ADVERTISEMENT

Lindy's preseason mag picks UK as the 6th best LB unit in the nation.

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
Here are the top ten LB units in 2017 according to Lindy's.

1. Georgia

2. Virginia Tech

3. TCU

4. USC

5. Oklahoma

6. Kentucky

7. Alabama

8. Washington

9. Wisconsin

10. Miami

For long time UK football fans, to see a Kentucky defensive unit ranked in the top ten in anything positive is mind blowing.

Jordan Jones and Denzel Ware are potentially the best tandem in the SEC and the country at their positions.. Again, potentially. Ware is a DE/LB that can rush and cover. I look forward to seeing Courtney Love making a big leap as well. Josh Allen, Eli Brown and Kash Daniel have grown and are more agressive now. Hope they all play fast and smart. Kobie Walker has something to prove too.

Jordan Jones and Denzel Ware are potentially the best tandem in the SEC and the country at their positions.. Again, potentially. Ware is a DE/LB that can rush and cover. I look forward to seeing Courtney Love making a big leap as well. Josh Allen, Eli Brown and Kash Daniel have grown and are more agressive now. Hope they all play fast and smart. Kobie Walker has something to prove too.

Kobie Walker actually transferred but I agree on everything else you said

Reactions: vikingfer
Better than that: no 14 OL, and no 25 DB

Do you remember the good old days when we had trouble having any unit finish in the top ten in the SEC. let alone the nation.

Wait, that wasn't the good old days, it was pretty miserable, and it was only a few years ago.

Reactions: UKCatnNC and cat888
Have not read any national football publication in years.
If Kash and Courtney improve (and I think they will) along with Jordan, Eli, Denzel, plus Josh I understand the ranking. Kash is a headhunter and has body for middle lb. Understand he's worked very hard over the winter to improve his game! O. line imo will be strength of offense and I probably need to read about 13 o.lines ranked higher!

Reactions: cat888
Fantastic! I think there is room for a jump with our DBs too. Westry needs to look more like freshman Westry, not sophomore, and having West could be huge.

LETS GO CATS!

1. Georgia

2. Virginia Tech

3. TCU

4. USC

5. Oklahoma

6. Kentucky

7. Alabama

8. Washington

9. Wisconsin

10. Miami

For long time UK football fans, to see a Kentucky defensive unit ranked in the top ten in anything positive is mind blowing.

Wow. I know we like our group, but it sure is nice to see it get recognized. They best be working hard to match expectations!

Reactions: TNTUK
Thats awesome and I agree with the LB ranking. In the past UK seemed to always have 1 stud LB who would rack up a million tackles but he was also by himself. This is easily the best group of LBs that I can remember at UK. Also glad to hear about the Oline and DBs. I think both seem about right and there is definitely room for improvement for the DBs. I think we know what we will get some Baity and Edwards. If Westry can get back to more like his freshman year and we find another safety we will be great. Griffin is also poised to have a big year as the #3 CB or nickle CB.

Reactions: Rockford and cat888
Stoops clearly likes his back seven. He admits its the front four that need to continue to develop and progress, and that he needs to recruit more talent to the line.
Yes, other than Jack, the front 4 has some work to do. However, I think we have some kids who can get it done, and the group is growing in number, maturity, and experience. I think it is fair to expect a lot of improvement up front this season, even if we are not yet loaded for bear with the unit.

1. Georgia

2. Virginia Tech

3. TCU

4. USC

5. Oklahoma

6. Kentucky

7. Alabama

8. Washington

9. Wisconsin

10. Miami

Sweet!

Great selling point on the publicity we are getting to these 4 star lb recruits who are visiting

Eli Brown was a four star. He could become our top LB but Jordan Jones is a natural freak in that role. Great problem to have.

PS don't know why I forgot about Walker leaving. Getting old and running on life's information overload with sick family problems. That will do it to you folks!

Do you remember the good old days when we had trouble having any unit finish in the top ten in the SEC. let alone the nation.

Wait, that wasn't the good old days, it was pretty miserable, and it was only a few years ago.

Yes, Jauk11, I remember the old days when various positions had only enough bodies to fill the minimum number of slots, and the o-line wore green jerseys in the spring game, and played both ways.

I remember numerous seasons when we recruited/signed the max, and only had 65 to 70 scholarship players eight months later.

I remember when we signed a true stud like Couch or Dennis Johnson, that all of us hoped and prayed that ONE stud could make us competitive.

I remember DECADES where the only top notch recruits we did sign were from the state of Kentucky, and they were pretty lonely in talent level upon arrival.

I remember that in even decent seasons, such as 2007, a defensive lineman had to switch, mid-season, to the other side of the ball, and then started the next game, because there was no one else to man the position (and it worked).

Now we see former four star recruits looking for a home in the off season, and the first question that arises is "how would we make room for him?"

We've had a few transfers that would have been contributors and even starters in most of the last 70 years of Kentucky football.

And we've had kids who make up their own recruiting profiles, fraudulently, who include us with the Bama's of the world, to impress their friends. (I wonder if Russia is behind some of this).

Times they are a' changing, my friend.

It is a testimony to this coaching staff but UK has a long history of producing great linebackers back many years.
Yes UK has a history of producing good linebackers, but not 5-6 of them at once. The 3-4 system either features linebackers or exposes linebackers. We have a deeper, more talented group of linebackers now than I can remember in the past, which is a tribute to Stoops' recruiting. If our defensive line plays well, that will allow the full talent of our linebackers to become more evident.

Yes, Jauk11, I remember the old days when various positions had only enough bodies to fill the minimum number of slots, and the o-line wore green jerseys in the spring game, and played both ways.

I remember numerous seasons when we recruited/signed the max, and only had 65 to 70 scholarship players eight months later.

I remember when we signed a true stud like Couch or Dennis Johnson, that all of us hoped and prayed that ONE stud could make us competitive.

I remember DECADES where the only top notch recruits we did sign were from the state of Kentucky, and they were pretty lonely in talent level upon arrival.

I remember that in even decent seasons, such as 2007, a defensive lineman had to switch, mid-season, to the other side of the ball, and then started the next game, because there was no one else to man the position (and it worked).

Now we see former four star recruits looking for a home in the off season, and the first question that arises is "how would we make room for him?"

We've had a few transfers that would have been contributors and even starters in most of the last 70 years of Kentucky football.

And we've had kids who make up their own recruiting profiles, fraudulently, who include us with the Bama's of the world, to impress their friends. (I wonder if Russia is behind some of this).

Times they are a' changing, my friend.

Excellent post, just what I was referring to.

Yes UK has a history of producing good linebackers, but not 5-6 of them at once. The 3-4 system either features linebackers or exposes linebackers. We have a deeper, more talented group of linebackers now than I can remember in the past, which is a tribute to Stoops' recruiting. If our defensive line plays well, that will allow the full talent of our linebackers to become more evident.

I like this group too but how does Micah Johnson, Braxton Kelly, Johnny Williams and Wesley Woodyard sound as a group of starting LB's? We also had pretty good depth with Schwindel, Mikhail Mabry, and Sam Maxwell. Jordan Jones is an elite talent like Woodyard but honestly I think the 2007 group was better. Maybe the current group will surpass them this year.

Reactions: 1stKatMan
Eli Brown was a four star. He could become our top LB but Jordan Jones is a natural freak in that role. Great problem to have.

PS don't know why I forgot about Walker leaving. Getting old and running on life's information overload with sick family problems. That will do it to you folks!

And it may have been coach speak or rewarding good practice habits by Brown or trying to put a foot in Jordans ass... But Eli had the starting nod over Jones in fall camp last year in mid August. Got a little banged up IIRC, Jones went from 1A to 1 and had a hell of a season, never looked back. I don't know if that means Eli is right there with Jones or if Jones made huge strides to separate himself after becoming the starter, but Eli is a guy with a lot if very good football ahead of him I believe.

Reactions: UKCatnNC and jauk11
I like this group too but how does Micah Johnson, Braxton Kelly, Johnny Williams and Wesley Woodyard sound as a group of starting LB's? We also had pretty good depth with Schwindel, Mikhail Mabry, and Sam Maxwell. Jordan Jones is an elite talent like Woodyard but honestly I think the 2007 group was better. Maybe the current group will surpass them this year.
Aside from Love, our current group of linebackers are freshmen, sophomores, juniors. So it's still a developing story. You won't get an argument from me about the excellence of Woodyard and Kelley, but our current group of linebackers (overall) looks much better in terms of both ongoing accomplishment and projection. Jordan Jones, Josh Allen, Denzel Ware are already receiving all conference mention. I won't go through the whole list, but it's an impressive group. By the time they graduate, I think this group will be highly regarded. This is the 1st time since Dennis Johnson was here that we have a real SEC pass rush. In the 3-4, that's mostly due to our outside linebackers. Although you named some fine linebackers from 2007, that defensive unit was not a standout SEC unit. We will see, but I think we are about to see a huge improvement in UK's defense this year in every respect.

I think we have a good group and may well be a top rated unit nationally, and I especially like Ware and Jones . . . but there is not one coach in America that would take our LB corps over Alabama (and I have not even looked at their roster), Saban is just on a different planet recruiting than any other college team other than possibly Ohio State.

I think we have a good group and may well be a top rated unit nationally, and I especially like Ware and Jones . . . but there is not one coach in America that would take our LB corps over Alabama (and I have not even looked at their roster), Saban is just on a different planet recruiting than any other college team other than possibly Ohio State.
If you haven't looked at their roster, then how do you know this? This presumption that UK just can't possibly have comparable positional talent compared to other SEC teams is dated, but remains a bugaboo with certain parts of our fan base as well as the media. Our talent level is vastly improved due to the quality of Stoops' 2014-2017 recruiting classes, all 4 of which will eventually be proved to have been underrated due the same presumptions. To be clear, I don't believe our overall roster is as talented as Saban's. But I believe this latest ranking of our linebackers may turn out to be accurate. Jones, Ware, Allen are potentially all SEC, and there is impressive quality depth. When excellent players like Eli Brown, Kash Daniel, Jordan Bonner aren't even in the starting picture, that's telling. Then we have a bunch of excellent freshmen too. This is a big time group of SEC linebackers.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKCatnNC and jauk11
Great news! We're getting better. In addition to the LB and DB proficiency, the stronger OL work will allow us to hold onto the ball, chew more clock, and keep our D off the field and fresh. Still a strong DL the most vital part of an effective D. With the upswing LB & DB talent and experience, if we can get the DL performance improved.....even if only incrementally, we could see dramatic improvement on the D overall. GBB!

Jordan jones is the most fun UK defensive player to watch that ive ever seen. Just relentless pursuit and a sure tackler. And ton of emotion.

Westry has to get it together. We thought he could be one of our best ever, now we barely mentipm him. Lots of blown coverages. Maybe read his press clippings as a freshman.

Reactions: bratboy
Jordan jones is the most fun UK defensive player to watch that ive ever seen. Just relentless pursuit and a sure tackler. And ton of emotion.

Westry has to get it together. We thought he could be one of our best ever, now we barely mentipm him. Lots of blown coverages. Maybe read his press clippings as a freshman.
Westry is an excellent pass defender who has become outshone a little bit by Derrick Baity, who is an all SEC type talent. Westry played through injury problems in 2016 but never complained about it. It's not easy to mirror SEC receivers when your ankle is not sound.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
I do love how UK is getting talent and will be more fun to watch. Still a tough schedule to overcome but besides Florida and Tennessee really no for sure losses, and several almost for sure wins.

I do love how UK is getting talent and will be more fun to watch. Still a tough schedule to overcome but besides Florida and Tennessee really no for sure losses, and several almost for sure wins.
I would say Georgia is our only for sure loss. They're stacked talent wise and it's an away game. Tennessee loses a lot from last year's team (including Dobbs who has single handily beaten us four years in a row) and Florida lost a lot of talent from their defense IIRC.

Unless your looking at this from the perspective that we literally never beat Tennessee and Florida. In that case I understand where you're coming from. [laughing]

Reactions: EliteBlue

To be fair he is a good cover guy never a great cover guy, he was remember for the int that sealed the win against USC his frosh year, His size helped make the play but it was a poorly thrown ball because the guy was open. But making plays when it counts determines outcomes and he made a great game winning int.. Now UK could have won the game without the int, but that slammed the door. It was a huge play.

Baity is our best DB, he is really good.
I think there is a legitimate argument to be made about who is our best defensive back, and that is a very good thing for this team. At the end of the day, Mike Edwards is 1 of the best returning defensive players in the SEC, and I think Darius West can be just as good if he is healthy. It won't surprise me if Jordan Griffin turns out to be our best corner. Davonte Robinson is going to be a fantastic player. But Baity is REALLY good, and Westry is also very good when he is fully healthy (he wasn't in 2016). Competition for those jobs will be intense.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT