could always be counted on to beat Pitino. Sure seems ironic to cal Pitino a real coach when he has an abysmal record against the guy we want to replace. 🤣

Brad Steven’s has been and will be the only correct answer. Throw that FU money at him and I guarantee he has a price. They all do

Let’s keep a running list of coaches we should hire to replace Cal. Every time a coach wins a game against a descent team someone starts a new thread about hiring that coach to replace Cal. I’m not supporting Cal, but it’s really difficult to keep up with the coaches we want to hire. Please use this thread to post the name of who you want to hire to be our new coach. Just keep bumping the thread and by the end of the BB season we will all know who our next coach will be for the 2023-2024 season.
Chris Beard

Cal’s replacement hasn’t been named in this thread. Most people that have been named wouldn’t take the job. A lot of names mentioned wouldn’t be anywhere close to Cal in recruiting, but would be better with in game coaching. Keep listing your choices to replace Cal. Cal will be here, until he decides to leave. No one knows when that day will come not even Cal. Whoever the coach is that’s winning big at that time will be the person most will support to be the next UK coach, but that doesn’t mean UK will get him. I started this thread as a joke, and it’s getting the response I expected. Mark Pope GMAFB.

Reactions: MackDaddyCat
Let’s keep a running list of coaches we should hire to replace Cal. Every time a coach wins a game against a descent team someone starts a new thread about hiring that coach to replace Cal. I’m not supporting Cal, but it’s really difficult to keep up with the coaches we want to hire. Please use this thread to post the name of who you want to hire to be our new coach. Just keep bumping the thread and by the end of the BB season we will all know who our next coach will be for the 2023-2024 season.
Are you nuts? Take your meds and you will be fine.

The fact that some of you list Scott Drew tells me you have no clue what you're talking about.

Drew has been past the sw16 3 times in 20 years. Only 1 of those was in the past decade. Are you all going to be good with that kind of record?

Eric Musselman has done nothing. His rise to fame is 2 E8's! He chokes in big games and spends most of the gane flailing on the sidelines like a whiny school girl.

Nate Oats is awful! Full stop!

Chris Beard teams plays a more boring style than Cal. His better teams also underachive often. He's also not leaving TX.

Tommy Lloyd has been a HC all of 1 full season and that was mostly with someone else's team. I also don't see why he would leave Arizona.
None of those coaches have had access to the type of talent they can get at Kentucky.

None of those coaches have had access to the type of talent they can get at Kentucky.
Sure they have. Arkansas has 4 - 5 players currently listed as first round picks. Musselman has recruited pretty strongly for them since 2019. They have had multiple top 10 classes.

Drew has had some really good recruiting classes at Baylor, which has a lot more talent than a place like KY. He's put several players in the NBA as well.

Oats inhereted some former 5* players at bama and has recruited several others. They have had strong recruiting.

Lloyd was a great recruiter at Zona, inhereted a strong roster at Zona that was full of 4* and 5* players Sean Miller recruited and left when he was fired.

Those coaches all had access to the same players we did and won many of those recruiting battles we were involved in as well. Just claiming otherwise doesn't make it factual.

Last edited:
Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Sure they have. Arkansas has 4 - 5 players currently listed as first round picks. Musselman has recruited pretty strongly for them since 2019. They have had multiple top 10 classes.

Drew has had some really good recruiting classes at Baylor, which has a lot more talent than a place like KY. He's put several players in the NBA as well.

Oats inhereted some former 5* players at bama and has recruited several others. They have had strong recruiting.

Lloyd was a great recruiter at Zona, inhereted a strong roster at Zona that was full of 4* and 5* players Sean Miller recruited and left when he was fired.

Those coaches all had access to the same players we did and won many of those recruiting battles we were involved in as well. Just claiming otherwise doesn't make it factual.
Over the long haul they haven’t had the talent we’ve had, but they’ve done more with what they have had.

Over the long haul they haven’t had the talent we’ve had, but they’ve done more with what they have had.
I would disagree with them doing more. Drew has had several strong recruiting classes and has only made it through the sw16 once since 2012. That was in 2021 when they won the title and had one of the most talented rosters in the country. He has also never won a BIG12 tournament and has only won the Big12 regular season conference twice, both the last 2 years.

Musselman has been one of the top recruiters since 2019 and has 2 E8's.

Oats and Lloyd haven't made it through the sw16. Granted Lloyd gas only coached one tournament.

Any of them have worse records than Cal and would be total gamble hires.

I sure as hell hope we aren't dumb enough to pay a large buyout for someone of that level.

I would disagree with them doing more. Drew has had several strong recruiting classes and has only made it through the sw16 once since 2012. That was in 2021 when they won the title and had one of the most talented rosters in the country. He has also never won a BIG12 tournament and has only won the Big12 regular season conference twice, both the last 2 years.

Musselman has been one of the top recruiters since 2019 and has 2 E8's.

Oats and Lloyd haven't made it through the sw16. Granted Lloyd gas only coached one tournament.

Any of them have worse records than Cal and would be total gamble hires.

I sure as hell hope we aren't dumb enough to pay a large buyout for someone of that level.
I’m not backing anyone at this time. I want Cal to right the ship, but I’m just not sure he can. If you think Drew has had the same amount of talent we have had since Cal has been here, I don’t know what to tell you. No one has with the possible exception of Duke. Baylor has had some really good talent the past 3-5 years, but before that they didn’t come close to what we’ve had.

As far as Musselman goes, he’s had talent similar to us the past two seasons and has 2 Elite 8s to show for it. We don’t have a single win.

Stupid thread made by children

Reactions: gojvc
I don’t have a list. I’ve said for a while, there are no home run hires for the past few years or next couple. Someone has to emerge as a clear leader. There is no one yet. Calipari was the clear leader in 2009. He’s gone downhill at this point but he was the clear leader at that time and it wasn’t close.

The clear leader for a program like Kentucky isn’t there right now. I only see possible NBA heads and assistants as the leader type coaches who could bring the flare necessary to step in and make Kentucky rise to the top. Even with those guys in mind, no one gets me excited for the future of the program.
I agree with this.

I would hire Pearl as a 5 year stop gap and wait for an obvious successor to emerge.

Given the current climate, Pearl's previous "transgressions" look like child's play. No one should really care anymore. He would provide an immediate injection of enthusiasm, which this program SORELY needs right now.

If he can recruit Auburn, what do you think he would do at UK? His style of play is highly entertaining, and he might mess around and win a championship during his stewardship.

No way it happens...but that is what I would do.

It's really not though. It's a P5 school with a lot of wealthy donors and a very talent rich state. Baylor is a good school as well. It shouldn't be hard to win there at all.

Of course, then people talk about the player murder, however, Drew made the E8 in 2009 and 2012, then didn't make it past a SW16 again until 2021. So why the long drought? He was recruiting really well during that period, too!

It's odd you have convinced yourself that these coaches won't come but are convinced Musselman will. It's also odd that you think NBA guys won't come when 2 of our last 4 coaches were NBA guys. So, yes, it's odd!

Musselman isn't getting hired because he isn't going to get interviewed with that record. We already made a desperation hire in BCG, we don't need another.

It's also odd you continually ignore the fact he's emotionally not capable of handling it here. https://nypost.com/2022/11/24/arkansas-eric-musselman-in-wild-scuffle-with-san-diego-state-fans/
2 of our last 4 coaches were NBA failures. Successful NBA coaches have no reason to come here.

I think he would do a great job, but I think it would take a few years to get it really rolling. There will probably be a big exodus after Cal leaves, and none of the guys remaining would be players that Sampson recruited to fit into his system. Sampson will be 70 soon and I doubt he is up for revamping a system, even if it is a blue blood.
There's a big exodus every year.

ADVERTISEMENT